PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com confirms Steelers are looking at LeCharles Bentley

slashsteel
06-27-2008, 07:45 PM
8 teams have looked at LB. 1 of them is Pittsburgh.

28-year-old centers with two Pro Bowls on their resume are not easy to find. So even though he has not played in two seasons, LeCharles Bentley is being looked at by at least 8 teams.

According to NFL. com .

-The website reports that Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, Oakland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Francisco and Seattle are interested.

MY TWO AND A HALF CENTS:

I think Bent- but hopefully not broken would compete with Hartwig for the start. (after all the guy hasn't played in two years) If signed. I see the signing as a long shot for now........

But it is interesting this being reported in the shadow of Dookie's (Najeh Davenport) release from the team.

:tt03:

Aussie_steeler
06-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Smells like some cap space is being freed up for a reason.

Center or D Line appear to be the only reasons to me.

Preacher
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Or to make room for the signing of the drafted players.

But I hope it is to bring on Bentley!!!

19ward86
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Ricky Williams was out for 2 or 3 years and look what he can do...........o yea.

CantStop85
06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't do it Steelers...we need him more. :chuckle:

Preacher
06-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Ricky Williams was out for 2 or 3 years and look what he can do...........o yea.

There is simply no comparison.

One sat out smoking bowles, communing with nature, and dropping weight (how he did that with the munchies I don't know! Yeah, I am probably showing my age with the munchies quote).

The other had surgery, had an infection, then worked over the last year and a half to get back to playing shape.

You think those two are an equal comparison?

UK CANDY BEE
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
That's an adorable video......

Oh......yeah..........Bentley........

You guys don't want Bentley !! He'll expect Hartwig to just step aside and GIVE him the starting spot at C !!

Is Tomlin that kind of guy ??

....well, neither is Crennel !!

Preacher
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
That's an adorable video......

Oh......yeah..........Bentley........

You guys don't want Bentley !! He'll expect Hartwig to just step aside and GIVE him the starting spot at C !!

Is Tomlin that kind of guy ??

....well, neither is Crennel !!

that's quite an oversimplification of the situation in Cleveland. He was slated to be a 3rd stringer at center and a 4th string at Guard... with not a lot of hope to move up.

the man still wants to play. So the team let him go. If he comes to Pittsburgh, he will be given the opportunity to outright WIN the position from Hartwig and Mahan. He would ALSO probably be given the opportunity to win the LG position.

lilyoder6
06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
i think it could be a good sign 4 the steelers.. i mean if he can play like he did in NO then i would love to have him there...

Aussie_steeler
06-27-2008, 09:45 PM

What we guys want is to see some competition in training camp at a spot that was not an area of strength last year for this boards team.

If that means bringing Hartwig in plus Bentley or Datish to compete with Mahan and Stapleton then I am happy for that.

Bring on Bentley I say, as does the majority of other Steelers fans on this board.

FourThreeMafia
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
One of those teams will overpay to get him.

I would take a chance on him, but not a huge one. He will never be as good as he was before the injury.

He could still contribute on our line though, whether its at center or guard.

We will see.

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2008, 10:24 PM

I would take a chance on him, but not a huge one. He will never be as good as he was before the injury.

We will see.

I agree with you on this one. The Steelers will never even try to win a bidding war for a player. Might as well write him in on the Dolphins or some other team right now.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
It would be a risk to sign Bentley but if he rebounds to top form then it would be worth the risk...I don't care either way...If they sign I hope it works out if not then I won't lose sleep over it either....

millwalldavey
06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I just don't know how much of a risk I'd like to see on this one...

Preacher
06-27-2008, 11:22 PM

We will see.

Maybe so, maybe not.

With a year and a half's worth of healing without impact, he may rise to be the exact same player he was.

And with two years of wear and tear not on the rest his body, in the middle of his career, he may actually have more life at the end of his career then most.

Heck, I saw pay him a couple million, with a couple mill in bonuses for making the first team, games started, etc. Sign him to a three year contract heavily laden with incentives. Then see what he can produce.

MasterOfPuppets
06-28-2008, 12:06 AM
even if bently plays at 75 % of what he used play, he'll still be 25% better than mayhan was.

Davison_K
06-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I am probably showing my age with the munchies quote).

lol - no you are good - i am 19 and people who like to spend time with Ricky Williams still call it the same thing... so you aren't showing your age too much:toofunny:

Preacher
06-28-2008, 12:33 AM
lol - no you are good - i am 19 and people who like to spend time with Ricky Williams still call it the same thing... so you aren't showing your age too much:toofunny:

:rofl:

OK....

Galax Steeler
06-28-2008, 05:29 AM
I say if we don't have to pay to much for him then bring him in for competition for camp.

Elvis
06-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I think that the only reason the Browns cut him is because they already think that their guy is better at this point, not because he was that bad or failed a physical. I would love to see the Steelers take a chance on him and sign him up.
:hatsoff:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2008, 10:43 AM
even if bently plays at 75 % of what he used play, he'll still be 25% better than mayhan was.

This is probably the most intelligent and consise post I have ever seen on this board:thumbsup:

j-dawg
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
It was pretty crummy, what happened to Bently in Cleveland, injury wise. I can't pretend to know what exactly Savage was thinking when he let B go, but I'm sure it wasn't to allow him to go to another team in our division. He got 18 million from the Browns and didn't play a single snap. If there was value there, I'd think he'd have wanted something for Big B. That leads me to believe that B could be one snap away from a career ending injury or Savage decided to make a personal decision instead of a business decision in releasing him.

