PDA

View Full Version : Rich Rodriguez was "very distraught" in private meeting the night before he resigned

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia University President Mike Garrison said in a deposition that former football coach Rich Rodriguez was "very distraught" in a private meeting the night before he resigned and accepted the top job at Michigan, complaining about harsh public reaction to a lost shot at a national championship.

As part of the $4 million lawsuit the university has filed over a buyout clause in the coach's contract, Garrison testified the two had a tense final meeting Dec. 15 one in which the president admits he may have raised his voice and one in which Rodriguez allegedly put his head in his hands and complained about how difficult his choice was.

A transcript of Garrison's deposition was released late Monday, along with testimony by chief of staff Craig Walker, assistant athletic director Mike Parsons and two members of the WVU Board of Governors.
Garrison also denied in the June proceeding he had misled Rodriguez into signing the contract that was in effect when he quit, disputing assertions he told the coach he didn't believe in and wouldn't enforce buyouts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8301062/President-says-coach-was-distraught-before-resigning

KeiselPower99
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Pay the 4 million and get on with everyones lives. You lost to Pitt and then quit. WAAAAAAAA

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Rich Rod didn't take the PITT game seriously and neither did his kids. His first day at Michigan he didn't indicate that the OSU game was a big deal.

Tressel's first year at OSU he stated clearly his intention to beat Michigan. Rich Rod doesn't take Rivalry games seriously, and that is his major flaw. In college, the Rivalry game is THE game you have to win. Rich doesn't get it at all.

revefsreleets
07-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Rich Rod didn't take the PITT game seriously and neither did his kids. His first day at Michigan he didn't indicate that the OSU game was a big deal.

Tressel's first year at OSU he stated clearly his intention to beat Michigan. Rich Rod doesn't take Rivalry games seriously, and that is his major flaw. In college, the Rivalry game is THE game you have to win. Rich doesn't get it at all.

Ding ding ding! I don't care how good your team is, if you don't take the rivalry game seriously you'll lose the game and you will be shown the door. Look at John Cooper: Dude had the best team in the Country at least twice, didn't get his kids up for the Michigan game (Hell, they blew it against MSU one year) and fell flat on his face. In fact, it's surprising he lasted as long as he did in Columbus.

If he doesn't take the Buckeyes game seriously, especially this year, the Buckeyes will beat the piss out of the Wolverines...which won't bother me one bit, of course, but hardly does anything to rekindle the increasingly one-sided affair OSU-Michigan is fast becoming.

millwalldavey
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
As a Wolverines fan, he better take everything seriously. I really think they may lose about 6-7 games this year with the depleted talent. PSU may actually be able to beat them this year.

I just do not like this guy.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
if rich cant beat OSU, dont worry the Michigan alumni and boosters will run him out of ann arbor.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
if rich cant beat OSU, dont worry the Michigan alumni and boosters will run him out of ann arbor.

By the end of this year.

If Rich does once again not take a rivalry game seriously, I know 2 losses on Michigan's schedule already. (Penn State and Ohio State). Penn State has been very close to beating Michigan in the recent battles Since the 2002 game leading up to the last 2 year break and resumption in 2005 by losing by a combined 17 points. Penn State hasn't had there behinds kicked around truely by Michigan since the 2001 game. Penn State I bet you will be up for this game if they continue to prepare like they have had for Michigan or even better. Sure Penn State has no returning QB, but neither does Michigan. Penn State's big difference is that 18 out of 22 starters from the 2007 season are back this year.

I do expect Michigan to attempt to give PSU a game, but if Rich Rod does not throw everything including the kitchen sink at Penn State, pretty good shot Michigan fans will be reliving 1996 again.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 03:21 PM
penn state sucks.. we all know that:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
if rich cant beat OSU, dont worry the Michigan alumni and boosters will run him out of ann arbor.and how many chances will he get? OSU is gonna put a serious ass whoopin on michican this year. infact, i see michigan takin a lot of ass whoopins this year. hiring rodriques set thier program back years. just look how many players left because he was hired.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 03:34 PM
i agree. i didnt want him hired. i wanted english.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Right now he has no team. No QB, no RB...couldn't get Prior and doesn't have someone who can run his system.

Ohio State is going to absolutley kill scUM this year. Welcome to The Game Rich, this is what it will routinley be like for your entire stay at TSUN.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2008, 04:06 PM
penn state sucks.. we all know that:chuckle:

34-32

You Michiganders know that. Sure ya beat us 9 straight, but when did PSU last lose to a I-AA team. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
34-32

You Michiganders know that. Sure ya beat us 9 straight, but when did PSU last lose to a I-AA team. :sofunny: MU fans better get all the jabs in they can now, there'll be no oppurtunities for years to come.....
MU FANS NOW >:flap:
MU FANS ONCE THE SEASON STARTS >:crying01:

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
34-32

You Michiganders know that. Sure ya beat us 9 straight, but when did PSU last lose to a I-AA team. :sofunny:

well i will have to say on Sept 6, i wont be pulling for Michigan :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
well i will have to say on Sept 6, i wont be pulling for Michigan :chuckle:

You're a Miami (Ohio) fan now?

