PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Needed To Convert

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
One of the reasons the Steelers released Najeh Davenport was because they were one of the worse teams in the NFL in converting third down and one. And Davenport was the their short yardage back. To make a long run in the play offs, you have to convert the third and shorts most of the time Those critical plays are what allow you to maintain the ball, and not place your defense in a potentially bad situation. When Jerome Bettis was handiing this phase of the game of the Steelers, he was able to win most every third down play and even when the play was not blocked well, he was able to make someone miss and get the first down. Davenport in spite of being a big back, never ran with the power of a big back.

Rashad Mendenhall will handle this chore now and for the Steelers, it will be critical to make those tough yards.

Too bad Mendenhall will be little better than Davenport for the next 2 years and possibly never will.

http://www.lombardionfootball.com/2008/06/steelers-needed-to-convert.html

The Duke
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
gary russell or mendenhall. whichever becomes the short yardage back has to work a lot. I'm hoping russell does it, I'd like to see that kid be good

Too bad Mendenhall will be little better than Davenport for the next 2 years and possibly never will.

:huh: why exactly?

MasterOfPuppets
07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
gary russell or mendenhall. whichever becomes the short yardage back has to work a lot. I'm hoping russell does it, I'd like to see that kid be good

yeah !!! WTF ???

fansince'76
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Our Oline needs to grow some stones, get nasty and start blowing teams off the ball again, for one. The RB can be a mix of Jim Brown and Earl Campbell, but if he's getting hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield on a consistent basis, 3rd-and-1s become 4th-and-4s more often than not.

MACH1
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Our Oline needs to grow some stones, get nasty and start blowing teams off the ball again, for one. The RB can be a mix of Jim Brown and Earl Campbell, but if he's getting hit 2-3 yards in the backfield on a consistent basis, 3rd-and-1s become 4th-and-4s more often than not.

Yep. It starts with the big guys up front. The thing I noticed about dookie was he ran standing up to much. Which makes it easier to arm tackle.

Dino 6 Rings
07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Well we'll get a good test of our Running Game week 1 against the newly revamped D-Line of the Houston Texans. That'll be the first test.

I'd like 160 yards rushing in that game total. Set the bar high.

NJarhead
07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Verron Haynes used to be good at converting 3rd down (usually on swing passes and delay's). I'm sure we'll be alright.

HometownGal
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Our Oline needs to grow some stones, get nasty and start blowing teams off the ball again, for one. The RB can be a mix of Jim Brown and Earl Campbell, but if he's getting hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield on a consistent basis, 3rd-and-1s become 4th-and-4s more often than not.

B - 7
I - 25
N - 39
G - 60
O - 74

:thumbsup:

rich4eagle
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Najeh was er najeh...............no big loss smart move

Preacher
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
B - 7
I - 25
N - 39
G - 60
O - 74

:chuckle:

BINGO!!!

Ohhh.. Did I get the ten-speed? Please Please tell me I did!! :rofl:

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Well we'll get a good test of our Running Game week 1 against the newly revamped D-Line of the Houston Texans. That'll be the first test.

I'd like 160 yards rushing in that game total. Set the bar high.

but..but...but they have the 6th best player in the NFL......:rofl:(mario williams)

Hammer Of The GODS
07-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Verron Haynes used to be good at converting 3rd down (usually on swing passes and delay's). I'm sure we'll be alright.

Man was he ever underrated! I wish he could have avoided injury. He was excellent at those 3rd downs. Guy had heart and was a team player for sure! I think Mendy is goona be a more elusive version of Verron! :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Davenport had some good games but it was like someone stated above it just seemed like he would hit the line and fall down he didn't have the drive in his feet.

DACEB
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I believe it will be RushHard that ends up with short-yardage duties, on run plays. I think Arians can have a bigger impact than anyone though, offensive line included, on converting 3rd and short.

I'm looking for better play calling this season, and more deception. I'm not talking trick play deception. I'm talking about lining up in similar sets, and personell, and being able to run or pass from the same look. It was talked about at the beginning of the season, but IMO it was still pretty obvious when they were going to throw or run.

I would still like to see the three TE sets utilized the way Arians invisions them. There are alot of short-yardage options in the three TE set. Yet it seemed like a predictable run that was stuffed every time we got into 3rd and short last year.

I'm anticipating that another year together in the system for Arians, Ben, Davis, Miller and Spaeth will bring better execution and more options. The addition of RushHard and Moore should open up more options as well.

vasteeler
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Man was he ever underrated! I wish he could have avoided injury. He was excellent at those 3rd downs. Guy had heart and was a team player for sure! I think Mendy is goona be a more elusive version of Verron! :thumbsup:

maybe its just me but i dont really remember verron doing much at all

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
i remember reading that he use to be bn's roommate on the road.. didnt that count for something :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Funny, I dont remember the RB's being hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield consistently last season. IF they were, then Parker is the greatest RB of all time, since he was leading the league in rushing despite giving up 2 yards on every carry as you have noted.

Basically was the same O line as last year except for Mahan and an injured Marvel Smith. The problem is when you have a lousy blocking 225lb FB, blocking for a 240 lb RB in Davenport, who has no forward lean.....you will not get the tough yards.

Mendenhall runs with a great forward lean, power and leg drive. I say on short yardage we use a reserve O lineman for a FB like Mahan, Starks, Stapleton......since Carey Davis cant block.

Dino 6 Rings
07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I look forward to some pro set formations with Mendenhall and Parker in the backfield at the same time. I hope this kid from Illinois can get the job done. I'm so excited about our offense next season.

moedap
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Basically was the same O line as last year except for Mahan and an injured Marvel Smith. The problem is when you have a lousy blocking 225lb FB, blocking for a 240 lb RB in Davenport, who has no forward lean.....you will not get the tough yards.

Mendenhall runs with a great forward lean, power and leg drive. I say on short yardage we use a reserve O lineman for a FB like Mahan, Starks, Stapleton......since Carey Davis cant block.

Disagree with the analysis on Carey Davis. He is just faster than Kreider was and as a result he was often in on the second level(LB's) before FWP got to the LOS. However he did put a helmet on those LB's its just the LB he put the helmet on wasnt the LB to make the tackle. My point: IT was a matter of his timing more than it was about his ability to BLOCK. Plus Bettis never plowed anyone over on a consistent basis. He had the ability to read the blocks and at the very last second fake out the LBs closing gaps to find the crease he could push through(a talent FWP does not have).

CanadianSteel
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Stated this in some other threads, absolutley hated Dookie as the short yardage back. Not only did he run high for a big man, as was mentioned, he always seemed to want to do a spin move rather than try to push for the extra yard on contact.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Disagree with the analysis on Carey Davis. He is just faster than Kreider was and as a result he was often in on the second level(LB's) before FWP got to the LOS. However he did put a helmet on those LB's its just the LB he put the helmet on wasnt the LB to make the tackle.

Absolutely incorrect.

1. you are saying that Carey Davis gets to the 2nd level before FWP gets to the LOS???. Purely impossible that Carey Davis lines up 3 yds ahead of FWP and outruns him anywhere. You are essentially saying that Davis is faster than Parker.

2. You say he put a helmet on somebody. Another myth. Davis often appears so confused on who to block that he often blocks nobody or gets only a piece of somebody.

The only reason Davis appears to be in the 2nd level so fast is that he often neglects to make the initial block and instead runs downfield looking for somebody and by then the tackle has been made.

Anybody that has coached RB's or followed their FB in the hole knows that they are waiting for the FB to engage the defender and turn him, then "run off the blockers backside". Davis' problem is his backside is running downfield and the guy he's supposed to block has already tackled the RB. As a blocker .....Carey Davis is well below average!

Contrary to what many think, lead blockers are supposed to hit the first unblocked man they see......not lead so that the RB can run behind them. Kreider hits people, Davis runs with the belief that FWP is somehow "drafting" him like in NASCAR.

FordsnSteelers
07-03-2008, 01:59 AM
I think Davis is just a lil scared. When i first played football, i knew what to do but drew mental blocks (too scared to upset coach, but did anyways) Davis may be a good FB eventually, but not now. Willies time is almost up. He will soon be the #2 back before Rashard signs his 2nd contract. Its not a bad thing, its just speed isnt everything, Dont get me wrong, Willie is my fav running back, but i think Rashard is gonna bring TDs and durability to the table AND a shitload of yards.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
If Carey Davis is "scared" as you say, then he better go find the tennis courts where there is less pressure and contact. He's a RB that is learning to block and sucks at it. Mewelde Moore is honestly a better blocker.

The great thing about 2 good RB's is that when one is ready for his next BIG contract, you can let him test the market and goto your other horse. If Mendenhall does develop, Parker will probably be here until the end of his current contract.

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
if davis is so "scared" and so "horrible" then how his he playing in the nfl?? he is good enough to play fb 4 us and like evrypne else he'll get better w/ the yrs to come...

NJarhead
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM

Nah, he converted more third down attempts than he didn't.

Steelman16
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't think Davis is "scared". He's just "learning". :wink02:

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
i just remembered i thought according to statistics that davenport had a better ypc than willie did?? lol

Steelman16
07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
i just remembered i thought according to statistics that davenport had a better ypc than willie did?? lol

Yup. Much good that means, eh?

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, here we go again. Yet another thread where all the posters know more than the coaches and staff.

Carey Davis stayed and Dan Kreider went for a reason. It's not like DK had some huge bloated contract or was 50 years old or something. I'm sure Davis has worked on his technique (just like Parker had to do...that dude couldn't throw a block to save his life a few years ago, and now he's at least serviceable in protection). More importantly, he can catch out of the backfield, has some moves in open space, and is a much better running FB should we ever, you know, actually hand the ball off the FB.

ricksteelers55
07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I dont think we have time for a 28 yrs old FB who is ''learning'' his position what so ever.

I mean We had one of the best blocking FB in the game and we just let him go.

Seriously there is NO reason for us to have let big Dan go.We wanted to keep Russell last year then fine cut Davis and let Russell ''learn'' the position at least he is 21 and have more football left in the tank than Davis.And then we keep Kreider as the goal line FB.

That is the only thing I dont like about coach Tomlin is that he seems to not only bring ''his guys'' but also giving them jobs over some players that always played well for us(Davis over Kreider and Mahan over Chucki)

I understand that he wanted to have a ''more versatile'' FB last year but honestly ....104 all purpose yds for Davis is it really more versatile ?

here is what the backfield should be like

RB: Parker
Mendenhall
Russell

FB: Moore

Goodbye Davis

NJarhead
07-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I dont think we have time for a 28 yrs old FB who is ''learning'' his position what so ever.

I mean We had one of the best blocking FB in the game and we just let him go.

Seriously there is NO reason for us to have let big Dan go.We wanted to keep Russell last year then fine cut Davis and let Russell ''learn'' the position at least he is 21 and have more football left in the tank than Davis.And then we keep Kreider as the goal line FB.

That is the only thing I dont like about coach Tomlin is that he seems to not only bring ''his guys'' but also giving them jobs over some players that always played well for us(Davis over Kreider and Mahan over Chucki)

I understand that he wanted to have a ''more versatile'' FB last year but honestly ....104 all purpose yds for Davis is it really more versatile ?

here is what the backfield should be like

RB: Parker
Mendenhall
Russell

FB: Moore

Goodbye Davis

I don't think Moore is built for run blocking.

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
i don't think moore has the body to be a fb... and if dan was so good then how did he not beat out davis in pre-season?

NJarhead
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM
i don't think moore has the body to be a fb...
:iagree:

and if dan was so good then how did he not beat out davis in pre-season?

I think Davis was the better runner/reciever out of the back field. The new regime wants more versital weapons on offense whereas the old one revolved around pounding the ball (where DK would have beaten out any FB in the NFL).

X-Terminator
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I think Davis was the better runner/reciever out of the back field. The new regime wants more versital weapons on offense whereas the old one revolved around pounding the ball (where DK would have beaten out any FB in the NFL).

