5 James Harrison
6 Casey Hampton
7 Hines
8 Rashard Mendenhall
9 Timmons
10 Troy

msafford
06-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Substitute Aaron Smith for Limas Sweed and there's my list.

HometownGal
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
1. Ben
2. Special Teams play
3. FWP/Mendenhall
4. The entire OL having success
5. Heath Miller
6. Troy
7. Santo
8. Ike Taylor
9. Farrior getting back to his game.
10. Reed/Sepulveda (kicking game is more important than a lot of people realize)

slashsteel
06-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I'll do ten things that need to happen:

1. O-line continuity
2. Team stays healthy
3. Young draft picks step up
4. Aging players steady without decline
5. No QB rushing on 3rd and long, hell no rushing period (on 3rd and long)
6. Refs being able to identify a hold -see Jag game
7. canning Steel McBeam - call it my make a wish campaign
8. avoid late season burnout
9. Fix not so-special teams coverage units
10. Extend contracts of Starks & Farrior

TackleMeBen
06-21-2008, 08:03 PM
1. Ben
2. Special Teams play
3. FWP/Mendenhall
5. Heath Miller
6. Troy
7. Santo
8. Ike Taylor
10. Reed/Sepulveda (kicking game is more important than a lot of people realize)
i have to agree with HTG on this.. :thumbsup:

FourThreeMafia
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
1. Ben Roethlisberger: No contest.

2. Chris Kemoeatu: Our season rests on this guys shoulders IMO. Ben is the most important player on the team, but how well Kemo replaces Alan will be the difference between a good season and a bad one.

3a. Casey Hampton: He has to be dominant on the interior. He is the most important player on the defense...

3b. Aaron Smith: And he is a close second. A key cog on the line. Everyone seen how bad we are without him.

5. Justin Hartwig Can he replace Mahan and play at a MUCH higher level? With Faneca gone and having to play with a first year starter and 'Cement Mixer' Simmons, he will have his hands full.

6. Special teams The entire unit is under microscope. With our schedule, we cant afford another debacle like last year.

7. Troy Polamalu: With a harder schedule this year, we need the 2004/2005 version of Troy back. They guy that disrupted plays and took over games. Not the 2006/2007 version that couldnt stay healthy, overran plays and missed open field tackles.

8. LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison: Straight up, the pass rush has GOT to improve. Our secondary is good, but not amazing, and with QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer on our schedule, a consistent pass rush is our only hope of slowing them down.

9. Offensive Tackles: This should probably be higher, but the fact of the matter is I dont have much faith in this area. If Marvel Smith comes back 100%, I trust for him to be solid, and he will have to be. On the other side, we need better play out of our RT, be it Starks or Colon.

I am torn here, though.

On one hand, I think Starks should start. He is getting a huge contract and he should have to earn it. Plus, he is more suited to play RT than Colon. Not a better player, just more suited to play there.

On the other hand, I dont particularly care for Starks, and unless they are sure he will be back next year, I dont know if they should start him and jack up what little continuity we will have on the line. I dont want to go from Colon, to Starks and then back to Colon next year.

10. Ryan Clark/Anthony Smith: We need better play out of our Free Safeties. Its as simple as that.

Willie is very important as well, but I believe he will ride or die with the OLine. If they suck, so will he.

MasterOfPuppets
06-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Top Ten Key Players Who Our Season Depends On .....:huh:...so are ya lookin for 10 "players"........ or .......:hunch:

millwalldavey
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
The entire O Line and D line... thats more than 10 right there. Without them... the machine grinds to a halt.

FourThreeMafia
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
.....:huh:...so are ya lookin for 10 "players"........ or .......:hunch:

Well, you cant really just name one person on special teams thats going to make a difference, but they have to play better for us to win.

This thread probably shouldve just been named "10 KEYS to success in 2008"

FourThreeMafia
06-21-2008, 09:35 PM
The entire O Line and D line... thats more than 10 right there. Without them... the machine grinds to a halt.

Actually, thats only 8. 5 OL + 3 DL.

And while you are right in context, you have to look at other areas as well. Ben is easily number 1 on this team.

Hapa
06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Some of you saying that the O-Line is more important than Ben's play surprises me. Even if you have an amazing O-Line, and your QB can't throw, you have no chance. I know it goes both ways, but a good QB can still be pretty good with a crap O-Line. (Ben had a very nice season)

MDSteel15
06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
8. LaMarr Woodley/James Harrison: Straight up, the pass rush has GOT to improve. Our secondary is good, but not amazing, and with QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer on our schedule, a consistent pass rush is our only hope of slowing them down.

For this to happen Pork Chop and the rest of the D-line need to push the line and the DBs have to finally cover someone! :popcorn:

FourThreeMafia
06-21-2008, 10:33 PM
For this to happen Pork Chop and the rest of the D-line need to push the line and the DBs have to finally cover someone! :popcorn:

A good pass rush makes the secondary better, because the QB doesnt have all day to sit back and go through his progressions.

What the Steelers are missing is a good interior pass rush, which is why I was hoping to draft an athletic 3-4 DE like Jason Jones or Kendall Langford this past draft.

Still, Woodley replace Haggans should help. Haggans pass rush ability has always been average at best. Woodley knows how to get to the QB.

lilyoder6
06-21-2008, 10:48 PM
well the o-line needs to be there so our running game can be effective which then makes our passing game more deadly w/ the addition of rashard/moore and limas... i would like to see more production from our young players.. esp to see gay play very good this yr

Steeldude
06-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Mine

1 Our whole OL
2 Ben
3 Willie
4 Limas
5 James Harrison
6 Casey Hampton
7 Hines
8 Rashard Mendenhall
9 Timmons
10 Troy

that would be 14.

i don't see how sweed is a key player that the entire season depends on.

Steelman16
06-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Well, there are 11 players on the field at any given time. (except... oh nvm. :doh: ) All of those players need to play solid and consistent. They don't all have to be stars, just consistent.

But, since we're talking about the stars and key players, I'll make my list:

1. Big Ben - There's a reason he plays quarterback. And with him calling his own protections and stuff now, he has to always be on the top of his game. We already know what he can do. Even when he has a bad game, he has the ability to put it all back together late and make a contest out of it. It all starts and ends at the Q position.

2. Casey Hampton - I agree with ThreeFourMafia. Just like Ben being the keystone of our offense, Hampton is the same for our defense. He's big, he's strong, and he anchors half the line at times. He's a nightmare for opposing centers and blockers. In order for our line to make a difference, he'll have to continue to be what he's known for..."The Big Snack".

3. Troy Polamalu - I debated putting the Special Teams here, but Troy's play of recent seasons lands him number three. He has to step it up for our defense and especially our secondary to be top-notch. He was constantly out of position, missed numerous tackles, and played very sub-par overall. I don't care about the flashy INT's for TD, bowling over Cartoon Palmer in the process. Not that those aren't awesome, but consistency is the key. Slumps are for baseball, not football.

4. The Offensive Line - Specifically, the center position and Justin Hartwig. Again, consistency is the watchword here. I believe sacks are inevitable, especially this year against the teams we have to play, but allowing 4-5 sacks a game is atrocious. The loss of Alan Faneca (regardless of his decline in play) creates a large void that must be filled. If Chris Kemoeato is that guy, then he has to realize what's he got in store for himself and play to that level. If Sean Mahan is that guy, then God forbid! (no, just kidding :chuckle: ) The center position does not need to be hashed out. At left tackle, hopefully Smith is recovered enough for a good year. At right tackle, Starks got himself the money. Now he needs to earn it.

5. Special Teams - Not even the O-line has been as bad as the play of our special teams. The only consistent aspect of this unit was consistently giving the opposing offense a short field to work with, or giving up a score altogether.

6. Aaron Smith - The before and after was shocking when he was injured last year. With not a lot of depth at this position, his key will be to stay healthy the entire season. He is good in the pass rush, and he'll need to put on a lot of pressure in the big games.

7. Heath Miller - I believe he's a top-5 tight end in the NFL. He's a pretty good blocker, but he's a great recieving target. He is one of the biggest cogs in our offensive wheel.

8. Lamarr Woodley - As a 2nd year linebacker taking over a starting spot, he'll have to prove he can do what he did in 80 snaps last year, all season long this year. His pass rushing savvy make him extra valuable for this defense. He'll need to make his presence known when we play quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Tony Romo and others.

9. Santonio Holmes - He's a bring-it-to-the-house type player, which we'll be needing a lot of this season. He transitioned well as a rookie, and played even better as a sophomore. If he keeps up this trend he will emerge as a top wideout. He's "sneaky good" and is able to beat the coverage deep. With Ward getting on in years, Ben will be seeing Santo as a deep threat more often.

10. Willie Parker & Rashard Mendenhall - I mentioned this pair last for two reasons. 1, we all saw what Willie did and has done with a very sup-par O-line. 2, Willie plays with a chip on his shoulder, which I think has only been enlarged since his broken fibula and narrowly missed rushing title. With the addition of Mendenhall, I believe we have a powerful two-prong force at running back. Willie can concentrate on slashing and the long runs, Rashard on the small yardage.

Other mentionables would be Hines Ward, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark & Anthony Smith, and Ike Taylor.

RJC
06-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Mine

1 Our whole OL
2 Ben
3 Willie
4 Limas
5 James Harrison
6 Casey Hampton
7 Hines
8 Rashard Mendenhall
9 Timmons
10 Troy

You do know that including the O-Line is 5 players, totaling 14 players, or over half the starters on the team. You might as well have included the other 7 guys, and titled this thread "Our Season Depends On Our Entire Team".....

+NuBbS+
06-22-2008, 11:52 AM
O Line
D Line
Defensive Backs
Willie
Ben
Lawrence Timmons( will he live up to his pick?)
Lamaar Woodley
Nate Washington ( stop dropping sure catches)
Hines (aging but yet still probaly in the top 5 recievers in the league)
Troy (is his knee good?)

KeiselPower99
06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
I only have 1 that our season depends on...Chris Kemoeatu.

19ward86
06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
1-10. God...

The Duke
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
O Line
D Line
Defensive Backs
Willie
Ben
Lawrence Timmons( will he live up to his pick?)
Lamaar Woodley
Nate Washington ( stop dropping sure catches)
Hines (aging but yet still probaly in the top 5 recievers in the league)
Troy (is his knee good?)

I like nate, but why is he more important than hines or santo?

I only have 1 that our season depends on...Chris Kemoeatu.

yep, him and marvel will depend the most how our o line plays

what about tomlin? he's not a player, but the coach is very important in a teams success :tt02:

warddj86
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I like nate, but why is he more important than hines or santo?

I see a significant drop in Nate's playing time with Limas and Rucker/Baker available now

TasmanianTroy271
06-22-2008, 04:49 PM
1.) Big Ben - Obviously, without him we're screwed. I love Chaz Batch but Ben is leaps and bounds ahead of him

2.) Marvel Smith - If he can stay healthy, and can return to his previous form, then he'll at least make our line average, even if it's the same line as last year

3.) Ryan Clark - When you look at who we play this year, we have alot of High-Powered offenses going up against us, and we all saw what Randy Moss did to Anthony Smith. I don't doubt Smith will be better next year, but I'd feel safer with Clark, as long as he's recovered fully

4.) Aaron Smith - We all saw what happened without him last year. He's the keystone of our defense

5.) Ike Taylor - He has to cover Andre Johnson, Braylon twice, CJ twice, Plax, Reggie Wayne, Moss, and T.O. this year. If he can't do it, we will get destroyed through the air

6.) LaMarr Woodley - We need a pass rush, and James Harrison can't do it alone, and he's still 30.

7.) Chris Kemoeatu - He's 340 pounds, so if he can figure out how to use his weight, he can be dominant in run blocking. He blocked for Alex Smith in college, so we all know he must've been good to give Smith the image of a franchise QB

8, 9, and 10.) Bruce Davis, Mike Humpal, and Ryan Mundy - I'm hoping what I'm looking at when I see these 3 players is the second coming of James Harrison, Clint Kriewaldt, and Mike Logan; Back ups who can come in and start if needed, and guys who'll booster the special teams, plus you never know when one might end up starting due to injuries and become a Pro Bowler . However, they could end up like Zo Jackson, Rian Wallace, and Ricardo Colclough.

The Duke
06-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I see a significant drop in Nate's playing time with Limas and Rucker/Baker available now

after his late season play last year I doubt it. and of those 4 players he's the only one that has proven he can play.

don't get me wrong, I'd love it if limas passes him on the depth chart, but I really doubt it happens early in the season. as for those other two, I'm not holding my breath

Black@Gold Forever32
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Substitute Aaron Smith for Limas Sweed and there's my list.

No doubt......It was clear last year after Smith went down how important he is to the defense....Which most of us already knew that.....But the run defense suffered terrible without Smith......

I would have Ben number 1......This team wouldn't even have sniffed the play-offs without Ben last year and I think it will be the same this year....Even without protection Ben is still good enough to lead this team to the play-offs....

SteelersMongol
06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
1. Ben
2. Hines
3. Casey
4. Farrior
5. Miller
6. Polamalu
7. Harrison
8. Santonio
9. Nate
10. Anthony Smith before the last NE game, anyone?

CantStop85
06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
that would be 14.

i don't see how sweed is a key player that the entire season depends on.