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
You're a Miami (Ohio) fan now?

i am doing it to aggravate my son...lol.. i was picking on him and told him that i was going to pull for miami and he started agruing with me about so, since we will be going to the game i thought i would pull for them...

but we will be waiting for you oct 18,2008.......do i need to go ahead and send you some tissue:wink02:.. you know i love ya steelman :hug:

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
i am doing it to aggravate my son...lol.. i was picking on him and told him that i was going to pull for miami and he started agruing with me about so, since we will be going to the game i thought i would pull for them...

but we will be waiting for you oct 18,2008.......do i need to go ahead and send you some tissue:wink02:.. you know i love ya steelman :hug:

Well TMB, FYI, I think we'll be waiting for you to arrive at what will be known as the Big House for the next 2 years.

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Well TMB, FYI, I think we'll be waiting for you to arrive at what will be known as the Big House for the next 2 years.
lol.. we will have to see....:wink02:

revefsreleets
07-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Out of respect for the days when there was a real rivalry, I do believe it's "UM", not MU.

University of Michigan, not Michigan University.

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Out of respect for the days when there was a real rivalry, I do believe it's "UM", not MU.

University of Michigan, not Michigan University.UM = U niversity of M aryland :chuckle:

trish
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Can't wait to see Michigan once again get stomped by OSU. I have OSU season tiks and the game is home this year..I always hate when we have to travel to Mich. when it's there...yuch!

Also, even if Terrell doesn't play this year..I love that Michigan has to watch him sitting on our bench..thinking "there is the guy who set our program back 3 years".

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 12:24 AM
i agree. i didnt want him hired. i wanted english.

Me too.

LOL... PSU fans are still trying to justify losing 9 years straight by bringing up App St. If UM is so terrible, why can't PSU beat them? They may not this year!

PSU fans every saturday win or lose = :crying02:
I've never heard a team get ripped off so much! According to fans around hee theyd be undefeated for the last 25 years, but they get screwed every game somehow!

revefsreleets
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
UM = U niversity of M aryland :chuckle:

I didn't know they had a football team at that basketball school:sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
07-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Me too.

LOL... PSU fans are still trying to justify losing 9 years straight by bringing up App St. If UM is so terrible, why can't PSU beat them? They may not this year!

PSU fans every saturday win or lose = :crying02:
I've never heard a team get ripped off so much! According to fans around hee theyd be undefeated for the last 25 years, but they get screwed every game somehow!

millwall, it's called giving yourself a bright side. I was not trying to justify it.

I'm not crying if we win. I'm enjoying the fact the PSU won. I am feeling down when PSU does lose, but hey, that's why ya get back up and fight again. One more reason Michigan ended strong after falling against Appy State and Oregon. They got back up and fought again. If they weren't willing to fight on even after those 2 losses, pretty good shot Michigan could have missed a bowl game.

I don't always agree with the whiners. Sure Penn State gets ripped off on plays, but doesn't every other team in the rest of the country? Not all plays are going to go in your direction during the course of a game. If you are not willing to attempt to overcome them, you don't deserve to win the game.

For instance, Penn State was ripped those extra 2 seconds in the 2005 game against Michigan, but did they do anything to overcome it? No. Michigan still won. It was a matter of trying to hold a guy up for one more second so the timeout could not have been made or on the pass that won it, actually covering Manningdouchebag.

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
yes they have a pretty good football team

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
yup.... and even have a national title under thier belts......:hatsoff:

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
yes they have a pretty good football team

they do ??? :huh:

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
they do ??? :huh:
well, they are better than duke :chuckle:

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
well, they are better than duke :chuckle:

Duke has a football team?

(LOL my friend played football there in the 90's...)

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
well they put a bunch of rich kids on a football field and call it a team. they havent had a decent team since spurrier left.

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
dukes football program is a joke. they make no effort to even try to be competetive. here's a good article on it......
Duke, stop this charade......
http://www.newsobserver.com/769/story/493554.html
The program has become nothing more than an excuse to spend lots of money on facilities, scholarships, coaching salaries, support staff, travel, stadium upkeep and many other related areas. In college football, losing is an expensive ordeal, and that's especially the case at private schools.

The good news is Duke doesn't care about the steady financial drain. There's that much money in the endowment fund. Most schools try to raise donations by the millions. Duke rakes it in by the billions. The football program can be compared to owners of some professional sports franchises. It's an expensive hobby, but so what?

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 09:01 AM
dukes football program is a joke. they make no effort to even try to be competetive. here's a good article on it......

you are so right about that. i dont even know why they put a team on the field. they get laughed at.

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Duke has no business in the ACC as a football program. None. They ruin that conference for football. They should be independent so they can play Buffalo, Temple, Amy and Navy every year and throw in some Sun Belt teams to finish out the schedule.

Louisville actually tried to sue Duke in a court of law because Duke backed out of a contract to play them 4 times. Duke argued that any team, in Div I football would be a suitable replacement, because Duke argued, they are that bad in football, anyone could fill up the schedule for Louisville and it wouldn't be a loss.

When you're own lawyers argue you are so bad in football that the other team can find ANY other team to play as a replacement, then dang it, you are a bad team.

You can't make this stuff up people:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080619/SPORTS02/80619051

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Duke has no business in the ACC as a football program. None. They ruin that conference for football. They should be independent so they can play Buffalo, Temple, Amy and Navy every year and throw in some Sun Belt teams to finish out the schedule.

]

It's been proposed by some that the program should be dropped down to the NCAA's Division I-AA. If being more competitive becomes important, going I-AA makes some sense. At least it would be a reasonable refuge if Duke really wants to have a program.

Whether the 11 other ACC schools would allow Duke to play I-AA in football and remain a conference member for all other sports is debatable. But I wouldn't bet against it at this point. As long as Mike Krzyzewski is coaching, the ACC needs Duke basketball and the money it generates. A compromise could be worked out.

Besides, moving down in football probably would be the best move for everyone. It's obvious that Duke is hurting ACC football, and ACC football -- weak as it may be -- is is only putting Duke in a progressively more hopeless situation.

The league would have to find a 12th member for football-only purposes, but that could be done. Lots of schools would jump at the opportunity. Duke couldn't share in the football revenue, but it still could schedule nonconference games against North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
It's been proposed by some that the program should be dropped down to the NCAA's Division I-AA. If being more competitive becomes important, going I-AA makes some sense. At least it would be a reasonable refuge if Duke really wants to have a program.

Whether the 11 other ACC schools would allow Duke to play I-AA in football and remain a conference member for all other sports is debatable. But I wouldn't bet against it at this point. As long as Mike Krzyzewski is coaching, the ACC needs Duke basketball and the money it generates. A compromise could be worked out.

Besides, moving down in football probably would be the best move for everyone. It's obvious that Duke is hurting ACC football, and ACC football -- weak as it may be -- is is only putting Duke in a progressively more hopeless situation.

The league would have to find a 12th member for football-only purposes, but that could be done. Lots of schools would jump at the opportunity. Duke couldn't share in the football revenue, but it still could schedule nonconference games against North Carolina, N.C. State and Wake Forest.

that makes good sense, if the basketball team could stay. but i doubt they would do that. and besides all the other ACC teams need at least one guarteened win..lol:chuckle:

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Too bad Rich Fraud didn't choke on those tears...

I hope he loses every game and that OSU beats them 80-0. I'd even root for the Shittany Cryin's against them.

Godfather
07-04-2008, 03:43 PM

University of Michigan, not Michigan University.

We have stuff like that in the South too. A&M fans call Texas t.u. instead of UT...Texas fans like to respond that it's neither funny nor insulting, just stupid.

We also have a University of Louisiana controversy. USL formally changed its name to UL-Lafayette ten years ago, but they always de-empahasize the Lafayette part. That irritates three other schools--Tulane, which is the actual University of Louisiana; LSU, which as the state flagship is the target of USL's penis envy; and UL-Monroe, which doesn't like being portrayed as a branch campus of USL when they're equals.

SteelCityMan786
07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Too bad Rich Fraud didn't choke on those tears...

I hope he loses every game and that OSU beats them 80-0. I'd even root for the Shittany Cryin's against them.

R. Rod I think is doomed to fail at Michigan for at least a couple of years unless he can a good QB rolling as well as some decent receivers. He does not have the tools to do well like he had at WVU. I'm sure every Mountaineer will stick there birds at him when WVU is rolling over the Big East Football Conference like they usually do and Michigan is barely treading water. (Whenever that year comes.)

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
We have stuff like that in the South too. A&M fans call Texas t.u. instead of UT...Texas fans like to respond that it's neither funny nor insulting, just stupid.

We also have a University of Louisiana controversy. USL formally changed its name to UL-Lafayette ten years ago, but they always de-empahasize the Lafayette part. That irritates three other schools--Tulane, which is the actual University of Louisiana; LSU, which as the state flagship is the target of USL's penis envy; and UL-Monroe, which doesn't like being portrayed as a branch campus of USL when they're equals.

No chance of that happening in Columbus...that's why the players say "THE Ohio State Buckeyes"...