PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 AFC North Newcomers

CantStop85
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Top-10 NFL Newcomers: AFC North
by Ryan McNickle (Scribe)
June 30, 2008

My look at the top-10 newcomers, division-by-division, moves on to the AFC North.

Enjoy!

1. Corey Williams—Cleveland Browns

I could have gone in a lot of directions here, but the 27-year old end/tackle Williams is a tremendous upgrade on the Browns defensive line.

The 6'4''-313-pound Williams, who has 14 sacks over the last two years, will have to be a major catalyst for Cleveland if they wish to build on a strong '07 season.

2. Joe Flacco—Baltimore Ravens

While I do not think that Flacco is as talented or as "NFL-ready" as other first-day selections Matt Ryan, Chad Henne and Brian Brohm, he is an upgrade over Kyle Boller who has been a monumental disappointment.

The biggest thing new coach John Harbaugh had to do was come in and move away from Boller and, though I don't agree with his selection, he has done that.

3. Shaun Rodgers—Cleveland Browns

I have Rodgers listed here for many of the same reasons that I had his new teammate Williams listed at number one.

Rodgers is a another huge upgrade for the Browns at the defensive tackle position and, if he can stay healthy and motivated, I believe that Rodgers can become a major force again.

4. Rashard Mendenhall—Pittsburgh Steelers

Just when I thought the Steelers couldn't get anymore scary they draft the dangerous runner Mendenhall, an absolute steal at number twenty-three.

He and Willie Parker will be one of the most dynamic backfield tandems in the conference and will open up the passing game for "Big Ben".

This is not good news for me as a New England fan.

5. Keith Rivers—Cincinnati Bengals

Who better to help turn around a struggling team with a lack of discipline and a nose for trouble than two-time national championship winner Keith Rivers.

Rivers is not only an exceptional linebacker on the field, but also a high character guy off of it. He will bring toughness and stability to Cincinnati's struggling defense.

6. Ray Rice—Baltimore Ravens

Rice, the 5'9'' runner out of Rutgers University, has a real chance to do some damage his rookie year.

Rice, a second round pick, will obviously not start ahead of workhorse Willis McGahee, but I believe that the two of them together can eventually become the Taylor/Jones-Drew combo of the north.

7. Jerome Simpson/Andre Caldwell—Cincinnati Bengals

With Chad Johnson upset and a major question mark, rookie receivers Simpson and Caldwell will more than likely have to step their game up and contribute to the offense early if the Bengals have any postseason hopes.

While both reached the NFL through very different paths, I believe that they both will become viable options for Carson Palmer in the passing game this year.

8. Justin Hartwig—Pittsburgh Steelers

An "under-the-radar" signee by the Steelers, Hartwig will be the starter at center on opening day against Houston. A former Carolina Panther, Hartwig will add experience and a playoff pedigree to an already solid offensive line.

9. Limas Sweed—Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger asked management for a bigger target at wide receiver and got one in the 6'5'' 219-pound former Longhorn.

Sweed, another of the Steelers second round picks, should come in right away and compete against Nate Washington for that third receiver spot.

I am really not looking forward to the Patriots-Steelers game.

10. Fabian Washington—Baltimore Ravens

We round out our top-10 here with a guy who, in the last two years, has amassed 80 tackles, five interceptions and a forced fumble, despite not being a full-time starter.

Still only 25 years old, Washington looks like he will mostly play at the nickel for the Ravens, but with aging starters Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle ahead of him, look for the former Raider to make an positive impact for the Baltimore defensive in 2008.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/33848-top-10-nfl-newcomers-afc-north

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

An "under-the-radar" signee by the Steelers, Hartwig will be the starter at center on opening day against Houston. A former Carolina Panther, Hartwig will add experience and a playoff pedigree to an already solid offensive line.

.................:toofunny:

millwalldavey
07-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Well... the guy is a self-admitted Pats fan.... he can't know that much about football can he?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM

I thought you "built through the draft"? ;)

millwalldavey
07-01-2008, 01:03 PM

The Steelers build through the draft and now and then add peices they think will help via free agency. They never break the bank on high priced players, just shore up the ranks.

It seems to work very well for us. A Cleveland fan wouldn;t recognize success if it bit them in the nose.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
The Steelers build through the draft and now and then add peices they think will help via free agency. They never break the bank on high priced players, just shore up the ranks.

It seems to work very well for us. A Cleveland fan wouldn;t recognize success if it bit them in the nose.

:P.

Uh..I could argue the Browns did the same thing. Joe Thomas, Braylon, Kellen were all major parts of the O, and were drafted. Same with parts of the D. Last year we didn't "bank" on free agents...Jamal just showed up and had a running game going..and steinbech played well. Both were proven athletes and played as such. In fact, I may argue that plugging in a player from the draft is a bigger risk then finding a proven player in the offseason. Maybe Phil was smart in his thinking that rather and waste his time on a devolping a player on the d-line with a team he think can win now, Maybe it'll hurt us in the long run? Maybe not..as having proven leaders on a team can help devolpe younger talent on a team.

lilyoder6
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
. Limas Sweed—Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger asked management for a bigger target at wide receiver and got one in the 6'5'' 219-pound former Longhorn.

Sweed, another of the Steelers second round picks, should come in right away and compete against Nate Washington for that third receiver spot.

thats funny coming from a pats fan

but on cle.. i liked the williams and stallworth pick-up... but w/ rogers u take the risk of him being over weight again and not rly motivated... but we'll find out soon enough if phil made the right choices come season time

The Duke
07-01-2008, 02:58 PM

with the pats weak corners I am looking forward to the steelers - pats game. like he said, mendenhall and willie open up the passing game for ben, and then the receivers destroy their corners, especially the giant sweed. it all depends on the oline....

hopefully this year they finally beat the pats :tt02:

Rodgers is a another huge upgrade for the Browns at the defensive tackle position and, if he can stay healthy and motivated, I believe that Rodgers can become a major force again.

those are big ifs. but I think he'll be good, just not a major force

St33lersguy
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I guess when you're a Patriot fan giving up 47 sacks and losing your best OL to free agency= solid

millwalldavey
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
:P.

Uh..I could argue the Browns did the same thing. Joe Thomas, Braylon, Kellen were all major parts of the O, and were drafted. Same with parts of the D. Last year we didn't "bank" on free agents...Jamal just showed up and had a running game going..and steinbech played well. Both were proven athletes and played as such. In fact, I may argue that plugging in a player from the draft is a bigger risk then finding a proven player in the offseason. Maybe Phil was smart in his thinking that rather and waste his time on a devolping a player on the d-line with a team he think can win now, Maybe it'll hurt us in the long run? Maybe not..as having proven leaders on a team can help devolpe younger talent on a team.

The Browns hit the market a bit hard this year though..

UK CANDY BEE
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
That was a pretty good list.

Before the season is over, you might be adding Martin Rucker to it !!

At which point, we'll see if Winslow's team attitude during the offseason was just for show !!

lilyoder6
07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
rucker has to learn how to play by a tackle 1st

Galax Steeler
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
He is not looking forward to the steelers patriots game because they can't cheat this time.

KeiselPower99
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I like the list. Ray Rice to Baltimore is something Im not lookin forward too. The Browns signed 3 overrated payers and everyoneinside Cuyahoga Cty is drinkin the Koolaid. Too bad that same Koolaid isthe stuff the Indians drank too.

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM

You build the core of your team through the draft, like Ben, Ward, Miller, Holmes, Troy, Taylor, Hampton, Harrison,

then you add pieces, like Hartwig.

Jeff Hartings was our center for a few years too, he came from the Lions originally.