PDA

View Full Version : Randel El at QB?

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
In light of Tommy's recent peformance, or lack thereof, why not start Randel EL at QB? It's obivious that we are going to have to run the ball 90% of the time this Sun. and any passes that will be thrown will be high percentage passes that I think he would be capable of delivering. Plus he would always be a threat to run the ball.

pitt
11-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Randel El's throw looked good but I'm not sure he would be any good for a whole game.

clevestinks
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I think it would fun to try from time to time , but a whole gam??? Im not so sure, but I m open minded

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
They wont do it I wouldnt imagine. We need El at WR to compliment Hines, Wilson, Heath, etc. Yes we'll be able to run the ball. Thats what we do, we run it no matter what. I think using El in moderation would be a great thing. like last nite, nobody saw that pass coming.. it was awesome. Using El more like in a slash role could be awesome.

But I wouldnt look for him to be the flat out starter in the event of injury anytime soon. You're losing too much in other parts of the field w/ him if u do that. Losing a starter at WR, and also ur main punt returner.

TasmanianTroy271
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I dunno. Maybe put him in a 4th quarter and see how he does, or have him throw it more at practice. It'd be an interesting thing to see, though. A big threat. He can run, hand it off, or throw it...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Hell.......Heath use to be a qb, throw him in there

Ambridge
11-14-2005, 07:05 PM
They wont do it I wouldnt imagine. We need El at WR to compliment Hines, Wilson, Heath, etc. Yes we'll be able to run the ball. Thats what we do, we run it no matter what. I think using El in moderation would be a great thing. like last nite, nobody saw that pass coming.. it was awesome. Using El more like in a slash role could be awesome.

I think Randel El would be an adequate starter for one game until Ben gets back.
Give Quincy Morgan double duty on the punt and kickoff returns and lets see what Nate Washington can do as an extra receiver.

I.C. Lights
11-14-2005, 07:13 PM
A few weeks ago, a lot of folks were busting on Randel El for his poor decision to try to lateral to Hines... now people want to put El in a position where he has to make decisions for an entire game?

I'll take my chances with Maddox.

Randle el#82
11-15-2005, 02:07 AM
i would rather see Randle el in there then maddox slow,weak arm @$$

24seven
11-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Randle El played excellent at qb in collage.. Just because he tried to make a play 1 time doesn't mean he would make bad decisions constantly so that statement is rediculous.. It doesn't even compare with Tommy's 3 int's and 1 fumble in 1 game... I'm sure he would do fine and as for missing him at WR... Ward catches 90 percent of the passes anyways and we have tons of great receivers just waiting to get the ball.. Wilson,Miller,Morgan,Ward,Washington.. I'm sure there's others i'm forgetting too not to mention the backs.. Realistically it will never happen but it's a nice wet dream to think about.. For sure it would bring back the old Slash days.. But we all know what happened to that story....

Blitzburgh55
11-15-2005, 12:50 PM
IM all for it

hicksfan
11-15-2005, 01:45 PM
There's no way Randle El could play QB for an entire game outside of an emergency situation, which would be 95% run and limited passing.

There's no reason not to pick somebody off waivers before that happened.

Tim
11-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Don't forget that by starting him as QB, you lose a major component of the receiving corps. Maybe not as critical for a run-oriented offense, but it's still one less person to pass to. It'd mean Wilson moving up to #2 and while he played well in that last game, I'm not sure he's the guy you want at #2.

hicksfan
11-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Don't forget that by starting him as QB, you lose a major component of the receiving corps. Maybe not as critical for a run-oriented offense, but it's still one less person to pass to. It'd mean Wilson moving up to #2 and while he played well in that last game, I'm not sure he's the guy you want at #2.

The biggest concern is that he can't see over the offensive line. After that, I'm concerned with the size of his hands.

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 03:04 PM
if el was meant to start a game at qb the steelers wouldve put him on the "slash" program several years ago. he is a wr, not a qb. you wont see m. jones jumping up the depth chart to starting if b. leftwhich gets hurt. i dont think el wants to be like seneca wallace either (buried on the bench and forgotten about) in seattle.

that pass sunday night was probably the prettiest throw you will see from any wr in the league though. if they expandes els role with a little more running and passing i wouldnt mind. especially if it works like the last 2 weeks did.

tony hipchest
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
The biggest concern is that he can't see over the offensive line. After that, I'm concerned with the size of his hands.
yeah hes pretty much tiny compared to a ben, daunte, payton, mcnabb. etc.

Livinginthe past
11-15-2005, 03:35 PM
I really cannot see how you can have Randel El at QB for a number of reasons.

Firstly, how much time will he have spent learning all the playcalls - I am sure QB's have to know alot more of them compared to a WR.

Secondly, you lose one of your best WR's - one poster suggested you have 'tons of great receivers' - let me assure you that you dont and you need all the game breakers you can get.

Thirdly, and most importantly, coach Cowher will never admit that he has QB's on his roster that cant beat out a WR for the back-up position - it would also decimate what remaining confidence these QB's have, which is not much anyway.

