PDA

View Full Version : RB for next year

Steel Fury
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Who do you think the Steelers will have running the ball next year? I like Duce when he is healthy but that has been about 50% of the games. I think Willie could be good but not completely sold on him as the 16game type of RB. I would love if we could get Shaun Alexander. He is a free agent at the end of the season and I'm sure he has some years left. BUT he will probably cost a lot of $$.

Livinginthe past
11-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I will tell you right now - Shaun Alexander will NOT be a Steeler next year.

The Steelers are not known for their big splashes into the free agency market - much the same as the Patriots.

My belief is that he will sign a long term deal to stay at the Seahawks before too long.

NM

BB2W
11-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I think it will be Willie and Duce... with Willie starting, and Duce in a role similar to what Jerome has done the last few seasons. Verron may, or may not be back next year... either way I think they will select a RB in the middle of the draft...

There is a chance that Noah Herron may get an opportunity to get on the field again...

Friday133
11-14-2005, 12:24 PM
i think we'll see duce, willie and haynes as a RB's next. maybe take a flyer on a late draft pick. i don't see us getting anyone in FA though.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I agree w/ past, there is no way the Steelers could afford nor would they most likely bring him in anyways. They dont break the bank on players in FA, so there's no way he'll be a Steeler. He's an awesome player, but RB in the league for sure, IMO.

It'll be Duce and Willie..and then we'll draft a RB and maybe look to FA for a pickup as well. This is assuming Jerome retires though.

Koopa
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
yeah i also agree with livin.......i hope we can draft lendale white, we need a power back and then switch him up with willie

clevestinks
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah past hit the nail on the head, not to mention way have way to much $$$ wrap up with Duce, and we are stuck with him. He did play well, but the health issues are just to much to overlook.

06` Willie, Duce. Vernon, and a 3 or 4 round draft pick

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe Bus will surprise us all and come back for 1 more season :grin: ok, maybe not too.. :wink:

SteelerFanInATL
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
As much as I love Fast Willie, I don't think he is our running back for the future. He would be a great change of pace back and definately worth keeping. Duce is a great choice but has been prone to injuries the past two seasons. He has the power we are all used too and is a step or two faster the The Bus. My thought is to draft a running back and bring him along slowly while we keep the two mentioned above. Or even look to pick someone up in free agency. Remember, that is how we ended up with J.B.

TasmanianTroy271
11-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree, I hope we get Lendale White in the draft, this kid could really be the future of the Steelers rushing game with Willie. We all know Duce isnt getting any younger...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Steelers need to pick up a back in the firs or second round this year

SteelCityMan786
11-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Willie Will be Startin. Got To Get him developed The Bus If he has his ring won't be back.

24seven
11-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Maybe Bus will surprise us all and come back for 1 more season :grin: ok, maybe not too.. :wink:

lol.. I keep thinking that as well.. You just never know. I think alot depends on if we get a ring this year.. Our prospects look good and if it doesn't happen this year I think he'll take a look and see if it's really worth it to do 1 more year.. As far as I can see i'm sure he'll have it in him.. Just needs to stay healthy....Realistically though It'll be Deuce and Willie.. I'm sure Haynes her way is gone after this year.. It's been a good ride but there's better talent out there.. Wasn't that impressed with Heron so hopefully we'll draft well....

clevestinks
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Steelers need to pick up a back in the firs or second round this year

I would love to see a big time Wide reciever this next draft in the first round. A fast lb in the second, and possibly a rb in the third

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
As far as a starting RB for next year - the smart money has to be on Duce Staley due to the investment the Steelers have placed in him.

However, Willie may not be a genuine starting RB just yet - but I think he has a ton of upside when you consider that he was undrafted FA and now he is ALREADY a proven change of pace RB.

As Shaun Alexander and LT have shown - you dont have to be huge to be a dominating runner.

I think that the Steelers have to areas that require attn more than the RB situation - DL + DB - both of these areas are relatively young but more competition is required to spur the youngsters on and give them guidance - reasonable priced FA pick-ups may be the order of the day here.

As I mentioned in a previous post on another thread - I regard the Pittsburgh WR situation to be its one obvious weakness at this time - 2 hi/mid level draft picks would be wisely spent in this area.

Cheers

NM

JerseySTEEL
11-15-2005, 03:30 PM
We will draft a RB in the 1st so i figure he will be a number 2 to willie,duce i think if we can get rid of him why not hes nohting more then a number 2 thats getting paid top dollar!Don't get me wrong i love duce but the nfl is a biz, and if we draft a RB in the 1st, look for us to give duce the back door if he doesn't want to take a paycut.:cool:

Koopa
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
As far as a starting RB for next year - the smart money has to be on Duce Staley due to the investment the Steelers have placed in him.