And that's the bottom line. As much as many Steelers fans want to whine and bitch and cry about Kreider being let go, the fact of the matter is that he does not fit the offensive scheme that the Steelers are running. A big, slow, one-dimensional FB just will not work - he has to be able to block, run and catch the ball on occasion. Kreider did well at only one of those.

That said, Davis needs to be able to block more effectively, and hopefully he will. Plenty of RBs were horrible blockers early in their careers and ended up being very good at it, so I'm not going to give up on him just yet.

ShutDown24
07-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't think Moore is built for run blocking.

At a very generous listing of 5'10 and hardly 200 LBs at his last playing weight, Moore was the ultra finesse back for Minnesota. While I don't put a lot of stock in size and don't like to doubt anyone's abilities, no doubt, Moore is no fullback.

Steelman16
07-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Moore is definitely not a fullback. He'd have a sorer butt than Big Ben come Monday if he played fullback. He'd be a waste there. I'd take Davis anyday.

As I said before, Kreider plays for the Rams now. We have Davis to play fullback, and play fullback he will, unless something drastic happens in camp.

If I'm not mistaken, last year was Davis' first as a starting fullback? Even if that's not the case, he (or at least I noticed) he became a bit more proficient as the season wore on. Maybe not Dan standards, but give the man time to learn to block correctly. One year under the belt usually does wonders for any position. We have a lot of second year players/starters this year, and I think it will be fun to watch.

:tt02:

Galax Steeler
07-04-2008, 07:53 AM
I have to agree Moore does not have the frame to be a fullback I say keep Davis.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Moore is a strong runner that will pickup the blitz on passing downs and has good blocking technique, but not the size.

Davis does nothing good, but a lot of things average like running, receiving, blocking, special teams. Again, at 225lbs, he is outweighed by most ILB's by 20-30 lbs.

The fact that the only FB's on the roster are Carey Davis and Billy Latsko means the Steelers are willing to "Accept Mediocrity" at a position vitally important to convert on 3rd and short running the ball.

The sad thing is this means Arians short yardage offense will likely consist of going 5 wide, spreading the field and throwing like he did in Cleveland and Indianapolis. Both places where he piled up big yards, but couldnt win in the playoffs.

Aussie_steeler
07-05-2008, 05:49 AM
The fact that the only FB's on the roster are Carey Davis and Billy Latsko means the Steelers are willing to "Accept Mediocrity" at a position vitally important to convert on 3rd and short running the ball.

OK Gonz, I going to ask a question that might be considered totally stupid but I would like a serious answer giving explanation.

I have often thought what other positions could possibly translate to blocking FB if desperately needed? A 4-3 DE is expected to rush at a blocker and try to shed him in order to gain penetration. Whilst reading the discussion about the FB position I keep asking myself is how would a guy like Lamaar Woodley at 6'2 265lbs handle the occasional short yardage situation?

I know that it is a specific skill to be a blocking fullback but what other positions might translate well to blocking FB if desperately needed.

I am not suggesting a full time role but if your FB got injured who could you turn too to get the job done?

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Aussie, I think that you will more often see a TE playing FB than any other position.

Sheding a block and holding a block are two totally different thinks.

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM
well boomer grisgby or w/e his last name is was an exception.. he was lb and turn fb by the cheifs.. now he has bulked up to 255 and will be blocking 4 ronnie brown.. we'll see how good he'll be this yr w/ a yr under his belt as a fb

slashsteel
07-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Davis was said to be our best pass blocking FB as Kreider was our best run blocking FB. I do think Davis will improve as a run blocker. I think he is adequate now. And like a few said he is learning........................

Aussie_steeler
07-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Aussie, I think that you will more often see a TE playing FB than any other position.

Sheding a block and holding a block are two totally different thinks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I know that it is a specific skill to be a blocking fullback but what other positions might translate well to blocking FB if desperately needed.

I am not suggesting a full time role but if your FB got injured who could you turn too to get the job done?

