PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Boom at Gloucester High

TackleMeBen
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM
17 girls expecting babies at Massachusetts high school

As summer vacation begins, 17 girls at Gloucester High School are expecting babies—more than four times the number of pregnancies the 1,200-student school had last year. Some adults dismissed the statistic as a blip. Others blamed hit movies like Juno and Knocked Up for glamorizing young unwed mothers. But principal Joseph Sullivan knows at least part of the reason there's been such a spike in teen pregnancies in this Massachusetts fishing town. School officials started looking into the matter as early as October after an unusual number of girls began filing into the school clinic to find out if they were pregnant. By May, several students had returned multiple times to get pregnancy tests, and on hearing the results, "some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan says. All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together. Then the story got worse. "We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," the principal says, shaking his head....(continued)

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...0.html?cnn=yes (http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...0.html?cnn=yes)

wow. where are the parents??

The Duke
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy,

:jawdrop:

wtf? are people really becoming that stupid?

All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together.

so they think this is some kind of game huh, cute :coffee:

davidgrenier
06-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Well aren't these girls just the paragon of family vaues? I mean, after all, it's not like they're gay or used birth control or anything evil like that.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I feel the most compassion towards those poor unborn angels who are going to be raised by these irresponsible, selfish, careless (and boneheaded) teens.

Peer pressure runs rampant these days, but I blame a lot of what is happening to our younger generation on the lack of good parenting and the failure to raise these kids in a stable, moral environment. In addition, while the internet can be a useful tool for these youngins as far as their educational achievements are concerned, it can also be quite the detriment in leading these youngsters down the wrong paths.

millwalldavey
06-19-2008, 02:52 PM
In like 1975-1976... my friends mother was 16 and pregnant with him. At our school that year they had an entire separate gym class for the pregnant girls... she said there were like 20.

We've never seen anything like that since... but thats scary.

Those poor children are most likely going to be born without a future. I hope several of them ae given up for adoption.

lilyoder6
06-19-2008, 03:27 PM
y would u go around and sleep w/ a homeless person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean i'm 18 and i know i like having as much as the next person but thats is just sick is SO many ways... what a bunch of retarded girls up there... maybe these chicks who made a pack.. are skinny girls and want to get pregnant to put on a few pounds..... but other than that, it's just wrong..

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I feel the most compassion towards those poor unborn angels who are going to be raised by these irresponsible, selfish, careless (and boneheaded) teens.

Peer pressure runs rampant these days, but I blame a lot of what is happening to our younger generation on the lack of good parenting and the failure to raise these kids in a stable, moral environment. In addition, while the internet can be a useful tool for these youngins as far as their educational achievements are concerned, it can also be quite the detriment in leading these youngsters down the wrong paths.

Good for you. Too often people blame the kids when the real blame lies with the parents. Kids won't know right from wrong if they're never taught the difference.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Good for you. Too often people blame the kids when the real blame lies with the parents. Kids won't know right from wrong if they're never taught the difference.

Kids are extremely perceptive - more than we give them credit for. They tend to mimic their parents' behaviors, even those behaviors that are detrimental to their physical, mental and emotional well-being. If the parents aren't good role models for their children, have the morals of an alley cat and engage in unsavory behaviors, they have no one to blame but themselves when their kids get into a situation like that described above. Terribly sad.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
There is enough blame here to be spread ALL around...

Parents HAVE to be smarter about how they raise their children. Things pass through generations. Those babies are, more than likely, condemned to horrible upward climb to reach anything close to what we call normal... unless someone steps in and changes the situation.

The youth themselves ALSO are to blame. They are smart, they make decisions, they know the consequences of their actions.. though not the depths of those consequences. I have been a youth pastor NUMEROUS TIMES. Trust me, 16, 17 year old youth absolutely know what they are doing... and they ALSO are absolutely influenced by peer pressure...

Society is also to blame. Our culture is so sexualized at this point that it is actually a shock to watch a sit-com or a late-night show and have there NOT be at least 3-5 sexual references. When you keep putting in front of children and youth, what do you expect?

Oh yeah... and please tell me the 24 year old guy has been picked up and charged with statutory rape... PLEASE.