However, Willie may not be a genuine starting RB just yet - but I think he has a ton of upside when you consider that he was undrafted FA and now he is ALREADY a proven change of pace RB.

As Shaun Alexander and LT have shown - you dont have to be huge to be a dominating runner.

I think that the Steelers have to areas that require attn more than the RB situation - DL + DB - both of these areas are relatively young but more competition is required to spur the youngsters on and give them guidance - reasonable priced FA pick-ups may be the order of the day here.

As I mentioned in a previous post on another thread - I regard the Pittsburgh WR situation to be its one obvious weakness at this time - 2 hi/mid level draft picks would be wisely spent in this area.

Cheers

NM

haawww......stop saying stuff that i agree with lol, yeah i would like to get a running back cough lendale white cough in the first but there is more issues that need to be addressed i wouldn't mind going defense in the first round second round, i didn't like that we just stayed the same to me not adding anyone sometimes isn't always good cause teams figure you out more and look our d is nowhere as good as it was last year.

and maybe a wr cause i'm sure we won't keep ARE, i read on one mock draft that we could get big bens former teammate in the second........i wonder if we are gonna get rid of wilson cause he's being a twat and there is no need for him if we can resign quincy morgan, also i hope washington can step up too.

clevestinks
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Past seems to know our needs as well as we do! Maybe he is on his way to our side???

LOL

JerseySTEEL
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM
haawww......stop saying stuff that i agree with lol, yeah i would like to get a running back cough lendale white cough in the first but there is more issues that need to be addressed i wouldn't mind going defense in the first round second round, i didn't like that we just stayed the same to me not adding anyone sometimes isn't always good cause teams figure you out more and look our d is nowhere as good as it was last year.

and maybe a wr cause i'm sure we won't keep ARE, i read on one mock draft that we could get big bens former teammate in the second........i wonder if we are gonna get rid of wilson cause he's being a twat and there is no need for him if we can resign quincy morgan, also i hope washington can step up too.

The draft This year if everything goes right or even in the direction i want it to go is RB in the first round, DE in the secound round, and OC in the third round of the draft. Wr for me i dont see a very big spot being open for us we have very good depth with Ward,El, Wilson,Morgan,N4t, and morey. I see you heard in a mock we would go after Martin Nance Bens WR in college, well i say thats whishful thinking, Nance is even slower then plax but has better hands.De is one spot we may look for early since Von is old and his back up K isnt very young either so we could go in the secound round for a DE, We can get a Top 5 OC in the third so no worrys there, so just my thoughts on how the draft might turn out.

RB-Lendale White
DE-Manase Hopoi
OC-Mike degory

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd rather have Lawrence Maroney at RB than Lendale White if possible. Like the other picks though. We'll need a WR and QB too!

Koopa
11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd rather have Lawrence Maroney at RB than Lendale White if possible. Like the other picks though. We'll need a WR and QB too!

yeah we diffenetly need a new qb big ben is garbage and was a waste of a first round pick, we should've drafted jp losman..................j/k we do need to draft a legit backup for big ben.......i don't know much about lawrence maroney i'm just saying lendale cause i've seen him play a lot

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Nah, we don't need to draft a backup, but we may need to get one depending on how things go with Maddox. It's not that big of a concern.

I think Maroney would be a great fit for us. He's like Lendale+ (better blend of skills and he plays for a worse, cold weather team). He'll probably go early though...

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Past seems to know our needs as well as we do! Maybe he is on his way to our side???

LOL

Its true that I have been feeling the pull of the 'dark side' in recent weeks....I need to book an appointment with Bill 'Yoda' Belicheck to increase my Jedi power to resist....must....resist.......temptation.......

Or maybe I believe an old Roman maxim - 'Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'......hmmm...its probably the first option - you lot are too nice to be half decent enemies (you could work on your nastiness between now and the postseason)

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
11-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Okay, I`ll try to be mean, if we meet later this year! We just like your football knowledge

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Its true that I have been feeling the pull of the 'dark side' in recent weeks....I need to book an appointment with Bill 'Yoda' Belicheck to increase my Jedi power to resist....must....resist.......temptation.......

Or maybe I believe an old Roman maxim - 'Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'......hmmm...its probably the first option - you lot are too nice to be half decent enemies (you could work on your nastiness between now and the postseason)

Cheers

NM

Doh, now's he figured us out.. see, we're secretly keeping you around cuz you are our arch enemy, so this way we can pump you for information :grin:

"Past, SF is your father, turn to the dark side of the force: :rofl:

Now you know we can be mean when we want to be, but ur just too damn civil and knowledgable !! :tt:

Koopa
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
mean???? me be mean to a fan of another team??? no way i can ever do that :grin:

Suitanim
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Bear in mind, the Steelers are not known for picking the super skill (i.e. RB or QB) positions in the first round...they try to avoid the out of control signing bonuses players like that usually require. They actually signed Ben on the cheap, but paid out the nose (and deservedly so) since his was an incentive laden contract.

Look for the Steelers to pick up an OC, probably Nick Mangold or Greg Eslinger in the late first round...you can almost bank on it, since they have a need for a quality center, and have always based their OL on the center.

As a matter of fact, bank on it. It's almost assured that one of these two will be there late, and the Steelers will take one of them...

rgleason
11-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Well put Suit. I think people are always drawn towards the idea of drafting skill high, but people need to trust the Steelers when it comes to the draft, few if any are better consistently at pegging talent and knowing which leaks to plug. We def. have more pressing needs than RB and WR (need more depth on OL and LB probably).

TasmanianTroy271
11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
The Steelers won't draft Laurence Maroney. Everyone has him going way before the Steelers come up. He's like the number 2 back in the draft after Bush. People have us taking White because he'd apparently be a great fit here and we're gonna need a power back eventually. Then again, if we get a first rounder in our O Line, a 3 round back could be just as good. Like everyone always says, The line is the key.

I don't know why everyone is yelling about Ben needing a back up whenever Batch threw 13/19 with no picks against the Browns. He's only an 8 year vet, he can be Ben's backup for another 2 years at least. I also hate how people are hollering about our DL. WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE. Smith, Kimo, and Casey can hold their own with almost any OL in the league. We're also able to interchange with Keisel, Kirschke, and Hoke whenever we want, and they do just as well. We may not have any really yuong guys, but I think the earliest we should spend on a D Lineman is 3rd round unless someone in the top 10 falls to us.

Our future at WR is a problem. We have Ward who will be our #1 reciever for a while. Randle El is a good all around athlete, and can hold a back-up QB spot if nessacary. Cedric Wilson hasn't been showing much, but we signed the guy to a 4-year contract. Quincy's been coming up great on ST, and we only have him at a 1 year contract. We also have Nate Washington who showed great in camp and preseason, but could just as easily pull a Zamir Cobb next year and show nothing. So if we draft a WR early, we're gonna have Nate Washington, Randle El, Quincy, and the rookie all looking for contracts. Who should we cut in that instance?

A safe bet for early next draft'll be a ILB. Maybe a S, depending on how well of a season Hope has.

JerseySTEEL
11-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Its rare for a OC to go in the first, we can get the same talent at OC in the 2nd or even the 3rd rounds lol.

2nd

1.MIKE DEGORY
2.Marvin Philip

3rd

1.Donovan Raiola
2.Ryan Cook

We wont go Center in the 1st round.

Laurence Maroney is a top 20 pick, so no chance we get him. Anyway i dont like him hes a Ron Dayne in my eyes.

Suitanim
11-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Yup...you're right...it's rare. However, it's rare to have 2 centers of the caliber of these guys available. Wait til rd 2, and these guys are gone.

JerseySTEEL
11-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Yup...you're right...it's rare. However, it's rare to have 2 centers of the caliber of these guys available. Wait til rd 2, and these guys are gone.

Most people consider Mangold a number 8 in the ranking for C. As for Eslinger hes undersized for the NFL game and needs to get more strength.

Greg Eslinger

Greg Eslinger has tons of experience at the center position, having been a starter for the past four seasons. In that time he has proven to be an extremely durable player, having not missed a single start in his entire career at the University of Minnesota. He has come a long way in terms of size, having put on 60 pounds of bulk since his freshman season. However, at 285 pounds, Eslinger is still undersized for an NFL center. He will need to continue to get bigger and stronger to avoid getting pushed around by some of the larger defensive linemen in the NFL. He is an outstanding run blocker and one of the most athletic offensive linemen in the nation. He does an excellent job of getting to the 2nd level in the run game. He needs to improve his pass-blocking technique, an area he wasn’t able to work on much in Minnesota where they ran the ball 60-70% of the time the majority of his career. Eslinger has all the intangibles you look for in a football player. He is very intelligent and almost always makes the proper line calls. He has a work ethic that is unmatched--He gives 100% on every play and is constantly working to improve his game. Greg Eslinger is one of the best centers in the nation and should be one of the top interior offensive linemen selected in the 2006 NFL draft.

just some analysis on him.

and why waste a 1st rounder on center that doesnt have anything more then the others that we could get in the 2nd! Not much sense if u ask.

Also, u say we dont go after the big players, well thats really not true we wait to let players fall to us so if White does fall why not he would be one the steals late in the first?

TasmanianTroy271
11-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Another thing is that Bush, White, Williams, and Maroney's stock could all rise or fall after workouts and scouting. It's all possibly that White could end up going before Bush if Bush blows his workouts and White does amazing. The workouts really affect the draft order...