Interesting point Aussie. I think a LB, but preferably a shorter one in the 5-10" range, with strong lower body could translate into a blocking FB in a pinch.

A block involves getting your helmet under the defenders helmet, delivering a blow, placing hands on the defenders numbers near the chestplate and driving the feet methodically with a wide stance and turning the defender out of the hole.

A LB trying to bull rush uses the same helmet and hand position, but usually not as wide of a stance, because he wants speed, but then pops the O lineman up and trys to shed him to get to the QB.

Its true a TE already has the technique, but its tough for a 6'7 guy like Spaeth to get lower than a 6'1" LB like Ray Lewis.....and the low man wins in blocking. Its why you see TE's blocking get more of a "stalemate" on defenders, but lower powerful guys like Lorenzo Neal, Dan Kreider, Mack Strong can put guys on their back.

lilyoder6
07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
A block involves getting your helmet under the defenders helmet, delivering a blow, placing hands on the defenders numbers near the chestplate and driving the feet methodically with a wide stance and turning the defender out of the hole

^^^
how many times does a perfect block actually happen??

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
^^^
how many times does a perfect block actually happen??

Its the same question as "How often does the perfect golf shot happen?" Does it mean you then shouldn't go to the driving range??

No such thing as "perfect" IMO. The point is.......the more often you practice proper footwork, hand placement and something called "fit" in blocking, then the more likely you are to consistently make "effective" blocks.

Once in a while, it all comes together and you pancake or de-cleat a guy with a textbook block. Let me tell you.....MAN IT FEELS GOOD!!!

lilyoder6
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
yeah i know i have destroyed the qb a few times (i play olb) lol... i rly don't block much as a play def.. but i had a few good knock-out blocks on punt return..

Texasteel
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Its true a TE already has the technique, but its tough for a 6'7 guy like Spaeth to get lower than a 6'1" LB like Ray Lewis.....and the low man wins in blocking. Its why you see TE's blocking get more of a "stalemate" on defenders, but lower powerful guys like Lorenzo Neal, Dan Kreider, Mack Strong can put guys on their back.

True if you are trying to blow open a hole a TE may have trouble getting it done, but if you are pass blocking or just trying to seal the end of the line a stalemate often times is all you need. I was thinking that Aussie was talking about a temporary or situational position change, I guess I misunderstood him.

You have a real good point about the LBers, it seems that I have seen several high school FBs that project as LBs in collage so they may have been use to blocking at some point, but the best blocking FB is probable a FB. :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, my whole issue with converting 3rd and short yardage is that 1. Davis isnt a good blocker. 2. Davis is undersized for a FB. 3. Our TE's are not good inline lead blockers.

The Bruce Arians school of short yardage is spread the field and either run a single back or throw for the first down. The higher percentage play is bring in your goal line offense and line up in the "I formation".

Billy Latsko or Carey Davis as FB dont allow the Steelers to run a short yardage offense and thus dont give the best chances to convert on those downs.

Preacher
07-07-2008, 07:48 PM

The sad thing is this means Arians short yardage offense will likely consist of going 5 wide, spreading the field and throwing like he did in Cleveland and Indianapolis. Both places where he piled up big yards, but couldnt win in the playoffs.

You act as if there is only one way to convert on third and short.

1. let's talk about winning in the playoffs and what that great, wonderful running game got us? Do you remember? What was it? 4 failures in the AFCCG? SPECIFICALLY on the run game. Cowher would go conservative... and it was a flashback.. "Hey diddle diddle... Bettis up the middle." Three and out. Kreider really helped there, didn't he?

2. Now let's look at the teams that beat us. Denver, New England (2x) and San Deigo.

Only 1 of those teams had a power run game. The rest? Guess what, they THROUGH THE BALL.

Now let's look at the Superbowls. Giants-- won through the air. Colts, won through the air. Steelers-- won through the air (take away Willies long run, and he had what, 60 yards?) Patriots-- through the air. Patriots again-- through the air.

The way to win in this NFL is to throw the ball first and set up the run. Matter of fact, of those team mentioned, how many have a strong FB/RB tandem to smash it down the throat of the other team? That's right. None.

