PDA

View Full Version : NHL Rules Changes

SteelCityMan786
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241045&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_nhl

NHL APPROVES RULE CHANGES ON FACEOFFS, ICING

The National Hockey League's Board of Governors endorsed three key rule changes in its annual meeting on Wednesday that will be implemented at the start of the 2008-09 season.

The first change will be for Rule 76.2 on faceoffs, placing the first faceoff of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

Second, a change to Rule 81.1 on icing will state that, "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

The last change will be to Rule 85.5 on faceoff location, saying that if a puck is shot off the goal frame, goal post or crossbar, the subsequent faceoff will remain in the end zone where the puck went out of play.

Also, the league announced Wednesday that the board endorsed immediate and long-term recommendations provided by the Goaltender Equipment Working Group and the league's competition committee and will work with goalies and equipment manufacturers on standards for the maximum size of all equipment that a player can wear.

X-Terminator
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Feh...

The only 2 rules they need to get rid of is the ridiculous "over the glass" penalty and the instigator rule that handcuffs enforcers. The league will never get rid of the latter, so this is what we get. Good job, NHL!

pittsburghp8baller
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
i like the first rule. it was only a matter of time the NHL adopts it as the AHL is already uses it

the icing rule is a good one espcially after we saw that minnesota guy, i think it was schultz, break his leg trying to get a icing call

the last one, i guess they are jus trying to up scoring even more? this one really doesnt concern as much

Preacher
06-19-2008, 02:26 AM
Feh...

The only 2 rules they need to get rid of is the ridiculous "over the glass" penalty and the instigator rule that handcuffs enforcers. The league will never get rid of the latter, so this is what we get. Good job, NHL!

I agree with you completely Xterm..

Instigator rule needs to go away.

Also... They need to stop calling interference penalties...

Trust me.. without an instigator rule, there won't be much interference... and hockey will get some physicality back...

That, with the changes they already made with the ice and no center line (great changes) would be just about the right balance in my book...

then again... my book means diddly squat!

X-Terminator
06-19-2008, 05:45 AM
I agree with you completely Xterm..

Instigator rule needs to go away.

Also... They need to stop calling interference penalties...

Trust me.. without an instigator rule, there won't be much interference... and hockey will get some physicality back...

That, with the changes they already made with the ice and no center line (great changes) would be just about the right balance in my book...

then again... my book means diddly squat!

If the league is really serious about protecting its stars, then getting rid of the instigator is the only way to go. People I've talked to - newer fans - seem to think that getting rid of it means we'll go back to the "Slapshot" days with bench-clearing brawls every night, when all it would mean is that a player would instantly be held accountable for their antics on the ice, or pay the price if they cheap-shot Sid or Malkin or any other star player. Even if all they did was eliminate the extra 10-minute misconduct, it would give enforcers much more freedom to patrol the ice.

As for interference, they should still call it...when it actually is interference. If contact with a player prevents an obvious scoring chance, that's interference. If a player deliberately runs over the goalie, that's interference. But if you're just fighting for the puck or for position in front of the net, that's NOT interference. Yet those are the ones that constantly get called.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
If the league is really serious about protecting its stars, then getting rid of the instigator is the only way to go. People I've talked to - newer fans - seem to think that getting rid of it means we'll go back to the "Slapshot" days with bench-clearing brawls every night, when all it would mean is that a player would instantly be held accountable for their antics on the ice, or pay the price if they cheap-shot Sid or Malkin or any other star player. Even if all they did was eliminate the extra 10-minute misconduct, it would give enforcers much more freedom to patrol the ice.

As for interference, they should still call it...when it actually is interference. If contact with a player prevents an obvious scoring chance, that's interference. If a player deliberately runs over the goalie, that's interference. But if you're just fighting for the puck or for position in front of the net, that's NOT interference. Yet those are the ones that constantly get called.

:thumbsup:

Why can't we run the league? It'd be perfect!!

:wink02:

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Hockey needs physicality back in it.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Hockey needs physicality back in it.

Hockey needs the Hanson Brothers!!!! :chuckle:

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
"I'm trying to listen to the f%$king song"!

God I love that movie. Newman wore some SWWWWEEEEEEEET suits in that one!

