PDA

View Full Version : Judge declares mistrial in Henry's assault case

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
CINCINNATI (AP) - A judge has declared a mistrial in the assault case of former Cincinnati Bengals (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67041) wide receiver Chris Henry (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/469329).

An eight-person jury in Cincinnati told the judge Tuesday they were unable to agree on a verdict. Hamilton County Municipal Judge Richard Bernat then dismissed the jury and set a hearing for July 8.

Eighteen-year-old Gregory Meyer accused Henry of punching him in the face in March. The 25-year-old Henry said he was acting in self-defense.
The judge earlier dismissed a criminal damaging charge that alleged Henry had broken Meyer's car window with a beer bottle in the altercation.
The Bengals (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67041) released Henry on April 3 after his fifth arrest since 2005, and last month he was suspended indefinitely by the NFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8303844/Judge-declares-mistrial-in-Henry's-assault-case

RoethlisBURGHer
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Hmm, if he gets a new trial and is found not guilty or there is another mistrial, will he get reinstated?

TackleMeBen
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
that is a good question? they reinstated pacman i mean adam jones..lol

Galax Steeler
07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
that is a good question? they reinstated pacman i mean adam jones..lol

I am glad you cleard that up that is adam jones.:wink02:

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I am glad you cleard that up that is adam jones.:wink02:
sorry he will always be the pacman..lol :toofunny:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/smilies/pacman.gif

CantStop85
07-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Because I know no one can ever have too much Chris Henry, here's an interview he did last week. He promises that he'll "never get in trouble again," and embraces the idea of getting to play for Cincinnati again. "I hope so, man. I love playing for Cincinnati. I got really tight with a bunch of my teammates in Cincinnati. I would love for that to happen, but you never know." He also says that he's still been in contact with Chad Johnson and that owner Mike Brown "reached out" to him after he was cut.

Very intriguing considering the fact that it appears he's going to end up beating out the charges against him. Several people have said that if he's found guilty, he'll most likely be reinstated. So, it should be interesting to see, if he indeed does get reinstated, what team might take a chance on him...I doubt that the Bengals would want to at this point, but as Henry said, "you never know."
Chris Henry hits Dayton’s WONE airwaves
HENRY CLAIMS HE’LL NEVER GET IN TROUBLE AGAIN

Sportstalk 980 host Mark “The Skipper” Schlemmer and in-studio guest Carlos “Big C” Holmes of the Dayton Daily News interviewed Henry.

Here’s a transcript of the Schlemmer-Holmes interview with Henry:

Q. How are you?

A. I’m doing pretty good.

Q. What are you doing these days?

A. Actually, I’m just now starting to get back into (playing shape).

Q. What are you looking to do once all these legal issues are behind you?

A. Just getting back to playing ball, you know, what I love to do. Right now, I’m just planning on going and training for a few weeks until things come together for me.

Q. How can a team trust you when you come back into the league?

A. I’m pretty sure they will look at that. I’m just going to have to prove it to whoever gives me an opportunity and a chance to play with their team. So it’ll be up to me.

Q. What did you learn from this situation?

A. I learned a lot, man. It’s been like that for a while, you know? This little incident that happened a couple months ago, it really was out of my hands. I’m just going to keep doing the same things I’ve been doing since I came back from my suspension last season.

Q. Are you still living in Cincinnati? Will you train there?

A. I’m still in Cincinnati right now. I’m planning on training down in North Carolina.

Q. Talk about some of the regrets you have.

A. It’s been tough, man. It’s been a long three months, not being on a ball club and just being in the house for three months. I’ve just got to try to put it all behind me and hopefully it’ll all come together here soon and I’ll be able to move on with my life.

Q. Is it possible we could see Chris Henry in a Bengals uniform again?

A. I hope so, man. I love playing for Cincinnati. I got really tight with a bunch of my teammates in Cincinnati. I would love for that to happen, but you never know.

Q. How tough of an adjustment was it coming from college to the NFL?

A. It’s different for a lot of people, that changeover from college to the NFL. With me, it was pretty easy for me, actually. I got used to it real quick. I felt real comfortable after my first training camp.

Q. What are the toughest things that Bengals rookie receiver Jerome Simpson will face this season?

A. Just knowing that all the defensive backs in the league are top-notch and everybody’s going to give them a challenge every time you step up to the line. You’ve got to be prepared for that mentally and physically. If he gets past that, he’ll be fine.

Q. What have you learned from this whole situation and what will you do differently?

A. I learned a lot, man. I learned a lot about everything that happened, and everything taught me a lesson. Just about being in the wrong places and hanging out with the wrong people. I just need to handle myself like a professional at all times. That’s pretty much what I need to do to stay in the league and get another shot at this. That’s what I plan on doing.

Q. Have any of the Bengals reached out to you since you were cut by the club?

A. I’ve lost contact with a lot of guys, but there’s a few guys on the team I’ve talked to. I actually talked to Chad (Johnson) this morning. And (team president) Mike Brown reached out to me.

Q. What did Chad have to say?

A. Chad’s good. He’s down in Miami right now just focusing on getting his ankle 100 percent, and he’s just getting ready for the season. Chad is a good guy. He’s always going to be a friend no matter what with me.

Q. Is Chad a positive influence for you?

A. It’s always positive when I talk to Chad. As soon as I came to Cincinnati, he was the first person I talked to on the team. We’ve been tight ever since then. He’s just one of those guys that young guys come into the NFL and look up to. I learned a lot from Chad. He’s a real good guy.

Q. What’s one thing you want fans to know about Chris Henry?

A. That I’m truly and really a good guy, a good person, fun to be around, and just love to play football. It ain’t all what it seems like when they hear all the negative stuff about me and all the stuff I’ve been through. There’s more to me than that.

Q. What are you going to do to keep yourself out of these situations?

A. Like I say, carry myself and handle myself as a professional at all times. By me doing that, it’s pretty much going to take care of everything. That’s all I really need to do.

Q. Will teams have to worry about Chris Henry ever being in trouble again?

A. Definitely not, man. I’m just going to stay away from the wrong people and never put myself in a bad situation, just try to stay positive about everything and just continue to work and think football at all times.

Q. What’s your former coach at West Virginia, Rich Rodriguez, going to do for Michigan?

A. Oh, man, I can definitely say Rodriguez is a great coach and he can really turn a program around once the players start believing in him and just going with the flow. I can just say that it’s going to be a good game (against Ohio State) this year.

Q. Some of his Michigan players have already transferred. One guy even transferred to Ohio State. Does that surprise you?

A. He’s a tough coach to get cool with, but he’s really a good coach and it’s going to be a good game to watch this year. Should be one of the best.

Boomerang
07-09-2008, 06:42 AM
He has talent but i doubt his ability to stay out of trouble.Time will tell.

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm..."know a man by the company he keeps" and all that.

tony hipchest
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
i heard on sirius today that henrys lawyer said he is so destitute he cant even afford the court transcripts of his trial.

hell, that means he probably cant even afford a pack of zig zags, a 40, and the latest BRATZ doll to entice his next girlfriend.

i guess that broke ass fool is staying clean. but saying he can keep it up is pure lip service. he is 1 dog buscuit shy of mike vickdom.

TackleMeBen
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
i guess that broke ass fool is staying clean. but saying he can keep it up is pure lip service. he is 1 dog buscuit shy of mike vickdom.
thanks tony, not only did i just spit my drink all over my computer... i laughed loud enough that someone put their head in my office to see what was going on..lol :rofl::rofl:

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
He'd sure look good in the B&G for vet mini....

Hell, I can't even finish that one as a joke.

CantStop85
07-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Well, now there might be a chance! :flap:

Charges Against Former Bengal Wide Receiver Dropped

UPDATED: 1:32 pm EDT July 14, 2008

(IMG:http://www.wlwt.com/2008/0701/16762644.jpg)

CINCINNATI -- Assault charges against former Cincinnati Bengal Chris Henry were dropped Monday.

Henry was accused of punching a University of Cincinnati student earlier this year. Another charge that he threw a bottle at the man's car was dropped during Henry's first trial.

After a mistrial was declared when the jury couldn't come to a verdict in the first case, jury selection was to begin in Henry's new trial Monday.

The prosecutor's office had asked the judge last week to keep three pieces of information out of the new trial:

The alleged victim's charges being reduced
A request for a settlement by the alleged victim's lawyer
Testimony about the alleged victim's violent character

On Monday, the judge refused to keep the information out of court proceedings. Shortly thereafter, the prosecutor's office dropped the case with prejudice.

The Bengals cut Henry shortly after the charges were filed. Henry had been suspended by the NFL pending the outcome of the case.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told ProFootballTalk.com that the eligibility of receiver Chris Henry to re-join the league is “under review.”

tony hipchest
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
word is Henry is willing to play for a set of Daytons (24's) for his hooptie, and a new gold grill for his mouff.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, now there might be a chance! :flap:

Uh..yea.

.....about as much chance as there is of Belichick being put on the rules committee.

fansince'76
07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24366

:rolleyes:

revefsreleets
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
"He's not that bad"

< CS or any other Bungal apologist >

Jesus, that organization is so morally bankrupt and lost I'm actually starting to feel sorry for them. But they'll be right there in the race for the AFC North crown with their disgruntled WR, their old RB who can't run anymore, their piecemeal OL, and that awful sieve of a defense, right CS?

xfl2001fan
07-14-2008, 08:19 PM
These NFL guys have it so good it's sickening. I'd take a tougher stance if I were the commish. Screw up and you're gone. No second chance. There are too many other tremendous athletes out there waiting to get their chance that won't because guys like Jones and Henry keep getting opportunities to screw up.

BTW, despite being a Cleveland Browns fan, I think I like this forum. Seems like it's (mostly) filled with Football fans, not just Steelers fans.

CantStop85
07-15-2008, 12:07 AM
"He's not that bad"

< CS or any other Bungal apologist >

Jesus, that organization is so morally bankrupt and lost I'm actually starting to feel sorry for them. But they'll be right there in the race for the AFC North crown with their disgruntled WR, their old RB who can't run anymore, their piecemeal OL, and that awful sieve of a defense, right CS?

Whoa horsey, I'll be the first to admit that Chris Henry is an idiot. I don't know him personally so I can't really be the judge of his character, but he seems like a real screwed-up individual who can't seem to get it together.

And I fail to see how the Bengals competing for the AFC North title has anything to do with a former Bengal being in court, so I will refrain from responding to your question to avoid hijacking the thread. :coffee:

Galax Steeler
07-15-2008, 04:39 AM
It wouldn't matter if the charges are dropped it is just a matter of time before he is in trouble again doing something stupid and will be right back in trouble again.

stillers4me
07-15-2008, 06:30 AM
It wouldn't matter if the charges are dropped it is just a matter of time before he is in trouble again doing something stupid and will be right back in trouble again.

Refer to Odell Thurman. :doh:

revefsreleets
07-15-2008, 10:09 AM
He is asking to be reinstated. What teams do you think will be interested in him?

Mosca
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
He is asking to be reinstated. What teams do you think will be interested in him?

Raiders
Cowboys
Ravens

I mean those seriously. I agree with CS85; not knowing him personally, I can only imagine what drives a guy like this. But looking at it objectively, he is an NFL talent, and it is the only thing he is qualified to do. His only chance of righting his life is in the NFL. IF he has any chance at all, those are the places I think he can make it happen.

