PDA

View Full Version : Do we keep 4 running backs?

LayinWoodley56
07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
I read another little article today in my fanball fantasy league news tracker about how much the Steelers were praising Gary Russell. Is there any chance we keep 4 RB's AND and FB this season?

It's tough, because I don't think Russell clears waivers to make it to the PS. I think he has a higher ceiling than Mewelde Moore, however barring injury, Moore will at least contribute if he's on the team on special teams and 3rd downs. If it were Russell instead of Moore I don't think he'd ever see the field...

What do you guys think?

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I won't lose sleep if we cut Gary Russell

Counselor
07-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I read another little article today in my fanball fantasy league news tracker about how much the Steelers were praising Gary Russell. Is there any chance we keep 4 RB's AND and FB this season?

It's tough, because I don't think Russell clears waivers to make it to the PS. I think he has a higher ceiling than Mewelde Moore, however barring injury, Moore will at least contribute if he's on the team on special teams and 3rd downs. If it were Russell instead of Moore I don't think he'd ever see the field...

What do you guys think?

Last Year we kept: Parker, Davenport, Russell, Davis & Kreider

This Year we'll keep: Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell and Davis.

We're moving away from the pure FB it seems---so I suspect we will keep Russell. No worries.

HometownGal
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM

We're moving away from the pure FB it seems---so I suspect we will keep Russell. No worries.

Yeppers. Couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:

DACEB
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I won't lose sleep if we cut Gary Russell

That's right, get rid of the promising tailback that while in college was on par with Maroney and Barber. The same guy that has only improved since he's been on the team. The same guy that we pay almost nothing to keep on the team, and who's value will skyrocket once he actually hits the field.

This kid reportedly came into OTAs in great shape, 10lbs of added muscle, and the coaches have been praising his progress. To me that proves he is doing everything necessary to dispel the reputation he had after leaving college, and show he is ready to be a proffesional.

Two years from now we could be looking at the RB tandem of Mendenhall and Russell, while banking some draft picks in the process.

BlastFurnace
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Russell isn't going anywhere. Dale Lolley, a Steelers Insider, has said in his blog how much the Steelers like this guy and believe he can be a top notch RB in the future. That's part of the reason that Davenport was cut.

Personally, I would not like it at all if we cut Russell. The kid has talent and has shown to be a decent special teams player. Why get rid of him?

Regardless of how much I like Willie Parker, to think a guy of his build...and his wear and tear already...is going to have a long career is wishful thinking. If we have a young RB that can team with Mendenhall in the future, we need to keep him.

HughC
07-01-2008, 10:02 AM
When you get down to those last roster spots it should be determined by how you perform on special teams. That is where a player will have impact, since he'll rarely see playing time at his regular position. As Blast Furnace pointed out, Russell is a decent special teams player, so I would be surprised if he is cut. When you are last on the depth chart at RB, LB, WR, etc., how you perform on special teams will determine whether or not you make the roster.

fansince'76
07-01-2008, 10:06 AM
That's right, get rid of the promising tailback that while in college was on par with Maroney and Barber. The same guy that has only improved since he's been on the team. The same guy that we pay almost nothing to keep on the team, and who's value will skyrocket once he actually hits the field....Two years from now we could be looking at the RB tandem of Mendenhall and Russell, while banking some draft picks in the process.

I don't understand what the big deal is about Russell when he has done nothing to this point to warrant it (sorry, I don't care how good he was in college). I also don't understand why people are so quick to show Willie the door, especially when Willie has actually done something at the NFL level. :hunch:

KeiselPower99
07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
When does Parkers contract run out??

Counselor
07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is about Russell when he has done nothing to this point to warrant it (sorry, I don't care how good he was in college). I also don't understand why people are so quick to show Willie the door, especially when Willie has actually done something at the NFL level. :hunch:

He was only a rookie last year--- so I think everyone wants to give him a little more time. If we have space for him---and we do, we should keep a young prospect over someone like Davenport.

As for Willie Parker---I don't think anyone wants to show him the door---but its a fact that running back careers are shorter than other players. He's in his prime now at 27, but a smart team thinks about the future. Look at Shaun Alexander, he went from MVP to released pretty quickly.

Rotorhead
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
If anything, we will at least keep GR for trade bait. Give him a little playing time against teams we are beating to a pulp (like we will do all year hehe) to showcase his skills and he will become an enticing trade prospect. Plus good ST place will be nice for a change.