I can understand if it was his girlfriend, and she was a month from being 18.

But this is just ridiculous.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Society is also to blame. Our culture is so sexualized at this point that it is actually a shock to watch a sit-com or a late-night show and have there NOT be at least 3-5 sexual references. When you keep putting in front of children and youth, what do you expect?

You hit the nail on the head, Father. :thumbsup: When I mentioned the internet above, I did so for a reason. I can't tell you how many times I've happened upon internet sites, sports boards, etc. and see some of the most foul and raunchy comments made by adults that pre-teens and teenagers have access to. When my grandson is here, I am very careful about what I read on the net and what I post on this board, as I never know when he is looking over my shoulder. I know I can't shelter him from everything, but using good judgment, common sense and the good morals I was raised with is a helluva start.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Blaming society is a cop out, and a rather pathetic one at that.

When I was a kid in the 80s, I was never allowed to watch Miami Vice. My parents were liberals, but they understood what responsible parenting was all about.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Blaming society is a cop out, and a rather pathetic one at that.

When I was a kid in the 80s, I was never allowed to watch Miami Vice. My parents were liberals, but they understood what responsible parenting was all about.

Jeremy,

How involved are you with youth?

As a former youth pastor, society is one of the major issues. Not the major one, but one of them. It is what forms the structure which youth rebel against or accept, it helps define every aspect of life.

Your parents didn't let you watch miami vice... that is where the parents have responsibility. good for them. did they also check every radio station you listened to?

When you sexualize a culture, you will get sexualized people at a younger and younger age.

After all... what is culture and society, but a collective snapshot of individuals. The individuals create the society, which then creates it own momentum... internal inertia, which is then empowered by other individuals driving boundaries further.

and youth are still impressionable enough to get caught up in the inertia, yet they are also old enough to see through it... with parental help... which is why it is EVERYONE's fault... including the youth and society and parents.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I have three children. I cannot concieve a situation where I would blame society for the behavior of my children.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I have three children. I cannot concieve a situation where I would blame society for the behavior of my children.

Good.

Don't forget. I am speaking at the corporate level, not at the individual level.

I am glad you think the way you do.

In doing so, you protect your children from things on TV, radio, etc. etc. right? Why? Because they are things that can lead a child astray.

There is blame in that as well. No one gets a free pass.

TackleMeBen
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
i am like you HTG... my daughter is 9 and keeps asking me for her own computer with internet in her room.. i keep telling her no. i like it where i can see what she is doing on the internet, so my computer is in my family room where we spend most of our time.

i am not one to shield my children from most stuff. if she has a question i try to answer it or find someone that can. but in the sense of sexual content, i do draw the line.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Good.

Don't forget. I am speaking at the corporate level, not at the individual level.

I am glad you think the way you do.

In doing so, you protect your children from things on TV, radio, etc. etc. right? Why? Because they are things that can lead a child astray.

There is blame in that as well. No one gets a free pass.

This kind of OT, but things like that remind me a lot of the early Nazi rhetoric.

HometownGal
06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
This kind of OT, but things like that remind me a lot of the early Nazi rhetoric.

WHOA!!! I think you need to retract that statement, Jeremy. :yikes:

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Reductio ad Nazium arguments really don't work.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
WHOA!!! I think you need to retract that statement, Jeremy. :yikes:

I did not call anyone a Nazi. But blaming the decadence of society is a strategy that's been used since the beginning of time.

The most recent uses have been in the former Yugoslavia to justify ethnic cleansing and in Nazi Germany to justify the extermination of the Jews.

Preacher
06-19-2008, 07:07 PM
I did not call anyone a Nazi. But blaming the decadence of society is a strategy that's been used since the beginning of time.

The most recent uses have been in the former Yugoslavia to justify ethnic cleansing and in Nazi Germany to justify the extermination of the Jews.

I did not blame the decadence of society, but argued that society as a whole is driven by the individuals in it and thus, is part and parcel to the entire debate.

Jeremy
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I did not blame the decadence of society, but argued that society as a whole is driven by the individuals in it and thus, is part and parcel to the entire debate.

So by the extension of that logic, you fix society by fixing the individuals in that society.

Funny, because that's exactly what I was advocating.