His comments about the current Browns O-line came from frustration, I'm sure, but they were publicly said regardless. I wouldn't want to take anything from his past accomplishments, but I don't feel sorry if he doesn't want to prove his ability in training camp. He was a king in New Orleans, with a serious drop off in talent around him. If he's as good as he's advertising, he'll have to do the same thing that was expected of him in Cleveland... COMPETE in training camp. Doesn't matter if it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th team. I understand familiarity is important in the development of an O-line but talent always wins out.

Regardless, LeCharles is no doubt a tough competitor, and I hope nothing but the best for him, as long as whatever team he's on loses to the Browns.

"I'm still a fan, I'm still a Cleveland guy, and I'm glad to see the Browns do well, They have got so many stars now. I'm excited about that from a fan's perspective. I'm always going to be a Cleveland Browns die-hard fan no matter what. Whatever happens, I'm glad to see the team do well." - LeCharles Bently

RoethlisBURGHer
06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
If he can pass a tough physical, I will have no problem signing him and letting him compete for the center or left gaurd position.

He wanted out of Cleveland because he wasn't going to start, there wasn't room for him on the offensive line like there was a few years ago when he was signed by Cleveland. It wasn't because he may be one snap away from a career-ending injry, if that were true he would have failed his physical.

If he ends up in the Black and Gold, I will be very excited because if he's healthy our line will be majorly upgraded at wherever he plays.

If he ends up somewhere else that's fine because I am comfortable with Hartwig at center and Kemoeatu at left gaurd.

steel anchor
06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know when they have to cut players, it does seem like they are
making room for something. I understand the rb situation.They draft one and
Davenport had battery charges. Which the Steelers DO NOT like.

KeiselPower99
06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Competetion is nice to have. Its all but assured by us that Hartwig is the man at center.

lilyoder6
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
doesn't hurt to have competition on the o-line just makes evryone better...

Galax Steeler
06-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Does anyone know when they have to cut players, it does seem like they are
making room for something. I understand the rb situation.They draft one and
Davenport had battery charges. Witch the Steelers DO NOT like.

I think they have to be down to 80 by training camp we are at 82.

KeiselPower99
06-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I think they have to be down to 80 by training camp we are at 82.

We had 85 guys on the roster and due to no NFL Europe spots only 80 players can go to camp with us. So 2 more cuts need made. Does suck about Legursky. We all seemed pretty high on him.

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't see Bentley coming here at all. The team is two deep at Center with Hartwig and Stapleton. The Guard positions has one guy who is way overpaid manning the RG spot and Kemo and possibly Mahan at the LG spot. Smith is at LT for the time being with Starks waiting for him to leave after the season is over. RT, although Colon is more suited for Guard, Bentley can't play RT either.

Where is the fit here? He's going to get pretty decent money and he doesn't want to be a backup. I don't see it happening at all.

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 10:03 AM
On a side note (for some of the younger less expereinced posters here), notice that THIS was one of the rare examples of an announcement being made on the board about a player being released from another team where the board did NOT openly mock picking the guy up with the whole "He'd look good in B&G for vet minimum".

Point being, 90% of the guys released have 0.00% chance of ever even being given a second thought by the Steelers, let alone actually signed, but, on occasion, there are legit cases to be made for a very few players.

This is one of those exceptions. I still expect the next time some triple convicted Bungals WR gets cut there'll always be some knucklehead who chimes in "we should give him a look", but it's nice to see that this board is mostly populated by level-headed folk who "get it".

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
To go from Mahan at center to last year to the potential of having 4 or 5 brought into camp is a heck of a turn around. They obviously agree with me that it all starts up front. The Center is the anchor point and everything on offense starts right there.

Disclaimer, if the Jags cut Matt Jones the WR, I will be calling for us to bring him and give him a look. Just warning you ahead of time.

BlastFurnace
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
"He'd look good in B&G for vet minimum".

I agree with what you wrote. Whenever I see this typed by anyone, it makes me laugh.

KeiselPower99
06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I heard on Sirius radio that Bentley has a attitude issue towards authority. Not sure on this but if its comiong from very good sources then it has to be true.

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I've followed Bentley since College, and have never heard anything even remotely close to this before today.

The_WARDen
06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Why would the Steelers want Clown trash?

Preacher
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I heard on Sirius radio that Bentley has a attitude issue towards authority. Not sure on this but if its comiong from very good sources then it has to be true.

It may be someone trying to drive down his value.

43Hitman
06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
It may be someone trying to drive down his value.

And we all know who that is...ahem.. John Kuhn.:flap:

OneForTheToe
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Maybe so, maybe not.

With a year and a half's worth of healing without impact, he may rise to be the exact same player he was. [and a little magic healing potion mixed up by Roger Clemons]:wave:

And with two years of wear and tear not on the rest his body, in the middle of his career, he may actually have more life at the end of his career then most.

Heck, I saw pay him a couple million, with a couple mill in bonuses for making the first team, games started, etc. Sign him to a three year contract heavily laden with incentives. Then see what he can produce.

I edited your post a bit , Preacher.:wink02:

lilyoder6
06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
i like it.. u are right that he'll have more yr left since he didn't rly wear his body down.. all he has been doing is working out getting stronger faster and w/e else to make him better... and w/ the matt jones thing.. i was w/ u b4 we drafted limas but now we have our 4 wr's and rly don't need him.. but i guess some competiotion won't hurt