PDA

View Full Version : With Davenport cut....

ace man 21
06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
When it came across the wire that the Pittsburgh Steelers had released Najeh Davenport, I told NFL.com Associate Editor Jason Feller, "Don't use the headline, 'Steelers dump Davenport!'" (If you didn't already know, Davenport is infamous for his, well, use of a closet for something other than hanging clothes).

With Davenport out of the mix, rookie Rashard Mendenhall has no real competition for the second spot on the Steelers depth chart. And if he can outshine veteran Mewelde Moore in training camp, there's even a chance he could be used as the third-down back.

Mendenhall, who caught a career-best 34 passes in his final collegiate season at Illinois, should secure the role if he can pass protect well in preseason action. He might also be in the lead in the competition for those ever-important goal-line carries, which starter Willie Parker lost to Davenport last season.

Parker is a lock to remain atop the depth chart, but there's been talk of a split backfield with Mendenhall in what's known as a pony formation. Old school Steeler fans will remember that from the days when Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier shared the workload under former head coach Chuck Noll.

Fast Willie is still the first Steelers back to target in seasonal drafts, but with Davenport now out of the mix, it looks like Mendenhall's role (and draft value) is destined to increase.

Steeldude
06-29-2008, 12:02 AM
mendenhall was the #2 RB the moment he was drafted. it had nothing to do with davenport. IMO, russell should be given a shot at the #2, but that won't happen because mendehall was a 1st rounder.

Glace
06-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Easily Parker and Mendenhall at 1 and 2 respectively.

Moore won't see time as a RB unless there's an injury or he's spelling someone. He's experienced depth...that's it...and maybe he'll be returning some kicks this year.

Personally I don't think we need him at all.

Preacher
06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
tell you this much... I'd love to see Moore give 'em both a run for their money (no pun intended)...

Last year proved you can never be deep enough at the RB position.

The Duke
06-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Moore won't see time as a RB unless there's an injury or he's spelling someone. He's experienced depth...that's it...and maybe he'll be returning some kicks this year.

Personally I don't think we need him at all.

no way man, moore is the only experienced 3rd down back on the roster. just watch what he did in minnesota, he's amazing, and is on the steelers for more than just depth

Last year proved you can never be deep enough at the RB position.

exactly :thumbsup:

Glace
06-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Moore might be proven in the pro's, but Mendenhall is more than capable of being a 3rd down back. Mendenhall has some great hands to go along with his running game.

I don't think they cut Moore...but like I said, I don't see him on the field much this year unless somebody gets hurt.

9-5
06-29-2008, 01:23 AM
I cant wait for the Browns to sign him, then watch him run for 200 yards in week 2 in CBS. :rofl: :laughing:

/sarcasm

Preacher
06-29-2008, 02:08 AM
I cant wait for the Browns to sign him, then watch him run for 200 yards in week 2 in CBS. :rofl: :laughing:

/sarcasm

Hmmm...

That two hundred yards would be the approximate distance of the Steelers bus from the Browns stadium....

... and it would be followed by him begging us to take him back.:wink02:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2008, 04:07 AM
Most useless question ever....Mendenhall was number 2 when he was drafted and would still be number 2 if Davenport wasn't cut...Plus its only a matter of time before Mendenhall is number 1...I'm a big Parker fan and I'm fine with him as the starter....But you don't spend a first round pick on a RB to keep him number 2.....Sure Mendenhall has to learn the NFL game first and many first round RBs have been busts...But in my opinion Rashard is a stud and I wouldn't be shocked if Mendenhall is starting by mid/late season.....But I don't think that happens and I look for Mendenhall to start in 2009....Fast Willie will still have a role on this team...You need two RBs anymore...

As for the 3rd down back this year...I don't think they send a rookie out there on 3rd down especially on passing downs......Blitz pickup is an important role and Moore is very good in that area as well and can catch the ball out of the backfield....Mendenhall can do those things to....But I don't see a rookie being trusted in that role right away....So Moore will still have a role on this team...He will be the punt returner and the Keven Faulk on 3rd down passing situations for this team....

Galax Steeler
06-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Most useless question ever....Mendenhall was number 2 when he was drafted and would still be number 2 if Davenport wasn't cut...Plus its only a matter of time before Mendenhall is number 1...I'm a big Parker fan and I'm fine with him as the starter....But you don't spend a first round pick on a RB to keep him number 2.....Sure Mendenhall has to learn the NFL game first and many first round RBs have been busts...But in my opinion Rashard is a stud and I wouldn't be shocked if Mendenhall is starting by mid/late season.....But I don't think that happens and I look for Mendenhall to start in 2009....Fast Willie will still have a role on this team...You need two RBs anymore...

I agree with you 100% Mendenhall will be the man next year if not late this year willie is a good back but I don't think he can hold off Mendehall.

Elvis
06-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I really dont understand why everyone is so down on Mr. Parker. The guy has ran the ball well for the steelers and did it a very low pay rate his first 2 seasons. I like what I am hearing about Mendenhall also, but Willie is our starter until Proven Otherwise
:helmet:

The Duke
06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I really dont understand why everyone is so down on Mr. Parker.

because a rookie is obviously better than him :rolleyes:

The guy has ran the ball well for the steelers and did it a very low pay rate his first 2 seasons. I like what I am hearing about Mendenhall also, but Willie is our starter until Proven Otherwise

exactly. willie has proven us he can carry the load, even when overworked like last year, and as much as I'd like mendenhall to be good I don't see willie losing his job any time soon

Steelman16
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Blame it on Willie. Willie's not good enough. He's too short, too small, too fast for his own good, doesn't go in between the tackles enough, broke his leg... It's all Willie's fault. :wink02:

Elvis is correct though. Willie is our starter until somebody takes that away from him. Unless something drastic happens, he will remain that this year and probably the next IMO.

msafford
06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I really dont understand why everyone is so down on Mr. Parker. The guy has ran the ball well for the steelers and did it a very low pay rate his first 2 seasons. I like what I am hearing about Mendenhall also, but Willie is our starter until Proven Otherwise

Not if we had John Kuhn. :wink02::toofunny:

rbryan
06-29-2008, 10:07 AM
You forgot one. He fumbles too much.

Steelman16
06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

Oh how could I forget? :banging:

:toofunny:

Galax Steeler
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM

I am not down on willie he is a good back I like willie alot,but he is lacking the hard hitting run over you style back and I think that Mendenhall brings it to the table.:drink:

lilyoder6
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
rashard has no chall at #2 rb... we should use moore as a pr and a kor.. and a 3rd down back 4 the most part... and then when we are blowing teams away and rest willie and then he can share loads w/. rashard

Haiku_Dirtt
06-29-2008, 12:59 PM
mendenhall was the #2 RB the moment he was drafted. it had nothing to do with davenport. IMO, russell should be given a shot at the #2, but that won't happen because mendehall was a 1st rounder.

Echo this.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know, seems kind of easy to me. Browns have 9 NFL Championships, Steelers have 5. Browns have a winning percentage of .532, Steelers are at .507 . Browns have the greatest running back of all time, Steelers don't. Who do you think is better?

Where on earth do you get 9 NFL Championships? They have 4 AAFC Championshoips (which are NOT NFL CHampionships and do not count in the overall total IMHO) and 4 NFL Championships.

So you don't even have your facts about the Browns correct, troll jerkweed.

TackleMeBen
06-29-2008, 01:27 PM
and he cant block either:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
and he cant block either:wink02:

Not everyone can be John Kuhn..:flap:

stillers4me
06-29-2008, 01:32 PM
You should have added a third choice.

3. duh........

TackleMeBen
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Not everyone can be John Kuhn..:flap:
that is true. :chuckle:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Ok so I have an high opinion on Mendenhall and I think he will be the starter sooner rather then later that means I'm down on Parker?lol I guess you missed were I said I'm fine with Parker as the starter?.....lol

You don't spend a first round pick to keep a guy second string for long...lol Plus you need two RBs anymore....Fast Willie is a very good RB but it would be nice to reduce his number of carries this year...

I swear this is the most butt hurt site...lol You give an opinion and people always thinking you're knocking somebody....I guess I just need to wave my :tt02: and say the Steelers and everyone of their players are the greatest ever...lol

19ward86
06-29-2008, 02:26 PM
what kind of question is that?

fansince'76
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I really dont understand why everyone is so down on Mr. Parker.

