PDA

View Full Version : Some things I would like to have seen as a Steeler Fan

BlastFurnace
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Dwight Stone and Willie Parker in a 100 meter race

Terry Bradshaw vs Bubby Brister to see who could throw it the farthest.

Louis Lipps...drafted in 1984...have Dan Marino...drafted in 1983...throwing it to him his entire career in a Steelers uniform.

Franco and Rocky healthy for the Championship Game against the Raiders.

The Steel Curtain, with all the benefits of modern supplementation, training, etc...in today's game.

Gabe Rivera....with a 10 year career.

Terry Bradshaw...not play that game against the Jets in 1983...come back in 1984 and play a couple of more years.

Rod Woodson, swallow his pride, and move to Safety for us in 1997.

Rod Woodson...again...trip on the Astro Turf when attempting to tackle Barry Sanders in that 1995 game...instead of what actually happened.

Rod Woodson...for the third time...healthy in Super Bowl XXX.

Jimmy Smith (The original one) not jump to the Birmingham Stallions and team up with John Stallworth after Lynn Swann retired.

Corey Holliday, to run the correct comeback route, instead of a fly pattern on Neil's 2nd pick in Super Bowl XXX.

Kordell Stewart...remain as Slash his entire career. (Why do I have a feeling I will regret writing this)

Barry Foster...without the injury problems. Of course, that probably means no Bus for us.

3 more yards against San Diego in the Championship Game...still my most painful Steelers loss.

Troy....just lay on the ground after intercepting Peyton Manning to ice the game. That game, I'm convinced, took 5 years off my life and I would like to have those years back.

John Kuhn....oh never mind.

tony hipchest
06-19-2008, 11:29 PM

im just taking this from his 2nd most recent book, but doesnt he STILL hold the national record for high school javelin throw?

nice post, and i doint think you will regret the "slash" part. its a popular sentiment.

Dodt
06-19-2008, 11:48 PM
the steelers in super bowl XXXIX
the bus making a touchdown run in XL
randel ell and burress staying for another season
a healthy troy in 07
big ben not getting the the cycle crach

Galax Steeler
06-20-2008, 03:38 AM
The very first super bowl in the 70's I was to young to remember.

LambertLunatic
06-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Dwight Stone and Willie Parker in a 100 meter race

Parker would take an early lead but lose it after tiring out after 75 meters

Depends on if the wind was blowing in from Lake Erie

There's no doubt in my mind that we'd have won the SB that year.

The Steel Curtain, with all the benefits of modern supplementation, training, etc...in today's game.

Only if they didn't have today's rules.

Gabe Rivera....with a 10 year career.

We'll never know if he'd have been the next Joe Green or the next Darryl Simms

Terry Bradshaw...not play that game against the Jets in 1983...come back in 1984 and play a couple of more years.

But then we'd have missed out on those great Cliff Stoudt years! l

Kordell Stewart...remain as Slash his entire career. (Why do I have a feeling I will regret writing this)

Don't regret writing that. He'd be winding down a Hall of Fame career had he stayed as Slash.

Troy....just lay on the ground after intercepting Peyton Manning to ice the game. That game, I'm convinced, took 5 years off my life and I would like to have those years back.

But it made the final quarter much more interesting.

Steeldude
06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
i would of liked to have seen the steelers draft marino.

kordell suffer a rotary cuff injury on his right arm(don't take it seriously, people)

a emotionally and physically healthy barry foster.

jack lambert as the steelers' LB coach.

olsavsky's knees to be healthy.

louis lipps to have the strongest and most durable hamstrings in the NFL.

you know what? i could be at this all day :smile:

Steeldude
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Corey Holliday, to run the correct comeback route, instead of a fly pattern on Neil's 2nd pick in Super Bowl XXX

a lot of people are unaware of that little bit of info :thumbsup:

DACEB
06-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Great post Blast, like Dude said, we could be here all day!!

If only they were, Madden's head would have exploded after the loss!!

No regrets, your absolutely correct. That had better be the plan for Dixon, or that was a wasted pick.

Corey Holliday, to run the correct comeback route, instead of a fly pattern on Neil's 2nd pick in Super Bowl XXX.

