PDA

View Full Version : Strahan says Giants should dump Shockey, pay Plaxico

HughC
06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Strahan: Giants should dump Shockey (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spstrahan255740943jun25,0,4156530.story)

Michael Strahan was 30 minutes into his new career being paid to express opinions, and he wasted no time showing his willingness to do so.

What does he think the Giants should do with disillusioned tight end Jeremy Shockey?

"He doesn't want to play here; that's obvious with everything that's going on," Strahan told Newsday yesterday after being introduced as the newest cast member on "Fox NFL Sunday."

"I don't think you gain much by keeping a guy around. Regardless of how well he plays for you, there's always that tension, and that's one thing you can't have if you're expected to go back and repeat."

Strahan added Shockey might do his job well, but that doesn't mean he would be happy.

"You don't need that out of one of your leaders," the recently retired defensive end said. "So I think the best thing for them and for Shockey is if they have the opportunity, let him go."

That's the kind of thing Fox will be looking for from Strahan, who signed a four-year deal believed to be worth about $2.3 million a year after fielding offers from other networks.

As much as his know-how, Fox wanted Strahan's personality, which it believes will fit right in with an entrenched, irreverent cast. He is expected to sit between Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson.

Long said he is such a perfect fit he seems "computer generated."

During the news conference, someone asked Strahan about receiver Plaxico Burress' contract protest, and he launched into a monologue defending Burress and arguing the non-guaranteed nature of football contracts justifies players taking such stands.

"It's a one-way contract, so the players, you have no rights," he said. "They can come in and say, 'You suck, get out of here,' but I can't walk into the team and say, 'You know, this team really sucks. I want to go somewhere else."'

Eventually Johnson cut him off, saying, "Michael, that is bull," and argued bonuses amount to guarantees. Soon the entire cast was arguing, with Strahan and Terry Bradshaw trading barbs about their respective divorces while Fox Sports president Ed Goren beamed.

TackleMeBen
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Five Reasons Why The New York Giants Won't Repeat

5. Plaxico Burress Contract Distraction

4. Michael Strahan's Retirement and Key Losses On Defense

3. Dallas Cowboys Emerging As the Beasts of the NFC East

2. Problems At the Halfback Position

1. Which Eli Manning Will We Get?

KeiselPower99
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Who cares. Im sick of hearing how Eli is awesome just cause he put it together at the end of the season. Just cause his name is Manning he gets all the attention. As for Shockey they should have traded him. Its all a distraction now.

The Duke
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
3. Dallas Cowboys Emerging As the Beasts of the NFC East

giants won 3 playoff games and the super bowl .cowboys choked their only playoff game. who's better?

the giants should trade shockey imo. burress, same old burress, needs to realize he's a super bowl champ and should act as a team player.

Preacher
06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
giants won 3 playoff games and the super bowl .cowboys choked their only playoff game. who's better?

the giants should trade shockey imo. burress, same old burress, needs to realize he's a super bowl champ and should act as a team player.

Shockey just seems to be a headcase.

Burress... well... What do we expect?

I am surprised he didn't drop the pass in the SB!

Dino 6 Rings
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Burress... well... What do we expect?

I am surprised he didn't drop the pass in the SB!

It was a First Down pass, hence the reason he caught it. Had it been 3rd or even 4th down, it would have been dropped and he'd have cried about being held.

Steelman16
06-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Regardless, Strahan is right. Why keep a player you're better without? Shockey didn't even support his team during the year, and hardly even in the playoffs. Kevin Boss is the future for TE on that team.

I don't think the Giants will repeat, though they may make the wildcard.

Burress....what's new?

Galax Steeler
06-26-2008, 05:13 AM
Shockey would be better playing in oakland with the basket case all davis.

revefsreleets
06-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't want Strahan as my GM, but he's definitely right this time. Shockey'd make a nice Bengal, methinks...

TackleMeBen
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't want Strahan as my GM, but he's definitely right this time. Shockey'd make a nice Bengal, methinks...
does he have a rap record yet??? that is a must to play for the bengals:chuckle:

Glace
06-27-2008, 01:21 AM
The Giants could and in my opinion, should win the division this year. How they fare in the playoffs is all on Eli.

To me, it will be interesting to see how Eli plays this year after having won the Superbowl. He's the kind of player that needs to calm down and not make stupid mistakes....there's always pressure to perform, but I imagine the pressure is a lot greater on the guys that haven't won one yet....Just ask his big bro Peyton after it took a while to get one when everybody built their offense up to be unstoppable.

St33lersguy
06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
I agree with Strahan. Shockey is not helping the team at all and he's a hothead. They're better off without him. Burress had a great season for a guy who was injured almost all season so they should keep him.

MasterOfPuppets
06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
"They can come in and say, 'You suck, get out of here,' but I can't walk into the team and say, 'You know, this team really sucks. I want to go somewhere else."'
ummmmmm..... not true. ask ocho stinko.....or Eli " i won't play for san diego" manning.