PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will be the next Steelers "mouth"?

Edman
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
You know, the talkative defensive player. Like Joey Porter. Silverback doesn't talk, so I don't think it will be him.

Tony Smith has a mouth, but he hasn't been much impact... yet. I'd like to toss in a nomination for rookie Bruce Davis as well. He heard he likes to shoot off too.

TackleMeBen
06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
do we really need one?? we shouldnt be running our mouths but showing our skill on the field when we are kicking the other teams butts.

The Duke
06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Bruce Davis seems like porter in lots of aspects, and trash talk apparently is one of them

not this season, but in the next couple of years we'll hear him talk. I just hope he backs it up on the field.

millwalldavey
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
The only noise I really wanna hear is sounds of skull breaking!

tony hipchest
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
The only noise I really wanna hear is sounds of skull breaking!

definitely. hampton, foote, and farrior can hold their own. the steelers dont need a "new" mouth.

Preacher
06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Personally...

I think complete silence is more intimidating.

Godfather
06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't think there will be one as vocal as Peezy. Tomlin doesn't care for trash talking.

Preacher
06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know...

Listen to Cowher...

BTW..."They Shot Me In Denver" :rofl:

gpOG9K02F_g

Dodt
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
we don't need a mouth we need a guy that will make quarterbacks piss themselves when he's on the field.

19ward86
06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Mendenhall seems pretty immature so i would guess that he will try to be a mouth.

GBMelBlount
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Personally, I'd like to see someone take over both on and off the field.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Mendenhall seems pretty immature so i would guess that he will try to be a mouth.

Where do you get that idea?

Oh, and I would much rather us do our talking on the field of play. Let our play do all the talking.

However, Lamar Woodley can talk some trash. I don't think he'll ever be as vocal as Porter was, but I can definatly see him getting into the heads of linemen and quarterbacks throughout a game.

I miss Porter, the guy was intense and funny as hell. He talked his talk, and for the most part he backed it up on the field. I hope that when he's ready to retire, he signs a one-day deal with the Steelers so he can retire as one.

tony hipchest
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I hope that when he's ready to retire, he signs a one-day deal with the Steelers so he can retire as one.
i dont think the steelers even did that with greats like franco, webster, or woodson, let alone all the others who wore the bng

Steelman16
06-26-2008, 01:18 AM
If we were still waiting to play that Pats* game last year, I'd say Anthony Smith...but after that complete embarrasment, I'd wager he'll be a little more cautious about using his trap like that...

Bruce Davis, from what I heard, talks a pretty mean game...but he produced too, so it evens out. I think Woodley talks too, but he's not really a "media talker" like Peezy was.

Personally, I agree with Preacher. Silence is a powerful weapon.

Preacher
06-26-2008, 02:06 AM

Why? Because he had an issue with his college coach?

go watch the video of him on NFL.com. Your opinion will probably change. He is actually one of the more mature ones I think.

fansince'76
06-26-2008, 02:09 AM

Probably from an idiotic PFT article that completely misrepresented a few facts and blew the entire story of proportion, I'm guessing.

Preacher
06-26-2008, 02:13 AM

Probably from an idiotic PFT article that completely misrepresented a few facts and blew the entire story of proportion, I'm guessing.

And of course our Steelers rep. for drafting immature me-first players.

Galax Steeler
06-26-2008, 03:56 AM
I just want to see the team go out and play football I am sure that there will be a few players talking but they wont have one like Porter.

DACEB
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Tomlin doesn't care for trash talking.

I don't believe that to be true. Tomlin admitted himself that he was a huge trash talker in college. I think Tomlin likes the team to be brash and c0cky, with a bullish attitude.

We definetly have our share of talkers. Ward, Colon, Taylor, Woodley and Smith. I don't mind that the defense has that type of aggressive attitude. Intimidation is a factor, even in the NFL, I say use it if you can. But you must bring it every week gentlemen.

memphissteelergirl
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Maybe Davis will be in another year if he earns himself a spot, but I agree with most here...do your talking on the field.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I remember reading after a game he played against someone when he was at Michigan, Woodley really got into the head of the tackle that was trying to block him, and the QB that was getting demolished.

It was as simple as "this is what it's gonna be all day", but it seemed to really get into their heads as the game went on.

Rotorhead
06-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Unfortunatly, I think it will be Anthony "Guarantee" Smith, and the more big hits he puts on ppl, the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterier he will get. Fine by me as long as he backs it up on the field.