If you name 14 players, especially when you name half of your starters, odds are your season is going to depend on them pretty heavily. lol

Why don't we just go ahead and name 22 plus a few special teamers and reserves? :flap:

Tankus_Maximus
06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
If you name 14 players, especially when you name half of your starters, odds are your season is going to depend on them pretty heavily. lol

Why don't we just go ahead and name 22 plus a few special teamers and reserves? :flap:

Barney hit the nail on the head...."you're a douche"

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
well im just going to go with the top 3 players. (since we are not really sticking with "players")

1. Defense
2. Offense
3. Special Teams

Lord Stiller
06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Mahan being on the bench should be #1

Dino 6 Rings
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
To win it all, it will require the entire 53 man Roster. Bottom line.

lilyoder6
06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
the return game will be a factor this yr as to we need to get better field pos so our off has some breathing room as to last yr we had no return game it looked liked

RoethlisBURGHer
06-23-2008, 03:20 PM
1. Ben Roethlisberger- If he gets hurt because of our offensive line, I think we will tank it and end up with a top-11 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Batch can come in for a few games and keep the ship from sinking, but I don't beleive he could go most of a season.

2. The Center Position- It's between Mahan and Hartwig (Lord please let Hartwig win!). Whichever one wins the battle needs to play at least AVERAGE otherwise Ben Roethlisberger will be running for his life.

3. Chris Kemoeatu- Word is that Kemo is the guy who will be replacing Big Red at LG. Those are some biiiiiig shoes to be filling in the Burgh, and he'll need to play well or be ran out of town.

4. Aaron Smith- The defensive line and pass rush played well until Smith went down with an injury last season. After that, we saw how little depth we had and the line and pass rush both suffered. Aaron Smith needs to come back and stay healthy all year for this defense to play well.

5. Casey Hampton- If Casey Hampton can get back to being totally dominating, then our defense will be fine because he'll be causing the pocket to colapse every play.

6. Willie Parker- Willie needs to come back from his injury unafraid to do anything he'd normally do on the field of play. As mentioned earlier, he always plays witha chip on his shoulder, and now is should be even bigger than before.

7. Heath Miller- He needs to be used more in the passing game. He can easily put up Antonio Gates numbers, but that'll be easier achieved if the offensive line can block so Miller isn't needed to block. He caught 7 TD's last year, this year his goal should be 10.

8. Troy Polamalu- No more missing open tackles, no more over-running plays. He needs to play like the 04/05 Troy that was a distruptive force that had to be game planned for.

9. Free Saftey- Ryan Clark or Anthony Smith, whoever ends up Free Satey, needs to play within their role. Neither is the rover guy, that's Troy. Just play within the scheme...and if it's Smith, keep your trap shut!

10. Lamar Woodley- Woodley is taking over at LOLB. This guy knows how to get to the QB, and that's what we need from him. I truly wouldn't be surprised if he had 10 sacks this season. He's being hyped for a reason, he still needs to prove it.

rich4eagle
06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
As always big performance at skill positions QB,QB,QB.......RB,WR, DE, LB CB

that about says it

PAMillerGrrl83
06-24-2008, 12:00 AM
1. Ben
2. Special Teams play
3. FWP/Mendenhall
5. Heath Miller
6. Troy
7. Santo
8. Ike Taylor

I totally 100% agree with HTG and TMB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
#1 Max Starks.

If Starks is again a backup OT, the $7mil could have been used to sign a DE or FS in free agency or a better OT than Starks or Colon.

I wish they had let him walk, then pickup Shane Olivea on waivers and maybe bank some $$ to try and sign Chris Canty after his 1 year contract expires this season.

Hypocycloid
06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
This is more along the line of 10 keys to their success rather than 10 key players. I didn't go with obvious things that we know will be solid, rather the things that could put them over the top.

1. Bob Ligashesky: Special Teams was our biggest, glaring weakness last year. It also seems to be a problem just about every year. As a fellow IUP Grad, I hope he doesn't embarrass me again this year. If the special teams suck right off the bat, look for him to be sacrificed early. He needs a copy of special teams for dummies. First find someone who can catch a punt or kick, then see if they can run, then design a blocking scheme. I know it is really a tall order. Maybe he should ask the Pittsburgh Passion what the role of a coverage team actually is, then actually try to implement one.

2. Larry Zeirlein: I don't envy this guy's job. Most other people have argued that Big Ben is number 1 on their list and I can't argue with that, but by my way of thinking is that Big Ben is solid and we really don't have to worry how he is going to perform. The actual key is protecting our most valuable player. Picking the right lineup, getting them to play as a unit, and installing functional protection packages to keep Ben out of the training room. I think they have enough talent there to be good, it is just putting the pieces together the right way. He also has the long term success of the team in his hands with development of backup and future players. We all know that there will be problems with who to resign or let go next year. Can he develop Capizzi, Stapleton, Legurski, Hills, Parquet into quality backups or future starters?

