PDA

View Full Version : Football Magazines

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I have been checking out this years stack of football mags...just to see what they are predicting....My usual favorite (Pro Football Weekly...whom I will refer to as Pro Football Weakly until they stop the Patriots love-fest ) has become somewhat slanted and the information in it lacked the "meat" of previous years. They have our Steelers at 10-6 but losing the North to the Browns....They do have a pretty good article on teams "Spreading It Out"...with the Steelers mentioned prominantly.
Lindy's is pretty good but its predictions are pretty suspect...and rely more on last years records then on any stat analysist or draft strength.
I have scanned several more not not enough to give any insight on articles...but the most common prediction seems to be...... the Chargers win this years Superbowl over the Cowboys...I have seen the Patriots and Cowboys also mentioned as winners next year.

The Steelers are predicted to go to the playoffs in almost every magazine but I have see nothing that shows us winning a playoff game....Good....so much more enjoyable when it happens!!

If anyone has bought any of the others...I would love to hear what they predict and how good the magazines are.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
They have our Steelers at 10-6 but losing the North to the Browns.....

How do we go 10-6 and lose the division to an 8-8 team?

Steeler in Carolina
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
That magazine also has Cleveland going 10-6. I think that is too high from a team that their QB played way over his head last year. This year will be a different story.

Hannity_on_Holmes
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
we shall see how cleveland does.
but im sure most teams will just pick apart at their secondary

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
That magazine also has Cleveland going 10-6. I think that is too high from a team that their QB played way over his head last year. This year will be a different story.

I agree..as I stated in another post.....

The Browns ranked #30 in total defense...#24 in pass defense...#27 in rush defense
They also were hampered by the fact that they were 3rd in total penalties and 5th in penalty yards.

As much as Derek Anderson is (over) hyped..he ranked a VERY poor #28 in pass completion percentage at 56.5%...his pass rating was #17 ... and there were only three other QB's who threw for more interceptions.

Last year was as much of a fluke for the Browns, as the Bengal season was in 2005-2006. A bad defense...below average QB...and poor discipline/penalties are not the hallmark of a team that is on the rise

Dodt
06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
according to this years sporting news preseason guide the steelers will face the jags again in the first round and lose .(and the championship game is a repeat of last year.) no real bold predictions for this season playoffs from them except the bungels will get the second wild card spot. i really doubt the cowboys and charges will go to the superbowl.

The Duke
06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
no real bold predictions for this season playoffs from them except the bungels will get the second wild card spot. .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

that's pretty bold right there

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
The Browns ranked #30 in total defense...#24 in pass defense...#27 in rush defense
They also were hampered by the fact that they were 3rd in total penalties and 5th in penalty yards.

As much as Derek Anderson is (over) hyped..he ranked a VERY poor #28 in pass completion percentage at 56.5%...his pass rating was #17 ... and there were only three other QB's who threw for more interceptions.

Last year was as much of a fluke for the Browns, as the Bengal season was in 2005-2006. A bad defense...below average QB...and poor discipline/penalties are not the hallmark of a team that is on the rise

Quite Easy to suck on defense with a crappy d-line. Williams and Rogers are an upgrade to those positions. Hate on Rogers as much as you like, but he's miles better than anyone we had on last years line.

It all starts up front folks.

DA is overrated and ANY Browns fan can tell you that a lot of his success is due to have some very very good weapons on O (KWII, Braylon, Jurevicious.), a decent back in Jamal Lewis, Josh Cribbs setting him up for good field position, and having probably one of the best lines in football. Add all of those things up and its pretty hard to fail. And if he does, we have a certain hometown golden boy who's been waiting to take the reigns.

As far as the penalties and discipline, Yeah, we're young, What did you expect? :noidea:. I can tell you that from my point of view, unlike the bungles management, Phil looks very hard at player character and other qualities of that nature. I don't really detect any Neon Deion/Chad Johnson locker room type cancers on this team. One might argue KWII but there really hasn't been that much of a rift, as even though he wanted a new contract, he still came to camp. Braylon at one point got pointed out as "fighting" with frye on the sideline, but from what I saw, he seemed pretty pissed that the line wasn't blocking for him, "This jersey should be clean".

Areas where I'm concerned?

Depth at Secondary, and Maybe at Runningback. But from what I see, we might have a chance to improve those before preseason starts.

