PDA

View Full Version : Tiger to have season-ending knee surgery

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Two days after his thrilling playoff victory in the U.S. Open, Tiger Woods has announced that he will undergo season-ending reconstructive ACL surgery on his left knee

"While I am obviously disappointed to have to miss the remainder of the season, I have to do the right thing for my long-term health and look forward to returning to competitive golf when my doctors agree that my knee is sufficiently healthy," Woods said on his Web site. "My doctors assure me with the proper rehabilitation and training, the knee will be strong and there will be no long-term effects."

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/8258466/Tiger-to-have-season-ending-knee-surgery

this is going to hurt the pga now, unless rocco steps up..

OneForTheToe
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
That giant sucking sound you here is the collective gasp of the sponsors of the British Open, PGA, Rider Cup and Fed EX CUP. That's ok, maybe Phil will step up and .... oh never mind, that wasn't a monkey flying out my *ss it was just gas.

missedgehead
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
This is gonna be terrible for the PGA for sure.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
guess i will watch the ladies now..lol

missedgehead
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I can't stand golf anyway, but I like Tiger. He would be the only reason I would pay any attention to who wins or loses at whatever tournament.

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
golf is a great relaxing sport

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Amazing he ruptured his ACL while running in Orlando last summer and then went on a tear the rest of last season. Of course golf critics will argue it proves golf is not a sport if you can dominate with a blown out knee; apaprently it was the stress fractures that caused the visible pain during last weekend's incredible dispaly.

Lots of loose ends here, such as how getting the knee scoped after the Masters would help an unrepaired ACL tear.

As stated above, the PGA sponsors and broadcasters must be suicidal this afternon; without Tiger for the rest of this season golf is about as much of a ratings magnet as tennis.

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Man.....the first major injury. For most athletes, this signals the begining of the end.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Man.....the first major injury. For most athletes, this signals the begining of the end.

But as stated above, he played the best golf of his career after the ACL tear -incredible

One possibility he is shutting it down completely and getting the ACL fixed now is to do so before he compensates for the bad wheels by screwing up his swing and/or (the injury that usually takes golfers down) his back.

Preacher
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM

This is actually the second or third on the knee, if I remember right.

He was scoped a while ago as well.

I will say this much. Tiger has single-handedly thrust golf into the 21st century and breathed life into it as a TV sport again.

It is pretty cool that I can say to my children that there was a time that I lived when presumably the absolute best of hockey (Gretzky), Basketball (MJ), golf (Tiger), and football (Jerry Rice) were all playing at the same time.

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 04:34 PM
This is actually the second or third on the knee, if I remember right.

He was scoped a while ago as well.

I will say this much. Tiger has single-handedly thrust golf into the 21st century and breathed life into it as a TV sport again.

It is pretty cool that I can say to my children that there was a time that I lived when presumably the absolute best of hockey (Gretzky), Basketball (MJ), golf (Tiger), and football (Jerry Rice) were all playing at the same time.

Scoped and coming back in three weeks is different than major surgery forcing you out for the rest of the year.

And who's to know what the future might bring, my dad's sports icons were never mine. In 10 years it might be Crosby, Lebron, Tiger (or someone else), and Adrian Peterson or Tim Tebow.

Preacher
06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Scoped and coming back in three weeks is different than major surgery forcing you out for the rest of the year.

And who's to know what the future might bring, my dad's sports icons were never mine. In 10 years it might be Crosby, Lebron, Tiger (or someone else), and Adrian Peterson or Tim Tebow.

Actually,

His first surgery was to remove a benign tumor... which is a pretty serious operation.

The second was a scope.

The third was also a scope for cartilage damage.

Now this is going to be the fourth.

So he has been having knee problems for years.

I understand what your saying about icons... however, don't tell me you haven't heard stories about Namath, Guy LeFluer, The Broadstreet Bullies, Babe Ruth, etc.

The great ones always pass down through history. I just find myself a lilttle lucky as a sports fan to say that I saw three different players, the best their sport had to offer, in the same time. r

Jeremy
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Actually,

His first surgery was to remove a benign tumor... which is a pretty serious operation.

The second was a scope.

The third was also a scope for cartilage damage.

Now this is going to be the fourth.

So he has been having knee problems for years.

I understand what your saying about icons... however, don't tell me you haven't heard stories about Namath, Guy LeFluer, The Broadstreet Bullies, Babe Ruth, etc.

The great ones always pass down through history. I just find myself a lilttle lucky as a sports fan to say that I saw three different players, the best their sport had to offer, in the same time. r

I heard about them and more, but they mean nothing to me. We're a visual and tactile culture. We need to see and feel things to make them real to us. Sure I can see some grainy black and white footage of Ruth and sure I can see some of those old reels of the Bullies and Walter Payton. But they don't shine through like LeBron or Brady on my HDTV.

Plus every generation thinks they're the best. I've listened to stories about the Greatest Generation all my life. But I firmly feel that at 29 years old, I'm on the cusp of seeing a brand new Greatest Generation.

Atlanta Dan
06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
But I firmly feel that at 29 years old, I'm on the cusp of seeing a brand new Greatest Generation.

Because we are about to go through an earth shaking economic dislocation and or a major military conflict that will impact the entire society as occurred in the 1930s and 1940s?

Preacher
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Because we are about to go through an earth shaking economic dislocation and or a major military conflict that will impact the entire society as occurred in the 1930s and 1940s?

Hey...

The Bengals just may win a SB...

Wouldn't that count?

TackleMeBen
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey...

The Bengals just may win a SB...

Wouldn't that count?
on what planet are the bengals going to win the SB???? not on this one anytime soon:wink02:

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 10:01 AM

In case you hadn't noticed, we're already in the middle of the military conflict.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I think golf is as boring as it gets, but when Tiger is in a tourny, I tune in. The guy is not only one of the best pros I've ever seen, but a class act as well.

Get well soon Tiger - we'll look forward to your return! :drink:

TackleMeBen
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
i use to think golf was boring too.. but then my boyfriend talked me into going with him to play and i actually liked it.. i had played tiger woods on the xbox but its nothing like really being out there. i had a friend feel the same way about nascar, he thought it was boring and a redneck thing until i took him to charlotte for the all-star race and then he wanted to go back in october for the race, now he is a die hard fan.

maybe we shouldnt knock a sport until we at least try it or give it a chance.

The Duke
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
maybe we shouldnt knock a sport until we at least try it or give it a chance.

:thumbsup: exactly!

I never said anything about golf till I tried it, it was good,not amazing, but certainly not boring. also never had an opinion on soccer until I played it, it sucks btw

anyway, tiger's always been one of the best sporting figures out there, and I hope he comes back soon.

Atlanta Dan
06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
In case you hadn't noticed, we're already in the middle of the military conflict.

So this mobilization is the equivalent of World War II?

Guess I need to start paying more attention about the U.S. having re-enacted the draft, implemented rationing, decreed blackouts in coastal cities, and ceased the manufacturing of non-military motor vehicles.

Seriously - what makes you think we are setting up for a new Greatest Generation?

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 01:27 PM
So this mobilization is the equivalent of World War II?

Guess I need to start paying more attention about the U.S. having re-enacted the draft, implemented rationing, decreed blackouts in coastal cities, and ceased the manufacturing of non-military motor vehicles.

Seriously - what makes you think we are setting up for a new Greatest Generation?

We have a whole generation of kids fighting not against a dictator, but to preserve our very way of life.

My God man, if that's not a great generation I have no idea what is.

Atlanta Dan
06-20-2008, 05:10 PM
We have a whole generation of kids fighting not against a dictator, but to preserve our very way of life.

My God man, if that's not a great generation I have no idea what is.

A big chunk of the male component of the Greatest Generation literally was fighting.

If this "whole" generation of kids is fighting to preserve our very way of life, they are doing it through working at companies such as Google to preserve our economic superiority over India & China.

The brave men and women who are in Iraq & Afghanistan are a small % of the generation and IMO most of the generation's focus, unlike during WWII, is elsewhere.