PDA

View Full Version : since Obama is going to be our next president...

tony hipchest
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
...its time to focus on the VP candidate that will make him worry the least about a perceived lack of substance.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370405,00.html

(recent richardson appearance on hannity and holmes concerning off shore drilling and an actual energy plan)

RICHARDSON: Well, besides the fact that the oceans are fragile ecosystems, the Energy Information Agency, which is part of the Department of Energy, although it's independent, has basically said that prices, fuel prices won't go down with this action until the year 2030. So there is no effect on prices by this action.

The point that we need to make is that we need a comprehensive bipartisan energy strategy that involves, yes, more drilling in the United States and environmentally sustainable way. Fuel efficiency standards for vehicles, 50 miles per gallon. Energy efficiency by 20 percent, renewable technologies and you know, look at what the Congress did.

They are ready to go ahead the Republican Congress, the Republican president and proceed with opening up drilling, but they can't even extend the solar tax credit and wind credit beyond this year.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/902/eg1.htm

(richardson this week politicing in egypt and israel)

On Monday, Richardson met President Hosni Mubarak, Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul-Gheit and Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa for talks on the potential of improving relations between Washington and Cairo and the rest of the Arab world should Obama enter the White House this year. Officials say Richardson was not short on criticism of US foreign policy on the Middle East during the past eight years of the George Bush administration and that he appreciated Egyptian and other Arab concerns over the situation in Iraq and the fate of the Arab- Israeli struggle. They added, however, that Richardson shared no clear or concrete proposals to remedy the harm done during the Bush years. Richardson was just there to acknowledge the mistakes and to promise the determination to engage in a concerted effort to rectify the situation, particularly in relation to what he qualified as a too-little-too-late intervention by the Bush administration to settle the Palestinian-Israeli problem.

"I believe that the US should have a full-time Middle East [envoy]," Richardson stated in an address given at the invitation of the Egyptian International Economic Forum on Monday evening. According to Richardson, the function of such an envoy will be basic but crucial: secure a day in, day out intervention with the parties, especially on the Israeli-Palestinian front, to facilitate a deal. Without the US being "more aggressive in pushing the parties towards peace", a settlement for the decades-long struggle might remain elusive.

Meanwhile, while in Cairo, Richardson argued that a Middle East peace would not just be about Israel and the Palestinians but would have to include all the other parties, especially Syria. Indeed, according to Richardson's statements on Monday, Syria must be engaged not just to promote a comprehensive peace deal between Arabs and Israelis but also to promote regional stability in general.

To serve the same purpose Richardson also proposed that the US needs to "talk to Iran" despite the positions of its president. Arguing that it would be a security threat to the region and beyond, he still thought that the way to win Iran was to talk with it rather than to go to war against it. The US, he said, could press Russia to exercise more influence on Iran in view of the close ties and cooperation, including nuclear, between Moscow and Tehran. Sanctions, he added, if adhered to at the international level, could also be an option.

Overall, Richardson was arguing the case for Washington to be more dependant on the apparatus of multilateralism, especially the UN and international law, and including the International Court of Justice, to promote its policies. "It is time that the US provides new leadership," he said. He added that this leadership should be inspired by "an ethical new realism that is based less on military and more on diplomacy."

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/stories/2008/06/23/daily12.html

and if anyone thinks he's anti-military-

Gov. Bill Richardson and William C. Anderson, assistant secretary of the U.S. Air Force, agreed this week to move forward with the expansion of Cannon Air Force Base in Clovis.

Richardson worked with the Legislature to secure $5 million for land for Cannon's expansion and to support new missions, following the 2006 military base-closure process that threatened to permanently close the base.

vp or not, atleast hes still doing a great job of trying to bring technology, energy recources to NM and make sure the military presence keeps growing....

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't believe Obama will be our next President, but good luck on Richardson being selected as his VP running mate. I know how much you support the guy. :drink:

GBMelBlount
06-27-2008, 07:21 AM
They are ready to go ahead — the Republican Congress, the Republican president — and proceed with opening up drilling, but they can't even extend the solar tax credit and wind credit beyond this year.

