PDA

View Full Version : Black National Anthem

Dino 6 Rings
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm kind of confused, isn't the Star Spangled Banner the ONLY National Anthem that in itself represents all US Citizens?

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=94919&catid=339
DENVER - Mayor John Hickenlooper's annual State of the City address may get more attention for what wasn't included than what was.

At the start of the event Tuesday morning, City Council President Michael Hanprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterpr ofanityfilter introduced singer Rene Marie to perform the national anthem.

Instead, she performed the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which is also known as the "black national anthem."

When she finished, the audience responded with mild applause. The national anthem was never performed.

Marie told 9NEWS she kept her plans to switch songs quiet until the very last moment. She says only she, her husband and a friend knew she was going to sing something other than the "Star-Spangled Banner."

She says she wanted to express her love of her country by mixing the lyrics of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" with the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner."

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" said Marie.

Hickenlooper's staff picked Marie to sing the national anthem. The mayor says he believes Marie did not intend to offend anyone or make a political statement.

When asked if he was offended, Hickenlooper said, "You know I was more confused and I think I was more what I was, was disappointed and confused and that's why I wanted to talk to her."

"Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" was written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1899 and set to music by his brother in 1900.

City Councilman Charlie Brown took to talk radio Tuesday afternoon to criticize the absence of the national anthem at the State of the City proceedings.

"There is no substitute for the national anthem, period," Brown said. "And that's what really bothered me. You know when we fly the flag, the American flag, it's always the highest flag, as it should be. And that didn't come across today, that didn't happen today."

In hindsight, both Brown and Hickenlooper say they should have stopped Marie or began singing themselves.

Marie says if she had the benefit of doing it over, she would sing the same song.

When asked if she would apologize for what happened she said, "No I do not."

Marie has been singing professionally for 10 years.

Brown says he doesn't have a problem with people expressing their views, but he says Marie chose the wrong venue.

I really just don't get why people do some of the things they do. I get that its considered a "pretty" song, but I happen to think that "Bird Song" by the Grateful Dead is a pretty song too, but that doesn't mean I'd sing it as a replacement for the United States National Anthem.

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
so does that mean if you are southern instead of singing the national anthem we can sing Dixie???:chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Charlie Brown? Is this an Onion article?

Dino 6 Rings
07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Charlie Brown? Is this an Onion article?

No, this is 100% real.

http://cw2.trb.com/news/kwgn-state-of-city-flap,0,2520287.story

http://thedailyvoice.com/voice/2008/07/denver-woman-stirs-controversy-000829.php

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_9756253?_requestid=9372722

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
just seen this on the news......disgusting !!! all this kind of stupidity does, is fan the flames of racism.

Mosca
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I say, if it had never been reported it would never had been noticed. Who really cares, beyond those whom it affects directly?

It's just all too much.

NJarhead
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
:mad:

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Yawn.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
:mad:

THAT'S PUTTING IT MILDLY! I just don't know what to say. We have freedom of speech in this counrty, but to step on the national anthem by singing any other song in it's place is grounds for a verbal bashing at least! I can even get on board with the different styles that some singers use. I personally dig Jimi Hendrix's version; what talent!

Now I don't want to get into a racial arguement, but there is something I don't understand. Why do black people who want to be equal with white people always seperate themselves from whites? I mean we are ALL americans so why do you need to sing a song to express how you feel as a black person living in america INSTEAD of the NATIONAL ANTHEM!?!

The same could be said about hispanics who have the cuban or mexican flag flying! You wanted to be here in the US right? Your country wasn't good enough for you so you came here. Why aren't you flying the American flag?

Before it's said or implied...... piss off I am not a bigot! I just call it like I see it! Don't like it? Take off your PC glasses and take a look for yourself.

I just want things to be equal and stop all the petty bickering back and forth and come together as Americans! 911 was a tragedy indeed, but I was proud of how we all came together and united as a counrty. Unfortunately that didn't last long.

CantStop85
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Black National Anthem, eh?
How about The Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix...he was black.
Now that's my kind of national anthem. :tt03:

Edit: Ah, Hammer you beat me to it!

