PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Hines Ward

Prosdo
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Congrats to Hines Ward on passing John Stallworth on the all-time team receptions list. If anyone deserves it, it is Hines. Glad to have him in the black and gold and here's to many more years of it!

Record Breaking Catch
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Prosdo/20051114mf_fbn_ward_grinPJ_450.jpg

clevestinks
11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow, Prosdo. I can`t believe we all forgot about that? I`m ashamed! LOL

Without a doubt! Props to you Hines! You are one of a kind!

Steel - X
11-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I agree Congrats Hines. More to come thats for sure. That freakin guy is always smilin! Not to many guys in the NFL with a personality like Hines.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Hell yeah Hines!

I think he seriously has a shot at 1,000 catches in his career.

pitt
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Congratulations Hines!!!

BB2W
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Hines Ward:

Q: When you were a rookie returning kicks, did you ever imagine setting the all time Steelers? reception record?

A: Never. Orpheus Roye, who played here before and was a year ahead of me ? when I broke the record, he was the first one who came up to me and said, ?Whoever would?ve thought, the guy who played special teams ? a flyer, a gunner ? would become the all-time reception leader.?

It meant so much for me personally, because considering everything that I?ve been through, like being a third-round pick, overcoming two first-rounders drafted in front of me, playing on a predominantly run-oriented team, having all the nay-sayers doubt me ? saying I?m not this tall, or I?m not this fast?I kept working my tail off to put myself in this position. But I never would?ve thought of me breaking the record, especially in only my eighth year. In front of my family, my fans, on national tv, against the Cleveland Browns ? it?s always good when you can beat Cleveland. The whole city seems to run well on Monday. This was the way I wanted it ? win, get the record ? it was a perfect night.

Q: Of all of (John) Stallworth?s records, which one means the most to you?

A: They all mean a great deal to me, but just having my name mentioned with (Lynn) Swann and Stallworth ? these guys are Hall of Famers that I respected. There?s always going to be comparisons between me and Swann and Stallworth, but for me, I don?t really care for comparison. I just want to be in the same class. And when you mention those guys, you think of true class off the field, so just having my name mentioned with those guys is a big honor. So when you think Pittsburgh receivers, you think Swann and Stallworth and now you add Hines to that list ? so it?s a great night.

Q: Did you have a (reception) counter in your head as the game went on?

A: No question. The touchdown, I couldn?t really see the replay. McCutcheon made a great play, the ball was kind of underthrown, so I tried to tip it back to myself. I don?t know if I got in our out ? I really wanted that one, because that would?ve tied the record. This week, I knew we were going to get some opportunities the way their defense plays they?d try to stop the run. As wide receivers, we got frustrated a little in Green Bay because we didn?t get opportunities. This week, all the wideouts came up big and made plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I was there last nite.. let me tell you to see Hines make that history making catch was just unreal, the fans and the entire stadium went absolutely crazy!!! But Hines, being the team player he is and being everything TO is not..just tossed the ball to the sidelines and they went back and ran the next play.

Hines is the ultimate player, ultimate team mate, and the best damn all around WR in the game PERIOD. !!!!

Congrats to you Hines, it is so well deserved!

BB2W
11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Even after Hines Ward's rookie season in 1998, the Pittsburgh Steelers felt their need for a star receiver was so great they drafted Troy Edwards and Plaxico Burress on the first round each of the next two years.

Not certain if Ward could be a starter after playing part of his college career at Georgia as a quarterback, the Steelers used Ward in a variety of roles. He was a wingman on special teams, racing downfield to be the first in line to make a tackle or throw a block. On offense, he was used mostly as a blocker in the running game, and he caught only 16 passes as a rookie.

But as they spent more time with Ward, coach Bill Cowher and his staff couldn't help but notice the extra time he spent taking passes from any quarterback who would throw to him, the passion and effort he brought while undertaking some of the most thankless jobs on a football field.