Isn't wind power five times as expensive as compared to using the estimated TRILLION dollars of clean burning coal that we can't touch since Clinton made it off limits as a favor to Riady? I am all for alternatives but when the government wants to subsidize things....we all know who ends up paying for it. Just look at the ethanol fiasco. Plus wind power is fine as long as it's not in sight of Ted Kennedy's summer home and thus polluting his view.

Godfather
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Not so sure Obama wins in November. He has to overcome the following obstacles:

- Florida and Michigan will count.
- Actual elections in every state. No caucuses.
- You can't get fewer votes and still win a state (Texas).

revefsreleets
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
The VP choices will be huge this election. Love him or hate him, Cheney expanded the role of the Veep significantly, and people will pay a lot more attention to the #2 on the ticket then ever before.

WAY too early to call this one. The Dems are gonna get smaked around if they want to play the "flip-fllop" card on McCain, since Obama is doing the ultimate flop, moving himself halfway across the political spectrum and re-casting himself as a centrist/moderate. I'm not sure he'll be able to pull that rabbit out of the hat.

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Remember in 2004, the Gay Marriage ban was on the ballet in 12 states and Bush carried those states because the right wing came out to vote in full force.

The same ban is on the ballot again this year, in California and I think Florida.

Don't go handing the keys to the white house to Obama just yet.

McCain plays the "underdog" role like no candidate has in a very long time. That's how he won the Rep Nomination. Put McCain up against the "world" and he shines. He's horrible out in front in polls, but much better stratching and clawing his way to the top.

rbryan
06-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't think he'll win either. But you're making me nervous now. This country is officially going down the tubes if he does and I don't want any part of it. I've been seriously considering buying land in Costa Rica anyway. I can always move back after he's run out of office.

fansince'76
06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't think he'll win either. But you're making me nervous now. This country is officially going down the tubes if he does and I don't want any part of it. I've been seriously considering buying land in Costa Rica anyway. I can always move back after he's run out of office.

Alec Baldwin, is that you? j/k :chuckle:

Seriously though, I have faith in this country's ability to rise above any presidential administration, no matter how bad or corrupt or incompetent - it survived LBJ, Nixon and Watergate, after all. I won't be voting for Obama, but should he win, I will at least give him a chance.

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Really, the Prez can only due so much, with the Supreme Court making some of its obscene rulings and the Congress making a mess of every piece of legislation that they get their hands on, its hard to just blame the woes or the prosperity of a nation on one guy in an oval office. The idea of moving out doesn't even occur to me...I'll just clutch tighter to my guns and religion if Obama wins.

MACH1
06-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't think Obama will win. I just have this feeling that somewhere along the way he's going to do or say something stupid thats going to sink him. Or maybe another of his fairy tale stories is gonna catch up to him again. :rolleyes:

Atlanta Dan
06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
- You can't get fewer votes and still win a state (Texas).

No, you can only win a general election for President that way:chuckle: All you need to do is get to 271 electoral votes.

In a normal year Obama would be the presumptive loser as the first candidate to break the mold (see - e.g. - Al Smith 1928 back when the electorate still gave a damn what sort of Christian a white male candidate claimed to be).

Being the first non-white male nominee was going to be a short term minus for potential long term gains no matter when it happened and normally might have occurred in a year the other party was presumed to have a lock on the election and other strong candidates did not seek the nomination. But with the GOP brand having been so trashed, the electorate might be pissed off enough to elect Obama.

IMO this election will be like 1980, in which the country had given up on Carter but was not sold on the Gipper until the debate the week before the election, at which point the dam broke. The electorate has questions about whether Obama is up to the job and he needs to answer them.

IMO if Obama wins he will win big.

PisnNapalm
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I will never understand why people are so enamored by Obama. What has this guy done to warrant such attention? He quite litteraly has no track record except to vote "Present, not voting" when he attends voting sessions.

Cripes... The guy can't make up his friggin mind, take a stance on things and vote?

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/votes/

He voted to continue funding the war he swears he's going to end. Wait what?
Months ago he said the D.C. gun ban was constitutional. The Supreme Court now says it's not. An idiot can see that the gun ban is unconstitutional, and yet Obama disagreed.

He will say whatever he thinks will get him the votes. If later it's proven wrong, he'll backtrack and make excuses to cover his ass.

Bah....

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
He will say whatever he thinks will get him the votes. If later it's proven wrong, he'll backtrack and make excuses to cover his ass.

but that is most politicans now.

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Seriously though, I have faith in this country's ability to rise above any presidential administration, no matter how bad or corrupt or incompetent - it survived LBJ, Nixon and Watergate, after all. I won't be voting for Obama, but should he win, I will at least give him a chance.

Spoken like the true gentleman and optimist you are. :drink:

GWB has made his share of fubars, but the one constant has been the ability to keep this country safe. He also united a country who was grieving after the horrors of 911, which I will always admire and respect him for - that wasn't an easy task. I can't say in good conscience that I believe this country will remain safe if Obama is elected and I most definitely do not believe he has the cahoonans to keep this country united in the event of another terrorist attack.

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2008, 03:45 PM
McCain is not GOP (As I proved earlier) he is a Moderate, which may be just enough to get him attention from those in the middle that hesitate to vote for Obama. Obama is far far left, that will get a lot of the far right out to vote against him, and hold their nose while they vote McCain.

Also, Obama can not debate effectively. He is great at speeches, but when it comes to actually debate, it is not his strongest point. He will struggle against McCain and if there is blood in the water during a debate, McCain and his 30 years or so in Congress debating issues is going to eat Obama for lunch and make him look like the younger immature statesman that he truly is.

Speeches are great, having no plans, and no ideas and no skill at debate, is entirely different.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
either way, this is going to be one historical election.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
How the hell can I expect Obama to make a final desicion on an important bill that gets through Congress and onto his desk...or to make other important desicions that the President must make...when he can't even vote when Congress holds their voting sessions?

Barack "Present, Not Voting" Obama....no President of mine.

Preacher
06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
What bothers me the MOST....

Is people talking to foriegn govts. about what WILL happen IF someone gets elected...

It cuts the knees out from the current president. I don't care WHO the current president is.

If Bush did it while campaigning, he was WRONG.

Until there is a president elect, no candidate or candidate functionary should be talking to foreign heads of state about future foreign policy.

Atlanta Dan
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
How the hell can I expect Obama to make a final desicion on an important bill that gets through Congress and onto his desk...or to make other important desicions that the President must make...when he can't even vote when Congress holds their voting sessions?

Barack "Present, Not Voting" Obama....no President of mine.

Care to try another line of argument?

110th Congress / Senate / Members who missed votes

John McCain
369 votes missed (61.5%), 231 votes cast

Barack Obama
261 votes missed (43.5%), 339 votes cast

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

Preacher
06-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Care to try another line of argument?

110th Congress / Senate / Members who missed votes

John McCain
369 votes missed (61.5%), 231 votes cast

Barack Obama
261 votes missed (43.5%), 339 votes cast

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

Sure...

how about votes cast in a lifetime?

I think McCain has enough votes cast that we can determine where he stands... Does Obama?

That is the point...

Sad thing is....

Where is Reagan or JFK when we really need them?????

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Sure...

I think McCain has enough votes cast that we can determine where he stands... Does Obama?

That is the point...

Sad thing is....

Ain't that the truth.

Not to mention, is a missed vote not being there when the voting takes place? Is it being there, but deciding not to vote on the issue? Is it both?

If your not going to vote on the issues that day, then why show up?

Atlanta Dan
06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Sure...

That is the point...

Sad thing is....

Nice try to change the subject again - my post was in response to the claim Obama was shirking his public duty by not voting in the Senate, to which I cited missed votes this session in response

As for McCain, it is no slam dunk claim that we know what McCain stands for (as George Will noted today in a column to which i linked and will link again ) - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062603651.html

Mccain's positions this election cycle on a number of issues contradict positions he took earlier this decade when perhaps he thought his Presidential aspirations had been put to rest

And why exactly do you believe JFK would be the answer to our prayers ? - if ever anyone ever benefited from the Daley machine in its full glory (an issue you apparently regard as yet another deal breaker for someone seeking the Presidency) it was Kennedy in the 1960 election.

Preacher
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Nice try to change the subject again - my post was in response to the claim Obama was shirking his public duty by not voting in the Senate, to which I cited missed votes this session in response

As for McCain, it is no slam dunk claim that we know what McCain stands for (as George Will noted today in a column to which i linked and will link again ) - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062603651.html

Mccain's positions this election cycle on a number of issues contradict positions he took earlier this decade when perhaps he thought his Presidential aspirations had been put to rest

And why exactly do you believe JFK would be the answer to our prayers ? - if ever anyone ever benefited from the Daley machine in its full glory (an issue you apparently regard as yet another deal breaker for someone seeking the Presidency) it was Kennedy in the 1960 election.

The daly machine basically handed the elections to JFK in 1960. However, JFK, Reagan, FDR, TR, all had central core convictions which the seemed to 1. Not be afraid to put out there and 2. governed by.

I doubt EITHER of these candidates have that...

Matter of fact... Bush 41 was the last president that did.

As much as I dislike the PRESIDENT Jimmy Carter (I think he is a train-wreck now, but that is a different debate), I greatly respect his ability to hold to his convictions. Ford seemed to do the same. Nixon.. :chuckle: Well, he did, but his conviction was "me first."

I picked JFK because he ran to the right of Nixon on two or three VERY important issues, and to the left of Nixon on others. he didn't waver on those issues either.

Atlanta Dan
06-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I hate to change topics, but what exactly (besides giving great speeches and getting assassinated) did JFK do during his time as Pres?

No big fan of JFK, but he deserves credit for negotiating a resolution to the Cuban missile crisis without a nuclear war occurring

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/books/review/Holbrooke-t.html?scp=1&sq=june+22+2008&st=nyt

Although arguably if Kennedy had not botched the Bay of Pigs invasion the Soviets might not have thought they could get away with putting missiles in Cuba in the first place

He also implemented a major tax cut

http://www.slate.com/id/2093947/

Godfather
06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
I will never understand why people are so enamored by Obama. What has this guy done to warrant such attention?

Bah....

Well, he IS charismatic and gives good speeches. Plus. one he started rolling people jumped on the bandwagon.

stillers4me
06-28-2008, 09:30 PM
No big fan of JFK, but he deserves credit for negotiating a resolution to the Cuban missile crisis without a nuclear war occurring

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/books/review/Holbrooke-t.html?scp=1&sq=june+22+2008&st=nyt

Although arguably if Kennedy had not botched the Bay of Pigs invasion the Soviets might not have thought they could get away with putting missiles in Cuba in the first place

He also implemented a major tax cut

http://www.slate.com/id/2093947/

Note the phrase "tax cut".

Atlanta Dan
06-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Note the phrase "tax cut".

At least Obama pays his taxes

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143775/

I guess not paying your taxes is one way to cut them.:sofunny:

Preacher
06-28-2008, 11:28 PM
At least Obama pays his taxes

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143775/

I guess not paying your taxes is one way to cut them.:sofunny:

Ahhh..

the ugly head of politics...

a bill that probably an account manager or property manager forgot to pay.

If ANYONE thinks she LITERALLY writes the checks...

but of course, in this political season... any slime will do right?

(Directed at the article...not at you AD).

Atlanta Dan
06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Ahhh..

the ugly head of politics...

a bill that probably an account manager or property manager forgot to pay.

If ANYONE thinks she LITERALLY writes the checks...

but of course, in this political season... any slime will do right?

(Directed at the article...not at you AD).

I agree but if this happened to Obama it would have a flashing red light headline on Drudge and Fox News would be leading with it

My bet is a Dem operative leaked it to Newsweek - GOP is dealing with a much more aggressive opponent this go round

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not going to hold anbsent ballots against two dudes running for president while they are running for President.

I did think it was interesting that in the 109th, McCain missed only 9%, and Obama only 1.6%. I can't find it, but I'm sure that Obama's 1.6% does NOT include all the times he voted present.