That one hurt alot, mainly because it was the Cowboys. That game should have ended on a much different note.

Good stuff Blast!! I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.

TackleMeBen
06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
big ben not getting the the cycle crach
ben on a motorcycle yes... ben in a motorcycle crash ....no

Dino 6 Rings
06-20-2008, 09:31 AM

No, I'm aware of that being Neil's excuse for making a 2nd horrible throw and giving the game to the Cowboys.

I'd have preffered it if Yancy would have made the catch on 1st down that hit him in the hands. But I blame Neil. Receivers don't get the ints counted against them, QBs do.

Watch the entire game again. When Neil threw the first INT, Cowher asked him what happend, and said "Did it slip out?" and Neil said "yeah coach, it slipped out"

After the 2nd int, Neil went to one side of the sideline and stayed away from Cowher, Bill looked at him with the most Hate I'd seen a coach look at a player with ever.

KeiselPower99
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
The things we wish for as Steeler fans. Great post and list. Marino following Bradshaw would have been awesome. Bradshaw Marino then Roethlisberger???? Would have been amazing and think about the Championships we could have tallied up.

fansince'76
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Bradshaw Marino then Roethlisberger???? Would have been amazing and think about the Championships we could have tallied up.

We'd be working on Lombardi #8 or 9 by now.

Preacher
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM

And I believe the reason for the mistake...

Is it was a hot route.... And he didn't realize a blitz was coming so he ran his regular route.... twice... and Larry Brown had two INT's.

slashsteel
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM

No reason to regret it as he was great in that role.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the poster that said Dixon better be that for us, think again. Dixon was drafted to eventually be the number 2 QB. Possibly as soon as next year. He might get some looks similar to what they do with Wallace in Seattle. But if you think Dixon was drafted to be a slash you are going to end up highly disappointed..

Dino 6 Rings
06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
And I believe the reason for the mistake...

Is it was a hot route.... And he didn't realize a blitz was coming so he ran his regular route.... twice... and Larry Brown had two INT's.

Not Quite Preacher.

From Jan 29, 1996. NY Times.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06EFDE1039F93AA15752C0A9609582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

in regards to the 1st INT
""The ball just slipped out of my hands," said O'Donnell. "It's something that happens."

the 2nd int:

"It was a bit of miscommunication between the quarterback and wide receiver," said O'Donnell.

"Neil anticipated an out route," explained Erhardt. "Hastings ran a hitch route."

And Hastings himself described the play as a "hot" situation -- "if the guy's pushing me, I'm going out. If the guy's soft, I'm going in. It was a gray area. I did a hook and Neil read an out."

In other words, O'Donnell is supposed to "read" what the defense is doing and expect Hastings to react the same way. One of them didn't.

"I think there was some miscommunication between the receiver and O'Donnell," Brown said. "I was reading the quarterback all the way, and I felt he thought the receiver was going to go out."

Both Neil and Earnhart left the team for the Jets the following Season. Neither wanted to show their faces in the Burgh again.

silver & black
06-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Great post Blast, like Dude said, we could be here all day!!

If only they were, Madden's head would have exploded after the loss!!

No regrets, your absolutely correct. That had better be the plan for Dixon, or that was a wasted pick.

That one hurt alot, mainly because it was the Cowboys. That game should have ended on a much different note.

Good stuff Blast!! I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.

If there was instant replay in '72... the Immaculate Deception would have have been called correctly. :wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
06-20-2008, 04:16 PM
If there was instant replay in '72... the Immaculate Deception would have have been called correctly. :wink02:

Yep, TouchDown! Steelers!!!!

silver & black
06-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Yep, TouchDown! Steelers!!!!

LOL... that was pretty much the response I would expect on here. I'ts all good... I was just havin' a 'lil fun. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Let it go Raiders fans, let it go:wink02:

HometownGal
06-20-2008, 04:57 PM
To have been old enough to remember (and appreciate) John Henry Johnson's career with the Steelers.

silver & black
06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Let it go Raiders fans, let it go:wink02:

Never!...:sofunny:

BlastFurnace
06-20-2008, 05:46 PM
LOL... that was pretty much the response I would expect on here. I'ts all good... I was just havin' a 'lil fun. :thumbsup:

I wish I could know what Frenchy Fuqua knows about that play, since he was the one who the ball allegedly hit before it went back to Franco.

