PDA

View Full Version : Goodell on rookie pay: 'There's something wrong'

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM
CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said it's "ridiculous" to reward untested rookies with lucrative contracts and wants the issue addressed in contract talks.

"There's something wrong about the system," Goodell said Friday. "The money should go to people who perform."

Goodell referred to Michigan tackle Jake Long (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8778)'s five-year, $57.75 million contract -- with $30 million guaranteed. Long was the first overall draft pick by the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) in April.

now the question is going to be what is going to be done about it??

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said it's "ridiculous" to reward untested rookies with lucrative contracts and wants the issue addressed in contract talks.

"There's something wrong about the system," Goodell said Friday. "The money should go to people who perform."

Goodell referred to Michigan tackle Jake Long (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8778)'s five-year, $57.75 million contract -- with $30 million guaranteed. Long was the first overall draft pick by the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) in April.

now the question is going to be what is going to be done about it??

Well we will soon have a new CBA and I hope that it includes something to keep rookie salaries down. That's the only true way to do it, put it in the Collective Barganing Agreement, otherwise it's collusion.

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
that is true. the new CBA really needs to have something in it regulating rookie salaries.

no offense to jake long. loved watching him play for michigan(go blue!), but when he is getting 30 million in guaranteed money and a superbowl winning qb is only getting what ???? a few more than that.. something is very wrong... they shouldnt be paid on what they did in college but what they do on the nfl level.

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
"There's something wrong about the system," Goodell said Friday.

Oh the irony. :coffee:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/070326_goodell_hmed_6p_h2.jpg

=

http://www.covemountainkennels.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/rattlesnake.jpg

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwww!!! i hate snakes....especially those that are slimey... oh i am must be talking about our beloved commissioner:chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Poor rattlesnake, being compared to a slimy reptile like Goodell.

Glace
06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Maybe the first thing Goodell has said that I can sit back and say "I like the sound of that"

Again, put your money where your mouth is, Mr. Commish

Galax Steeler
06-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Alot of rookies make way to much and I agree that something should be done about it.

rbryan
06-28-2008, 06:56 AM
I can't say I disagree but it's funny how any player who has been in the league for a year or two is all for this now that they "got theres" as a rookie.

Money truly is the root of all evil. So much money yet no one seems satisfied with what they have.

Texasteel
06-28-2008, 12:32 PM
New England must be complaining about it or Goodell would not care.

TackleMeBen
06-28-2008, 01:50 PM
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:that is too funny.

SteelersJW
06-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Rodger Goodell is a good man and is doing his part to set things straight in the NFL. The one thing he really needs to do is fix this rookie salary issue. After seeing both Jake Long and Matt Ryan sign huge deals I really hope their NFL careers are dissapointments because their contracts are bogus.

millwalldavey
06-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Poor rattlesnake, being compared to a slimy reptile like Goodell.

Snakes are not slimy........ but that Godell is

fansince'76
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM

You might have something there - Jerod Mayo is the first top 10 pick they've had in a while (since Seymour went at #6 in '01), and all of sudden rookie salaries are now way out of whack according to Goodell? They've been ridiculously out of whack for YEARS now. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kraft bitched about having to make an unproven rookie one of the highest-paid players on the team to avoid a protracted holdout just because the kid's a top 10 pick.

Steelman16
06-28-2008, 07:54 PM
You might have something there - Jerod Mayo is the first top 10 pick they've had in a while (since Seymour went at #6 in '01), and all of sudden rookie salaries are now way out of whack according to Goodell? They've been ridiculously out of whack for YEARS now. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kraft bitched about having to make an unproven rookie one of the highest-paid players on the team to avoid a protracted holdout just because the kid's a top 10 pick.

You're probably right. Krap definitely has Goodell's "ear...

Rookie contracts are just absurd. For having never played a down of NFL football in his life, Jake Long is livin' it up and making a pile of cash. Same goes for Matt Ryan, and McFadden just to name a few from this year.

I think rookie contracts should have a set limit based upon their round drafted, but not these exorbant sums we have now. I'd even go so far to say league minumum (whatever that is) for the given position.

Something's gotta change, even it's having Krap make a big stink to make Goodell do something about it.