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 08:32 PM
THAT'S PUTTING IT MILDLY! I just don't know what to say. We have freedom of speech in this counrty, but to step on the national anthem by singing any other song in it's place is grounds for a verbal bashing at least! I can even get on board with the different styles that some singers use. I personally dig Jimi Hendrix's version; what talent!

Now I don't want to get into a racial arguement, but there is something I don't understand. Why do black people who want to be equal with white people always seperate themselves from whites? I mean we are ALL americans so why do you need to sing a song to express how you feel as a black person living in america INSTEAD of the NATIONAL ANTHEM!?!

The same could be said about hispanics who have the cuban or mexican flag flying! You wanted to be here in the US right? Your country wasn't good enough for you so you came here. Why aren't you flying the American flag?

Before it's said or implied...... piss off I am not a bigot! I just call it like I see it! Don't like it? Take off your PC glasses and take a look for yourself.

I just want things to be equal and stop all the petty bickering back and forth and come together as Americans! 911 was a tragedy indeed, but I was proud of how we all came together and united as a counrty. Unfortunately that didn't last long.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: excellent post. and by the way hendrix's rocks anyway you look at..lol :wink02:..

NJarhead
07-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Key sentence right there. Men like the "Rev." Al Sharpton fuel this sort of BS. But before we can blame "the blacks" I get equally appalled when the youngsters from Howard Beach, NY or B.F.E., TX lynch a black kid and set us back 100 years all over again.

I agree with you Hammer. Creating black this and black that (history month, anthems, channel, magazines, etc) serves no other purpose than to keep us all divided. Someday.....
:drink:

BTW - I once had a Devil Dog on November 10th say he celebrates the USMC Birthday on the date of the first black Marines (June 25, 1941?). I called immediate BS on that one., Explaining that we are all green; some light green, some dark green, but green none-the-less and brothers through our bond as Marines. Ultimately he agreed and we got shit-faced. lol.

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
The races and cultures who have had the most success in this country bent over backwards to assimilate, not differentiate themselves. It's fine to be proud and celebrate your heritage, but don't alientate others or go overboard in the process. Irish/Polish/Italian/German Americans (just to name a few) are usually the MOST patriotic Americans, and would never DREAM of singing some kind of alternative anthem. It's no coincidence that those cultures are also the one's who have enjoyed the most prosperity in this country...

stillers4me
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I thought the great and powerful Obama was supposed to be unifying us all into one loving nation. :hunch:

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I thought the great and powerful Obama was supposed to be unifying us all into one loving nation. :hunch:

It's going to be like giving the keys to the asylum to the lunatics it houses if this guy wins.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 09:01 AM
It's going to be like giving the keys to the asylum to the lunatics it houses if this guy wins.
:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:. that is great.

stlrtruck
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Hammer said it best...and when individuals recognize that they are doing themselves, their families, their neighbors, and this country an injustice...then and only then will this type of BS stop!!!

I bet if a "white' person switched the National Anthem for let's say, "Dukes of Hazzard", millions of people would be lining up to cry foul!

MACH1
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I bet if a "white' person switched the National Anthem for let's say, "Dukes of Hazzard", millions of people would be lining up to cry foul!

Oh Black Betty bam a lam.......:chuckle:

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
the southern national anthem

O, I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotten
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land where I was born in
Early on one frosty mornin'
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

Chorus:
O, I wish I was in Dixie!
Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dixie
Away, away,
Away down south in Dixie!

there is another version that was done for the CSA(confederate states of america)

Hammer Of The GODS
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Key sentence right there. Men like the "Rev." Al Sharpton fuel this sort of BS. But before we can blame "the blacks" I get equally appalled when the youngsters from Howard Beach, NY or B.F.E., TX lynch a black kid and set us back 100 years all over again.

Agreed...

BTW - I once had a Devil Dog on November 10th say he celebrates the USMC Birthday on the date of the first black Marines (June 25, 1941?). I called immediate BS on that one., Explaining that we are all green; some light green, some dark green, but green none-the-less and brothers through our bond as Marines. Ultimately he agreed and we got shit-faced. lol.

You take ANY soldier regarless of color or religion and ask him if it matters what race or religion the guy in the foxhole next to him is, and they will say it doesn't matter! He's got my back and I got his!