DACEB
07-01-2008, 10:33 AM

While I'll admit Russell is no John Kuhn....:chuckle: Going by what I saw in pre-season last year and what we have been hearing thru the media and team sources this year, at his price and with his potential.. I'll keep him. Russell has shown us more than Mendenhall, yet we're all pretty excited about RushHard.

I myself am not ready to show Willie the door, nor do I believe I implied that. First I believe Willie will be fine from the injury, but what if he isn't. I also believe that contract negotiations would be a piece of cake with Willie when his contract is up, but what if he wants too much. Russell is an extremely cheap insurance policy with the possibilty of a huge payout.

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM
That's right, get rid of the promising tailback that while in college was on par with Maroney and Barber.

You mean the guy that flunked out of college?

Mendenhall is more promising.

The same guy that has only improved since he's been on the team. The same guy that we pay almost nothing to keep on the team, and who's value will skyrocket once he actually hits the field.

Moore also gets paid very little and can contribute now

This kid reportedly came into OTAs in great shape, 10lbs of added muscle, and the coaches have been praising his progress..

Do you have a link? I hope you are right

He came into the NFL fat and out of shape

BlastFurnace
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM

I don't want to show Willie the door either, but for someone with his type of build, the shelf life is usually not a long career. Personally, I hope Willie and Mendenhall will team up for many years to come, but as we all saw with Barry Foster, it can all come crumbling down quickly if multiple injuries take place.

I haven't seen Russell this offseason, nor did I see him play in college. I just like what I am hearing from every single beat writer that I have read about Gary.

lilyoder6
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM
i would keep russell too.. he is here for a low contract which is nice.. and if the FO see's something in him then there might actually be something there

revefsreleets
07-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm high on Russell and have been since day 1. I think it makes a huge difference actually having seen him run in college, too, since RB is a position where you can actually see NFL potential in a college runner. He's cheap and has upside and plays ST and that's EXACTLY what you want as far as depth. I'm thinking Parker, RM, Moore and Russell, with Carey Davis as the FB for this year, and I'm sure they have Russell working at the FB spot for depth, too.

stlrtruck
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I like Russell but to this day I still wonder....why didn't we keep John Kuhn!!!!????

DACEB
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
You mean the guy that flunked out of college?
Mendenhall is more promising.

You mean to tell me the 1st round draft choice is more promising than the UDFA, uh.. that sounds logical (sorry I didn't go to college). Still, Russell has shown us more at the pro level.

Moore also gets paid very little and can contribute now

Moore probably gets paid 5 times as much, and is more than 4 years older. Russell is only 21.

Do you have a link? I hope you are right
He came into the NFL fat and out of shape

Sorry, no time to dig up old link. I'm absolutely right about him coming into camp looking great and 10 lbs heavier. Like I said, the kid is showing himself to be a pro.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying cut any of the others. IMO we keep all four HBs.

BlastFurnace
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
If the kid can play special teams..until he get's his chance...I don't care if he is a RB, WR, DT, DE, LB, etc. Keep him. We need all the help we can get on our Special Teams...because they suck and have for years.

Sharkissle29
07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't want to show Willie the door either, but for someone with his type of build, the shelf life is usually not a long career. Personally, I hope Willie and Mendenhall will team up for many years to come, but as we all saw with Barry Foster, it can all come crumbling down quickly if multiple injuries take place.

I haven't seen Russell this offseason, nor did I see him play in college. I just like what I am hearing from every single beat writer that I have read about Gary.

isnt warrick dunn still playing in the NFL? Just sayin.

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Still, Russell has shown us more at the pro level. . He didnt look that good last year

Moore probably gets paid 5 times as much, and is more than 4 years older. Russell is only 21. . Mewelde is 25 years old which means he is entering his prime years and already has good experience. Moore is a prototypical 3rd down back who can contribute on special teams. That was a great signing IMO

Sorry, no time to dig up old link. I'm absolutely right about him coming into camp looking great and 10 lbs heavier. Like I said, the kid is showing himself to be a pro.
Well i know for a fact Russell was fat and out of shape last year. Hopefully he trained hard in the offseason.

We kept 5 RBs last year so maybe we will again. I for one am really excited to see our top 3 RBs in action

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying cut any of the others. IMO we keep all four HBs.