Simple, he didn't have an All-World pedigree coming out of college. You know, like Reggie Bush, Ron Dayne and Cedric Benson did.

Steeldude
06-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know, seems kind of easy to me. Browns have 9 NFL Championships, Steelers have 5. Browns have a winning percentage of .532, Steelers are at .507 . Browns have the greatest running back of all time, Steelers don't. Who do you think is better?

i judge championships by SB wins. browns have zero.

jim brown being the greatest RB of all-time is debatable. one could claim that he was the greatest RB/woman-beater of all-time...eh..eh...that's something. am i right or am i right...right...rig...? *ned ryerson*

MACH1
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM

And is no good on goal line plays. :wink02:

CantStop85
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
If Willie Parker couldn't even start for UNC, he couldn't possibly be any good. Mendenhall should be the starter...just look at everything he's done in college! :wink02:

:chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
If Willie Parker couldn't even start for UNC, he couldn't possibly be any good. Mendenhall should be the starter...just look at everything he's done in college! :wink02:

Hmmmmm.....
Najeh Davenport had...499 yards (on 107 carries) and 5 rushing TD's
Rudi Johnson had........497 Yards (on 170 carries) and 3 rushing TD's

Bengals looking for an upgrade?

CantStop85
06-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Hmmmmm.....

Looks like someone's sarcasm detector is broken! :noidea:

And yes, Rudi Johnson was terrible last year...tell me something I don't know.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Looks like someone's sarcasm detector is broken! :noidea:

And yes, Rudi Johnson was terrible last year...tell me something I don't know.

LOL!!...gotta whoooole "Bengals Suck" thread full of things you dont know.

Steelman16
06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Hmmmmm.....

:doh: 2 yards IS an upgrade for the Bungles! 2 more TD trips to the closet, and on a dozen less carries too!

Gosh.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
:doh: 2 yards IS an upgrade for the Bungles! 2 more TD trips to the closet, and on a dozen less carries too!

Gosh.

Bengal Fans HATE stats!!!:sofunny::sofunny:

CantStop85
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Gosh.

Here's something you may not have known. 63 carries > a dozen

:noidea:

LVSteelersfan
06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Willie sucks if you don't open a hole for him. Plain and simple. He gets pulled down in the backfield more than any back I see out there. He has streaks of brilliance once in awhile, but for the most part he is useless in smash mouth style football. I cringe every time I see him looking for a hole that isn't there because you KNOW he is not going anywhere. Sorry, but his YPC is pathetic if you throw out the few long runs he gets in every game. We need consistency in that position. I don't hate Willie but I also don't believe he will remain the starter for very long if Mendenhall shows us he is as good as advertised. And don't even discount Mewelde Moore in the mix. He is an excellent player.

LVSteelersfan
06-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Browns fans still don't get it that their team is an EXPANSION team and is not the original Cleveland Browns. What is your record since the league let you crawl back in? Don't talk about long lost teams that were not even in the real NFL.

The Duke
06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
willie sucks, mendenhall will suck(screw that, he sucks already), gary russell is the future

not kidding, look at this quote

The Steelers' coaching staff reportedly believes Gary Russell can develop into a "top-notch NFL running back."
It sounds like Pittsburgh plans on keeping four tailbacks after releasing Najeh Davenport. Russell does have practice squad eligibility left, however, and still needs a big preseason to make the roster. He won't pass Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, or Mewelde Moore on the depth chart.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Bengal Fans HATE stats!!!:sofunny::sofunny:

with bengals fans you mean CS85 and....

MasterOfPuppets
06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
with bengals fans you mean CS85 and.... :huh:...........it does kind of appear as though the "bengal faithful" :toofunny: have left CS85 to man the front line by himself......:chuckle:

lilyoder6
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
w/ davenport gone now the steelers can save money by not buying anymore air freshners to keep the lockerrooms smelling good

Galax Steeler
06-30-2008, 04:37 AM
willie sucks, mendenhall will suck(screw that, he sucks already), gary russell is the future

not kidding, look at this quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Russell will be ok but like it says he won't pass Mendenhall,Parker or Moore.

The_WARDen
06-30-2008, 08:03 AM
he'll be #1 shortly, teams don't draft RBs in the 1st round to have them sit on the bench.

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
So the 5 people who voted against RM being the #2 back have him being the #1 back, right?

lilyoder6
06-30-2008, 10:00 AM
i didn't vote... willie is a very good back and rashard can become a rly good back... but the league as turned into a 2 back system.. so it's not like either one of them will not get carries

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2008, 10:06 AM
People...it'll be situational.

1st and 10. Parker will be the back.
2nd and distance, Parker will be the back.
3rd and 4 or less, it could Mendenhall as the back.
3rd and 5 or more, Moore will be the 3rd down running back.

It'll be situational all season, every game. Before we go and give Mendenhall the game ball against the Texans, lets see how he does picking up the offense in the pre-season and see how "tough" he really is between the tackles at the NFL Level.

MasterOfPuppets
06-30-2008, 11:06 AM
People...it'll be situational.

1st and 10. Parker will be the back.
2nd and distance, Parker will be the back.
3rd and 4 or less, it could Mendenhall as the back.
3rd and 5 or more, Moore will be the 3rd down running back.

It'll be situational all season, every game. Before we go and give Mendenhall the game ball against the Texans, lets see how he does picking up the offense in the pre-season and see how "tough" he really is between the tackles at the NFL Level.actually, i see mendenhall getting a fair share of carries on 1st & 2nd down.especially late in the games when trying to run out the clock.

Dino 6 Rings
06-30-2008, 11:20 AM
actually, i see mendenhall getting a fair share of carries on 1st & 2nd down.especially late in the games when trying to run out the clock.

Yeah, I can see that too, late in games with a 3 score lead and what not. It'll save Willie the beating.

KeiselPower99
06-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Im not sure if anyone noticed but on the post gazette site Gary Dulac points out the Steelers are really high on Gary Russell and he not Mendenhall is the reason Davenport was released so early. Now saying that what other RBs are on the roster??? I think it was gonna happen anyway and they wanted to make sure he got with a team before training camp.

The_WARDen
06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
So the 5 people who voted against RM being the #2 back have him being the #1 back, right?

if not late this year, then by next year...

lilyoder6
06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
i want to see russell w/ more carries :o

The Duke
06-30-2008, 11:41 PM
i want to see russell w/ more carries :o

same here. the kid could be something, let him show it during the season. maybe use him to run out the clock against the brownies in week 2 :tt02:

Preacher
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
same here. the kid could be something, let him show it during the season. maybe use him to run out the clock against the brownies in week 2 :tt02:

Absolutely...

Let him get a very good name for himself, and then use him as trading fodder next year in the draft.

Galax Steeler
07-01-2008, 04:31 AM
It will be interesting to see how russell will be used this year with the backs we have on our roster 4 good backs so we will see how it unfolds.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how russell will be used this year with the backs we have on our roster 4 good backs so we will see how it unfolds.

I think that Russell may actually pick up some of the goalline and short yardage carries, along with Mendenhall, that Dookie had last season.

lilyoder6
07-01-2008, 12:01 PM
hoepfully all the stories are true about him gaining 10 pounds of muscle we can use him on goaline packages...

MDSteel15
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Actually, Mendenhall is #1 right now since Parker will not be ready to start the season opener...

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Actually, Mendenhall is #1 right now since Parker will not be ready to start the season opener...first i've heard of this.....

The Duke
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Actually, Mendenhall is #1 right now since Parker will not be ready to start the season opener...

:link:

the steelers have said since december that willie will be fine, and we haven't heard anything but good reports from willie

lilyoder6
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
all i have been hearing is that willie is almost 100 % and be rdy 4 the season..

fansince'76
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

Sounds like wishful thinking to me....

KeiselPower99
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Willie will be the starter Sept 7 againest the Texans unless he has a major setback. I actually predict Mendy being the number 3 guy for the first month of the season.

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
w/ davenport cut.. ken will be calling to see if he wants to play 4 the arizona steelers

43Hitman
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Absolutely...

Let him get a very good name for himself, and then use him as trading fodder next year in the draft.

Hmm. Not so sure about that Preach, If the wheels start to fall off of Willie then having Russell and Mendenhall is a great insurance policy. Personally I love the depth that we have, a nice mix of veterans and young bucks.