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:33 PM
"I'm trying to listen to the f%$king song"!

God I love that movie. Newman wore some SWWWWEEEEEEEET suits in that one!

"You're a goalie... you're supposed to puke."

"Putting on the foil coach... want some?"

Billy.....MOVE!"

"Have any of you guys ever been to the palm isle?"

"Call the pizza man!"

"too much... too soon"

"Ogie Orgotorp? [in a quazi-french/Canadian accent]"

What a great movie.

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2008, 04:47 PM
The Big Thing I want to see change is the Overtime rule in the playoffs where they have Shootouts after 1 overtime period especially because of what happend in the SC Finals this year. Most people had to miss it because of work and some because of school.

X-Terminator
06-20-2008, 06:21 PM
The Big Thing I want to see change is the Overtime rule in the playoffs where they have Shootouts after 1 overtime period especially because of what happend in the SC Finals this year. Most people had to miss it because of work and some because of school.

No way. Gary Bettman has already taken a nice, long piss on NHL tradition - leave the playoff OT's alone. The playoffs are about heart, sacrifice and doing whatever it takes to win. Having shootouts in OT totally destroys that notion. If they have to play all night to win a game, then that's what they do, and if the fans miss it, then oh well. Shootouts are fine in the regular season - keep them out of the postseason.

Preacher
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
No way. Gary Bettman has already taken a nice, long piss on NHL tradition - leave the playoff OT's alone. The playoffs are about heart, sacrifice and doing whatever it takes to win. Having shootouts in OT totally destroys that notion. If they have to play all night to win a game, then that's what they do, and if the fans miss it, then oh well. Shootouts are fine in the regular season - keep them out of the postseason.

And if we can keep whistles out of the post season as well.... except in intent to injure and scoring chance plays.... like it used to be... then we would be getting somewhere.

Bettmen needs to go back to basketball.

pittsburghp8baller
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM

couldnt of put it better myself. i went to work on 3 1/2 hours sleep after the triple overtime game, and was miserable all day but it was worth it.

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Course he actually did something right with the Regular Season at least. I chose still to stay up and watch the game, but the nice thing was I had nothing major going on at School the next day.

oh and to Preacher, he won't be going back to Basketball. I'm pretty sure they don't want to see him back.

millwalldavey
06-20-2008, 11:39 PM
There just needs to be more scraps... it just seems to pretty and Euro now. The fights were such a great part of the game. Now theve basically outlawed them.

I remember my Blues of the 90's... Kelly Chase, Tony Twist, Bam Bam Basil Mc Rae... All on the ice at once!

BLues traded Jamal MAyers today... may become a Pens fan yet!

X-Terminator
06-21-2008, 01:01 AM
There just needs to be more scraps... it just seems to pretty and Euro now. The fights were such a great part of the game. Now theve basically outlawed them.

I remember my Blues of the 90's... Kelly Chase, Tony Twist, Bam Bam Basil Mc Rae... All on the ice at once!

BLues traded Jamal MAyers today... may become a Pens fan yet!

That whole division was tough in the mid 90s. The Blues had Chase, Twist and McRae, Toronto had Tie Domi, Wendel Clark and Ken Baumgartner; the Blackhawks had Cam Russell, Bob Probert, Jim Cummins and later Stu Grimson; Detroit also had Probert and Cummins in addition to Dennis Vial and Darren McCarty; and Winnipeg before they left for Phoenix had Domi, Kris King and Jim McKenzie. Even the Penguins at one time dressed Marty McSorley, McKenzie, Rick Tocchet and Kevin Stevens in the same lineup. There aren't even 5 teams in the league today with even half that much toughness in the lineup - those teams (except the Pens of course) all played in the same division.

Preacher
06-21-2008, 02:14 AM
The sad thing is,

Some of the great characters of the past would only be a footnote today... if that because of the rule changes. Think about these two for instance.

Esa Tikkanen...

Tiger Williams (the original Tiger!)

millwalldavey
06-21-2008, 01:37 PM
The sad thing is,

Some of the great characters of the past would only be a footnote today... if that because of the rule changes. Think about these two for instance.

Esa Tikkanen...

Tiger Williams (the original Tiger!)

Damn I loved Tikkanen... Craig MacTavish forever!