As a trick play option he is definitely viable - but as a back-up QB? No way.

NM

clevestinks
11-15-2005, 03:39 PM
El is fine where he is at! Yes Tommy has looked terrible, but its no news to us, that we can win football games with defense and good running

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Randle El played excellent at qb in collage.. Just because he tried to make a play 1 time doesn't mean he would make bad decisions constantly so that statement is rediculous.. It doesn't even compare with Tommy's 3 int's and 1 fumble in 1 game... I'm sure he would do fine and as for missing him at WR... Ward catches 90 percent of the passes anyways and we have tons of great receivers just waiting to get the ball.. Wilson,Miller,Morgan,Ward,Washington.. I'm sure there's others i'm forgetting too not to mention the backs.. Realistically it will never happen but it's a nice wet dream to think about.. For sure it would bring back the old Slash days.. But we all know what happened to that story....

Aren't you guilty of the same "sampling" logic? Your argument assumes that Randel El would be a good NFL quarterback for the Steelers based on his performance at Indiana. I think it's much more probable (and logical) after watching Randel El's maverik antics (the failed lateral, the running backwards, the ball handling, etc.) that we'd see a lot more turnovers with him at QB than with Maddox on any given day. I don't see the rationality in sacrificing a star receiver who has not quarterbacked in years and is unproven at this level out of fear that our current quarterback's slump will continue.

24seven
11-15-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm not saying they SHOULD put him in.. I said it could be a possible situation but most likely would never happen. Anythings possible so why are you trying to argue with me over a hypothetical situation.. Your saying he couldn't do it cause he would make to many mistakes is just opinion and nothing more.. You can't say he would be this or that without it every happening.. That's all i was trying to say..

Suitanim
11-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's a very reasonable question...Since Batch is out, and we don't know what's up with Ben yet, what if Maddox continues to suck open ass? I suspect he will. There is just nothing on any of his passes longer than 15-20 yards, which eliminates him from making 70% of the throws an NFL QB needs to make.

We need every win we can get in the ultra-competitive AFC. If Maddox sucks, Wisenhut is going to practically eliminate the pass from the playbook (not unlike he did in the latter part of the 2nd half of the Browns game). Would you rather have a VERY mobile ARE handing the ball off and occasionally attempting a pass, or the rubber-armed, statue-of-liberty-like mobility impaired Tommy Maddox doing the same?

If it comes down to a situation like the Jacksonville game, I say put El in there and play for the win. Maddox is completely and absolutely done...there's nothing left there.

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
If it comes down to a situation like the Jacksonville game, I say put El in there and play for the win. Maddox is completely and absolutely done...there's nothing left there.

All in all, I'd take Maddox over El based on everything I've seen, and I think Maddox should get the start. But even a non-knee jerk guy like myself would have to agree that it's completely fair to treat this game as the breaking point for Maddox, and I wouldn't object to putting El in if, in fact, Maddox just turns out to be horrible again. You present a good compromise between giving Maddox the benefit of the doubt (i.e. at least get the first half of the game to show that this isn't just a slump) and effectively ending his career with the Steelers.

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not saying they SHOULD put him in.. I said it could be a possible situation but most likely would never happen. Anythings possible so why are you trying to argue with me over a hypothetical situation.. Your saying he couldn't do it cause he would make to many mistakes is just opinion and nothing more.. You can't say he would be this or that without it every happening.. That's all i was trying to say..

I have the feeling you are reading my posts as angry attacks. Please don't - I really do play nice! I just disagree that it is "ridiculous" to choose Maddox over Randel El in light of El's previous maverick antics. I would hesitate to call anyone's opinion ridiculous when it's based on logical inferences.

Randle el#82
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
if the pats put LBs as TEs and WRs as DBs i dont see why we cant try a WR at QB

hicksfan
11-15-2005, 08:47 PM
I live in Indiana, and watched IU play on occasion. I'm not detracting from Antwan in any way, shape or form but his succesful style of play (VERY run-oriented) doesn't bode well for a man of his size in the NFL. Give him an opportunity to have a clear view of the field (such as running the reverse out to the open and and line Hines up in his sights) and he can give you that added "umph" of another wrinkle that surfaces on occasion and he'll deliver.

Pretty wild, but wasn't it was just last year that Bill Cowher was calling Neil O'Donnell after Maddox went down? I don't think this situation is that extreme, I'm just saying there are several alternatives.

I.C. Lights
11-15-2005, 08:48 PM

We can. But, the Pats do it because they need to, right? I think there's just disagreement on whether or not we need to as well. Let's hope Tommy doesn't put Cowher in the position of having to make that decision.

hicksfan
11-15-2005, 08:48 PM

For an entire game? When?

24seven
11-17-2005, 02:04 AM
I would hesitate to call anyone's opinion ridiculous when it's based on logical inferences.

Here's some logic for you then..
Randle El's career passing totals in the NFL are 12 of 14 for 112 yards, two touchdowns and a 139.6 passer rating.