:Wow, c oc kie r is profanity?:

TackleMeBen
06-26-2008, 10:11 AM
I remember reading after a game he played against someone when he was at Michigan, Woodley really got into the head of the tackle that was trying to block him, and the QB that was getting demolished.

It was as simple as "this is what it's gonna be all day", but it seemed to really get into their heads as the game went on.
woodley was a bad dude when he played here at michigan:thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
How about Health Miller :toofunny:

Being serious, I'd like to see Woodley or Davis develope into a monster player and QB assassin.... and the talk can come with it....

TackleMeBen
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
How about Health Miller :toofunny:

Being serious, I'd like to see Woodley or Davis develope into a monster player and QB assassin.... and the talk can come with it....
MIller.. i dont know.. he seems to soft spoken to be a 'mouth'

Steeldude
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
You know, the talkative defensive player. Like Joey Porter. Silverback doesn't talk, so I don't think it will be him.

Tony Smith has a mouth, but he hasn't been much impact... yet. I'd like to toss in a nomination for rookie Bruce Davis as well. He heard he likes to shoot off too.

no one. porter's mouth was a constant embarrassment to the team.

i would rather have a cerebral leader who leads by example ala lambert.

Steeldude
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Tomlin admitted himself that he was a huge trash talker in college. I think Tomlin likes the team to be brash and c0cky, with a bullish attitude.

that could explain the team's lack of discipline when he took over.

anyone remember the countless celebration penalties and so forth?

personally, i would rather have a team use their skills and teamwork to win games, not their dance moves and big mouths. profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery players are too easily rattled and distracted, IMO.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking that it will be either Davis or Woodley.

vasteeler
06-26-2008, 10:44 AM

i agree completly at times it was very embarrasing

The_WARDen
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
How about no one! Just shut up and let your play be the "mouth"..

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
You will see Woodley evolve into the defensive leader of the team.....guaranteed.

The good thing is that he doesnt talk junk like Porter, but more like Farrior. Solid player, lets his actions do most of the talking, but will add a little with his mouth.

fansince'76
06-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Agreed - always hated that crap. Just shut up and play.

Dino 6 Rings
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Big Ben is the Mouth of the team. Saying we could win the Superbowl. That's all he needs to say. We SHOULD win it. We have the talent and the coaching and the will to do so, now go get my trophy and then talk about how having 6 is better than having 5 all off season in 09.

DACEB
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
You will see Woodley evolve into the defensive leader of the team.....guaranteed.

Agreed! This guy is the real deal. I'm really liking what I've been hearing about Mundy also. Both of these guys, who are close friends from Mich, have high football IQs. I know Mundy hasn't proven squat yet, but I'll place my bet on both!

Preacher
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
that could explain the team's lack of discipline when he took over.

anyone remember the countless celebration penalties and so forth?

personally, i would rather have a team use their skills and teamwork to win games, not their dance moves and big mouths. profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery players are too easily rattled and distracted, IMO.

That was actually two years ago under Cowher.

He came out and said it wouldn't happen again.. and it did. over and over.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06300/733403-66.stm

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Agreed! This guy is the real deal. I'm really liking what I've been hearing about Mundy also. Both of these guys, who are close friends from Mich, have high football IQs. I know Mundy hasn't proven squat yet, but I'll place my bet on both!

I hope Mundy makes the team too. Would be nice to have another safety that can contribute like Mike Logan used to. I still like Anthony Smith, but think he is a guy with a SS mentality playing FS.

smithessmokin
06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
lamarr woodley reportedly was showing a little bit of a "mouth" during the OTAs. i would be perfectly fine if woodley had a smaller "mouth" than porter did.

TackleMeBen
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Big Ben is the Mouth of the team. Saying we could win the Superbowl. That's all he needs to say. We SHOULD win it. We have the talent and the coaching and the will to do so, now go get my trophy and then talk about how having 6 is better than having 5 all off season in 09.

but he also has the problem of sticking his foot in his mouth too.. i cringe everytime i see a mic in front of ben...

smithessmokin
06-26-2008, 06:04 PM
but he also has the problem of sticking his foot in his mouth too.. i cringe everytime i see a mic in front of ben...

if you are referring to the hines ward incident/wanting a tall WR, i believe that was overblown. ben has never complained about the coaching(until cowher was gone anyways), arians playcalling(even though i bet he didnt want to a QB sweep on 3rd and 6), or anything. he has been fine in front of the cameras. he is none issue to say something stupid. however, i wouldnt criticize him if he complains about the OL if our line doesnt improve from last year. he needs to be vocal if he wants better protection, but only if there isnt any improvement.