Now what about Pittsburgh? The offensive line has hardly improved from last year, and the defensive line is fairly weak from what I've seen in regards to depth. That and your current players seem to be getting up there in age.

on paper, There seems to be more holes on your side, but we shall see. Remember Football is played on the field, not in Lindy's :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
06-30-2008, 04:04 AM
I am sure they will be good games better then what the rest of the of the north will be.

revefsreleets
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Again (from LLT's PFW article), this is the secondary that will lead the Browns into the playofs?

"As it stands now, Jereme Perry has the edge to be the Browns’ fourth cornerback behind Terry Cousin, Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright. But speculation persists that Cleveland will be looking hard at the waiver wire come August."

No. No it's not. That's only one legit CB and they will be lit up early and often in nickel and dime packages.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
RRWPC, the Steelers did upgrade their offensive line when they signed Justin Hartwig to "compete" (read take over) for the center position. Sean Mahan is NOT an NFL center, he can't handle a 3-4 nosetackle. He'll be given a shot to replace Alan Faneca at LG with a competition against Chris Kemoeatu, whom coahces felt could be a starter last year at gaurd but was stuck behind Faneca and Simmons.

Our defensive line doesn't have a lot of depth, but as long as Aaron Smith doesn't get hurt, and his track record says he won't, our offensive line will be fine. Not to mention the upgrade at OLB with Woodley taking over for Haggans.

Don't worry about us man, we'll be fine. Worry about that depleted secondary of yours that will be getting burned by Big Ben's bombs to Holmes, Ward, and Sweed in that Sunday Night Football game in Cleveland.

And yes, Rodgers is an upgrade over anything you guys had on the defensive line last year. He's also a proven malcontent and doesn't play hard every play. If you guys start out 0-2 with losses to Dallas and Pittsburgh, I don't think we'll be seeing much of the "new and improved" Shaun Rogers. Better hope he doesn't come into camp way overweight like he did every year in Detroit.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Again (from LLT's PFW article), this is the secondary that will lead the Browns into the playofs?

"As it stands now, Jereme Perry has the edge to be the Browns’ fourth cornerback behind Terry Cousin, Brandon McDonald and Eric Wright. But speculation persists that Cleveland will be looking hard at the waiver wire come August."

No. No it's not. That's only one legit CB and they will be lit up early and often in nickel and dime packages.

Theres probably one more coming as hinted to via the Waiver claim. Rumors are that Ashton Youboty, former OSU player and Buffalo Bill could be the next corner for depth purposes. Ty law is still out there as well. I've got a good feeling Phil won't leave us hanging and find one more player as a quick fix solution, and next year perhaps finding a hard-hitting Safety ala Eric Turner for us.

rbryan
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Shaun Rogers + New contract = All you can eat buffet 24/7

Please tell me the hopes and dreams of all Browns fans aren't riding on this guy being the answer for that pitiful defense.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Shaun Rogers + New contract = All you can eat buffet 24/7

Please tell me the hopes and dreams of all Browns fans aren't riding on this guy being the answer for that pitiful defense.

lulz...His new position is noseguard..a position thats pretty much allows you to plug up the hole, so him getting fat is not really that much of a problem, so long as he keeps his power. :flap:

The Duke
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
lulz...His new position is noseguard..a position thats pretty much allows you to plug up the hole, so him getting fat is not really that much of a problem, so long as he keeps his power. :flap:

you would think so, but casey hampton was a little overweight last year and he wasn't as dominant as before. but yeah, he' still an improvement over whoever you had last year.

rbryan
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Another fat guy in Cleveland.............lol

Seriously though good luck. You guys are due. Most of my friends that are Browns fans are good people and deserve a good from the Browns. I'd still rather see the Brownies win than the Bunglers or Ratbirds FWIW.

Now if we lose in week two...... all good luck wishes are rescinded....lol

fansince'76
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Seriously though good luck. You guys are due....I'd still rather see the Brownies win than the Bunglers or Ratbirds FWIW.

Now if we lose in week two...... all good luck wishes are rescinded....lol

:iagree: ....on both counts.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
according to this years sporting news preseason guide the steelers will face the jags again in the first round and lose .(and the championship game is a repeat of last year.) no real bold predictions for this season playoffs from them except the bungels will get the second wild card spot. i really doubt the cowboys and charges will go to the superbowl.

I have just about lost all respect for TSN. When it was still Street and Smith they were usually pretty good. It's a shame that a once respectable magazine has went down the shoot.