PDA

View Full Version : Commentary: How to fix our broken immigration system

Jeremy
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Commentary: How to fix our broken immigration system (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/23/navarrette/index.html?iref=mpstoryview)

SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- In a recent commentary, I spelled out what bothers many Hispanics about the immigration debate. In response, many readers demanded to know -- for all my criticisms -- how I would go about fixing our broken immigration system. I thought they'd never ask.

First, let's keep it real. Congress doesn't have the appetite to reform the immigration system -- no matter which party is running the show. It's always the same story. After all the huffing and puffing, any workable solution needs to have two components: employer sanctions with teeth and a tamper-proof identification card for all U.S. workers to tell employers who is eligible to work. Republicans won't allow the first; Democrats won't allow the second. Game over.

But, if it were so inclined, here's what Congress should do:

1) By way of enforcement -- stiffen penalties against employers with a "three strikes" law (first offense, a warning; second, $10,000 fine; third, 10 days in jail); revise the 1996 Immigration Reform and Control Act by removing the word "knowingly," as in employers only face punishment if they knowingly hire an illegal immigrant; create an identification card; instead of adding more border patrol agents (the agency can't meet hiring goals as it is), give the agents already on the line better tools, including tunnel detection equipment; extend the deployment of the National Guard on the border, now set to expire on July 15; continue workplace raids but, for heaven's sake, arrest an employer every once in a while; and speed up deportations.

2) By way of legalizing the undocumented -- make it contingent on meeting enforcement goals, or "triggers"; establish a cutoff so that only those who can prove that they've been in the country for five years or more are eligible to apply for legal status and deport more recent arrivals; require applicants to learn English, pay a $5,000 fine, undergo criminal background checks, return to their home country to be processed, and take their place in the back of the line behind all those who are trying to enter the country legally; and, for those who are eventually given legal status, institute a lifetime ban on receiving welfare, Medicaid or food stamps but allow them to collect what they've contributed to Social Security.

3) By way of reforming the system for those who immigrate legally -- increase the allotment of green cards and work visas, including H1B visas for highly skilled workers; triple the number of legal immigrants currently admitted from 1 million to 3 million, or 1 percent of the total U.S. population; abandon the current system of using family reunification as the main criteria for admitting new immigrants but don't adopt the silly and offensive idea of a point system that rewards education and skills; instead, let the market drive the process by making labor demands the major criteria so (how's this for radical?) we always have jobs for those who come here instead of admitting engineers and doctors if what we really need are teachers and nurses.

This isn't brain surgery. But some of this will take courage and common sense. The bad news is, those can be scarce commodities in Washington.

Hammer Of The GODS
06-24-2008, 12:44 AM
In time the whole thing will be taken care off on it's own momentum. People come here for a better way of life. When there are so many people here that the quality of life gets flushed down the shitter they will look to some other country for a 3 bedroom apartment to cram thier 15 member family into! Then that country will have to worry about being bi-lingual!

Waiting on the attacks of my facetiousness..............:coffee:

Jeremy
06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
In time the whole thing will be taken care off on it's own momentum. People come here for a better way of life. When there are so many people here that the quality of life gets flushed down the shitter they will look to some other country for a 3 bedroom apartment to cram thier 15 member family into! Then that country will have to worry about being bi-lingual!

Waiting on the attacks of my facetiousness..............:coffee:

Your post is too ignorant too attack. Plus it shows you have no clue about American history.

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
How to fix it.

As long as the Mexican economy is a black hole which leaves people with little hope, the prospect of coming to the US for a better life will always push them north. So first, we must work closer with the Mexican Government and Market to help bolster their stagering economy. That's got to happen first.

Next we need to make it a lot harder to get here. Discourage the illegal flow by making it much harder to get into the country illegally. If this means taller fences, duel fences with patrols, cameras or drones, then it must be done.

Third we must establish penalties against companies that hire people who are in the country illlegally. Take away the source of funds and they will have no reason to seak a new life illegally.

Also, we must cut back on our medical care for non-emergency situations. A kid with a cold should not be given a visit in an emergency room. We can not allow our hospitals to be over run with non-emergency patients. I'm all for helping those in dire need, but currently, the system is abused and bills go unpaid in the millions.

Establish English only for our schools, roads, atms, phone services. Don't give them a reason to not assimilate. That creates laziness and lack of caring. We musn't make it easy for them to get in, get here, and then not adapt. All other cultures in American history that have migrated to America adapted to the language first and foremost. Broken Italian in NJ is hilarious by the way, but my Italian Great Aunt talks English as well as any native born American schooled in the US. That's got to be a priority. Especially when the next wave comes, as it will from China.

Its important that all immigrants are given the same shot, the same rules and the same goals, regardless of country of origin. Immigrants from India don't have "press 2 for Hindi" the immigrants from China don't have "choose language, English, Chinese" on the atms. Its an important part of assimilation and must be adopted.

That's how I see it being fixed. There is no "one" solution. It must involve every single aspect of what is broken.

Godfather
06-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Also, we must cut back on our medical care for non-emergency situations. A kid with a cold should not be given a visit in an emergency room. We can not allow our hospitals to be over run with non-emergency patients. I'm all for helping those in dire need, but currently, the system is abused and bills go unpaid in the millions.

Yep...trouble is no emergency room is going to turn someone away who isn't in serious trouble. Defensive medicine--if they're wrong and the patient dies, there will be (and should be) hell to pay in civil court.

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Yep...trouble is no emergency room is going to turn someone away who isn't in serious trouble. Defensive medicine--if they're wrong and the patient dies, there will be (and should be) hell to pay in civil court.

Someone very close to me works for a Catholic Hospital. It is there standing policy to help anyone that needs help, paying special attention to anyone with financial problems, or single mother status, regardless of immigration status. They go out of their way to help those that need the most help. Problem is, those people don't pay and everything is based on donations and tax breaks.

Guess what hospital has problems keeping the best of the best when it comes to doctors and nurses. You can only keep salaries down so much to watch costs before those very talented doctors start seaking out for For Profit hospitals.

Hammer Of The GODS
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Your post is too ignorant too attack. Plus it shows you have no clue about American history.

Touched a nerve.......... look up the word facetious. My post was just that "joking inappropriately." Which by the way is my right!

And I do know about American history. The means by which immagrants cross the border now compared to the ellis island days is as different as night and day! I have NO problem with coming here legally. Problem is the majority are not! There are laws here in the US and I live by them every day. So I give no quarter for those who do not! If you don't like my opinion well, tough shit! I fought for my country and the people who live here and I will say any GD thing about the things that are effed up in this country when I damn well please!

Also we did NOT mandate that we teach children in school the languages of the ellis island immagrants because the immagrants were too lazy or to stupid(take your pick) to learn the native language of english! My children should be learning math, reading and science instead of classes placating to the laziness or stupidity (again take your pick) of people who claim they want to be Americans but will not abide by the same standards the rest of us do.

I can't help it if the truth hurts!

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I believe mandating English only will go a long way to fixing our current Immigration system.

Godfather
06-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Someone very close to me works for a Catholic Hospital. It is there standing policy to help anyone that needs help, paying special attention to anyone with financial problems, or single mother status, regardless of immigration status. They go out of their way to help those that need the most help. Problem is, those people don't pay and everything is based on donations and tax breaks.

Guess what hospital has problems keeping the best of the best when it comes to doctors and nurses. You can only keep salaries down so much to watch costs before those very talented doctors start seaking out for For Profit hospitals.

They'd be better off recruiting older doctors and nurses who have money saved up and don't need the nest egg as much. Those doctors and nurses would also be sick of dealing with insurance companies.

Jeremy
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I can tell you that here in Arizona, things like car and health insurance are quite a bit above the national average because of illegal immigration.

fansince'76
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I can tell you that here in Arizona, things like car and health insurance are quite a bit above the national average because of illegal immigration.

Same deal here in Colorado - especially with the car insurance.

MACH1
06-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Same deal here in Colorado - especially with the car insurance.

Same thing here in Idaho. We actually have a immigrant labor camp here where they live for next to nothing. No, its not tents or anything like that. Its a big a** apartment complex just for them. Not even a single homeless mother of ten could get a room in.:mad:

Jeremy
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
California is an interesting case when it comes to immigration. Instead of trying to deny benefits to illegals, they're trying to make them pay taxes and extend basic services to them so that the hit isn't as severe.