CONCLUSION.

Keeping Kreider and a three yards and a cloud of mediocrity offensive mentality is the WORST thing that we could do.

I am VERY happy for these changes. They are a long time coming.

Texasteel
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Well if your thinking about a later round FB in next years draft your going to have a pretty good local kid to watch in Conredge Collins.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
You act as if there is only one way to convert on third and short.

1. let's talk about winning in the playoffs and what that great, wonderful running game got us? Do you remember? What was it? 4 failures in the AFCCG? SPECIFICALLY on the run game. Cowher would go conservative... and it was a flashback.. "Hey diddle diddle... Bettis up the middle." Three and out. Kreider really helped there, didn't he?

2. Now let's look at the teams that beat us. Denver, New England (2x) and San Deigo.

Only 1 of those teams had a power run game. The rest? Guess what, they THROUGH THE BALL.

Now let's look at the Superbowls. Giants-- won through the air. Colts, won through the air. Steelers-- won through the air (take away Willies long run, and he had what, 60 yards?) Patriots-- through the air. Patriots again-- through the air.

The way to win in this NFL is to throw the ball first and set up the run. Matter of fact, of those team mentioned, how many have a strong FB/RB tandem to smash it down the throat of the other team? That's right. None.

CONCLUSION.

Keeping Kreider and a three yards and a cloud of mediocrity offensive mentality is the WORST thing that we could do.

I am VERY happy for these changes. They are a long time coming.

Preacher, like Jon Daly said "you dont know me".

I am a football traditionalist that believes the way to win football games is with a great defense and solid running game that sets up play action passing and can stretch the field. In other words BALANCE.

I dont know the stats, but from memory, the AFCCG's lost were due to :
- Couldnt stop the Pats Offense and our Rookie QB(Ben) couldnt win the game in all fairness
-Bettis couldnt play the previous AFCCG against the Pats because of an injection gone wrong and Troy Brown scores 2 times on special teams(Otherwise the Steelers beat Carolina for the SB)
-The Broncos won their matchup because of turnovers, Kordell Stewart and a couple guys named Elway, Davis, Sharpe, Rod Smith
-The Chargers.....come on...you need 3 yards and a pass play from O'Donnell to Barry Foster is the call?????

Throw out the scheme.....we lost all 4 on turnovers and mistakes.

Elway never won until Terrell Davis. Marino never won because of no running game, Corey Dillon, Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai, Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw and Derrick Ward all contributed LARGELY to their respective teams winning the super bowl. Its not about feature backs any more....its team rushing.

If you think the way to win in the NFL is Through first (its actually spelled Throw) to setup the run......THEN WHERE IS THE RUN AND SHOOT OFFENSE????

Again, its all about balance and the thing that I fear the most is that Arians gets too much control and he loses that balance to the point that he turns the Steeler offense into the 2003 Browns with Kelly Holcombe throwing to 4 and 5 WR sets, or the Indy Colts in the early 2000's that did the same.

Both places Bruce Arians was the O-coordinator with productive offenses that could not win in the playoffs because he had no reliable way to move the chains in January that didnt involve throwing the ball.

I dont want a fullback that just blocks and isnt versatile. I just dont want one that is versatile, but hasnt contributed 150 yards of offense and is a bad blocker....like Carey Davis is. The sad thing is a scrub FB like Leonard Weaver is 3 times the player Carey Davis is and we make no attempt to find a similar upgrade as a undrafted FA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
BTW, throw out the actual Super Bowl games as examples of much. The NFL ruins the game often by the 2 week layoff and playing the game indoors or where the weather is not a factor.

The grind of the playoffs and getting to the SB is more often tougher than the SB and sitting thru the lame halftime show.

Rhee Rhee
07-08-2008, 05:09 AM
well i say bring najeh back anytime we playin in St. Louis...

lilyoder6
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
well i can see more of a play-action on 3rd down and actually being able to throw it 2 the fb who can catch and run... but the off is changing and we're becoming more even now w/ the pass and run...

as long as we get the 1st down i rly don't care how we get it