Physics alone tells you it never hit Fuqua though.

silver & black
06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I wish I could know what Frenchy Fuqua knows about that play, since he was the one who the ball allegedly hit before it went back to Franco.

Physics alone tells you it never hit Fuqua though.

Frenchy and the old man are the only two that ever really knew/know. I guess Frenchy is the only one now... the rest of us just have to take it for what it is... a great moment in NFL history that the two most dominant teams of the era were involved in. :thumbsup:

DACEB
06-21-2008, 08:34 AM
As far as the poster that said Dixon better be that for us, think again. Dixon was drafted to eventually be the number 2 QB. Possibly as soon as next year. He might get some looks similar to what they do with Wallace in Seattle. But if you think Dixon was drafted to be a slash you are going to end up highly disappointed..

I agree, he was drafted to be a #2 and not slash. The reason I said that slashsteel, is because Dixon has too many skills to sit as the #2 QB. I believe with his skill set he could be exceptional as a backup, the kid has a cannon and can get it done with his legs if he has to. But, that's a high pick for a career backup, so the team should use him to all his abilities. That's my view, and yes I would be highly disappointed if the team didn't. Years from now that would be on this list, if they didn't.

missedgehead
06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
I would have liked to have seen:

Ben on NO MOTORCYCLE at all.

The Steelers in the 70s in person.

The Immaculate Reception in person.

A healthy Blier and Harris in the 1976 AFC Champ game...we definitely would have won the SB for sure.

Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann and Stall worth play in person.

SB XL in person.

missedgehead
06-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Frenchy and the old man are the only two that ever really knew/know. I guess Frenchy is the only one now... the rest of us just have to take it for what it is... a great moment in NFL history that the two most dominant teams of the era were involved in. :thumbsup:

What I LOVE about the Immaculate Reception, though , is that it drives John Madden BANANAS!!! :) LOL Anything to drive that idiot nuts, I love. :tt03:

silver & black
06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
What I LOVE about the Immaculate Reception, though , is that it drives John Madden BANANAS!!! :) LOL Anything to drive that idiot nuts, I love. :tt03:

Idiot?............... ok, I'll just let that go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I wish I could have seen and listened to Lambert...after practice..on the hill with the kids...and seen the other side of a great football player

silver & black
06-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I wish I could have seen and listened to Lambert...after practice..on the hill with the kids...and seen the other side of a great football player

Yup. The old guys were tough as nails and had hearts of gold when it came to kids.

I wish it were like that, still. That was the greatest era in NFL history. I don't think any of us will ever see the likes of it again.... too bad.

The Duke
06-21-2008, 12:30 PM
John Kuhn on the steelers forever :crying01:

BlastFurnace
06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Yup. The old guys were tough as nails and had hearts of gold when it came to kids.

I wish it were like that, still. That was the greatest era in NFL history. I don't think any of us will ever see the likes of it again.... too bad.

That, I think Steelers, Raiders, or any other fan for that matter can all agree on. 70's football was by far, better than what we have today. All you have to do is pop in a DVD or VHS of a game back then and watch it to realize how much better it was and how, for a much greater degree, the referees stayed out of the game and let the players decide it. A fumble...was a fumble...period. The Tuck Rule....never happens in 1975... like it did in 2001 where you guys got absolutely screwed by the refs.

stlrtruck
06-21-2008, 01:57 PM

John Kuhn....oh never mind.

I agree with the play but would rather have Neil read the defense correctly, throw it over top and watch it go the distance!!!

John Kuhn - yeah never mind!

BlastFurnace
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree with the play but would rather have Neil read the defense correctly, throw it over top and watch it go the distance!!!

John Kuhn - yeah never mind!

LOL...I had to throw the John Kuhn comment in there.

