PDA

View Full Version : Misadventures in censorship

Atlanta Dan
07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
The American Family Association obviously didn't foresee the problems that might arise with its strict policy to always replace the word "gay" with "homosexual" on the Web site of its Christian news outlet, OneNewsNow. The group's automated system for changing the forbidden word wound up publishing a story about a world-class sprinter named "Tyson Homosexual" who qualified this week for the Beijing Olympics.

The problem: Tyson's real last name is Gay. Therefore, OneNewsNow's reliable software changed the Associated Press story about Tyson Gay's amazing Olympic qualifying trial to read this way:

Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has.

His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Homosexual qualified for his first Summer Games team and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing.

"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/07/christian_sites_ban_on_g_word.html

fansince'76
07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has.

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I love it when these idiots (and the idiots from the far left as well) open their mouths and insert their feet.

Profanity filters on computers at work are ridiculous examples of the busybody/Big Brother mentality as well...

http://www.ohio.com/news/dyer/20554874.html?page=all&c=y

Nasty words sometimes really aren't
By Bob Dyer
Beacon Journal staff writer

Published on Thursday, Jun 19, 2008

Computers are marvelous, but they still can't think for us.

Exhibit A: spelling-checkers. You can misuse the word ''their,'' ''there'' or ''they're'' and spell-check will wave you right through.

E-mail filters are similarly clueless. But that problem is exacerbated when a business is so prissy that the filter is set up to eliminate half of the English language.

Last week, the city of Akron sent out an e-mail news release about an upcoming festival at Lock 3. It was rejected by the e-mail system at FirstMerit because one of the activities mentioned was a cornhole tournament.

The bounce-back read, in part: ''Obscenities Dictionary 210: the reason it was NOT delivered is because it was Dropped by Content Filtering due to the word cornhole.''

Well, yes, those of us of a certain generation can recall when ''cornhole'' was slang for an activity that — well, let's just say the term had a radically different meaning.

Today the word is known throughout the region as the name of a game in which the players try to toss beanbags through a hole in a piece of plywood. It's all the rage on college campuses, and has been for years.

A week earlier, the city e-mailed a highway-construction update to businesses that were being affected by the project. The update contained the word ''erection.''

You guessed it. FirstMerit never got the memo. Bad word.

Now, banning the F-bomb might be a valid practice, depending on the nature of your business. A few other particularly nasty single-meaning nouns and adjectives might be understandable, too.

But ''cornhole''? ''Erection''?

What else is on that list? ''Pole''? ''High rise''? ''Pup tent''?

I was dying to check out the entire ''Obscenities Dictionary'' and talk with its author, but FirstMerit spokesman Thomas O'Malley said the bank didn't want to comment.

Which is probably just as well.

CanadianSteel
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me.[/B]"[/I]

This part was toofunny.......

k7brown
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
"It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me.[/B]"[/I]

This part was toofunny.......

hahaha... I agree.

GBMelBlount
07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
That is soooo HOMOSEXUAL.

NJarhead
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
:rofl:

GBMelBlount
07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
That guy is definitely a HOMOSEXUAL!

Godfather
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Here's another example of politically correct idiocy from the right:

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080629/ARTICLES/806290322/1211&title=Officials_consider_English_only_graduation_s peeches

fansince'76
07-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's another example of politically correct idiocy from the right:

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080629/ARTICLES/806290322/1211&title=Officials_consider_English_only_graduation_s peeches

English-only graduation speeches? That's actually political INcorrectness, not correctness. An example of politically correct idiocy in schools would be going out of the way to a ridiculous extent to accomodate the minority (no matter how small) at the majority's expense, not alienate the minority in deference to the majority, as was the case here.

Godfather
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM
English-only graduation speeches? That's actually political INcorrectness, not correctness. An example of politically correct idiocy in schools would be going out of the way to a ridiculous extent to accomodate the minority (no matter how small) at the majority's expense, not alienate the minority in deference to the majority, as was the case here.

Kind of hard to come up with the exact term there. It's like political correctness in the sense that the idea of the policy was to make a bunch of unreasonably offended people feel better...but the policy would be considered right wing as opposed to left wing.

I'm especially surprised to see that happen in Houma, Louisiana, where there is a large Cajun population that is concerned about the erosion of their language and culture.