They also saw something else: Ward played without ego or concern that his throw-his-body-around approach might lead to an injury that would end his career before he proved he could catch passes in the NFL. They also saw him repeatedly anger defensive backs unaccustomed to having a receiver block them with the ferocity of a tight end or fullback.

Now, long after Ward became not only a starter but also one of the NFL's most reliable receivers, any list of the best pass catchers in Steelers history must contain at least three names: John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and, yes, Hines Ward.

Cowher remembers telling Ward how he would be needed to play special teams as a rookie, when veteran receivers Courtney Hawkins, Charles Johnson and Will Blackwell were ahead of him.

"He's caught a lot of passes and I've been here for every one," Cowher said. "No one appreciates it more than myself - not just his catching but what he brings to the game and the way he approaches the game and what he stands for. He's the complete football player."

link........ http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/local/13165370.htm

SteelCityMan786
11-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Congrats Hines. All records in receving are made for Hines to break

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 11:22 PM
"He's caught a lot of passes and I've been here for every one," Cowher said. "No one appreciates it more than myself - not just his catching but what he brings to the game and the way he approaches the game and what he stands for. He's the complete football player.

Most of us have been around to see his catches too..from when he was first drafted and played on ST..till he broke into the starting lineup. What a treat its been to see him develop.

Prosdo
11-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Most of us have been around to see his catches too..from when he was first drafted and played on ST..till he broke into the starting lineup. What a treat its been to see him develop.

So true. The guy is something special. Glad I have gotten to see how he has progressed.

Koopa
11-15-2005, 02:41 AM
well i already said congrats to hines in the gameday thread but i guess it won't hurt to say it again.......congrats hines you deserve it and here's to 546 more catches :cheers:

SteelerFanInATL
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
He has always been worthy but now its a done deal. Have to get a #86 Steeler Jersey so
I can let the ATL know who the man is. Just like someone's signature says, Atlanta resident, native Pittsburgher (East Liberty).

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 03:41 PM
A fine landmark for Hines - when you factor in all the blocking he done down the years you appreciate how valuable he is to this team.

If the Steelers could develop a bona fide No.1 receiver then Pittsburgh would be a genuine double threat on offense - ground and air - Hines would be the best No.2 receiver in the league.

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
11-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I still think we need a big time N01 deep threat. Then Ben would be able to complete his game

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
If the Steelers could develop a bona fide No.1 receiver then Pittsburgh would be a genuine double threat on offense - ground and air - Hines would be the best No.2 receiver in the league.

Cheers

NM

was that supposed to be as insulting as it sounds? theres maybe 10 teams hines wouldnt be the #1 receiver. probably only marvin harrison is more durable. jerry rice proved you didnt need blazing speed to get open downfield. pigeon holing hines as a possession or #2 receiver is a bit unfair. anyways who was #1 and #2 in the 70's? stallworth or swann? it doesnt matter.

maybe if the steelers develop a bonafide #2 receiver, hines will be the undisputed best
# 1 receiver in the nfl.

anyways he deserves every penny hes making as a #1 receiver and all preseason grumblings and media comparisons to jason kendall (singles hitter, cant hit the home run) are totally bogus.

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 05:02 PM
was that supposed to be as insulting as it sounds? theres maybe 10 teams hines wouldnt be the #1 receiver. probably only marvin harrison is more durable. jerry rice proved you didnt need blazing speed to get open downfield. pigeon holing hines as a possession or #2 receiver is a bit unfair. anyways who was #1 and #2 in the 70's? stallworth or swann? it doesnt matter.

maybe if the steelers develop a bonafide #2 receiver, hines will be the undisputed best
# 1 receiver in the nfl.

anyways he deserves every penny hes making as a #1 receiver and all preseason grumblings and media comparisons to jason kendall (singles hitter, cant hit the home run) are totally bogus.

There was certainly no insult intended - in my opinion Hines Ward does not have the attributes of an elite No.1 receiver - and saying that there is only 10 teams that wouldnt have him as a No.1 receiver doesnt seem that impressive when there is only 32 teams.