OneForTheToe
06-28-2008, 09:20 PM
What will it take for a rookie salary cap? A revolt by veteran players is what it will take. That is what happened in the NBA when Karl Malone and a few other veterans broke with Michael Jordon and the union over rookie salaries. Of course, that just lead to ridiculous salaries for average veterans.

Godfather
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
What will it take for a rookie salary cap? A revolt by veteran players is what it will take. That is what happened in the NBA when Karl Malone and a few other veterans broke with Michael Jordon and the union over rookie salaries. Of course, that just lead to ridiculous salaries for average veterans.

If Goodell wants to control rookie contracts, and the players want to control rookie contracts, we'll see slotting in the next CBA.

lilyoder6
06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
i can't beleive it took this long to see that the rookies are making way too much money 4 not even playing a down... i mean jake long is making 10 mill + a yr and hasn't played 1 snap and that is more than most players make in 1 yr..

Glace
06-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Personally if it were me running the show, every player would be paid exactly the same, no matter what. Instead of huge contracts, I would have performance bonuses that allow you to rake in the big bucks.

It's not a flawless plan...You'd have to eliminate things like receivers crying that they aren't getting enough passes or RB's who say they need the ball more.....Oh, wait....we have that now....

Only thing I'd want to avoid is hearing broadcasters saying "James Harrison just plowed through the line for a beautiful sack....That's an extra 5 grand for him tonight! Hah Hah Hah!!!"

It's simple. It's fair. Everybody has an opportunity to make their money...and it's added motivation.

9-5
06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Gotta agree with Goddell here, Jake Long hasn't done anything in the league and yet he is one of the highest paid lineman. I mean, sure he only gave up one sack in 2007(sack was made by VG!!!!), and is a prototype franchise LT, but that doesnt mean anything when you get to the NFL.

Preacher
06-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Personally if it were me running the show, every player would be paid exactly the same, no matter what. Instead of huge contracts, I would have performance bonuses that allow you to rake in the big bucks.

It's not a flawless plan...You'd have to eliminate things like receivers crying that they aren't getting enough passes or RB's who say they need the ball more.....Oh, wait....we have that now....

Only thing I'd want to avoid is hearing broadcasters saying "James Harrison just plowed through the line for a beautiful sack....That's an extra 5 grand for him tonight! Hah Hah Hah!!!"

It's simple. It's fair. Everybody has an opportunity to make their money...and it's added motivation.

and sadly, it will drive even more individualism and stats focused football.

I like my buddy's idea of salary cap according to position.

Take too much money, and you have to explain it to the guy you line up next to.

Elvis
06-29-2008, 08:03 AM
:coffee:I agree with alot of the ideas in here, but my idea of fairness all comes down to having a rookie cap. And maybe even having a higher $$$ for varying positions.. like having it like this:

QB's $1.5 Mill. a year for 2 years with an option for a 3rd worth around $2.0 mill.
and
RB's like this ; $1.0 mill. first 3 years and option of $2.5 mill the 4th year.
Just example of the way it could be.. just my opinion but who am I?

lilyoder6
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
i like ur idea but honestly the money won't be that low... it would have to be raised to make evryone happy... and then u would have to have a cap on the signing bonus as well

Haiku_Dirtt
06-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh the irony. :coffee:

Hello. My name is Ben Bernanke. And I just want the American people to know that I have two choices and only two choices.

1) Thermal nuclear war on core global prices or...
2) Chemical warfare on the US housing markets

Just an FYI. Oh. And did I mention that the sport and sport media bubbles do not have immunity from reality either?

I'll leave the rest for the next Congress to really make things worse.

Aloha,
Ben

Haiku_Dirtt
06-29-2008, 12:43 PM

The consequence may be separate unions for each position. And then do each union constitute a 'sub-union' or a galaxy of unions all negotiating with the organizations autonomously. Yuck. Talk about agent fatigue. I would tune out.

At some point don't we all lose touch with what the league is about. Teams. Football.

But thankfully macroeconomic conditions will spare NO ONE. What is still very very unknown is who are the zombies out there that are insolvent. What stadiums are leveraged beyond repair. What ownership groups were snookered into worthless securities.

The globe needed a reality check a few years ago. Now the globe ain't askin'!!!

Glace
06-30-2008, 02:29 AM

Everybody making the same is better for the team. Bonuses for performance may hinge a bit toward the individual. It's a more acceptible balance.