One of the things I miss the most about the service is that all the racial BS was just that....BS! There is something to learn from that mindset. My senior drill instructor was dark green and I have more respect for him than most men I have ever met. Like you said...... someday.........

SEMPER FI WarDen!

Hammer Of The GODS
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
The races and cultures who have had the most success in this country bent over backwards to assimilate, not differentiate themselves. It's fine to be proud and celebrate your heritage, but don't alientate others or go overboard in the process. Irish/Polish/Italian/German Americans (just to name a few) are usually the MOST patriotic Americans, and would never DREAM of singing some kind of alternative anthem. It's no coincidence that those cultures are also the one's who have enjoyed the most prosperity in this country...

That statement is spot on!

Godfather
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Isn't that a religious hymn? The ACLU should sue!!

stlrtruck
07-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh Black Betty bam a lam.......:chuckle:

Don't think it would fit into the National Anthem....but

Ole' Black Betty Bam a lam
Ole' Black Betty Bam a lam
Black Betty had a child
Bam a lam
Damn thing gone wild
Bam a lam

Godfather
07-04-2008, 02:54 PM
:drink:

BTW - I once had a Devil Dog on November 10th say he celebrates the USMC Birthday on the date of the first black Marines (June 25, 1941?).

I can understand that...June 25 is the date that gave him the opportunity to serve the country he loves as a Marine.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I can understand that...June 25 is the date that gave him the opportunity to serve the country he loves as a Marine.

Sorry Godfather. The USMC birthday is Nov. 10th. Celebrating it on any other day is a farse. If a Jewish person converts to christianity , it would be inapropriate to celebrate Christamas on the day he converted! Right? It's pretty cut and dry if you ask me.....

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Why would it matter? Jesus was born in May, not December. The Catholic church parked the holiday on top of the Pagan Winter Solstice. People can celebrate whatever they want whenever they want. "Festivus for the rest of us".

VTsteel
07-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Word! :thumbsup:

cakmakli
07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
What about the politicians that stood there with her while she sang it? They must have agreed with it because none of them walked off the stage. Or maybe they just didn't have the balls to do it. Either way they should be voted out to include the mayor.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Why would it matter? Jesus was born in May, not December. The Catholic church parked the holiday on top of the Pagan Winter Solstice. People can celebrate whatever they want whenever they want. "Festivus for the rest of us".

:chuckle: I'll get the pole from the crawl space! First up... feats of strength! :laughing:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2008, 10:30 PM
What about the politicians that stood there with her while she sang it? They must have agreed with it because none of them walked off the stage. Or maybe they just didn't have the balls to do it. Either way they should be voted out to include the mayor.

Or maybe they decided one person trying to ruin the dignity of the moment was enough..?

Preacher
07-05-2008, 10:44 PM
If you want racism... keep pointing to the color of your own skin.

Racism is where you find it for the most part.

Sure, the idiots are still out there...en mass.

But act smart, and that is overcome in this culture.

And if you don't believe me, I have a number of people I can introduce you to.

fansince'76
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM
"Festivus for the rest of us."

:chuckle: I'll get the pole from the crawl space! First up... feats of strength! :laughing:

Wait a minute - did the "feats of strength" come before the "airing of grievances?" I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about them! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Galax Steeler
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I think what she did was stupid the national anthem should not be messed with.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Wait a minute - did the "feats of strength" come before the "airing of grievances?" I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about them! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Man I miss that show! A lot of crap on nowadays!

revefsreleets
07-07-2008, 08:11 AM
First we eat. Then it's the airing of grievances and finally the feats of strength.

As far as I'm concerned, Seinfeld was the last of the glory days of TV. The whole thing has jumped the shark since. Yeah, there are still some funny shows, but not like that. I have a DVR filled with episodes and still watch and laugh ten years later. I've probably watched a couple hundred episodes in the last few months, and I think "The Old Man" may be my favorite.

NJarhead
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Sure they can, but the fact remains that the Marine Corps Birthday is November 10th, 1775 and General John A. Lejeune declared that day a celebration Marine Corps wide over one hundred years ago. I'll celebrate June 25th with any dark green Marine who cares to share drink with me, but he'd better recognize too what we celebrate on November 10th. :drink: