PDA

View Full Version : Bush lifts sanctions, may remove N. Korea from terror blacklist

tony hipchest
06-26-2008, 03:29 PM
while there are questions whether we will be bombing iran in the coming months, it looks like we wont be attacking north korea any time soon. i guess they will no longer be part of "The Axis of EVIL"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_nkorea

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Thursday lifted trade sanctions against North Korea and moved to remove it from the U.S. terrorism blacklist, a remarkable turnaround in policy toward the communist regime he once branded as part of an "axis of evil."

The announcement at the White House came after North Korea handed over a long-awaited accounting of its nuclear work to Chinese officials on Thursday, fulfilling a key step in the denuclearization process.

Bush called the declaration a positive step along a long road to get the nation to give up its nuclear weapons.

however...

Conservative Republicans once Bush's closest allies in efforts to confront North Korea's nuclear aspirations came out strongly against his decision to remove the regime from the terrorist list.

anyways, thank bill richardson (V.P. in '08) :usa: for doing his part to keep us safe from terrorists. while its not much, and doesnt eliminate nuclear threats, its nice to finally see some of the fruits of his labor without missles flying or an actual invasion. (ive been waiting to hear something on this for about a month. i think the koreans missed a june 6 deadline.:noidea:)

richardsons trip to n. korea-
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16226

Godfather
06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, you...you can't get fooled again.

revefsreleets
06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
This happened under Bush's watch, and he did take a pretty hard line against that crazy little effer running that shithole of a country. And they did open up and let the press in to witness the dismantling process, so it's legit.

SteelersMongol
06-26-2008, 09:46 PM
US rewards to North Korea still only symbolic

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - The North Korean people are told to remain on constant vigil against American attack, and that the food shortages and constant blackouts they suffer are caused by U.S. sanctions.

Better relations with Washington, signaled by the latest progress in their nuclear standoff, could eventually lead to an improvement in the dire economic situation for the country's 23 million people. But with many steps to go in North Korea's disarmament process, analysts say that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

The United States said Thursday it would lift key trade sanctions against the North and remove it from a U.S. terrorism blacklist as a reward for the communist government submitting a list of its nuclear programs.

The concessions have been among North Korea's coveted goals on the way to its No. 1 foreign policy objective: full diplomatic ties with Washington.

"North Korea is likely to use the rapid progress as propaganda to its people, saying: 'We won a diplomatic victory,'" said Kim Yong-hyun, a North Korea expert at Seoul's Dongguk University. "That would give North Korean people expectations for a better life."

The North's removal from the terror list, which will happen 45 days later, would theoretically clear the way for the impoverished nation to seek low-interest development loans from U.S.-controlled international lenders, such as the International Monetary Fund ...

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080626/D91HVC5G0.html

Well, even it's only symbolic let's just look at the bright side & hope 4 better future.

revefsreleets
06-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, again, Kim Jong il is the one of the craziest people to ever rule a country, so what can you expect but continued craziness?

Preacher
06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
You know..

a FAIR rendering of the Bush years in international relations would give him a lot of credit for Korea and Libya, mark him as neutral in the Israeli/Palestinian issues... like just about every other president...

Some hard questions have to be asked about Iraq... but the final assessment has to be held in abeyance for a few years.

People need to remember... everyone "hated" the US when Reagan was president as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I just think its funny that Kim Jong il dresses like Dr. Evil...lol

fansince'76
06-27-2008, 11:07 PM
I just think its funny that Kim Jong il dresses like Dr. Evil...lol

"We'll stop enriching uranium for....$100 BILLION dollars." :chuckle:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 11:09 PM
"We'll stop enriching uranium for....$100 BILLION dollars." :chuckle:

:sofunny:............Good one 76

millwalldavey
06-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I gues they dynamited one of the reactors today in compliance...