He came in at a fat 229 lbs...he is now a muscular 215 lbs.....rushed for 1,130yds and 18 TDs in his last year as a gopher...even while splitting carries with Lawrence Maroney...He flunked out of school and waited for his chance in the NFL, but had he put up those type of numbers as a junior or senior he would have been at least a high 2nd round choice.
Rashard had 1681 yards and 17 TD's but didnt have to share caries like Russell/Maroney...so arguments can be made any way you want...the truth of the situation is that we are blessed to have the RB's we do.

BlastFurnace
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
isnt warrick dunn still playing in the NFL? Just sayin.

You can find exceptions to any rule. Warrick Dunn is one of those exceptions. Just like Jerome...usually, running backs his size are long gone by the time he retired.

Willie has a lot of carries under his belt the last 2 years and an injury. There is no denying that.

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
He's cheap and has upside and plays ST and that's EXACTLY what you want as far as depth.

since when does Russell play special teams?

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 12:17 PM
He came in at a fat 229 lbs...he is now a muscular 215 lbs.....rushed for 1,130yds and 18 TDs in his last year as a gopher...even while splitting carries with Lawrence Maroney...He flunked out of school and waited for his chance in the NFL, but had he put up those type of numbers as a junior or senior he would have been at least a high 2nd round choice.
Rashard had 1681 yards and 17 TD's but didnt have to share caries like Russell/Maroney...so arguments can be made any way you want...the truth of the situation is that we are blessed to have the RB's we do.

thanks for the info.

i dont get why he got all out of shape waiting for his NFL chance

glad to see he worked hard and is in shape now

If Davis can improve on his blocking, we are going to have an awesome set of RB's

millwalldavey
07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I'd like to see us carry 4 RB's

We have one who is proven, and a lot of talent that we have yet to see a lot from. It's a nice situation to be in. Youth and talent.

DACEB
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
We kept 5 RBs last year so maybe we will again.

That's all I'm hoping for, is that we keep all 5. I believe they all have great skills.

I for one am really excited to see our top 3 RBs in action

You and me both, brother! I think Moore will be a huge addition on 3rd downs.

DACEB
07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
He came in at a fat 229 lbs...he is now a muscular 215 lbs

Thanks LLT, here's the link guys from a Wexell article.

I see the last backfield spot being contested by Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell. Davenport worked at fullback this weekend, so he has an edge in versatility. But Russell is still only 21 years old and has added 10 solid pounds. He put one slick move on a linebacker in the open field that’s stuck in my memory banks. I wouldn’t cut him. No chance.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/archivesearch/local_story_127235910.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks LLT, here's the link guys from a Wexell article.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/archivesearch/local_story_127235910.html

Wonder if Wexell was saying that he exchanged 10 lbs of fat for muscle...otherwise Russell would have either been down to 205 lbs...or is now back up to 225lbs?

lilyoder6
07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
who cares bout how much he weighs as long as he comes in strong and in good shape and just runs hard

KeiselPower99
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I remember last year people were really high on Russell. Plus Im sure people were wondering if Willie would be able to make the team a second year. Even though I wasnt a Willie Parker fan at first he did grow onto me and I enjoy watchin him play.

Lord Stiller
07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I Plus Im sure people were wondering if Willie would be able to make the team a second year.

really? i dont remember that

Willie started for us game 1 in his second year

St33lersguy
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM

:iagree:

19ward86
07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
im not sure, i think it would be a mistake for us to release any of our backs right now. 5 yrs ago we would be killing to have 1 of these guys on our roster. Bettis was a 4.7 40 powerback and Duce was only running for 500 yds a season. great running tandom but not much depth.

LVSteelersfan
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Willie is one of those small backs who will not last long if they keep running him so much. That broken leg was a portent of things to come because Willie has not learned how to dive forward on the ground like Bettis used to. I wish he would get down or get out of bounds and not take a hit on every single play. That will lead to a short NFL life span if he doesn't learn now. Hopefully Mendenhall will take a lot of that load off Willie.

Preacher
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
You can find exceptions to any rule. Warrick Dunn is one of those exceptions. Just like Jerome...usually, running backs his size are long gone by the time he retired.

Willie has a lot of carries under his belt the last 2 years and an injury. There is no denying that.

I understand what your saying... arguing a cumulative affect on Willie's body.

However, also remember that the pounding most RB's get all through college, Willie didn't. He came to the Steelers with a body that actually took very little beating.

