PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Trying To Trade Davenport

Elvis
06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
According to NFL.com this is what they wrote..

Posted: 1 hours 43 minutes ago
Steelers looking to trade RB Davenport

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Steelers are looking to trade running back Najeh Davenport (http://www.nfl.com/players/najehdavenport/profile?id=DAV005111) and are calling teams to gauge interest in a trade, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.
Davenport played in 15 games -- starting one -- for the Steelers in 2007, scoring five touchdowns while rushing for 499 yards. Davenport has played two seasons for the Steelers after spending the first four years of his career in Green Bay

xXTheSteelKingsXx
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I assume that he is going to get cut anyway. so if we can get any value out of him that would be nice.

43Hitman
06-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Better idea than just cutting him. Like they did with Porter.

The Duke
06-27-2008, 03:01 PM
about time

trade or not, he's most likely not in pittsburgh by september

so what can they get for him, a sixth? seventh?

rbryan
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Does anyone know how long he's signed for and at what number?

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
so what can they get for him, a sixth? seventh?

A roll of

http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/toiletpaper.jpg

I liked Najeh, but it is clear his services will no longer be needed by the Steelers, especially with the Mendenhall pick. Best wishes to Pooper! :drink:

fansince'76
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know how long he's signed for and at what number?

1 year remaining (2008) for $1 mil on a 2-year, $2 mil contract:

(March 2, 2007 )

The Steelers signed running back Najeh Davenport to a two-year, $2 million contract Thursday, the same day they released third-down back Verron Haynes.
Davenport, who rushed for 221 yards on 60 carries and one touchdown in 2006, would have become an unrestricted free agent on Friday. The Steelers will pay him $595,000 this year and $1 million next year, with a $405,000 signing bonus.

The Steelers signed Davenport to a one-year contract after their first game last season when Green Bay released him. Davenport became Willie Parker's backup after Haynes was lost to an injury suffered Oct. 29 at Oakland.

Steelers Sign Davenport (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_495717.html)

Elvis
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
The guy did whatever the Steelers asked him to do the last 2 years and I appreciate what he did, but the writing is all over the wall for Najeh.
:hatsoff:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think he's going to get traded. Everyone knows that he's not going to be a Steeler for the 2008 season, so why give somthing up when you can get him for nothing?

It's the same reason we simply cut Porter. Everyone knew it was going to happen, therefore we weren't going to get any offers.

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think he's going to get traded. Everyone knows that he's not going to be a Steeler for the 2008 season, so why give somthing up when you can get him for nothing?

It's the same reason we simply cut Porter. Everyone knew it was going to happen, therefore we weren't going to get any offers.

Unless you really want him or need him for depth at your RB position and don't want to risk another team jumping at him the second he hits the free agency market. He'd come a lot cheaper than an Alexander would and he is a very good role player that is willing to take on the 2nd back position and play special teams.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
A roll of

http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/toiletpaper.jpg

I liked Najeh, but it is clear his services will no longer be needed by the Steelers, especially with the Mendenhall pick. Best wishes to Pooper! :drink:

dont leave any :poop: behind on your way out. thanks for your services when willie went down.:thumbsup:

43Hitman
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
dont leave any :poop: behind on your way out. thanks for your services when willie went down.:thumbsup:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

rbryan
06-27-2008, 03:57 PM
1 year remaining (2008) for $1 mil on a 2-year, $2 mil contract:

Steelers Sign Davenport (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_495717.html)

Thats a relatively low number for a decent RB. I thinks theres a good chance we get 6th or 7th. In todays market he could actually command a good bit more than 1 mill as a FA regardless of what some here think of him.

MACH1
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe the bungholes will pick him up. Or the ratturds just to pick his brain ala bsp.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe the bungholes will pick him up. Or the ratturds just to pick his brain ala bsp.
or the pats.. since they cant use videotape anymore

rbryan
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
If Ray Ray had anything to with it the Ratbirds would sign him to stupid money long term seeing how he's from da U. Whatever you do don't let him go there.

rbryan
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Bellichick is still using tape, he just uses better equip now so they can film from the press box instead of having the guy stand right next to the coaches.

HughC
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
It's now being reported that Davenport has been cut (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/27/steelers-dump-davenport/).

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM
If Ray Ray had anything to with it the Ratbirds would sign him to stupid money long term seeing how he's from da U. Whatever you do don't let him go there.
i dont know if i would trust ray ray

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/oray.jpg

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
It's now being reported that Davenport has been cut (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/27/steelers-dump-davenport/).
That was fast. Maybe they took a laxative… :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm sure no one in the NFL is suprised about this cut after his performance against the Jaquars in the playoffs combined with our aquiring Moore in the FA Market and then drafting Mendenhall.

rbryan
06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
So much for my insightful ponderance of getting a late rd pick for him....lol

missedgehead
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, I just read that they cut him, at least according to PFT , they cut him.

Hannity_on_Holmes
06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
in addition to the afforementioned bungles
i could see dookie showin up in detroit or even tennesee.

Preacher
06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Well..

Thanks for the effort and the work...

Take care Dookie...

and take it easy on your woman too.

stillers4me
06-27-2008, 05:16 PM
For some reason, I liked the Dookster. But, we no longer require his services, the Steelers have definitely upgraded. Thanks, and Good luck, Najeh!

Steelman16
06-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Cya Dookie, t'was fun for a time. Wish ya luck on yer new team.

:tt02:

slashsteel
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Steelers flushed a Dookie. I have to say I smelled this one coming. (drumroll)

The Duke
06-27-2008, 07:15 PM
well, I'll miss the jokes dookie gave us to talk about, other than that his time in pittsburgh was done

maybe he ends up with the bears....

ace man 21
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
it would be good if we can get any vaule out of the trade

19ward86
06-27-2008, 07:53 PM
i think he was just released.

lilyoder6
06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
oh well.. evryone and there moms knew it was coming.. just the date of it was unsure.. i mean the signing of moore and drafting of rashard should of told dookie he should start packing now.. he was good 4 us when we needed him ti come in and spell willie.. but i hope he does good where ever he goes..

millwalldavey
06-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Shame they couldn't get an equipment bag and some socks out of the deal.

Preacher
06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Shame they couldn't get an equipment bag and some socks out of the deal.

What did they trade for them, a used puck bag? :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
06-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks dookie good luck down the road.

The Duke
06-28-2008, 04:32 AM
so, I guess it's safe to say he got dumped :chuckle:

man, I miss him already

Elvis
06-28-2008, 06:24 AM
looks like the days of Najeh being a Steeler are over, I just want to thank him for the service that he gave us and we all know that he helped our team in every way that they asked him too except at the end of last season he just couldnt get the job done for the steelers running game. We just could not run the ball last year the last 3 or 4 games and that proved brutal to our chances against a very tough and good team from Jacksonville who is built just like the Steelers are.
Good Luck Najeh and God Bless
:hatsoff:

DACEB
06-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Why didn't they cut him June 1st. Doesn't he count toward the cap now, at least half. I believe the cap hit is spread over two seasons. If so, with the situation we're in with the cap, that was not proactive.

steel striker
06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Well I liked Davenport I wish him the best of luck in the future. Atleast the guy tried and, I don't think he said anything stupid. The guy did everything we asked of him plus our line was an issue last year.

DACEB
06-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Why didn't they cut him June 1st. Doesn't he count toward the cap now, at least half. I believe the cap hit is spread over two seasons. If so, with the situation we're in with the cap, that was not proactive.

According to another site, the only cap hit is the signing bonus. That would be about $200K, which would save the team about $1M on the cap.

Steel Buckeye
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Dookie performed fairly well during the almost two seasons that he was here, he wasn't great but he was reliable. Best of luck to him, I'm sure he'll find a new team.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
According to another site, the only cap hit is the signing bonus. That would be about $200K, which would save the team about $1M on the cap.

....and $625,000 in toilet paper.:wink02:

Texasteel
06-28-2008, 04:38 PM

So you think there may be a connection between him getting cut and the teams talks with Bentley? :tap:

nojobny
06-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Steelers cut Davenport after failing to trade running back

PITTSBURGH -- Running back Najeh Davenport was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday after the team couldn't work out a trade for Willie Parker's former backup.

Also released were safety Mike Lorello, long snapper Jared Retkofsky and offensive lineman Doug Legursky.

Davenport rushed for a career-high 499 yards and averaged 4.7 yards per carry last season, but was ineffective as a starter in the Steelers' final two games after Parker broke a leg Dec. 20.

Davenport was held to 25 yards on 16 carries in a 31-29 wild-card playoff loss to Jacksonville after gaining 27 yards on 12 attempts in a season-ending loss at Baltimore.

The Steelers recently drafted running back Rashard Mendenhall on the first round and signed third-down back Mewelde Moore, moves that meant Davenport had little chance of making the team. The team also wanted to keep second-year back Gary Russell.

Davenport played with the Green Bay Packers from 2002-04. He was in the final year of a contract worth $1 million in 2008.

In April, Davenport was acquitted of a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Cleveland Municipal Court. He was accused of slapping and punching the mother of his 5-year-old son at her Cleveland home in October.

Aussie_steeler
06-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Also released were safety Mike Lorello, long snapper Jared Retkofsky and offensive lineman Doug Legursky.

LLT - Sorry to hear that our boy Legursky got cut. We all pimped pretty hard for him this offseason but all to no avail.

Do we read into that they the FO is looking at Bentley or Datish, or that we are just not that good at identifying talent:hunch:

ChronoCross
06-28-2008, 07:46 PM
with the pickup of Moore and 1st round draft pick Mendanhall, everyone knew dookie was gone. This cut has nothing to do with saving cap for some washed up hurt player from the browns.

TackleMeBen
06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
....and $625,000 in toilet paper.:wink02:
leave it to you LLT to come up with that one..lol

no more of this i guess http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/smilies/23_3_75.gif

stillers4me
06-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Steelers Release Four Players, Trim Roster to 82

PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers released four players today, including veteran running back Najeh Davenport, trimming the club’s roster to 82.

Davenport, a six-year veteran, rushed for 499 yards and five touchdowns on 107 carries (4.7 avg.) and caught 18 passes for 184 yards (10.2 avg.) and two scores in 2007. He also returned seven kickoffs for 123 yards (17.6 avg.).

During his two seasons with the Steelers, Davenport rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns on 175 carries (4.4 avg.) and caught 33 passes for 394 yards (11.9 avg.) and three scores. He returned 28 kickoffs for 571 yards (20.4 avg.).

The Steelers also released safety Mike Lorello, first-year long snapper Jared Retkofsky and rookie offensive lineman Doug Legursky. Lorello, who originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2006, spent parts of the past two seasons on Pittsburgh’s practice squad.

All NFL teams must trim their rosters to 80 players prior to the start of training camp.

http://news.steelers.com/article/91448/

lilyoder6
06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
bentley is still a good player... and u have to think that they might of cut him to open up more cap space to sign someone,, b/c other than that y not cut him the day after we drafted rashard??

Steeldude
06-28-2008, 10:44 PM
i would have thought they could have found someone more expendable to cut than legursky.

RB roster is going to be parker, russell, mendenhall, moore and davis. a possibility that one more could be cut. if so, then that would be between moore and davis, IMO.

The Duke
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
well, that's one less lineman that may become a starter

one or more will step up, I'm not losing faith in that. good luck to legursky though

Preacher
06-28-2008, 11:48 PM
If a lineman was cut this early from this team... you know he probably isn't worth picking up anywhere else.. even for camp fodder.

Texasteel
06-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Could Legursky being cut be another sign that they maybe close to signing Bentley.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 07:19 AM
i would have thought they could have found someone more expendable to cut than legursky.

I was thinking the same thing....why not give him a chance to at least learn and get acclimated...you would think that O-line and D-line players would get more of a chance than players like....RB Justine Vincent...or QB Mike Potts.

There must of been something there (or not there) that made him expendable....attitude?...intelligence?...etc.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Where is the poster that statistically broke down how Davenport was a better RB than Parker based upon ypc and a greater amount of positive gains vs. the zero or neg yardage runs???

I guess the Steelers didnt read that stat?

In another note, I guess my hope of Legursky being the diamond in the rough that makes the PS is gone. He coultn't even make it to Latrobe.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Where is the poster that statistically broke down how Davenport was a better RB than Parker based upon ypc and a greater amount of positive gains vs. the zero or neg yardage runs???

In another note, I guess my hope of Legursky being the diamond in the rough that makes the PS is gone. He coultn't even make it to Latrobe.

:sofunny:I rememeber someone making that argument!!!

(...and dont feel bad...I had high hopes for Legursky also)

stillers4me
06-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Anyways.......thanks for the memories, Dook. I really enjoyed that fake punt from Dan Sepulveda!

fansince'76
06-29-2008, 10:50 AM

I don't think Tomlin and Co. considered Davenport's "success" and "DVOA" statistics before they made this move. Imagine that.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24836

Thankfully, Mendenhall was drafted to take the starting RB job. WIllie sucks!

:rolleyes:

stillers4me
06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
The bottom line is that Davenport was an average backup, with and occasional flash of good. The Steelers want, and hopefully have found, much better than that. We now have two RB's, each unique in style to compliment each other. Will we ever see another Bettis? I doubt it. But the combination of thunder and lightening that Parker and Mendenhall bring is making other teams stand up and take notice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't think Tomlin and Co. considered Davenport's "success" and "DVOA" statistics before they made this move. Imagine that.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24836

Thankfully, Mendenhall was drafted to take the starting RB job. WIllie sucks!

:rolleyes:

That was it....the DVOA stats. Thanks!!!

Willie may suck, but he's still no Kordell:wink02:

KeiselPower99
06-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Legursky being cut was a total shock. You would think they would have cut 1 of the qbs or someone else. Hopefully he will be brought back to compete.