PDA

View Full Version : Marshawn Lynch pleads guilty - gets $100 fine

HughC
06-27-2008, 04:33 PM
After weeks of refusing to speak and co-operate in an investigation that sent a woman to the hospital for stitches, Bills' running back Marshawn Lynch pleaded guilty to his hit and run. Remarkably, Lynch was fined a mere $100 for the incident after a six minute hearing. I can't believe how much prosecutors caved in this plea deal.

Marshawn Lynch loses license, fined $100 after admitting he was driving SUV that hit a woman (http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/379992.html)

Marshawn Lynch's complete statement (http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/06/27/12/MX-2700N_20080627_120854.source.prod_affiliate.50.pdf )

Bills running back Marshawn Lynch's actions showed "a reckless disregard of human life or property," an administrative law judge ruled today in revoking Lynch's driver's license and accepting his guilty plea in a May 31 hit-and-run accident.

During an approximately six-minute hearing in the Traffic Violations Bureau downtown, Judge Thomas L. Gagola also fined Lynch the maximum $100 for the traffic infraction of failing to use due care toward a pedestrian. Lynch also paid a $50 surcharge.

"I will, under these circumstances, impose the maximum fine of $100," Gagola announced from the bench, before revoking Lynch's New York license and his vehicle registration.

"He is not to drive in New York State until he is authorized to do so," Gagola said.

Before today's hearing, Lynch admitted driving the vehicle that struck an Ontario woman, expressed his concerns about her welfare and apologized to his teammates, the Bills organization and the team's fans.

In his written statement, Lynch also said that he had no idea that he had struck anyone with his vehicle on the morning of May 31.

Lynch stated that he made a left turn from Chippewa Street onto Delaware Avenue at about 3:30 a.m. that day, when he slowed down for a woman dancing in the crosswalk -- as it turned out, not the woman his vehicle struck. It was dark and raining, and he had the radio on in his vehicle, he stated.

"I was not speeding and at no time struck the woman who was dancing and spinning," he said in the statement released by his attorney Michael P. Caffery. "I also never heard, saw or felt anything else that would lead me to believe that I had struck anyone else or anything else at that time."

Lynch went home and parked his Porsche Cayenne SUV in the driveway of his Hamburg home. Later, police arrived and removed his vehicle from the driveway. In his statement, Lynch does not address why he did not answer his door when investigators knocked, as some sources have told The News.

"I was informed that the police believed that my car had been involved in an accident," he stated. "At that time, I had no basis to believe that it had been involved in any accident. I was in disbelief over this claim and uncertain how to proceed. I was certain that my car did not strike the dancing pedestrian."

Lynch said he contacted his personal attorney, Caffery, who was out of town at the time but agreed to conduct an investigation on Lynch's behalf. While Caffery, Buffalo police and the Erie County district attorney's office investigated the case, Caffery advised him that the investigation would take some time and that he should not comment until all the facts were known, Lynch stated.

As a result of those investigations, Lynch said it appears that his vehicle did strike Kimberly Shpeley.

"I am sorry that Ms. Shpeley was struck and injured," he stated. "Please know that I was completely unaware that my car had made contact with anyone until after the investigation had begun. I would never knowingly leave the scene of an accident and did not do so in this instance."

Based on this facts uncovered by investigators, Lynch said he has decided to resolve the matter by accepting the traffic violation agreed to by Caffery and District Attorney Frank J. Clark.

Lynch also stated that he regrets the matter has taken some time to resolve. If he had known his vehicle had struck a pedestrian, he would have stopped immediately, he stated.

"My greatest concerns and well wishes are of course for Ms. Shpeley," he stated. "However, I also wish to apologize to my teammates, the entire Buffalo Bills organization and the Buffalo fans for this unfortunate accident."

Authorities have pointed out that Lynch's SUV was found in the driveway of his Hamburg home later that morning and that he made no attempt to hide the vehicle after the accident.

Investigators also have said that they found no signs of any alcohol or drugs inside that vehicle.

Prosecutors had said that Lynch, once he was determined to be the driver, could have been charged with leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, which is a misdemeanor crime.

But ongoing discussions last week among the district attorney's office, Caffery and attorneys for the Bills led to the plea deal expected to be finalized this afternoon.

Late this morning, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, before speaking at Chautauqua Institution, said the league still is looking at the case.

"We are monitoring it very closely and we would like to understand the facts, as everyone else would," Goodell said at a press briefing. "There have been a lot of discussions going on privately with law enforcement and Marshawn Lynch's people. I think from our standpoint we'll wait and see what the facts are and then we'll decide whether it's a violation or if it has any involvement with our personal conduct policy."

TackleMeBen
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
civil suit next.. that woman is going to sue the hell out of him now.

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
In his written statement, Lynch also said that he had no idea that he had struck anyone with his vehicle on the morning of May 31.

How could he not have known he hit someone? I hit a squirrel a few years back with the side of my tire (little critter though he was invincible, I guess - LOL!) and I had the radio on, but still could feel that I hit something and stopped immediately and checked it out.

Yet another sickening realization that money talks and bullshit walks. :jerkit:

HughC
06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Obviously statements such as the one Lynch made (http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/06/27/12/MX-2700N_20080627_120854.source.prod_affiliate.50.pdf ) are almost always written by lawyers, agents, or somebody in the PR department, but after checking out Lynch's blog (http://www.yardbarker.com/users/MarshawnLynch), I can't imagine the difficulty he had in simply reading those words!

Steelman16
06-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, the Bills were my surprise pick for the AFC playoffs going into this season....but now I'm not so sure. That's a lot of baggage to take care of, and Lynch is the only good runningback.

Is everyone in the NFL an idiot?

Steelman16
06-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Obviously statements such as the one Lynch made are almost always written by lawyers, agents, or somebody in the PR department, but after checking out Lynch's blog, I can't imagine the difficulty he had in simply reading those words!

Is everyone in the NFL an idiot?

I digress on my statement above...truly this man is the essence of intelligence. Here is a snippet of one of his blog posts: (I think I'll hire him for my representitive...)

Gettin ready 4 da draft
submitted by MarshawnLynch on April 24, 2008
last year n da draft it was ma turn...dis year i got 2 cuzins cummin to join me ....(Head) josh johnson best QB n da draft and (jizzle) rob jordan best WR n da draft...da town (OAKLAND) is soon to be deep n da NFL....we commin to show da world da we get down in da town and can ball too.....and look out 4 ma lil cuzin (fell) at da university of idaho...and it dont stop der ma god brother (Q) quentin thomas point gaurd of UNC gettin ready 4 da NBA....and it get better ....ma cuzins 2 tones doin they music thang....FAM 1ST on da cum up fast...hold ya chin up nuh nuh nuh....... gone

:toofunny:

EDIT: On another note, Ray Ray actually knows how to spell on his blog. :jawdrop:

HometownGal
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Gettin ready 4 da draft
submitted by MarshawnLynch on April 24, 2008
last year n da draft it was ma turn...dis year i got 2 cuzins cummin to join me ....(Head) josh johnson best QB n da draft and (jizzle) rob jordan best WR n da draft...da town (OAKLAND) is soon to be deep n da NFL....we commin to show da world da we get down in da town and can ball too.....and look out 4 ma lil cuzin (fell) at da university of idaho...and it dont stop der ma god brother (Q) quentin thomas point gaurd of UNC gettin ready 4 da NBA....and it get better ....ma cuzins 2 tones doin they music thang....FAM 1ST on da cum up fast...hold ya chin up nuh nuh nuh....... gone

Shoot. Dat mofo need 2 by his fo shizzle bad self a copy of da

http://smartkidsstore.com/store/catalog/images/hooked-read-names-1.jpg

I think he should have plead stupid before pleading guilty.

cubanstogie
06-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Did you see this losers apology. I caught the tail end of it on espn, and it lacked any sincerity or emotion. I have said it before and I will say it again, without football 85 % of nfl players would be in prison or on the street. I love watching football, but I compare it to the zoo or circus. These guys are animals, freaks of nature physically but have no regard for anyone other than themselves. 1 percent of players are role models, pretty sad. I hope the lady takes him for millions.

CantStop85
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
One of the comments on his blog:
"Marshawn;
This is Mrs. Walker who worked at Emerson Elementary School when you were there. I am so proud of you. Next time you are in Oakland come see me I work at Roosevelt Middle School. How is mom and the rest of the family. I still talk to Mrs. Parker. We both send our love and we are so PROUD OF YOU. Much Love. Avis Walker and Mrs. Parker "

Obviously he didn't learn much.

X-Terminator
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Shoot. Dat mofo need 2 by his fo shizzle bad self a copy of da

http://smartkidsstore.com/store/catalog/images/hooked-read-names-1.jpg

I think he should have plead stupid before pleading guilty.

:toofunny::toofunny:

Man, reading that made my head hurt. As an educated black man who actually speaks proper English rather than ebonics, that's just downright embarrassing.

TackleMeBen
06-29-2008, 12:36 PM
EDIT: On another note, Ray Ray actually knows how to spell on his blog
you mean he can carve on his blog.. you know ray ray always has a knife handy..

Galax Steeler
06-30-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't see how anybody could not tell they hit something it would have had to make a noise.:noidea:

rbryan
06-30-2008, 07:14 AM
In a related story Lynch was also found guilty of being the ugliest mo fo in the NFL.

The jury took only 30 seconds to come back with that verdict.

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
it should be legal to hit "dancing,spinning" pedestrians, when thier in the street. :popcorn:

StinkyB
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Buffalo Bills' hit and runningback Marshawn Lynch has a history of bad driving. Check out the videos of him when he was a Cal Bear comandeering field carts and be a genral d-bad on wheels.

Ghost Riding Lynch (http://steelymcstupid.com/?p=222)

Galax Steeler
07-01-2008, 03:51 AM
it should be legal to hit "dancing,spinning" pedestrians, when thier in the street. :popcorn:

:toofunny: