PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Add International Player; Release Quarterback

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
PITTSBURGH
The Steelers released first year QB Jared Zabransky and added a player as part of the NFL International Practice Squad Program, the team announced todayThe Steelers added WR Marvin Allen(5-10, 180) of London, England to their roster today. He will remain on the team’s practice squad for the entire 2008 season. Allen, 25, spent the 2006 season on the Steelers’ practice squad as the team’s NFL Europe International Practice Squad player. He spent the 2007 season on the Miami Dolphins’ practice squad as part of the same program. Allen played three seasons (2005-07) in NFL Europe with the Frankfurt Galaxy, Amsterdam Admirals and Rhein Fire, respectively.
The addition of Allen will allow the Steelers to carry 81 players on their training camp roster.
Zabransky, who signed with the Steelers on Feb. 6, spent part of the 2007 season on the Houston Texans’ practice squad. He originally signed with Houston in 2007 as an undrafted rookie out of Boise Stateif
http://news.steelers.com/article/91570/

KeiselPower99
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I remember Ed Bouchette saying they wasnt to happy with what Zambransky had been bringin to the table.

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 12:31 PM
wasnt he on the boise st team that had that great upset in a bcs bowl?

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
wasnt he on the boise st team that had that great upset in a bcs bowl?
yup

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
i was thinking that name sounded familiar. they ran that liberty play or something i believe

KeiselPower99
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Statue of Liberty play. Man that was a great game. It was a jeopardy question the other night.

k7brown
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I stayed up to watch that BCS Bowl Game... that was amazing game and series of events!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought we normally bring 4QB's to camp, so now its Ben, Batch, Dixon...unless they get another camp arm by then.

Maybe they like what they see of Dixon as a QB. Still havent heard any news on Dixon being used as a WR or KR......has anybody else?

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I thought we normally bring 4QB's to camp, so now its Ben, Batch, Dixon...unless they get another camp arm by then.

Maybe they like what they see of Dixon as a QB. Still havent heard any news on Dixon being used as a WR or KR......has anybody else?
you forgot......#08 Potts, Mike QB 6-4 220.....:popcorn:

CanadianSteel
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Statue of Liberty play. Man that was a great game. It was a jeopardy question the other night.

Awesome game with some big plays... Boise St. was clearly overmatched and I remember rooting for them as the underdog.

Steelers must like what they have seen so far in Dixon, or not liked what they have seen in Zabransky

The Duke
07-02-2008, 02:41 PM
so, Jeremy was right, lol

hopefully dixon shows promise in TC. Batch won't last forever.

Potts? is he an UDFA?

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
This almost solidifies the stance that Dixon was drafted as a QB and only a QB, no?

KeiselPower99
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Potts is an udfa from William and Mary.

MDSteel15
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Potts to the practice squad, Dixon #3QB!!! WoW....

I truly believed he would be playing baseball by the end of camp. Hope he proves me wrong!

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM

do you know his parents ??? :huh:...............................:rofl: i crack me up....:toofunny:

The Duke
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM

nice, Tomlin's college :tt02:

43Hitman
07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
do you know his parents ??? :huh:...............................:rofl: i crack me up....:toofunny:

:toofunny: NIce Pun!!

Vis
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Remember that the roster limit is lower this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
This almost solidifies the stance that Dixon was drafted as a QB and only a QB, no?

No, he was drated as the next Slash and the only way he can contribute on this team is if he is on the field with his gifted athletic ability. He will be a WR/KR/RB/P like KS was.

Have you not been reading the forums??:wink02:

klick81
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I was just thinking yesterday that Z would be cut with the addition of Dixon in the mix. Here we are today.

trish
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Most of the news from offseason training said Zabransky wasn't shaping into what they needed....guess with Dixon here now they were able to make the move to release him.

millwalldavey
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
No, he was drated as the next Slash and the only way he can contribute on this team is if he is on the field with his gifted athletic ability. He will be a WR/KR/RB/P like KS was.

Have you not been reading the forums??:wink02:

Certainly I have been reading... and everything I see fromt he Steelers is that he has been drafted as a QB and only a QB.

Mind you I never beleived that for one second... but this almost seems to back their statements.

lilyoder6
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
and jared even was ahead of the game w/ being signed in jan/feb to learn the playbook ancd work on his mechanics... but i guess he's not that good or dixon has some great atheltic abilities as a qb

Steeldude
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
the steelers should keep only 2 QBs. if BR or batch get hurt they can grab a veteran QB later.

last thing i want to see is kordell part 2 taking the field as a QB.

19ward86
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
no statue of liberty plays this year...or will there be???

fansince'76
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
the steelers should keep only 2 QBs. if BR or batch get hurt they can grab a veteran QB later.

last thing i want to see is kordell part 2 taking the field as a QB.

Eh, if Ben AND Batch go down for any considerable length of time, our season is toast anyway, especially with a schedule as brutal as this year's is going to be.

MDSteel15
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Eh, if Ben AND Batch go down for any considerable length of time, our season is toast anyway, especially with a schedule as brutal as this year's is going to be.

OVER??? It's never over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!!! :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I wonder why they brought in another wide receiver he has been on the practice squad his entire carrer.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
i wouldnt say over, but it would total be a waste..

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
If our starting QB goes down, then we even the playing field and destroy the opposing team's qbs week in and week out. If our 2nd stringer goes down, then we demolish their starter and back up as well. Crush them, rip off their heads, shatter their spines and demoralize their spirit!!!

I will accept NO excuses this season. None. Its victory or death!!! Where the heck is Patton when we need him!

(disclaimer) I've been playing a lot of Total War II on my computer so my perspective on things may be a little off.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
If our starting QB goes down, then we even the playing field and destroy the opposing team's qbs week in and week out. If our 2nd stringer goes down, then we demolish their starter and back up as well. Crush them, rip off their heads, shatter their spines and demoralize their spirit!!!

I will accept NO excuses this season. None. Its victory or death!!! Where the heck is Patton when we need him!

(disclaimer) I've been playing a lot of Total War II on my computer so my perspective on things may be a little off.
i am all for that especially when we play the pats and cowboys...:chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, the reports out of OTA is that Dixon has been struggling getting snaps under center. That doesn't exactly inspire the greatest confidence in the World. Other than that, though, since Dixon can actually read a defense and can throw accurately when he plants his feet, I think the KS comparisons are pretty silly.

I still think he'll have to fulfill some role other than clipboard holder to make this team. Brian St. Perre? Yeah, what the Hell else was that dude gonna do? But Dixon has some mad skills and they should be utilized...

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, the reports out of OTA is that Dixon has been struggling getting snaps under center. That doesn't exactly inspire the greatest confidence in the World. Other than that, though, since Dixon can actually read a defense and can throw accurately when he plants his feet, I think the KS comparisons are pretty silly.

I still think he'll have to fulfill some role other than clipboard holder to make this team. Brian St. Perre? Yeah, what the Hell else was that dude gonna do? But Dixon has some mad skills and they should be utilized...
but who'll hold the clipboard ? :huh:

KeiselPower99
07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
If Dixon dont look good in preseason I could see us either cutting him or the IR.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
we can always get BSP back.:rofl:

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 01:11 PM

What's Duce Staley doing these days?

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
What's Duce Staley doing these days?
sears sweat suit mannequin.......he works for food

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/ostore64/JanuaryVisualMerchandisingPics006.jpg

LVSteelersfan
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Sorry, BSP was picked up by the Pittsburgh West Cardinals. Surprise !!!!!!!!

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry, BSP was picked up by the Pittsburgh West Cardinals. Surprise !!!!!!!!
is he going to sell them the old playbook like he did the ravens???:rofl:

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
is he going to sell them the old playbook like he did the ravens???:rofl:

Didn't do the Rats much good last year....

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

that is true...

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 03:57 PM
he will only be remebered as the qb in the game agaist ou.. oh well

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 04:05 PM
he will only be remebered as the qb in the game agaist ou.. oh well

And that's more than 99.99% of the population can ever boast...they'll be showing highlights of that game 50 years from now.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM

It would take more then that to help them out.:toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Steelers cut Zabransky, pick up wide receiver
Thursday, July 03, 2008

Before he even had a chance to make it to training camp, the Steelers released first-year quarterback Jared Zabransky and added wide receiver Marvin Allen to their practice squad as part of an NFL Europe international program.

Zabransky, a three-year starter who was 33-5 and had two undefeated regular seasons at Boise State, was signed as a free agent after the 2007 season with the idea he could compete for the No. 3 quarterback spot.

But his release was not surprising after the Steelers drafted Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon in the fifth round in April.

Allen (5-10, 180) is a native of London, England, and spent the 2006 season on the practice squad as the team's NFL Europe International practice squad player. He spent last season on the Miami Dolphins' practice squad as part of the same program.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08185/894577-66.stm

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 09:58 AM
the drafting of dixon didn't help either in his case... so it looks like dixon gonna be number 3 4 sure