If you had caps based on position, nobody would consider it fair...Say, if I were a lineman, I would be insulted that a WR, RB or QB makes more than me in that system, because the only reason they're on their feet is because I stopped a furious blitz from a linebacker.

I think a performance bonus would be a little harder to sort out for lineman, but it would all need to be fair.

Glace
06-30-2008, 02:32 AM
Heck, maybe take away individual performance bonuses from my grand scheme...

Instead make them all team based. Every TD Ben throws, or Parker/Mendenhall pound into the endzone...the entire offense gets a bonus.

Every sack, INT, fumble recovery, the defense gets a bonus.

They don't even need to be big payouts for bonuses...just a little 'icing on the cake'

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 08:28 AM
It'll end up being somehting like what the NBA has, but a little more complex. A QB should not be capped the same as a DL, even though both could be picked in the same exact draft position: One position is inherently more valuable than the other.

lilyoder6
06-30-2008, 09:04 AM
but u know it won't work that way,, b/c the best will complain that they get paid just as much as the worse player in the league.. i think they should either base it on how many yrs u are in the league.. like if ur under 5 yrs.. ur cap of totally salary should be like 20 mill and so forth 4 ppl w/ more yrs...

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
It should be a sliding scale based upon where you are drafted. Combined with an average salary of what your position is currently being paid.

So if the average RB gets (I have no idea) say 1 mil a year, then as the first drafted RB you get 1 mil a year for 4 years, with the option to renegotiate with your current team in after year 3. The second drafted RB would then get paid less than the 1st drafted RB by a % worked out by the brilliant minds that think all this stuff out, and there you have it. A fair balanced rookie contract solution, that makes sense.

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 12:04 PM
It should be a sliding scale based upon where you are drafted. Combined with an average salary of what your position is currently being paid.

So if the average RB gets (I have no idea) say 1 mil a year, then as the first drafted RB you get 1 mil a year for 4 years, with the option to renegotiate with your current team in after year 3. The second drafted RB would then get paid less than the 1st drafted RB by a % worked out by the brilliant minds that think all this stuff out, and there you have it. A fair balanced rookie contract solution, that makes sense.

i don't think its so much the "salary", but the GUARANTEED signing bonuses. that's what the players and agents are after, and thats what should be limited. i'd also like to see the nfl put a rule into affect ,about renegotiating contracts !!! contact talks should not be permitted until the year before they expire.

rbryan
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not so sure we need a rookie salary cap as much as we need to do away with the preconceived salary scale thats been put in place for rookies. Is somebody holding a gun to the owners head and making them pay out so much to begin with? I don't think so. Theres already a salary cap in place. If you choose to use a huge portion of it on an unproven rookie....knock yourself out. The idea that we have to have a seperate salary cap to protect the league (and the moron owners who choose to pay too much) is silly. Some rookies ARE worth that kind of money. To prevent any player from making what the market will bear is not only unfair but un-American.

TackleMeBen
06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
i don't think its so much the "salary", but the GUARANTEED signing bonuses. that's what the players and agents are after, and thats what should be limited. i'd also like to see the nfl put a rule into affect ,about renegotiating contracts !!! contact talks should not be permitted until the year before they expire.
then plaxico couldnt cry about being under paid

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm not so sure we need a rookie salary cap as much as we need to do away with the preconceived salary scale thats been put in place for rookies. Is somebody holding a gun to the owners head and making them pay out so much to begin with? I don't think so. Theres already a salary cap in place. If you choose to use a huge portion of it on an unproven rookie....knock yourself out. The idea that we have to have a seperate salary cap to protect the league (and the moron owners who choose to pay too much) is silly. Some rookies ARE worth that kind of money. To prevent any player from making what the market will bear is not only unfair but un-American.i understand where your comin from, but look at it this way.......the draft itself , is setup to HELP, the worst teams in the league by letting them choose in the order of suckieness. how is it helping the worst team when they have to fork out a large % of the alotted cap space to a player who may not be able to even make a solid contribution to the team for years, if even at all !!! the players want GUARANTEED money (signing bonus) , but yet the team owners get NO guarantee of production from the player.

rbryan
06-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree that the picking in the top 10 is not the advantage that it was originally intended. I blame the agents and the media for the unwriiten payscale thats been put in place.

So and so pickedt #6 gets x amount because so and so picked at #5 got y....Thats BS IMO. Perception becomes reality because some douchbag on ESPN said so. The "Super Agents" have been in bed with ESPN for years. Why do you think Drew Rosenhaus is on TV so much.

If your owner doesn't want to pay whats expected he's cheap and doesn't want to win.

In the end the rookie salary cap will be the only thing that works to prevent an owner like Al Davis from cripling his franchise for the next 4 years.

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I agree that the picking in the top 10 is not the advantage that it was originally intended. I blame the agents and the media for the unwriiten payscale thats been put in place.

So and so pickedt #6 gets x amount because so and so picked at #5 got y....Thats BS IMO. Perception becomes reality because some douchbag on ESPN said so. The "Super Agents" have been in bed with ESPN for years. Why do you think Drew Rosenhaus is on TV so much.

If your owner doesn't want to pay whats expected he's cheap and doesn't want to win.

In the end the rookie salary cap will be the only thing that works to prevent an owner like Al Davis from cripling his franchise for the next 4 years. i don't think any owner, including crazy Al, is anxious to back the money truck up to a draft pick. that was pretty evident, by the long holdout, of russell. in the end, what are thier options? not pay the ransom, and waste the pick? one only has to look at what happend in the draft this year to see that something needs to be done. miami selected jake long,because he was willing to take less money than the other players they considered.

fansince'76
06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
miami selected jake long,because he was willing to take less money than the other players they considered.

And yet he's still set for life, even if he never plays a down. These kids don't deserve to be made into essentially "lottery winners" just because they were studs in college.

Preacher
06-30-2008, 03:51 PM
And yet he's still set for life, even if he never plays a down. These kids don't deserve to be made into essentially "lottery winners" just because they were studs in college.

Yep.

give them all base salaries with fairly nice bonus numbers... base the base pay on round selected and let the bonus values be a bit more negotiable--though within a certain range.

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
And yet he's still set for life, even if he never plays a down. These kids don't deserve to be made into essentially "lottery winners" just because they were studs in college.yup, bust or not, the phins owe him the30 million signing bonus. well......one day he may have a family,and they gotta be fed.....:popcorn:

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Yep.

give them all base salaries with fairly nice bonus numbers... base the base pay on round selected and let the bonus values be a bit more negotiable--though within a certain range.but its not the base salary thats killin the teams cap space as much as is the bonus money. if the phins decide in 3 yrs that long is a bust,and wants to unload him,thier not on the hook for the full 58 million salary, but they are on the hook for the 30 mill,signing bonus. i think a 10 mill, bonus for a # 1 pick should be more than sufficient.

stlrtruck
07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
i'd also like to see the nfl put a rule into affect ,about renegotiating contracts !!! contact talks should not be permitted until the year before they expire.

Then you have to guarentee the players contract regardless of playing level because right now the owners can cut a guy mid-contract if he's not producing but the players have no option other than to hold out for more money (even if they've just signed a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract - ala TO in philly)

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
anyone hear upshaw's response to the commissioners comment about this..

"the commissioner and I agree on a lot of things," Upshaw pulled out a newspaper clipping that contained Goodell's comments and pointed out there are "some things" on which he and the commissioner disagree.

"I think it's ridiculous that you would make such a comment," Upshaw told the rookies. "We're not in the position to try to take money from anyone. As a union, our job is to make sure you get as much as you're entitled to, as much as that is fair and not be restricted by anything else. We have never agreed to such a system. I don't see us agreeing to such a system in the future.

"In three years, you guys will be asked to make some very, very hard decisions that other players have made before you that will deal with the one issue that seems to be getting a lot of attention right now -- a wage scale for rookies. You don't have one. The group behind you, the next group, will not have one. And the group after that won't have one.

"But we will be in negotiations about those issues. I don't want you to forget that. I also want to remind you that we, at the NFL Players Association, represent you. Roger Goodell represents the 32 owners."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=D517D6E1B25DE318584DFCF0E5F45C7C? id=09000d5d80915657&template=with-video&confirm=true

The Patriot
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
I think all rookies should make $250,000 their first season in the NFL. It's plenty enough to survive on and hopefully they'll think twice before they make it rain in a strip club during the offseason. If a rookie gets a career-ending injury during his first year then he should recieve a large settlement from the NFL based on his draft number that would allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I think all rookies should make $250,000 their first season in the NFL. It's plenty enough to survive on and hopefully they'll think twice before they make it rain in a strip club during the offseason. If a rookie gets a career-ending injury during his first year then he should recieve a large settlement from the NFL based on his draft number that would allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life.
that isnt a bad idea. even if it did come from a pat fan:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
The union has alot of work to do to make sure there are enough happy faces going around. Obviously the league recognizes a problem that needs fixed. Gettin paid 9 million a year as a rookie qb thats unproven is ludacris. All 1st and 2nd rounders should sign a 5 year contract. 3rd and 4th rounders sign a 4 year contract and the rest sign 3 year deals. I think that is pretty standard anyway. Then the right to redo the contract is open after 72 months on rookie deals and when there is 18 months left on all other deals. So for instance x player signs a 2nd contract for 6 yrs on may 2005 then he cant talk about a new deal till Nov 2010.

The Patriot
07-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Let's say a rookie is making $7,000,000 this year. That's not alot by today's standards. If you payed him $100,000 instead that money could be saved for veterans or, preferably, it could be absorbed by a stadium that seats 70,000 fans and we could all theoretically pay up to $100 less for game tickets.

But as you can see I'm not a very good financial planner.

steelreserve
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Of course they need to do something to keep rookie salaries in check. Getting high picks for a few years doesn't even help the bad teams catch up with the competition anymore. It just forces them to play a few hands of high-stakes craps.

Seriously, probably two-thirds of these guys either don't live up to the hype, or bomb out entirely. And then what are you left with in exchange for your Top-5 draft pick? $8 million a year in dead cap money. Oh, and also, while you're sitting on your ass and giving your expensive rookie every possible shot to turn things around, some other team grabs a superstar at the same position the next year.

And man, don't even get me started on how stupid the Jake Long deal is. I thought that before you signed linemen, you were supposed to have a quarterback to protect in the first place.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
And man, don't even get me started on how stupid the Jake Long deal is. I thought that before you signed linemen, you were supposed to have a quarterback to protect in the first place.
they do his BFF chad henne..lol

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
matt ryan's take on this

Matt Ryan isn't apologizing for benefiting from a system that allows top NFL draft picks to receive massive contracts. Even so, he appreciates where Roger Goodell was coming from last week when the commissioner questioned paying millions in guaranteed salary to rookies who have yet to play a down in the league.

"You can also understand the other side of it, the concern of veterans who have been in the league 10, 12 years and proven themselves but not seen the money," Ryan said in a phone interview Tuesday. "I can understand both sides."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8304164/Ryan-respects-Goodell's-point-on-rookie-contracts

stlrtruck
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
With players looking to oust Upshaw I think you'll find the next players rep a little more interested in solidifying things for the older players and eliminating the wasted money on rookies - but you'll also get more benefits for the players and the contracts will be the key issue that helps the players get those benefits.

We'll see who is willing to compromise Players vs. Owners! Let's just hope the fans don't get screwed - AGAIN!

missedgehead
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree with Goodell. WHy should these kids get all this money without having to prove themselves on the field. In life you pay your dues, then you get paid, not the other way around. I bet there are veterans in the league who never see the kind of money that this Ryan kid is getting. WHy should Ryan get a huge ass contract like that and never have taken a hit in the NFL? Goodell is not the only one complaining. Other veterans are complaining also. No way should these kids get these huge contracts without playing a down. No way.

stlrtruck
07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Other veterans are complaining also. No way should these kids get these huge contracts without playing a down. No way.

And that's probably why the players union is looking to find a new leader!!

Steeldude
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
the max rookie salary should be 3 year/3mil with a max signing bonus of 1 mil.

if you cannot live on that then try the CFL.

Other veterans are complaining also. No way should these kids get these huge contracts without playing a down

they say that because they are earning less. would these same veterans being saying this during their rookie season? i doubt it.

9-5
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Except 10-12 years ago, the #1 pick got maybe 7-10 million guarunteed. 5 years ago, Eli Manning got 24 (?) million. It is insane how much rookie salaries are increasing. That would be like a 15 year cashier working his first job making like 20-25 a hour and the manager making 14-17.