BigSteelThrill
11-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Willie and Duce. Will add one player during the off season. Might be a middle draft pick or a free agent. Something that is not to pricey and could end up being a boon. Like a Najeh Davenport/Johnathan Wells type.

tony hipchest
11-16-2005, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=rgleason]Well put Suit. I think people are always drawn towards the idea of drafting skill high, but people need to trust the Steelers when it comes to the draft, few if any are better consistently at pegging talent and knowing which leaks to plug. We def. have more pressing needs than RB and WR (need more depth on OL and LB probably).[/QUOTEand not only that but character counts. the steelers are a type of team who would pass on a sean taylor and pick a player like polamalu. people questionned when we drafted randel el instead of a. bryant. steelers moved ahead of dallas to draft k. bell. dallas wound up with quincy carter. theres the move up to take colclough. not only do they recognize talent but they heavilly weigh character too. some times that means passing on some of the flashier most talented (and expensive) player. 2 years ago alot of fans wanted k. jones or s. jackson. that $ was better spent on a qb. why draft a rb high when you can pull a w. parker as a rookie free agent?

clevestinks
11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
I guess I`m always looking at play makers in the draft, not always needs. Great call on getting a possible center. Hartings is an animal, but for how much longer?
Also a DL, Kimo has age catching up to him, but I think we need him to stay at least another year, this guy can still bring it.

SuperMan313
11-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think the Steelers would be able to afford Shaun Alexander I'd rather give Duce a chance

SuperMan313
11-16-2005, 09:38 PM
The Steelers wouldn't be able to afford Shaun Alexander, as much as I would love to see him wearing, Black and Gold, but I'd rather give Duce a chance.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Verron Haynes will be gone. Staley will be cut due to injuries and besides he is a bum and Jerome is retiring. Well...Willie will be here still. Shaun Alexander is free to go because Seattle lost their opportunity to hold on to him. He is free to sign with whoever he wants to without any restrictions from Seatlle. I believe that he would love to come to us for lower money than say some un-contending team. But will it happen, probably not.

Suitanim
11-18-2005, 06:53 PM
The problem with Alexander is he doesn't like to be troubled with blocking...

Rotorhead
11-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Well from what I am seeing, our only real holes are the outside pass rush (sorry, I think Porter is great, but maybe lost a step) and possibly RB if Duce is really that injury prone. (I still think his "injuries" this year had a little more to do with him being fresh for the back stretch run into the playoffs). I think after Bettis retires, that will free up enough money to keep ARE here for a few more years which will make our receiving no problem. Our young DB's are going to be very good starting next year. Our OL and DL are good for a couple more years as are our ILB's. I bet our draft consists of a 1st rnd OLB and 2nd rnd RB followed by depth players to bring up behind the vets. Maybe a Safety depending on Hope's injury.

clevestinks
11-20-2005, 06:55 AM
What about Penn States Hunt, as a possible 3rd or 4th round pick?

slashsteel
11-20-2005, 09:56 AM
If you have a shot at a Alexander you go for him. BUt like many have said I doubt he becomes a Steeler. We probably will keep Staley and PArker and draft one back.

I know people have their favorites. But Bettis was important to our scheme. It would be wise to replace him with a similar back who can do some if not all of the same things, Bettis brings to the table.

I agree, I hope we get Lendale White in the draft, this kid could really be the future of the Steelers rushing game with Willie.

And I want this back as well. Like Bettis he is big and a goal line back, and still quick enough to be our power back on a consistant basis if Staley and Parker wern't available.

Stlrs4Life
11-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Staley will be cut, too injury prone. Bettis retires. Willie Parker will be back. Haynes is a FA. Wouldn't offer too much for him. Hard to say, we will be drafting a RB, more than likely. And get 1 through FA.

steelcityjameser
11-20-2005, 11:25 AM
shaun alexader is 28 and he wants a longterm contract. not just the money, but the return on the investment should be considered here. historically a running back's performance declines significantly after 30 years of age and i cannot see tying up that kind of money on a guy who could only give you one or two good years. big free agent signings are not the way of the steelers. they will pick up an economical value-added rb or build through the draft, the way they have always done it.

DuceOnTheLoose
11-20-2005, 12:42 PM
willie parker certainly is a good change for pitts running game though. get a few to the outside and then come in with duce up the middle. i dont know who they will draft next year, but whoever it is, we will still have duce and parker. so that would give us atleast 3 good RB if we draft another

clevestinks
11-20-2005, 02:45 PM
We`ll loose our asses if we cut that bum Staley. Bettis will be gone. Willie we be back , but we need some depth! Staley has got to go.