Now.. logic tells me that "maverick antics" don't much come into play when he's playing in the quarterback position. And I'm sure Cower would make it clear to him to not showboat or make stupid mistakes. For a guy that broke all kinds of records at Indiana I can't believe the lack of confidence he has in his fans since turning wide receiver. Nobody thought Stewart would amount to much either but Slash soon became a household name. It's just a 1 time thing anyways I think it would be fun to see what he could do. We know Ben is back after so what would it hurt? I almost can't stand to watch Maddox's slumpin shoulders,whiny face, and broken man look stumble off the field anymore.. Maddox will probably start for sure though.. And if he does screw the pooch.. give Randle the ball and just go for broke.. There's nothin to lose....

Livinginthe past
11-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Im over at the the San Diego forum suggesting that LaDainian Tomlinson takes over the full time QB duties from Drew Brees - the guy is 3/3 47yds and 3 TOUCHDOWNS for 158.3 passer rating!

That is a TD for EVERY pass he makes - how have the coaches not spotted this before?

NM

I.C. Lights
11-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Here's some logic for you then..
Randle El's career passing totals in the NFL are 12 of 14 for 112 yards, two touchdowns and a 139.6 passer rating.

Ah, but this is the same type of logic that you called ridiculous a few posts back - generalizing from a small data sample. Anyway, it definitely works in your favor this time.

I just disagree that "maverick antics" can't play a significant part in El's, or any QB's performance. The QB position requires a lot of judgment and quick decisions and these decisions are even harder to make when the QB is pressured. Any player who is already susceptible to questionable judgment will be even more susceptible at QB.

Now, if we could control and pre-plan every play, then I would agree with you, but it's the reaction under pressure that concerns me.

It would be fun to see though. I definitely agree with you on that.

I.C. Lights
11-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Im over at the the San Diego forum suggesting that LaDainian Tomlinson takes over the full time QB duties from Drew Brees - the guy is 3/3 47yds and 3 TOUCHDOWNS for 158.3 passer rating!

That is a TD for EVERY pass he makes - how have the coaches not spotted this before?

NM

:grin:

tony hipchest
11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
knowing randel els dream of being a qb and how cowher operates im willing to bet el knows the playbook well enough to run it. i think he would have to prove it to cowher before the coach would even list him as emergency qb and #3 at some times. but if this situation comes around in a playoff game you probably dont wanna start a wr as qb. we have a #2 so let tommy play and maybe experiment with alot more gadget plays. line up el at qb 10-15 times, even just to han doff. we should win anyways and if it works really well it will give aLOt of teams plenty to think about. plus it wouldnt damage the psyche of maddox, and it would give el alot of confidence.

Blitzburgh55
11-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Randle EL may get 3 or 4 snaps in the game but they named maddox the starter

I.C. Lights
11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
It'll be cool if he gets in on a few plays and surprises the Ratbirds, but I think it's wise to go with Tommy for the whole game. I may, of course, be eating my words along with my Turkey and Cranberry sauce this Thanksgiving!

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I think he would honestly put us in a better position to win. Plus he is probably a better QB than WR. Starting him for this game would cause national attention and excitement. I think it would be really cool.

24seven
11-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm almost betting there going to be putting him in like they did Kordell at the beginning when Slash was coming about.. It will be nice to mix it up a little more and throw the D off with a little snappage to EL and run to the corners or fake the run and pass.. There's so many options with a guy like Antwaan just cause he's so fast and versitile. I hope to God Maddox relinquishes himself and has a good game but knowing that his previous performances have been sluggish, I'm sure the OC will be turning to some trick plays which is what I have grown to love about the Steelers.. They always seem to pull some rabbit out there ass and try some trickyass shiznit.. Look for this come Sunday as I guarantee ARE will be getting a few snaps as well.....

SEMP
11-18-2005, 11:52 PM
What is it ? Sounds like alot of you guys miss kordell.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Nobody here misses Kordell.. I can pretty much say that with confidence.. but using El in a slash type role on a regular basis could be something else to add to our arsenal on offense.

24seven
11-19-2005, 11:12 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo doubt!! don't get me wrong.. I ain't wishin for KS to come back to town.. no friggin way!!!!!!! But "Slash" was the bomb until he turned full time qb and if we played it smart with ARE we would gain our unpredictability again..Teams almost know were runnin on 1st and 2nd and passin on 3rd and I think that's why we see alot of 4 and outs.. Bringing back some of that trick play action would throw alot of people off and it could be just the spark we need....

pitt
11-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Actually I DO miss Kordell. You may not of liked him as a QB, but you got to admit it was fun to see Slash.

BB2W
11-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Actually I DO miss Kordell. You may not of liked him as a QB, but you got to admit it was fun to see Slash.
I was a big Kordell fan... I always thought he would pull it together, but he never did. :redface:

clevestinks
11-20-2005, 07:54 AM
I was a big Kordell fan... I always thought he would pull it together, but he never did. :redface:

I have to agree. But then again I root for everyone in a Black and Gold uniform, Hell I almsot rooted for Iowa:busted: