PDA

View Full Version : No More Pacman?

fansince'76
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Not exactly Cassius Clay becoming Muhammad Ali or Lew Alcindor becoming Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. What's the old adage again - "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?" How about a scumbag by any other name is still a scumbag?

No more Pacman? Jones wants to drop nickname

Fort Worth, Texas (AP) — No more “Pacman”?

That would be the preference of Adam Jones, the suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback who has been known by the nickname throughout his life. He’d like to be called by his given name and make “Pacman” a thing of the past.

“There’s really just a lot of negativity behind it,” Jones said. “It’s just time for a change, man. I’m doing everything to make sure that I’m all right as a person, mentally and emotionally.”

Jones missed all the 2007 season with the Tennessee Titans while serving his NFL suspension that has not been completed lifted. The Cowboys acquired Jones from the Titans for draft picks in April.

While he was on the practice field with the Cowboys the last three weeks, Jones might have to wait until the week before Dallas’ Sept. 7 opener to find out if commissioner Roger Goodell will let him play during the regular season.

After speaking to about 60 kids at a basketball camp hosted by Dallas Mavericks forward Brandon Bass on Saturday, Jones expressed his desire to drop his nickname.

The kids at the camp called out “Pacman Jones! Pacman Jones!” after he spoke to them. But he signed autographs with his given name, not the nickname given to him by his mother when he was an infant.

“My mom is going to call me ‘Pacman.’ That is what it is. I can’t change that,” Jones said. “I’m not saying that my teammates won’t call me ‘Pacman’ on the field. But for the most part, I want to be Adam or Mr. Jones.”

Rosters handed out by the Cowboys during their mandatory minicamp last week listed No. 21 as “Pacman Jones,” based on what he had initially told team officials.

When Jones conducted his only extensive interview at the Cowboys’ facility June 4, the first week he was cleared by Goodell to practice with the team, he gave no indication that he planned to forsake his nickname.

Jones had told reporters that he’d talk Thursday after the end of minicamp, the last organized on-field sessions for Cowboys until they report July 24 to training camp in Oxnard, Calif. But there was no media access after coach Wade Phillips canceled the final scheduled practice and replaced it with family day activities.

Jones was suspended in April 2007 following an accumulation of arrests and legal problems, including his connection to a shooting at a Las Vegas strip club. He’s been arrested six times and involved in 12 incidents requiring police intervention since being drafted in the first round by Tennessee in 2005.

Meanwhile, Jone’s name has recently appeared in the news. A woman involved in the Las Vegas brawl was found dead last week behind a building in the Bronx, a borough of New York City. Officers found her unresponsive with injuries consistent with a fall.

The woman, 26-year-old Sadia Morrison, had pleaded no contest to a felony battery charge last year in Las Vegas. Jones pleaded no contest to a disorderly conduct charge in Las Vegas after police said he incited the melee.

Back in Tennessee, a foreclosure sale was published involving Jones’ home and 30 acres in a Nashville suburb. The home and land are scheduled to be sold Friday on the courthouse steps. Tax records show Jones purchased the property in July 2006 for $1.5 million, but he defaulted on the terms and conditions of a mortgage.

Pacman Wants To Drop Nickname (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-pacman&prov=ap&type=lgns)

TackleMeBen
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
well he looks like he is trying to change his image by losing the 'pacman' name.. but i am still thinking.. once a scumbag, always a scumbag?? and is this something he wanted on his own or is Jerry Jones behind it??:noidea:

Preacher
06-22-2008, 04:31 PM
well he looks like he is trying to change his image by losing the 'pacman' name.. but i am still thinking.. once a scumbag, always a scumbag?? and is this something he wanted on his own or is Jerry Jones behind it??:noidea:

Oftimes a change in name is an attempt to put the world that goes with the name away... or the personality.

A few other football players have done the same... LT being one them.

TackleMeBen
06-22-2008, 04:38 PM
i hope for his sake he can do that. he is a great corner and i would hate to seem him blow this opportunity that was given to him again.

Preacher
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
i hope for his sake he can do that. he is a great corner and i would hate to seem him blow this opportunity that was given to him again.

Too true.

I am all for a second chance, it is the third or fourth one that gets me...

Jeremy
06-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm rooting for him to get his life turned around and to make things right by those he has hurt.

Preacher
06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm rooting for him to get his life turned around and to make things right by those he has hurt.

Well...

Making amends IS one of the steps...

though I would question it if those amends were made in a public way.

TackleMeBen
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Too true.

I am all for a second chance, it is the third or fourth one that gets me...

i have no problem with giving anyone a second chance, but third, fourth, fifth and so on.. now that is when i have a problem.

Originally Posted by Jeremy http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=407613#post407613)
:iagree:

HometownGal
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
I hope he can stay on the straight and narrow if he is reinstated by GoodPats*, but as my Mama always said - you can't put silk socks on a hog.

SteelersJW
06-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I really hope he turns his life around and succeeds on his new team (even though I hate the cowboys). He's very lucky to be given another chance. If he blows this one however, he should be done for good, no exceptions.

Steelman16
06-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Just as long as he knows he's walking the fine line now, I'm fine with it. Second chances are great. The question is how long it'll take before he bores of being good all the time.

Some folks just never learn...Vick family being a case in point. I hope for his personal sake that he does turn it all around - but I am not a fan of having players in the NFL with a law history like his.

Galax Steeler
06-23-2008, 03:40 AM
I really hope he turns his life around and succeeds on his new team (even though I hate the cowboys). He's very lucky to be given another chance. If he blows this one however, he should be done for good, no exceptions.

Hopefully he will get it right but I have my douhts that he will only time will tell.

CantStop85
06-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I give him less than a year before he paralyzes someone else.

Dino 6 Rings
06-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't care what he calls himself as long as he doesn't make any plays against us.

stlrtruck
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't care what he calls himself as long as he doesn't make any plays against us.

I can't wait for Hines Ward to jack him up. Then he won't have to worry about being Pacman - he'll be a ghost.

TackleMeBen
06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I can't wait for Hines Ward to jack him up. Then he won't have to worry about being Pacman - he'll be a ghost.
so what you are saying is that hines is the little ghost that chase pacman??? :flap:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/justinsnooky/pacman_big.gif

Dino 6 Rings
06-23-2008, 11:51 AM

LOL! Heck yeah, Hines will have his shot at him too when we are in a 3 wide set, and the Boys are in a nickle and we run the ball out of the single back formation. Jones will come up to make a play and get JACKED by Ward!!!

Can't wait for it!

Godfather
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Joey/Albert Belle tried the same thing. It didn't work.

lilyoder6
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
pacman will be playing off as well 4 the big d...

maybe he should change his name to adam "make it rain" jones

MasterOfPuppets
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
the latest pacman cartoon......

http://bangcartoon.com/2007/pacmandallas.htm

TackleMeBen
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
that was too funny:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

The Duke
06-23-2008, 03:01 PM
pacman, adam....he's still an idiot

and btw, why this is news? espn's treating this like some big breaking news. freakin espn and their cowboys love :mad:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-23-2008, 03:06 PM
I am considering this his second chance. If he blows this second chance, then I think he needs to get a perma-ban.

If he wants to drop the "Pacman" nickname, I'm all for it. However, he should ask for his team and the media to call him Adam instead on Pacman then. The only person that he should allow to call him that is his mother.

He's a phenominal athlete and big playmaker. I like watching him play, and I truly hopes he becomes a better person.

Oh, and I hope he gets reinstated so Hines Ward can jack him up.

TackleMeBen
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh, and I hope he gets reinstated so Hines Ward can jack him up.
i am sure hines wouldnt be easy either..lol

i found this on another board and thought it was funny http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/pacman.gif