There is certainly no factual basis behind your assertion that Hines Ward will be the 'undisputed No.1 receiver in the NFL' should they pick up another talented WR - that is wild guesswork at best.

Hines is currently rated at number 23 on the yards gained list - I am aware that the Steelers do not pass much, but by the same token he has faced only 4 defenses of any note this season - New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Jacksonville.

Hines is an excellent WR and always puts his body on the line - but I dont think you are doing him any favors by putting him in the same paragraph as Jerry Rice.

NM

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
there is no factual basis of your assertion that he would be the best #2 wr in the league either. sure its wild guesswork, hence the word maybe.

with only 9 games being played this year what team or wr has faced the top 9 defenses? what you have said about the defense he has played against is the same for all receivers.

comparing hines and jerrys naysayer's tales of lack of deep threat speed is very pertinent to the point i have made.

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 06:02 PM
there is no factual basis of your assertion that he would be the best #2 wr in the league either. sure its wild guesswork, hence the word maybe.

with only 9 games being played this year what team or wr has faced the top 9 defenses? what you have said about the defense he has played against is the same for all receivers.

comparing hines and jerrys naysayer's tales of lack of deep threat speed is very pertinent to the point i have made.

Come on Tony lets try and stay with football reality here - first you tell me that Hines is the 11th best No.1 receiver in the game - then you question my opinion that he would be the best No.2...?

Logic backs my assertion, as does your initial opinion.

If you are saying that Hines is not a flatout speed merchant and neither is Jerry Rice then that is fine...I thought maybe you were trying to compare their talent levels - my bad.

I dont see why you cant pigeon hole Hines Ward as a possession 2nd receiver - thats exactly what he is.

NM

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
actually hines it easilly a top 5
6 receiver. he doesnt drop the ball. still theres probably 10 teams who would (mistakingly) stick with what they got. i couldnt see detroit giving up on r. williams, gb with walker, texans with johnson etc. you dont think hines couldnt go to seattle and put up steve smith type numbers in that offense? what good is l. coles or s. moss type speed if you habitually drop balls? for A SLow possession wr, he sure is wide open quite a bit. and its not cause teams are double covering plexico this season. im trying to think what wr has had 100 rec. in a season, had double digit td's before, and 4 time pro bowler?

put him on any team today as the #2 rec and wait how long it takes him to supplant the #1 guy. like t. holt supplanting i bruce. then theres the rare case of the cardinals where boldin and fitzgerald dont need a #1 or #2 tag. this is how it should be with hines.

i guess i take it like saying deion branch doesnt have what it takes to be a #1 wr in the nfl or be a superbowl mvp. and hes too frail to be a #2 possession wr. but he would be the best #3 wr in the league. this is a pretty bogus statement cause you never know until put in the position to do so.

" I am aware that the Steelers do not pass much, but by the same token he has faced only 4 defenses of any note this season - New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Jacksonville."

if you count cincinatti (they were or are leading the league in turnovers/interceptions) that is 5 of 8 notable defenses. (of course theyre not ranked 1-5, that would be a record...or something) s. smith has faced miami, patrits, and tampa bay. no team has really faced more than 5 defenses of any note this season.

i see youre logic but the same logic could say ward sucks because green bay (not a defense of note) held hines to 1 catch for 13 yds.

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 07:12 PM
If you are saying that Hines is not a flatout speed merchant and neither is Jerry Rice then that is fine...I thought maybe you were trying to compare their talent levels - my bad.

NM

thats not EXACTLY what i said but if i didnt state it clearly enough the 1st time:

" jerry rice proved you didnt need blazing speed to get open downfield."

lol. you sure read alot into that simple little comment!

you can pigeon hole him all you want but if ward went to the patriots and many other teams(about 20-22) it would take about 2 weeks to supplant their #1.

that is football reality

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
actually hines it easilly a top 5
6 receiver. he doesnt drop the ball. still theres probably 10 teams who would (mistakingly) stick with what they got. i couldnt see detroit giving up on r. williams, gb with walker, texans with johnson etc. you dont think hines couldnt go to seattle and put up steve smith type numbers in that offense? what good is l. coles or s. moss type speed if you habitually drop balls? for A SLow possession wr, he sure is wide open quite a bit. and its not cause teams are double covering plexico this season. im trying to think what wr has had 100 rec. in a season, had double digit td's before, and 4 time pro bowler?

put him on any team today as the #2 rec and wait how long it takes him to supplant the #1 guy. like t. holt supplanting i bruce. then theres the rare case of the cardinals where boldin and fitzgerald dont need a #1 or #2 tag. this is how it should be with hines.

i guess i take it like saying deion branch doesnt have what it takes to be a #1 wr in the nfl or be a superbowl mvp. and hes too frail to be a #2 possession wr. but he would be the best #3 wr in the league. this is a pretty bogus statement cause you never know until put in the position to do so.

" I am aware that the Steelers do not pass much, but by the same token he has faced only 4 defenses of any note this season - New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Jacksonville."

if you count cincinatti (they were or are leading the league in turnovers/interceptions) that is 5 of 8 notable defenses. (of course theyre not ranked 1-5, that would be a record...or something) s. smith has faced miami, patrits, and tampa bay. no team has really faced more than 5 defenses of any note this season.

i see youre logic but the same logic could say ward sucks because green bay (not a defense of note) held hines to 1 catch for 13 yds.

Its an interesting to imagine how Hines might fit into other teams schemes seeing as he fits the Pittsburgh game plan so perfectly.

I think he could make it work just about anywhere - I think he could put up some nice numbers in a more pass oriented offense.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that you need elite speed to be a No.1 receiver but it certainly helps - possession receivers by their very nature are not exceptionally quick and tend not to drop the ball - two facets of Hines game we can agree on.

Hines Ward is undisputed No.1 receiver on the Pittsburgh team because of two things - he is talented and the fact there is also has been very little competition for him in recent history.

I am a little confused by the Deion Branch comment - pretty much all we have said so far has been hypothetical - whereas Branch has quite literally been SB MVP.

Regardless, I should clarify my original point a little better given your well made points.

Pittsburgh need to draft a big play, deep threat receiver who is made in the mould of the proto-type No.1 receiver - I believe this ying to Hines's yang would amount to a potent receiving team regardless of how people chose to perceive their status.

NM

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 07:53 PM
I am a little confused by the Deion Branch comment - pretty much all we have said so far has been hypothetical - whereas Branch has quite literally been SB MVP.

Pittsburgh need to draft a big play, deep threat receiver who is made in the mould of the proto-type No.1 receiver - I believe this ying to Hines's yang would amount to a potent receiving team regardless of how people chose to perceive their status.

NM
you mean plaxico burress?:grin: im sure the coaching staff is ontop of that. unless t.o. says cut c. wilson and i'll be a steeler for 2mil / yr. but the patriots have proven you dont need that proto-type guy, 3 of the past 4 years.

which brings me to branch. noone ever wouldve said he would be the mvp for the superbowl....until he was put in the position to do so.

heres a hypothetical about ward. what if he goes to the superbowl and catches a 50yd reverse td from randel el and an 85 yrd td from ben (like against the browns and patriots) and is awarded mvp, plus 4 other catches for 1st downs and 40 more yards, is he still just "the best 2nd receiver in the nfl"? (loosely quoted) he and the steelers with roethlisberger have the potential to do just that.

bengalsfan21
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
heres to Hines :cheers:

geran42o
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Can't we all just get along...:rolleyes:. Seriously Congrats to Hines.. it's well deserved

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 09:15 PM
you mean plaxico burress?:grin: im sure the coaching staff is ontop of that. unless t.o. says cut c. wilson and i'll be a steeler for 2mil / yr. but the patriots have proven you dont need that proto-type guy, 3 of the past 4 years.

which brings me to branch. noone ever wouldve said he would be the mvp for the superbowl....until he was put in the position to do so.

heres a hypothetical about ward. what if he goes to the superbowl and catches a 50yd reverse td from randel el and an 85 yrd td from ben (like against the browns and patriots) and is awarded mvp, plus 4 other catches for 1st downs and 40 more yards, is he still just "the best 2nd receiver in the nfl"? (loosely quoted) he and the steelers with roethlisberger have the potential to do just that.