TackleMeBen
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
if you are referring to the hines ward incident/wanting a tall WR, i believe that was overblown. ben has never complained about the coaching(until cowher was gone anyways), arians playcalling(even though i bet he didnt want to a QB sweep on 3rd and 6), or anything. he has been fine in front of the cameras. he is none issue to say something stupid. however, i wouldnt criticize him if he complains about the OL if our line doesnt improve from last year. he needs to be vocal if he wants better protection, but only if there isnt any improvement.
no i wasnt referring to that.. i was referring to a comment he made when asked about the new coach to the old coach and he said 'i dont respond well to yelling.' i nearly fell out of my chair laughing saying no he didnt just say that. i do agree that there were times last year that he should have pulled a peyton manning and throw the oline under the bus but he didnt and took the blame for it..

jjpro11
06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
i think the thread topic is more about who is the next lloyd/porter rather than mouth.

since the 90s with greg lloyd, we have had an intimidating vocal leader on defense. once lloyd left, porter came shortly after. so as steelers fans, we are used to seeing an imposing figure on defense.. yes, porter said a lot of stupid shit, but he was intimidating when he was in his prime. lloyd was even more intimidating, but less of a talker than porter. but they were both built out of the same mold in that they wanted to humiliate their opponent in anyway they possibly could.

i dont know who we have that can best emulate those 2 players' styles.. i dont know enough about bruce davis to comment on him. woodley has a chance based on what i have seen from him so far. right now though, our most intimidating player on defense is james harrison. but he is as quiet as a mouse and just likes to punish his opponents physically.

Boomerang
06-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Probably Woodley or Big Ben.

The_WARDen
06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
no i wasnt referring to that.. i was referring to a comment he made when asked about the new coach to the old coach and he said 'i dont respond well to yelling.' i nearly fell out of my chair laughing saying no he didnt just say that. i do agree that there were times last year that he should have pulled a peyton manning and throw the oline under the bus but he didnt and took the blame for it..

maybe he should pull a Peyton Manning...Peyton rarely gets touched so his Oline must respond to getting called out.

:coffee:

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 08:35 AM
maybe he should pull a Peyton Manning...Peyton rarely gets touched so his Oline must respond to getting called out.

:coffee:
now that is a good theory. maybe he should call them out. he plenty of opportunity to do it last season.:thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

The Health Miller part was a joke .... hence the laughing Smilee beside....

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
The Health Miller part was a joke .... hence the laughing Smilee beside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=408768#post408768)

but you know what they say... those that dont speak too much are the ones that can get your attn and make you listen.

St33lersguy
06-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Hasn't Anthony Smith already started to establish himself as the next Mr. Mouth

smithessmokin
06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
i think the thread topic is more about who is the next lloyd/porter rather than mouth.

since the 90s with greg lloyd, we have had an intimidating vocal leader on defense. once lloyd left, porter came shortly after. so as steelers fans, we are used to seeing an imposing figure on defense.. yes, porter said a lot of stupid shit, but he was intimidating when he was in his prime. lloyd was even more intimidating, but less of a talker than porter. but they were both built out of the same mold in that they wanted to humiliate their opponent in anyway they possibly could.

i dont know who we have that can best emulate those 2 players' styles.. i dont know enough about bruce davis to comment on him. woodley has a chance based on what i have seen from him so far. right now though, our most intimidating player on defense is james harrison. but he is as quiet as a mouse and just likes to punish his opponents physically.

i mean, he is nicknamed "silverback" along with "the gorilla". now, he is the most intimidating player on the roster.

faneca05
06-28-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think we need a "mouth" as much as we need someone to bring a swagger and attitude to our defense

ace man 21
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
do we need one i mean really it was fun to watch joey trash talk but that isn't a key to winning

ChronoCross
06-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Hasn't Anthony Smith already started to establish himself as the next Mr. Mouth

Exactly..

Elvis
06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
do we really need one?? we shouldnt be running our mouths but showing our skill on the field when we are kicking the other teams butts.
:applaudit:
I agree with yours here honey the most... I couldnt have said it better myself!!

Haiku_Dirtt
06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Personally...

I think complete silence is more intimidating.

Always. Keeps people guessing.

Did anyone ever guess what Joey thought?