It's just a very unfortunate play in Steelers history. Larry Brown was in no-mans land on that play. Had Corey stopped and come back, it was a completion. If Neil threw it over the top and Corey went deep, it might have been a touchdown. Unfortunately, Neil threw it right to where Brown had his feet planted firmly into the ground and the rest is history.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-21-2008, 03:48 PM

You are correct...:thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
06-22-2008, 05:02 AM
a steelers game in person at three rivers stadium, any game, any year.

stlrtruck
06-22-2008, 07:32 AM

Ahhhh, the memories. Sorry you never got to see one.

I usually caught the winter games and there are two words to describe it:

Deafening (especially against the clowns)
Blistery (with the water coming off the lake - LOL :rofl:)

Preacher
06-22-2008, 10:24 AM
The throw from Maddox to Plaxico... to have been a yard and a half further... Plax catches it, and gets a TD.... and we win against the Falcons in OT in 2002, which, I believe, would have given us a bye week and time for Bell to heal the ankle.

tony hipchest
06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
alfred e newman pupunu trip and fall = steelers/49ers battle it out to become the 1st to 5.

lloyd, green, kirkland, and brown play 5 years together.

BlastFurnace
06-22-2008, 12:17 PM
alfred e newman pupunu trip and fall = steelers/49ers battle it out to become the 1st to 5.

lloyd, green, kirkland, and brown play 5 years together.

Alfred Pupunu will never be forgotten by Steelers fans.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
06-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Neil O'Donnell playing his entire career with the Steelers.
Eric Green not becoming a coke head.
3 More yards in 1994.
Hastings running the right route in XXX.
No Big Ben motorcycle accident.
Not as much controversy in XL. (Although I Don't See It)
No Rivera car crash. (Missing on Marino wouldn't have been as big a deal)
Big Ben throwing a TD in XL.
LC Greenwood and Dwight White in the HOF.

MDSteel15
06-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Louis Lipps...drafted in 1984...have Dan Marino...drafted in 1983...throwing it to him his entire career in a Steelers uniform.Can you imagine! Marino would have been the QB in SB XXX if this happened! I truly beleive we would have won in 85', 89', 95', 96' and possibly 02'!!!

Franco and Rocky healthy for the Championship Game against the Raiders.Would have had 5 long before now!!

The Steel Curtain, with all the benefits of modern supplementation, training, etc...in today's game.Un-freaking stoppable....

Terry Bradshaw...not play that game against the Jets in 1983...come back in 1984 and play a couple of more years.Childhood dream here

Rod Woodson, swallow his pride, and move to Safety for us in 1997.Adult dream

Rod Woodson...healthy in Super Bowl XXX.Again....

Corey Holliday, to run the correct comeback route, instead of a fly pattern on Neil's 2nd pick in Super Bowl XXX. :banging:

Barry Foster...without the injury problems. This means NO BUS! Which I liked Foster more....

3 more yards against San Diego in the Championship Game... :banging: :banging:

MDSteel15
06-22-2008, 10:41 PM

This almost had me in tears..... I never made it either! Been to Heinz 3 times so far though!

missedgehead
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Idiot?............... ok, I'll just let that go.

Yes. I can not STAND John Madden. Here is why:

1. He WHINES about the Immaculate Reception, to this day. He said, "I will never get over the Immaculate reception."

2. He is a Steeler hater. He got on my craplist right there.

3. His "call" if you can call it that, along with his buddy , Al Michaels of SB XL , IMO, led ,in a great part, to the whole controversy over the Steelers' win in that game over the Seachickens. If someone, who had no idea about football was watching that game, (which I think is a huge portion of a SB audience who watches for the commercials) was watching that game, they would have thought listening to Madden, that the Steelers won because of the referees. Why do you think that a huge portion of NFL fans and the public and alot of those mediots on ESPN think the Steelers won SB XL because of the referees? Because of Madden!! The way Madden was saying that the calls against the Seahawks were "ticky tack" and the way he questioned Ben's TD saying it was not a TD and saying the call against Sean Locklear for holding was not a hold by saying , "I didn't see a hold." If someone who does not know anything about the sport was watching that game, they are expecting that John Madden, a former head coach who is SUPPOSED to be an expert, to know what he is talking about when he calls the game, right? They assume he knows his stuff. Well, from the way he called it, they would think the Steelers won because of the refs and not because the Steelers made the plays they needed to make and the Seahawks did not. Were there bad calls? Yeah, but that is not why the Steelers won, and Madden knew it. Madden was injecting his anti-Steeler bias into the game.

4. Madden's constant fawning over the now, supposedly retired Brett Farve. OMGosh, all this windbag did when Farve was playing was having a man crush on Brett Farve, talking about what a great player he was and what a great guy he was, and blah, blah, blah. I have never heard so much fawning over a QB like the way Madden did. I got so sick of hearing Madden fawn over Farve that I wanted to throw up. :banging:

I do not doubt Madden was a good coach. He got his ring. However, I just do not like him at all for the reasons I mentioned. Hope that makes more sense now.

silver & black
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes. I can not STAND John Madden. Here is why:

1. He WHINES about the Immaculate Reception, to this day. He said, "I will never get over the Immaculate reception."

2. He is a Steeler hater. He got on my craplist right there.

3. His "call" if you can call it that, along with his buddy , Al Michaels of SB XL , IMO, led ,in a great part, to the whole controversy over the Steelers' win in that game over the Seachickens. If someone, who had no idea about football was watching that game, (which I think is a huge portion of a SB audience who watches for the commercials) was watching that game, they would have thought listening to Madden, that the Steelers won because of the referees. Why do you think that a huge portion of NFL fans and the public and alot of those mediots on ESPN think the Steelers won SB XL because of the referees? Because of Madden!! The way Madden was saying that the calls against the Seahawks were "ticky tack" and the way he questioned Ben's TD saying it was not a TD and saying the call against Sean Locklear for holding was not a hold by saying , "I didn't see a hold." If someone who does not know anything about the sport was watching that game, they are expecting that John Madden, a former head coach who is SUPPOSED to be an expert, to know what he is talking about when he calls the game, right? They assume he knows his stuff. Well, from the way he called it, they would think the Steelers won because of the refs and not because the Steelers made the plays they needed to make and the Seahawks did not. Were there bad calls? Yeah, but that is not why the Steelers won, and Madden knew it. Madden was injecting his anti-Steeler bias into the game.

4. Madden's constant fawning over the now, supposedly retired Brett Farve. OMGosh, all this windbag did when Farve was playing was having a man crush on Brett Farve, talking about what a great player he was and what a great guy he was, and blah, blah, blah. I have never heard so much fawning over a QB like the way Madden did. I got so sick of hearing Madden fawn over Farve that I wanted to throw up. :banging:

I do not doubt Madden was a good coach. He got his ring. However, I just do not like him at all for the reasons I mentioned. Hope that makes more sense now.

No problem here. You can dislike anyone you wish. Just because you personally don't like Madden, doesn't make him an idiot.

I personally thought Noll's whining about Atkinson and his wanting to sue the Raiders over a cheap shot was kind of pathetic too... but I sure don't consider Noll an idiot.

Elvis
06-25-2008, 03:51 AM
No problem here. You can dislike anyone you wish. Just because you personally don't like Madden, doesn't make him an idiot.

I personally thought Noll's whining about Atkinson and his wanting to sue the Raiders over a cheap shot was kind of pathetic too... but I sure don't consider Noll an idiot.
Hello S&B.. good to see ya around. I for one love John Madden and his knowledge for the game. The guy has Best Winning Pct of any coach in NFL history, how can you doubt that for coaching and knowledge of the game?
I love Madden, but I know everyone has their likes and dislikes and opinions and that is fine, but I agree with S@B about not being an idiot because of it.
:coffee:

Aussie_steeler
06-25-2008, 06:24 AM
This almost had me in tears..... I never made it either! Been to Heinz 3 times so far though!

One of the things that I want to cross off my bucket list is......

"to see a steelers home game live"

You have gotta dream big

Lord Stiller
06-25-2008, 07:18 AM

That's too bad. Seeing games at 3 Rivers Stadium was infinitely better than Heinz field