Outside of any fan-talk, it is ALWAYS a tragedy when a young person goes bad. I hope he can find the sense of personal responsibility within himself to turn his life around. You guys know, I'm not a Christian; but that is the very heart of Christian doctrine, that no one is beyond redemption. I don't need to be a Christian to believe that. All lives have value. It is up to the person living to realize that value, and this kid is throwing his away. How sad.

revefsreleets
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd add the Bengals. What if Chad decides not to play or whatever? Do you think the Bengals would hesitate to resign him if they have a need?

I don't.

stlrtruck
07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
New England - someone has to show Tom how to win without the use of video :rofl:

The Duke
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
New England - someone has to show Tom how to win without the use of video :rofl:

nothing better than an ex-bengal to teach you how to win

:sign09:

CantStop85
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd add the Bengals. What if Chad decides not to play or whatever? Do you think the Bengals would hesitate to resign him if they have a need?

I don't.

Although I don't think it will happen, the Bengals very well could resign Henry, but it won't have anything to do with Chad Johnson. Mike Brown has always had a soft spot for guys like Henry and Odell. Henry has already expressed his desire to play for the Bengals again, and Mike Brown was the first person to reach out to him after he was released. Being that Henry wasn't found guilty, I could see Mike thinking twice about the decision to cut him.

The reason I don't think Henry will be back with the Bengals is because I don't know if there's room. Cincinnati will keep 6 receivers on its roster, and you have Chad, TJ, Simpson, Caldwell, Holt, Chatman, Maxwell, Urrutia, Purify. It seems like the team is ready to move on without him.

revefsreleets
07-15-2008, 08:35 PM
I hope you're right. Like I said, although it's really easy to kick the corpse of the morality of the Bengals organization, it's got to stop at some point.

But they'll take W's at just about any costs still, it seems...

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I hope you're right. Like I said, although it's really easy to kick the corpse of the morality of the Bengals organization, it's got to stop at some point.

In this draft they took Jason Shirley....who puts them back under the character microscope..... Shirley only played three games last year because of off-field incidents, highlighted by running his car into an apartment building in a DUI charge.

CantStop85
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Not terribly unexpected:
Henry interested in several teams, including Bengals
By James Walker
ESPN.com
Updated: July 17, 2008, 3:00 PM ET

Now that former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry's legal issues are behind him and he could possibly be reinstated, the question is: Where will he land next?

According to Henry and his agent Marvin Frazier, a return to the Bengals is a possibility.

"We have interest in several teams, including Cincinnati,'' Frazier said Thursday.

Frazier says it's still early in the process, but the Bengals have shown preliminary interest in Henry since his assault charge was dropped in Hamilton County (Ohio) court earlier this week. Perhaps expecting a suspension following Henry's fifth arrest, the team released Henry before the legal system ran its course.

But Henry says he wouldn't hold any grudges against the organization that drafted him in 2005. In fact, he would welcome a return to the Bengals with open arms.

"Going back to the Bengals is possible,'' Henry said. "I wouldn't mind it happening because I loved playing in Cincinnati. I got real close with all the guys out there and I planned on being out there for a long time. I really had a good time playing ball out there in Ohio."

The Bengals, in a prepared statement issued by public relations director Jack Brennan, said they could not respond to Henry's comments about a potential return.

"Chris is presently under NFL suspension, and until such time as he may be reinstated, we are not in position to comment," the team said. "Even in the event he is reinstated, he is no longer our player, and rarely if ever do we comment on any player who is not under contract with us."

Henry says he's been working out and getting back into football shape. He has no doubts that he can help a team this season. He had 88 career receptions for 1,370 yards and 17 touchdowns as Cincinnati's No. 3 receiver behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Henry still has to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to seek a lifting of his suspension. A date has not been set, but a meeting could take place within the next two weeks.

"All we could say is this would be reviewed at the appropriate time, and all factors would be considered," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday, when the assault charge against Henry was dropped.

Overall, Henry, 25, knows this is an important time for him, wherever he signs, and he's looking at this opportunity as a new beginning in his life and football career.

"That's what I'm trying to make it,'' Henry said. "I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing off the field so I can keep doing what I do on the field. I just have to be smart and handle myself like a professional at all times. Off the field, if I'll handle situations like I'm supposed to everything else will take care of itself."