3. Mike Tomlin; I know this is cop out but he is also instrumental with number 2 above. Sure everything falls on his shoulders, He held the reins all last year and developed some blisters and occasionally bled, this year he should have developed some calluses and know this team a lot better and have a better vision of what he wants to do with it. And for crying out loud, please learn when to and not to throw the red flag. :banging:

4. Lamar Woodley: Time to let this Wookie loose! If he plays half as good as his limited playing time last year, it will be an upgrade over Haggans. Here's to the hope that he plays twice as good!

5. Rashard Mendenhall: Why not FWP? Well we know what he brings to the table and he has been consistent since his rookie year. The missing key last year was someone who could spell him, block, and catch out of the backfield. Moore can bring that as well, but Rashard is a better athlete who can grind out the clock and pound for tough yardage.

6. Lawrence Timmons: Foote and Farrior are solid but not spectacular. I know a lot of people on this forum have written him off as a failure already. His first season didn't go as we and he hoped. Lets hope that he lives up to his promise and keep us from spending next year's first round draft pick on another linebacker instead of on the DL. We already have a great defense, if he can step it up and be an improvement if he starts, he could make our D all that much sweeter.

7. Troy Polamalu: Train like the wind Polamalu, refresh your way and come back and kick some ass this year. Please remember how to make tackles, not run by them. You have good hands too, remember, please hold on to a few of those passes. Sorry for the plea fellow Steeler profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityf ilter.

8. Hartwig/Stapleton/Legursky. Would someone please step up and claim the Center position....and maybe hold it for the next 5 years. You don't have to be Mike Webster or Dawson, but please be able to handle your assignments so that your guards don't have to help you out and neglect theirs.

9. Komoeatu: Most of us think that he is the guy who is going to fill in for the vacancy left by Faneca. I know numbers 8 and numbers 2 above already address the O-line, but I have no idea what is going to happen with Smith, Starks, Simmons, and Colon. Contractual issues, and moving them around are all issues caused by $7 million dollars for Starks. If Starks wasn't tendered, the picture would be much clearer. I think Komoeatu will play in the spot we all think he will, not sure about anyone else.

10 Bruce Davis: I know...the WTF pick! I know it is a more controversial pick than say Ryan Clark or Athony Smith. I think Clark will be fine and Smith has had a lot of time to think about what happened to him last year, hopefully lighting the appropriate fire under his ass. Bruce Davis will probably not see a lot of playing time and maybe only in a few packages, but I think his key role this year will be on Speical Teams. I think he has the potential to really make an impact on special teams. Is there anyone who is not waiting to see him run down the field and knock the stuffing out of someone? I think he can also assume a leadership role on ST.

Honorable Mention: Someone to step up to be a quality backup at DT. Hello McBean, anybody?

I would also have liked to add Arians to the mix. I thought that a lot of his play calling was boneheaded last year and became predictable. He sorta abandoned the three tight end set that he was so big on at the beginning of the season. Less quarterbacks sneaks on 3rd and long please. Perhaps he was a little limited with injuries and the play of the line last year, so I gave him a pass on the top ten. He shouldn't have any excuses this year....at least on the weapons side of things. Lets hope the line lets him use them.

Elvis
06-25-2008, 05:06 AM
:applaudit:Seems like everyone is in regular season form to me, alot of good ideas and information about some great needs for our team. I guess my list looks like this..

Willie Parker: Pretty much everything goes with our good running game and after willie went down last season I think everyone see that right?

Offensive Line: This is just as important as Big Ben having a great and healthy season, because without great play here we have no chance with our upcoming schedule.

Big Ben: Continuing to learn the new offense and calling the blocking assignments have got to come easier his 2nd time around, or atleast I hope so.

Mike Tomlin: Its time to get the best out of some our least players

Aaron Smith: This guy is the leader of our defense a whole lot more than I ever expected. We need to find someone that can play with him or across from him that has the mentality that he has.

FS Position: Someone must step up, Clark sounds like he is back and A Smith must grow up and make a stand this season or it could be over soon.

Santonio Holmes: This guy has all the talent in the world and I hope that he will continue to go in the direction of a soon 2 B pro bowl player that I think he is.

Nate Washington: If Limas Sweed pans out like I think that he might, then Nate needs to make a big impact so that we could have the best 4some at WR in the league.

My Sleeper?
DB William gay: I hoping for big things for this young man and this could be the year that he takes over for McFadden who has just let his chance slide right on by in my opinion.