On top of that, this is his FIRST injury. It was an injury that was simply broken bone, which heals completely. It isn't cartilage, muscle, etc. etc. which leaves scar tissue and other stuff that has to be cleaned up, cleaned out, or worked around... either naturally (by the body) or surgically.

So really, body wise, Willie is still VERY fresh... as fresh as probably a second year NFL player.

The Duke
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
So really, body wise, Willie is still VERY fresh... as fresh as probably a second year NFL player.

exactly. he just needs an o line

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
really? i dont remember that

Willie started for us game 1 in his second year

I dont think Parker was a lock to make the roster in his 2nd season when they went to Latrobe. After all, he barely beat Daunte Brown out in the preseason the year before.

When your #3 RB on the depth chart is an UFA from N. Carolina......he's not exactly a lock to make the squad.

Galax Steeler
07-02-2008, 06:15 AM
I dont think Parker was a lock to make the roster in his 2nd season when they went to Latrobe. After all, he barely beat Daunte Brown out in the preseason the year before.

When your #3 RB on the depth chart is an UFA from N. Carolina......he's not exactly a lock to make the squad.

Willie earned the no.1spot it wasnt given to him he was a good fast back and had the moves but he liked the hard nose hitting run you over style of football with Mendenhall I think you are going to see some hard hitting just like when we had Bettis.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Willie earned the no.1spot it wasnt given to him he was a good fast back and had the moves but he liked the hard nose hitting run you over style of football with Mendenhall I think you are going to see some hard hitting just like when we had Bettis.

You missed the point of the post. Somebody posted that they didnt remember that Willie was a question mark to even make the squad in his 2nd season with the Steelers (2004)

I posted that he was in a camp battle with Dante Brown for the final spot in 2004 as the depth chart was already Bettis, Duce, V. Haynes and either Brown or Parker.

Willie didnt earn the start on opening day.....if you remember that game, both Staley and Bettis were on the sidelines and Cowher thought Parker was a better option than Haynes to start.

Here is a report on the 3rd preseason game of 2004 and Parker had a great game, but was by no means set to make the team.

Duce Staley and Dante Brown led the Steelers to a 17-14 halftime lead. Undrafted rookie running back Willie Parker didn't enter the game until the second half, but he scored the game-deciding touchdown in the fourth quarter, finished with 106 yards on 19 carries and is making a strong case for earning a roster spot.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/info/s_244918.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
My bet is yes, we keep 4 RB's. Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell.

We keep 1 FB and unfortunately its the below average blocking Carey Davis.....because there is nobody else in camp to compete with him except a slow, undersized, former LB from Florida.

Steeldude
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
russell didn't appear or move like he was fat last year. he was 215-217 last year. this off-season he has added 10 pounds of good weight. russell is now 225.

too bad trades are rare in the NFL. mendenhall would have some good value.

lilyoder6
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
i don't think u can call davis and below avg blocking fb.. i watched many games on where he blocked better than 50% of the fb's in the league

KeiselPower99
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Since we are looking for an offensive threat at FB I wonder if Larry Centers would come out of retirement for us???

Elvis
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
i don't think u can call davis and below avg blocking fb.. i watched many games on where he blocked better than 50% of the fb's in the league
:doh:
I would rather have a healthy Dan Kreider at FB any day!
Davis just doesnt get to the point of attack quick enough like Kreider used to in my opinion
:helmet:

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
davis is faster than dan.. it was davis 1st yr playing fb 4 us and the learnng is slow esp when we rarely used a fb last yr 4 him to get better at.... i think he'll be a better fb this yr..

Steelman16
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
If you're a fullback...you don't have to be fast. You just have to hit the right hole and beat the crap outta the defender that's defending it. Kreider was a beast at that position.

Davis is learning alot and has potential, so I'm not panning him. I agree he'll be better this year, but Kreider was still the better fullback.

Besides, Dan plays for the Rams. :chuckle:

I'm thinking we do keep 4 runningbacks this year - Parker, Mendenhall, Moore & Russell and Davis at FB.

Boomerang
07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah i reckon we keep 4RB,s and i thinhkMendenhalls contribution will help Wiliie,s game.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm thinking we do keep 4 runningbacks this year - Parker, Mendenhall, Moore & Russell and Davis at FB.

I think your right that will be the backfield this year.