He was suspended by the NFL for eight games last year. When he returned for the second half of the season, he caught 21 passes for 343 yards and two touchdowns.

Henry had nine touchdown catches in 13 games in 2006, when he was suspended by the league for two games and benched for another by coach Marvin Lewis because of misconduct.

Henry's legal problems include arrests for possession of marijuana in northern Kentucky, carrying a concealed weapon in Florida, drunken driving in Ohio and providing alcohol to minors in northern Kentucky.

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this story.

revefsreleets
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Holy Mother of God!

fansince'76
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Here's an idea - ban his ass from the league permanently. How many chances is he going to get? The guy belongs in a jail cell, not on a football field.

CantStop85
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
And ESPN jumps on the bandwagon:
Henry and the Bengals could still work

July 18, 2008 9:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Jason Bridge/US Presswire
The Bengals were 5-3 with Chris Henry last season.
I know what you were thinking when you read the headline. You rolled your eyes. But hear me out.

The Cincinnati Bengals are still a good fit for free-agent receiver Chris Henry.

Wait, don't click on another link! Stop laughing and let me finish.

Thank you.

OK, where was I?

When the Bengals released Henry in April, their hand was forced. It was his fifth arrest in three years. Cincinnati was in the news too often this spring for all the wrong reasons, and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis became extremely agitated and less tolerant of questionable behavior.

Therefore, the team had little choice but to cut Henry before the judicial system ran its course, even if it did reek of the backward term "guilty until proven innocent." But charges of assault and criminal damaging were eventually dismissed and now the move looks premature.

The Bengals could certainly use Henry. They were 2-6 without him in 2007 and 5-3 with him during the second half of the season. Henry helps take Cincinnati's offense to the next level, and added with receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, new tight end Ben Utecht and quarterback Carson Palmer throwing the ball, they would be a matchup nightmare for any defense in the NFL.

Cincinnati knows Henry's talents better than any other team. Henry already knows the playbook and his role in the offense. He has never been a problem in the Bengals' locker room and gets along well with the players. Both Johnson and Palmer have publicly praised Henry's on-the-field talents, as well.

Henry and agent Marvin Frazier said there has been some preliminary interest from Cincinnati. It may or may not go beyond that point, but when talking to Henry Thursday, he seemed very sincere about the possibility of re-joining his former team.

"I wouldn't mind it happening because I loved playing in Cincinnati," Henry said. "I got real close with all the guys out there and I planned on being out there for a long time. I really had a good time playing ball out there in Ohio."

If the NFL reinstates Henry within the next couple of weeks, the league essentially is giving Henry a clean slate.

What's wrong with the Bengals taking the same approach?

revefsreleets
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Time for vocabulary 101:

a·pol·o·gist Audio Help /əˈpɒlədʒɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pol-uh-jist] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea, etc.
2. Ecclesiastical. a. Also, a·pol·o·gete Audio Help /əˈpɒləˌdʒit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pol-uh-jeet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. a person skilled in apologetics.
b. one of the authors of the early Christian apologies in defense of the faith.

mis·guid·ed Audio Help /mɪsˈgaɪdɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mis-gahy-did] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective misled; mistaken: Their naive actions were a misguided attempt to help the poor.

in·sane Audio Help /ɪnˈseɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-seyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.
3. utterly senseless: an insane plan.

ir·re·deem·a·ble Audio Help /ˌɪrɪˈdiməbəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ir-i-dee-muh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. not redeemable; incapable of being bought back or paid off.
2. irremediable; irreparable; hopeless.
3. beyond redemption; irreclaimable.
4. (of paper money) not convertible into gold or silver.

re·cid·i·vism Audio Help /rɪˈsɪdəˌvɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-sid-uh-viz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. repeated or habitual relapse, as into crime.
2. Psychiatry. the chronic tendency toward repetition of criminal or antisocial behavior patterns.