I agree that the Patriots have shown you dont need the proto-typical No.1 receiver to achieve their success and I wasnt trying to say that the Steelers need one desperately - what I was trying to get across is that if they could pick one up in the draft they would be a much improved unit offensively.

Of course, the Steelers are not traditionally a team where receivers are likely to prosper as regards big numbers so maybe its a moot point anyway.

And as far as your hypothetical SB performance goes - i'd be quite happy to re-evaluate my position on Hines if he were to pull that sort of performance out of the bag!

I've enjoyed the debate as always - we have differing opinions on how highly we rate Hines and what label we would give him - but maybe we both agree that the Steelers should be looking for a genuine deep threat (preferably one with good size) in the upcoming draft?

Cheers

NM

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 09:24 PM
steelers didnt let plex go for lack of talent. and his numbers this season speak for themselves. it was a money issue and every team out there would like a t.o. or moss on their roster (without the distractions of course) being perfect at every position doesnt come at a cheap price and is pretty impossible in todays nfl. (im sure the patriots would like 4 starting calibur db's as back ups right now. a rookie wr is aways off from making an impact in the steelers offense immideately and im pretty happy with heath. if its between a c. johnson type of receiver opposite hines or ben or troy, i will take ben or troy anyday. our offensive line and rb's arent cheap either.

BB2W
11-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Wide receiver Hines Ward was named the AFC`s Offensive Player of the Week on Wednesday.

The eight-year veteran out of Georgia caught eight passes for 124 yards Sunday night against Cleveland. He also caught a touchdown pass and became Pittsburgh`s all-time receptions leader with 543 catches, surpassing Hall of Fame receiver John Stallworth.

link......... http://media3.steelers.com/article/59342/

steelersgirl86
11-16-2005, 07:51 PM
:dancing: Congratulations Hines...great job!!!

clevestinks
11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Past, and Tony

There are so many points here to debate! And you both have describe Hines Ward to a T.
Yet you really can`t agree on anything, yet your saying the same thing????

Hines is great!
Hines has some great hands, he hangs on to EVERYTHING!
Hines has average or better speed!
Hines gets open, not always a deigned route, but he gets open!
Hines is the toughest wr in the league. No argueing here?? he gets up every time!
Hines is the best blocking wr, maybe ever?
Hines is a topnotch irreplaceable team player!
Hines is a great No.1 wr, but maybe not the best. Tony
Hines could be the best no.2 wr ever. Past

Its kind of a toss up! I think Hines would be even better if we had a bonafide No.1. Hey Scottie Pippen was always a No.2 and he will be in the HOF wearing six rings!

Hines you are No.1 to all of us , congrats.

tony hipchest
11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
yeah, i found hines being the best #2 receiver in the league to be an understatement of the year. thats why i used the analogy of d. branch being the best #3 receiver in the league (i know hes much better than that) and its always fun to have a discussion with livinginthe past

but youre comments got me thinking.....
who is the best #2 wr of all time?

duper or clayton
lofton, reed
john taylor?
stallworth or swann?

im sure i forgot some others but the common thread among the aforementionned:

d. marino (hof- holds all the bigtime records)
j. kelly (hof- 4 straight sb appearances)
j. montanna (hof- 4 sb wins)
t. bradshaw (hof- 4 sb wins)

im almost convincing myself hines will play himself into the hall of fame as the greatest #2 wr of aLL time (especially since he doesnt have a #1 wr on his roster)

i say the best #2 wr of all time is a toss up between the 3 steeler players.

clevestinks
11-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Tony you really deserve some rep points! Great work!