PDA

View Full Version : Favre's possible return

RoethlisBURGHer
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
As reported by ESPN, Brett Favre has communicated with Packers' head coach Mike McCarthy about his possible return from "retirement".

I think the Packers need to take a stand and tell Favre that he either retires and stays retired, or he comes back and gets released from the team. It's not fair to the team, the GM, Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers, and Brian Brohm that Favre comes back to be the QB for the Packers.

They have begun to move on from the Favre era. The team is rallying around Aaron Rodgers. They have been through all of their offseason workouts and are now only a few short weeks away from training camp.

For goodness sake, they have already announced that at halftime of the home opener they were retiring his jersey number.

The Duke
07-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Favre, I love ya like no other player, but it's time to move on. I'd love to see him play forever, but he can't be doing this to his fans, especially packers fans

It's not fair to the team, the GM, Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers, and Brian Brohm that Favre comes back to be the QB for the Packers.

exactly

MasterOfPuppets
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
The packers are gonna have to get a restraining order against farve.......:laughing:

The Duke
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
The packers are gonna have to get a restraining order against farve.......:laughing:

and favre's gonna have to get a restraining order against aaron rodgers :flap:

CantStop85
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Sheesh, Aaron Rodgers has to be the most insecure player in the NFL because of Favre. It's not enough that he has to live up to his legend, but he also has to worry about the possibility of him coming out of retirement?

I hope McCarthy and the Packers finally put the team before Favre this time.

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/beautifulgirl427/favre0531.jpg

Bret, man i love ya, but stay the F retired..let someone else get a shot. thanks Aaron

lilyoder6
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
he disclaimed the rumors.. lol.. poor aaron, when he thinks he gets 2 start favre sneaks back into the picture

Tankus_Maximus
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
WTF??

This guy is worse than a chick who can't make up her mind where to arrange the furniture!!!!!

Stay retired and drink some brews Bret!!!!!

stlrtruck
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Guys this is the NFL, do we really know who started the rumors. Heck for all we know Favre could have been out to dinner and joking with someone and then it leaks. Or maybe the "person" from the packers office just wanted to put the packers back in the media spotlight or perhaps light a fire under Rodgers' butt!

Or heck maybe Favre's wife and kids are so annoyed with him by now they want him to play until he croaks on the sidelines....who really knows.

CanadianSteel
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Guys this is the NFL, do we really know who started the rumors. Heck for all we know Favre could have been out to dinner and joking with someone and then it leaks. Or maybe the "person" from the packers office just wanted to put the packers back in the media spotlight or perhaps light a fire under Rodgers' butt!

Or heck maybe Favre's wife and kids are so annoyed with him by now they want him to play until he croaks on the sidelines....who really knows.

Actuallt there was an interview on NFL network Total Access Favre with Steve Mariuci (sp?) and Favre pretty much said he has regretted the retirement decision ever since making it . He said something like "the pack" was a strong team possed to contend and that he would'nt rule out a comeback....... stay tuned

Not sure exactly when the interview was done but he definatly wasn't rulling out a comeback.

Counselor
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
yes, this rumor actually seems credible to me. Even in his press conference he seemed like he didn't want to retire really.

I was listening to ESPN radio last night, and they interviewed a retired teamate of Favre's. Apparently the rumor is Favre wants to come back to the packers OR be released from his contract. The Packers are unwilling to do either.

They might be seeking to trade his rights away. should be interesting.

FWIW I agree he should just stay retired.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
i heard his mom say that she felt the GM of packers wanted favre out.

KeiselPower99
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Ahhh Brett being Brett. Everyone said he would start this around July and they was right.

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
If I was the GM of the Packers, I'd trade Rogers. Get what I could for the young, but talented unproven QB, probably get a 2nd and 3rd round pick for the kid. Bring back Favre, let him go for it, that keeps the Fan Base happy, also, you've got Braum on the roster just in case. We all know Rogers isn't going to do well after having lived in Brett's shadow for so long. Take a chance, dump the kid off, get some future return on him and then let the Old Man give it one more go. The fans won't mind if they go 4-12 this season, and as far as Rogers is concerned, not too many Packers fans will be calling for the GM's head for letting the kid go. He's been on the roster so long as a back up already and has been injured several times.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
If I was the GM of the Packers, I'd trade Rogers. Get what I could for the young, but talented unproven QB, probably get a 2nd and 3rd round pick for the kid. Bring back Favre, let him go for it, that keeps the Fan Base happy, also, you've got Braum on the roster just in case. We all know Rogers isn't going to do well after having lived in Brett's shadow for so long. Take a chance, dump the kid off, get some future return on him and then let the Old Man give it one more go. The fans won't mind if they go 4-12 this season, and as far as Rogers is concerned, not too many Packers fans will be calling for the GM's head for letting the kid go. He's been on the roster so long as a back up already and has been injured several times.
from what?? holding a clipboard?:rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
from what?? holding a clipboard?:rofl:

Exactly, you make my point for me. The guy gets hurt in practice and doesn't see any real playing time. But he's supposed to be the "heir apparent" I say dump his sorry butt now while he's still marketable. If he plays as QB next season and they stink it up, he won't be picked up off the waiver wires.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Exactly, you make my point for me. The guy gets hurt in practice and doesn't see any real playing time. But he's supposed to be the "heir apparent" I say dump his sorry butt now while he's still marketable. If he plays as QB next season and they stink it up, he won't be picked up off the waiver wires.
glad i could help you make your point :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Rogers looked pretty good off the bench against the Cowboys last year. I'd say Brett Favre did him a HUGE favor by sticking around and letting Rogers adapt into the system slowly. I expect he'll be a pretty decent NFL QB because he initially wasn't ready to play at this level and sitting helped him avoid the curse of David Klingler/Tim Couch et al.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
maybe he can share his experience with good old brady quinn...lol

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Favre downplays comeback talk as rumors swirl

Brett Favre insists that all this talk about his potential return to the Packers is just that.

After buzz about a comeback surfaced Wednesday, the retired Green Bay quarterback told the Biloxi Sun Herald (Miss.) that "it's all rumor."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8306706/Favre-downplays-comeback-talk-as-rumors-swirl

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
yeah its all a rumor until he shows up at TC...lol...

PAMillerGrrl83
07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
^^^^LoL thats funny, it'd be hilarious to see. I like Bret Favre but its time to give it up.

steel striker
07-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Brett should stay retired but, he maid up his mind too soon after the playoff lost to the giants. I'm tired of this Brett talk every year around this time. He was one of the best and, had a great career. I the rodgers might say Brett enough is enough. Or maybe Dude! You had your time in the sun and, now it is finally my time.

Godfather
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Blame the media. They're the ones driving this....Brett told the Sun-Herald (local newspaper) that it was just rumors and that's good enough for me.

I saw his mom today, but I didn't ask her about it. (I never talk to her about Brett...I figure too many people do that as it is).

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2008, 05:43 AM
IMO Brett Favre has the right to play if he so chooses. Why is everyone saying that he should stay retired? My God people, the man can still play better than 80% of the league's starting quarterbacks. And in case you missed it, there is no love affair with Rogers, from a fan's perspective. When Rogers was asked about connecting with fans the way Favre did, he responded with I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans,” Rodgers responded “They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.” One hell of a way to endear yourself to an organization and their fans as a starting QB. I can't wait for Rogers to turn out to be the flop that he is. Just another example of why Favre is so great!!

CantStop85
07-06-2008, 07:48 AM
IMO Brett Favre has the right to play if he so chooses. Why is everyone saying that he should stay retired? My God people, the man can still play better than 80% of the league's starting quarterbacks. And in case you missed it, there is no love affair with Rogers, from a fan's perspective. When Rogers was asked about connecting with fans the way Favre did, he responded with I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans,” Rodgers responded “They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.” One hell of a way to endear yourself to an organization and their fans as a starting QB. I can't wait for Rogers to turn out to be the flop that he is. Just another example of why Favre is so great!!

No one's questioning Favre's ability to play. It's simply the fact that he can't make up his mind whether he wants to play or not and is holding the franchise hostage at his will.

There may be no love affair with Rodgers and the fans, but the team has already committed to Aaron Rodgers being their quarterback this season and taken the necessary steps for him to run the offense.

The Packers are trying to move on; if Brett still wanted to play, he shouldn't have retired in the first place.

Galax Steeler
07-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I think he should stay retired if he comes back and have a couple of reall bad years then he wouldnt be looked at the same as he was when he was on top.

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Regardless of whether or not Favre's indecisiveness is a distraction, the Packers made the NFC Championship with him. And IMO give them the best chance to win this year. And I believe that's the measure of every team isn't it? Winning championships? And another point is that a still playing Favre puts asses in the seats. I don't think anyone is going to a Packers road game to see Aaron Rogers play.....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Regardless of whether or not Favre's indecisiveness is a distraction, the Packers made the NFC Championship with him. And IMO give them the best chance to win this year. And I believe that's the measure of every team isn't it? Winning championships? And another point is that a still playing Favre puts asses in the seats. I don't think anyone is going to a Packers road game to see Aaron Rogers play.....

That all depends on how well Rogers plays. If he plays well, then there will be butts in the seats. If he doesn't then there will be chants for Brett to come out of retirement.

If Favre really wanted to squash these "rumors", he could do two things:

1. File the official paperwork for retirement from the National Football League.

2. Say that he's not coming back, he's retired for good.

However, he doesn't do either.

The Packers need to tell him you are either with us right now or you are retired, we want an answer from you right now before we hang up the phone.

Favre is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game, if not the greatest. But that greatness doesn't give him the right to hold the Green Bay Packers hostage like he has the past many years and like he is now in "retirement". The Packers have every right to move on from the Brett Favre era.

However, they cannot do this with the "rumors" of Favre wanting to come back. Maybe he did contact the Packers about it, maybe his agent did. Maybe he told a local newspaper reporter that he had the "itch" and all this got blown out of proportion.

CantStop85
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM

I don't think the Packers are worried about putting "asses in the seats." Packer fans are as loyal as they come, right up there with Steelers fans. How long is the waiting list to get season tickets now? 5 years?

Yeah, the Packers would probably be a better team with him, but that's not the issue. The issue is Favre can't make up his mind. So what do the Packers do in the meantime? Make plans for him to be the starting quarterback and hope that he does come back? What if he doesn't? That leaves them in an even worse position.

The Packers did their best to try and persuade him to come back after the season had ended, but he decided to retire. The Packers offered him the opportunity, but Brett said he was ready to move on, so the Packers were forced to as well. They can't just put everything on the back-burner every offseason with the hopes that Brett Favre will return.

If Favre really wants to come back, the Packers should trade or release him. Aaron Rodgers is their guy for the future...the longer Brett keeps coming back, the longer they're just prolonging the inevitable.

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think the Packers are worried about putting "asses in the seats." Packer fans are as loyal as they come, right up there with Steelers fans. How long is the waiting list to get season tickets now? 5 years?

Yeah, the Packers would probably be a better team with him, but that's not the issue. The issue is Favre can't make up his mind. So what do the Packers do in the meantime? Make plans for him to be the starting quarterback and hope that he does come back? What if he doesn't? That leaves them in an even worse position.

The Packers did their best to try and persuade him to come back after the season had ended, but he decided to retire. The Packers offered him the opportunity, but Brett said he was ready to move on, so the Packers were forced to as well. They can't just put everything on the back-burner every offseason with the hopes that Brett Favre will return.

If Favre really wants to come back, the Packers should trade or release him. Aaron Rodgers is their guy for the future...the longer Brett keeps coming back, the longer they're just prolonging the inevitable.

CS85, I respect your take on this...I just don't agree. You admitted in your last thread that Green Bay is a better team with Favre. How can you say that's not the issue?Isn't that the goal of every team for the season? To put the most competitive team on the field? I'm not disputing that Favre is handling this the wrong way....Im just saying that I'd bring him back with open arms. And yes, to someone else's post, Green Bay does have the right to move on from the Brett Favre era. But I don't hear anyone from Green Bay's front office saying that Rogers is our QB for this season , end of story. So if anything, Green Bay is allowing Favre to hold them so-called 'hostage'.

missedgehead
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
OH Please. Make him go away. I can not bear to hear any more stories about how gutsy he is, about how he played so well after his dad's passing, about his drug addictions, and his wife's cancer battle and how he is a man's man. I don't think I can take Madden's fawning over Farve. Blah, blah. Blah. Make Farve go away!!

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
OH Please. Make him go away. I can not bear to hear any more stories about how gutsy he is, about how he played so well after his dad's passing, about his drug addictions, and his wife's cancer battle and how he is a man's man. I don't think I can take Madden's fawning over Farve. Blah, blah. Blah. Make Farve go away!!

That's really not very Christian-like. Favre went through a lot of personal turmoils in a very short period of time and handled it like the consummate pro he is. I admire him not only as a player, but as a person. If there were more Brett Favre's in the NFL, the league would be much better off for it.

stlrtruck
07-07-2008, 03:07 PM
That's really not very Christian-like. Favre went through a lot of personal turmoils in a very short period of time and handled it like the consummate pro he is. I admire him not only as a player, but as a person. If there were more Brett Favre's in the NFL, the league would be much better off for it.

Hey, I admire him as a player and as a man (especially with all the trials he's been through) but I have to agree with the whole STAY RETIRED mentality. Especially with the way Madden slobbers all over Favre (brady for that matter too).

It's time he took his legendary career, settled down with his wife and kids, and waited for the HOF to come knockin' in five years.

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey, I admire him as a player and as a man (especially with all the trials he's been through) but I have to agree with the whole STAY RETIRED mentality. Especially with the way Madden slobbers all over Favre (brady for that matter too).

It's time he took his legendary career, settled down with his wife and kids, and waited for the HOF to come knockin' in five years.

Quite frankly, I'd much prefer to listen to Madden (or any other sports jock for that matter) slobber over an honorable man who proudly gave 16 years of his blood, sweat and tears to an honorable organization than to have an arrogant (but admittedly talented) jerk who can't keep his ding dong in his pants playing for the most dishonest organization in the history of the NFL constantly shoved down our throats.

Brett truly loves the game and I can't knock him for that. As I said above, I wish there were more Brett Favres in the NFL. I loved my career just as much and it was heartbreaking for me to walk away from it, so I can relate to his emotions in this regard.

LambertIsGod58
07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Quite frankly, I'd much prefer to listen to Madden (or any other sports jock for that matter) slobber over an honorable man who proudly gave 16 years of his blood, sweat and tears to an honorable organization than to have an arrogant (but admittedly talented) jerk who can't keep his ding dong in his pants playing for the most dishonest organization in the history of the NFL constantly shoved down our throats.

Brett truly loves the game and I can't knock him for that. As I said above, I wish there were more Brett Favres in the NFL. I loved my career just as much and it was heartbreaking for me to walk away from it, so I can relate to his emotions in this regard.

I dont' think I could've expressed this point better myself......Nice job HTG! Brett Favre is one of the things right in the NFL. Slobber or no slobber, it' s that simple. To see a man play as great as he did without missing a start in that time is simply iconic. And that's why people like Madden and myself slobber on him. I think he's earned it!!

stlrtruck
07-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Touche :duel:

lilyoder6
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
on nfl live 2day they said that brett farve sent a txt msg to the packers gm about the whole situation.. and the reply from the gm was that it would have to wait til he gets back from vacation

TackleMeBen
07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
the packer mgmt doesnt want favre back. they want to move ahead with rodgers. i think favre needs to make up his mind either retire or play!! every off season for what 2 yrs we go thru something with favre.

he should just leave his legacy the way it is.

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I think the tone of the text was kind of dismissive. I think it's best that Favre go out like Barry Sanders, not Sugar Ray Leonard (for those who don't know, Sugar Ray kept making comebacks and largely just embarrassed himself).

Big D
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I really believe that favre is more of a drama queen then T.O. and Oocho stinko combined. Guy cant go more then one week without wanting to hear his name in the news. Totally in love with himself

TackleMeBen
07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I really believe that favre is more of a drama queen then T.O. and Oocho stinko combined. Guy cant go more then one week without wanting to hear his name in the news. Totally in love with himself
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/Rubens_Dawn/Emoticons/dramaqueen.gif

HometownGal
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM

D - I love you to pieces - you know that, but I can't believe you actually posted what you did above. :yikes: If you don't know by now that this is a man who truly loves the game and not the atypical attention ho that infests the NFL today, you haven't been paying attention. :doh: Ever had to give up a career you loved? I have and I know the fluctuation of emotions, second-guessing and frustration that goes along with it all too well.

Big D
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
D - I love you to pieces - you know that, but I can't believe you actually posted what you did above. :yikes: If you don't know by now that this is a man who truly loves the game and not the atypical attention ho that infests the NFL today, you haven't been paying attention. :doh: Ever had to give up a career you loved? I have and I know the fluctuation of emotions, second-guessing and frustration that goes along with it all too well.

gotta disagree. He has held this team hostage for how many years? If he loves the game so much why retire when the team is still very capable of competing. He has turned into a complete joke. I hope the packers tell him to eat crow

benavidez
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
i think farve should stay retired hes to old

The Duke
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
i think farve should stay retired hes to old

:shake01:

he obviously can still play, his age barely seems to affect him, at least on the field. I love him to death, but I think he should stay retired cause he said he was gonna retire, if he hadn't sad anything about retiring in march then no problem, but he did, and doesn't seem fair to his team

I would love to see him play forever, even if it is for another team, and imo that's what he should do, ask for a trade. preferably to an AFC team

gotta disagree. He has held this team hostage for how many years?

he's "been holding his team hostage" since he said he had an itch to play,not before, all the previous years he was just playing and he had every right to

HometownGal
07-09-2008, 03:53 PM
gotta disagree. He has held this team hostage for how many years? If he loves the game so much why retire when the team is still very capable of competing. He has turned into a complete joke. I hope the packers tell him to eat crow

While I will agree that he should do some soul-searching and come to a final decision one way or the other, calling an NFL icon who is one of the most honorable men to ever play the game a joke is pathetic (sorry). Favre's total commitment to not only his team but to the game itself and his leadership even when the Pack stunk out Lambeau is a sheer testament not only to him as a player, but to him as a person. The Brett Favres of the NFL are a dying breed, sadly.

MACH1
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I seen on tv last night where one of his close family members said he was about 80-90% that he'll come back. The reason he wants to come back is because he felt like he was pushed into it by management and he wasn't ready to call it quits yet, still has a few good years left. Weather if its with GB or somewhere else isn't known yet. He's been working out and throwing the ball getting ready for training camp.

Aussie_steeler
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Brett Favre will come back to the packers for the upcoming season. He wants to play and he will no doubt find a way to play.

Reasons why he will be back.

1. The Packers cant afford to P*ss off the fans by cutting Brett loose. He is a legend in Wisconsin and all and sundry want that legend to remain intact. It would be tremendously bad from a PR situation to not accommodate his wishes. They need to keep him for the sake of the fan base.

2. They cant afford to let him go to another team in the NFC because he will come back to haunt them at some stage.

3. They cant trade him because the 4th or 5th round pick would not justify the grief that would come the organisations way.

4. Brett Favre at 60% is probably the equal of Rodgers at 100% when the game is on the line. You always will go with the proven winner.

5. Brett is definitely a football player first and foremost with a little bit of Hollywood Diva mixed in. He would miss the game, clubhouse and media attention way too much. I can see Brett hanging around until injury forces out ( a bit like Trent Green)

6. Maybe he thinks he can exit much like Elway with the Lombardi in his keeps.

IMO though I think he left at the right time. As a winner and with reasonable health.
I dont want to see this turn into a boxing like scenario when a legend comes back once to often and takes a little bit of sparkle off a stellar career.

verks36
07-09-2008, 08:44 PM
i actually want farve to return but only to the packers it is ashame that the packers arent welcoming him back with open arms after everything he gave to that franchise

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-10-2008, 07:01 AM
It's just a sad situation. I find myself agreeing with Big D, he's more or less keeping people on the strings. I totally understand and empathize with him, if he had said in March that GB was forcing him out and he felt he could play I'd be cheering him on. Fact is he retired, put the Packers through a draft with the idea in mind they needed QB security (their draft probably would've gone the same, but), and let Green Bay plan without him.

I'm definitely not saying you don't want to hear "A HoF QB is coming back to play" if you're running an organization, but it's probably frustrating.

It's incredibly unfortunate that Favre's reputation has already begun to take a hit due to this flip-flopping. Hopefully something can be worked out.

stlrtruck
07-10-2008, 08:18 AM
It's incredibly unfortunate that Favre's reputation has already begun to take a hit due to this flip-flopping. Hopefully something can be worked out.

Maybe he can try politics after he's "offcially" done in the NFL!

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Green bay should just let him come back and play, and trade Rogers while they can while he's worth something. Get a 1st and 3rd rounder for him, maybe a 2nd and 3rd and move on. If Favre wants to come back, let him I say, Braum will be a decent enough back up.

Godfather
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Green bay should just let him come back and play, and trade Rogers while they can while he's worth something. Get a 1st and 3rd rounder for him, maybe a 2nd and 3rd and move on. If Favre wants to come back, let him I say, Braum will be a decent enough back up.

Matt Flynn is a good player too. He just didn't get to show it much because he was behind JaMarcus Russell and then had a high ankle sprain last year.

The Duke
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
so he just asked for his release....

HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

this should be interesting....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
if released, he'll be snatched up by the Bears or the Vikings,

Right now the fans of those teams would say they don't want him...but they'd be slobbing him down like Madden once he's inked.

The Duke
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
if released, he'll be snatched up by the Bears or the Vikings,

Right now the fans of those teams would say they don't want him...but they'd be slobbing him down like Madden once he's inked.

and that would come back to bite the packers ass

they better trade him. I hear the bucs need another QB :flap:

Big D
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
so he just asked for his release....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

this should be interesting....

what an asshole. I mean seriously what did he expect? the packers would hold his position for ever. Not such an honorable guy after all

OneForTheToe
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow, John Madden won't need Viagra for weeks.:wink02:

Seriously though, while Favre's on again and off again retirement is more than a bit annoying, I woudn't be upset if he went to a team like the Vikings and got them to the Super Bowl- where, of course, they would lose on a last second TD pass from Ben to Hines. Favre has always played the game the "right way" and it would be cool if he went to an NFC team and kept the cowchips from a SB appearence.

I just wanted to add that is you consider how Favre played last season, and put him on a team with a running game, I think he could still be a top ten QB for a couple of seasons. The man has a "sick" durability about him.

lilyoder6
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
i doubt the packers woudl cut him.. if anything they'll either laet him sit on the bench, play him or poss trade him to a AFC team.. b/c no way in hell they would want to play him thru nfc playoffs or even 2 times a yr if he goes in-division

Steelman16
07-11-2008, 07:40 PM
i doubt the packers woudl cut him.. if anything they'll either laet him sit on the bench, play him or poss trade him to a AFC team.. b/c no way in hell they would want to play him thru nfc playoffs or even 2 times a yr if he goes in-division

You're right. If he gets released, Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit all could easily snatch him up and win the division.

Favre should just retire and be done with it. It'd make everything a lot easier, and everyone a lot happier in the long run.

OneForTheToe
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
You're right. If he gets released, Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit all could easily snatch him up and win the division.

Favre should just retire and be done with it. It'd make everything a lot easier, and everyone a lot happier in the long run.

.... except for maybe Favre.

MasterOfPuppets
07-11-2008, 11:47 PM

minnesota perhaps.....chicago,detroit, no way. farve has done nothing but whine, and talk about retiring for 3 years BECAUSE, the packers weren't competitive.chicago,and detroit, don't fit that description.

MACH1
07-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Tampa could use a good qb if they could swing it.

Galax Steeler
07-12-2008, 04:03 AM
It would be hard to see farve playing for someone else besides green bay I couldn't imagine him in a lions uniform.

FordsnSteelers
07-12-2008, 07:38 AM
they need to release him. but i cant bear to see him in any NFC north uniform. Panthers would be a good fit tho. Delhomos days are numbered at QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I've lost all respect for the alleged Iron Man of football.

After holding the Packers hostage the past 3 seasons, threatening to retire, holding press conferences at his annual golf tournament then saying nothing of his decision to retire or keep playing and now this??

I just watched an NFL films bit on Favre where he played at Souther Miss after having some of his large intestine removed and beating Alabama. Then I watched him cry on national TV announcing his retirement and a few months later he wants to dry up the tears and come back.

What he should have done was announce his retirement, have a farewell tour for a season and collect gifts from opposing teams. Then say he is coming back and keeping all the gifts just so he can jilt the whole NFL.

Favre Sucks.

rbryan
07-12-2008, 09:36 AM
IMO the only thing more annoying than Favres antics is the coverage this is getting. The media poked and prodded at this story to the point where it was inevitable that Favre had to play along being the drama queen he is.

How much you wanna bet he doesn't come back and play at all??? I can see it now. 3 or 4 more press conferences waffling back and forth before another teary eyed farewell. C'mon Brett, go ahead and take a TV job so you can stay in the spotlight. Maybe if we're real lucky they'll pair him up with Madden so he can spend half the game slobbering Bretts nob in the booth.

Tankus_Maximus
07-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Flip-Flop Favre

Godfather
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
IF he comes back, Atlanta makes sense. The NFC isn't that hard a place to contend for the playoffs, and sucky quarterbacking was what made Atlanta so bad last year. They could develop Ryan for a year behind Brett. It would also be a return to his original team.

But I don't think he's coming back. He says he isn't and until I hear from him that he changed his mind, I'll go with that. ESPN just likes to manufacture stories (see Miles to Michigan).

rbryan
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I can see it now. Favre ruins the career of a number 1 QB by holding the Falcons hostage until 2011.....That would be par for the course in the ATL.......lol

Whats the over under on the number of press conferences Brett has left in him??

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
this is already ugly and has all the ingredients to exceed Ugly Betty. Hmm wonder if :popcorn: Owens some how feel a bit jolted due to the spotlight not shining on him this off season.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iJ4dh7TkvXFMpdKZU9rITbou7jtwD91SELTG0

GM, coach: Packers don't plan to release Favre

By CHRIS JENKINS – 1 hour ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach say they don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release.

GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy told The Associated Press on Saturday that the star quarterback was welcome to rejoin the team but would have to be a backup.

It was their first public comments since Favre demanded his release this week. Favre held a tearful news conference to announce his retirement March 6.

Thompson and McCarthy did not want to discuss a possible trade. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries as of Saturday morning.

from profootballtalk.com

PACKERS: WE WON’T CUT FAVRE
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 12, 2008, 2:08 p.m.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson said today that they won’t grant Brett Favre’s request for his release.

But that just means the Packers don’t want Favre to play for another team. It doesn’t mean the Packers want Favre to play in Green Bay this season. Speaking to Chris Jenkins of the Associated Press, McCarthy and Thompson said Favre is welcome to rejoin the team, but that he would have to do so behind starter Aaron Rodgers on the depth chart.

By saying Favre would be a backup and will apparently not even get a chance to compete with Rodgers, McCarthy and Thompson are sending their strongest signals yet that they don’t want Favre back.

Thompson said he had not received any trade inquiries from any teams interested in acquiring Favre.

And the family get's in on it

FAVRE’S BROTHER: HE’S NOT WANTED
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 12, 2008, 12:47 p.m.

Scott Favre, Brett Favre’s older brother, says the reason Brett asked the Packers for his release is simple: The Packers don’t want him.

In an interview with Favre family friend Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, who can reliably be counted on to give the Favre family spin on any story, Scott Favre says, “Why wouldn’t he want a release? They have moved on. By not saying anything, it says a lot. If they wanted him back, they could have said, ‘if you want to come back, we want you back.’ Why would he want to go back, if he’s not wanted? You tell me?”

Jones criticizes Packers General Manager Ted Thompson for responding to a text message from Favre by saying he was on vacation and couldn’t talk, and he writes that Thompson has “an ego problem.”

If Jones is writing it, that means Favre thinks it. And that means Thompson had better be ready for a PR battle against the most popular player in franchise history.

OneForTheToe
07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Poor Aaron Rogers ... the pack better satart pretty strong or General Manager Ted Thompson is going to have one giant migrane.

The Duke
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Poor Aaron Rogers ... the pack better satart pretty strong or General Manager Ted Thompson is going to have one giant migrane.

one thing's certain, rodgers has no excuse to fail. he has quite possibly the best WR corps in the league, reliable TE, a developing and exciting young running back, a pretty good offensive line, great defense, and he learned for 3 years from a hall of fame QB.

if he fails, yeah, ted thompson and the packers will be in deep trouble, and they will regret this whole favre situation.

lilyoder6
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
yeah saw that that ted won't release brett favre w/ no strings attached.. b/c they don't want 2 play him 2 times a yr a poss the 1st game of the yr against the vikings... i think the only way he doesn't play 4 GB if he gets traded to an AFC team.. or maybe maybe he gets released w/ a clause saying he can't sign in-division.. but i see that one not happening

missedgehead
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I am siding with the Packers. Everyone talks about Owens being a "me" guy. The biggest "Me" guy on the planet is Brett Farve. Period. If he wants to be a Packer, like they said, he can be a BACK UP. Period.

LambertIsGod58
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I know it's a business, but I think it's funny that GB says that Brett can come back as a back-up. That shows that it's personal with the front office. There is no way that they can honestly think that Rodgers is better than Favre right now. But I hope Brett sits on the bench to take a major whack at their salary cap. Brett Favre has earned the right to play if he wants to play. IMO, Aaron Rodgers at best is a 2nd rate copy of Favre. He'll never be able to fill his shoes on or off the field. End of story.

LambertIsGod58
07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, I am siding with the Packers. Everyone talks about Owens being a "me" guy. The biggest "Me" guy on the planet is Brett Farve. Period. If he wants to be a Packer, like they said, he can be a BACK UP. Period.

Brett Favre, a "me" guy? Are you serious? The guy has mutilated his body for the love of the game. Have you ever been a pro athlete? So do you know what it's like to have to walk away from the game? I doubt it. Favre epitimizes what each NFL player should strive to be. To put his body through over 260 NFL starts at QB and be called a "me" player is simply pure ignorance. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinon but I have to draw a line somewhere. If you don't like Favre or how he's handled this situation is one thing. But a "me" guy?, LMAO!!!

HometownGal
07-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Brett Favre, a "me" guy? Are you serious? The guy has mutilated his body for the love of the game. Have you ever been a pro athlete? So do you know what it's like to have to walk away from the game? I doubt it. Favre epitimizes what each NFL player should strive to be. To put his body through over 260 NFL starts at QB and be called a "me" player is simply pure ignorance. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinon but I have to draw a line somewhere. If you don't like Favre or how he's handled this situation is one thing. But a "me" guy?, LMAO!!!

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

No bigger "Me" QB in the NFL than A$$ Chin Brady. As a team player as well as a human being, Fairy Tom doesn't make a hair on Favre's doopa.

Poor, poor Tommy the goat humper. :crying01::crying01::crying01:

RgOw5XooQoo

Edman
07-13-2008, 01:04 AM
The Brett Favre stroking in this thread is sickening. I know he's a HOF QB, but let's keep it in perpective here. Why are people blaming the Packers? They're didn't push Favre into retirement. Favre decided to "retire" earlier this year. Also, why jump on Aaron Rodgers as if this is his fault?

If Favre is not such a "me" player, why does he hold the team in limbo every damn offseason? The Packers could've easily let him go, but they couldn't because Packer fans can't get enough of the guy. And it would be a PR shitstorm just like what's happening now. Favre had his best shot to go out in style last year until he blew it against the Giants.

He's so good for the game? Yes he is. But as a person Brett Favre is showing he has just as big a ego and sleazy flip-flopper as anyone. He also has the biggest judge on his side: the public. Wether Favre retires or not, Packer fans already despise Aaron Rodgers with the passion of a fiery volcano.

fansince'76
07-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Brett Favre has earned the right to play if he wants to play.

Yes, but he hasn't earned the right to jerk around an entire franchise, and by extension, an entire city, in perpetuity. He needs to make a decision one way or another and stick to it. The "As Brett Favre Turns" soap opera every offseason for about the last 5 years has gotten pretty tiresome.

MACH1
07-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Yes, but he hasn't earned the right to jerk around an entire franchise, and by extension, an entire city, in perpetuity. He needs to make a decision one way or another and stick to it. The "As Brett Favre Turns" soap opera every offseason for about the last 5 years has gotten pretty tiresome.

I agree to a point.
If I were a GB fan I'd be upset year in and out waiting for him to make up his mind and I'd be pissed if he wanted released. Or he did come back and wasn't granted that release, then made a back up qb. I do believe he was pushed to the door a bit, but can't blame management not wanting to play the what if game. As of now if he wanted to come back I'd let him. After all who's going to fill the stands, Favre or Rogers? Who's the better qb, if Favre goes to crap there's always rogers to put in his place. Make Rogers earn that starting spot.

Galax Steeler
07-13-2008, 06:38 AM

Its the truth.:toofunny:

Big D
07-13-2008, 08:05 AM
it would be interesting to see what the reaction in here would be if ben played this game with the steelers for 5 years. But as we saw with the bill cowher episode homerism would sink in

missedgehead
07-13-2008, 08:22 AM

No bigger "Me" QB in the NFL than A$$ Chin Brady. As a team player as well as a human being, Fairy Tom doesn't make a hair on Favre's doopa.

RgOw5XooQoo

I call Brett a "Me" guy because all this is about HIM. That is why. Did you all LISTEN to his press conference when he "retired"? Or did you as Judge Judy says hear but you did not listen? He SAID, "I can STILL PLAY." That SHOULD have told you something. I KNEW that this so called RETIREMENT was BULL****!! He was not fooling me. I knew he didn't really mean it. I knew he was crying fake tears and crap. He left because Thompson didn't want him. Period. No more no less.

NOW, he wants back in. OF course, he does. He "can still play." All this crap is centered around HIM. Well, what about RODGERS? What is he doing there then? When is it going to be HIS TURN? I just heard Roethlisberger on Sports Center just now saying how Brett is one of the best and Brett can "do whatever he wants because he is Brett Farve" or whatever. Oh Ok. So Rodgers is supposed to just NEVER PLAY or NEVER START because Brett Farve can "do whatever he wants?" The team is supposed to not move on because Farve can do "whatever he wants?" The fans are not supposed to move on because Farve can do "whatever he wants?" We are supposed to see a badly deteriorated Farve play till it is so obvious he doesn't have it anymore because he "can do whatever he wants?" That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone say. I am sorry. :banging: :banging:

I am also so tired of the fawning over Farve. He has had his time and it is time to move on.

In my opinion, he is a me guy because look at all this attention he is getting. Why are we not hearing alot of attention about the Steelers sale? What about the upcoming HOF Class? Hmmmm? Because he announced that he wants back in. That is why. It is all about him. Period. Here are two big stories that should be dominating the off season but they are NOT because all we hear about is BRETT FARVE. I am sorry but he is NOT GOD. GOD is GOD not Brett Farve!!! Enough already!!

As for Brady, well, I am sorry that you have to resort to homophobic insults. Sad in this society that those are still acceptable. Funny, he isn't gay but still. Funny you attack someone who is the exact opposite of a "Me" guy. Brady is the only, or just about the only athlete I have respect for. Most pro athletes I have NO respect for. Like Farve, here. I do not see all the fawning over him. Same with Tiger Woods.

As for that other person who asked me if I were a pro athlete. That is the silliest argument ever. That is like asking a movie critic if he/she were an actor. You do not have to be an athlete to criticize one. We fans do it everyday. I know quite a bit about athletes and athletics to criticize them. I know Farve played 260 plus games hurt. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady also have never missed a start either and I am sure they played hurt also so enough with the Farve worship.

rbryan
07-13-2008, 08:25 AM
By most accounts he should have been cut 3 years ago (or at least forced to take less $). His bloated salary and declining play killed the Pack, yet they kept him around. Granted he's coming off a good season, but what are the odds of that happening again??

If he really wants to play he needs to restructure his contract so GB can either afford to keep him or at least be able to trade him somewhere outside the NFC north. The fanbase can move on if they get something in return and not have to endure watching him suit up for the Bears or the Bucs.

missedgehead
07-13-2008, 08:30 AM

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Big D
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
favre is nothing but a drama queen. Favre is a glorified vinny testeverde. He has been overrated his entire career. Favre has cost the packers more games then he has won them

rbryan
07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Not sure I'd go that far, but having the record for the most interceptions is a tough stat to live down.

X-Terminator
07-13-2008, 09:07 AM
I call Brett a "Me" guy because all this is about HIM. That is why. Did you all LISTEN to his press conference when he "retired"? Or did you as Judge Judy says hear but you did not listen? He SAID, "I can STILL PLAY." That SHOULD have told you something. I KNEW that this so called RETIREMENT was BULL****!! He was not fooling me. I knew he didn't really mean it. I knew he was crying fake tears and crap. He left because Thompson didn't want him. Period. No more no less.

NOW, he wants back in. OF course, he does. He "can still play." All this crap is centered around HIM. Well, what about RODGERS? What is he doing there then? When is it going to be HIS TURN? I just heard Roethlisberger on Sports Center just now saying how Brett is one of the best and Brett can "do whatever he wants because he is Brett Farve" or whatever. Oh Ok. So Rodgers is supposed to just NEVER PLAY or NEVER START because Brett Farve can "do whatever he wants?" The team is supposed to not move on because Farve can do "whatever he wants?" The fans are not supposed to move on because Farve can do "whatever he wants?" We are supposed to see a badly deteriorated Farve play till it is so obvious he doesn't have it anymore because he "can do whatever he wants?" That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone say. I am sorry. :banging: :banging:

I am also so tired of the fawning over Farve. He has had his time and it is time to move on.

In my opinion, he is a me guy because look at all this attention he is getting. Why are we not hearing alot of attention about the Steelers sale? What about the upcoming HOF Class? Hmmmm? Because he announced that he wants back in. That is why. It is all about him. Period. Here are two big stories that should be dominating the off season but they are NOT because all we hear about is BRETT FARVE. I am sorry but he is NOT GOD. GOD is GOD not Brett Farve!!! Enough already!!

As for Brady, well, I am sorry that you have to resort to homophobic insults. Sad in this society that those are still acceptable. Funny, he isn't gay but still. Funny you attack someone who is the exact opposite of a "Me" guy. Brady is the only, or just about the only athlete I have respect for. Most pro athletes I have NO respect for. Like Farve, here. I do not see all the fawning over him. Same with Tiger Woods.

As for that other person who asked me if I were a pro athlete. That is the silliest argument ever. That is like asking a movie critic if he/she were an actor. You do not have to be an athlete to criticize one. We fans do it everyday. I know quite a bit about athletes and athletics to criticize them. I know Farve played 260 plus games hurt. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady also have never missed a start either and I am sure they played hurt also so enough with the Farve worship.

Are you done hyperventilating yet?

Last time I checked, HTG can have any opinion she pleases on any player she pleases. You can disagree with her opinion without calling it - and by proxy, her - "stupid". Would YOU like it if someone called your opinion "stupid? and "silly?" Somehow I doubt it. I don't like or respect "Ass Chin" Brady either, which is my RIGHT to do. I don't have to kiss any athlete's ass, least of all his. You can go over to a Pats* board if you want all the Brady slurping you can handle, because you ain't going to get it here.

Lighten up.

missedgehead
07-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Are you done hyperventilating yet?

Last time I checked, HTG can have any opinion she pleases on any player she pleases. You can disagree with her opinion without calling it - and by proxy, her - "stupid". Would YOU like it if someone called your opinion "stupid? and "silly?" Somehow I doubt it. I don't like or respect "Ass Chin" Brady either, which is my RIGHT to do. I don't have to kiss any athlete's ass, least of all his. You can go over to a Pats* board if you want all the Brady slurping you can handle, because you ain't going to get it here.

Lighten up.

Dude, what in the heck is YOUR problem? I can also have an opinion about any player I want also. No? I follow three teams, dude. The last time I looked, I live in the United States of America. I have a God given right to follow as many teams as I want. I am sorry that you have an issue with that. That is your problem. Not mine. Deal with it. BTW, it was the person HTG was responding TO whose opinion I was calling "silly" and it was BEN's babbling about Brett's being able to do whatever he wanted that I was calling "stupid." I was NOT calling HTG's opinion stupid.

This is the second time that you have hassled me on this forum and I do not appreciate it.

As far as kissing butt and worshipping, I worship Jesus Christ: Luke 14:26-27 I do not worship any athlete or team. As the verse said, I pick up my cross and follow Him, not Brady, E. Manning, and sure as heck not Roethlisberger or Farve or any of these prima donna athletes.

Have a blessed day.

LambertIsGod58
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
favre is nothing but a drama queen. Favre is a glorified vinny testeverde. He has been overrated his entire career. Favre has cost the packers more games then he has won them

Why are you deleting my posts? I think you ought to be deleting yours when they are riddled with such ignorance.

fansince'76
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Why are you deleting my posts? I think you ought to be deleting yours when they are riddled with such ignorance.

He didn't delete your post, I did. His post didn't contain namecalling of other members here, yours did, which is why it was removed.

LambertIsGod58
07-13-2008, 03:32 PM
You must have deleted it b/c the proof was in black and white that everything you said about Favre was wrong. It takes such a big man to sit behind a computer and dictate what can and can't be said pertaining to your own arguments. Well, here it is again. I won't be surprised when it disappears.....So here's the proof ONCE MORE!!
Where did you learn your Math skills? LMAO!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/

LambertIsGod58
07-13-2008, 03:32 PM
He didn't delete your post, I did. His post didn't contain namecalling of other members here, yours did, which is why it was removed.

Why am I not surprise since you share the same opinon.....

LambertIsGod58
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Well, get moderators that can back up statements then. It's not like he just said he didn't like Favre. That I can deal with....you nor Big D have to like Favre. But when he's spewing crap like he did, I'm not gonna sit there and listen without responding with facts. And the name-calling was started by Big D if I remember correctly. Of members or not.

fansince'76
07-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Why am I not surprise since you share the same opinon.....

Has nothing to do with my opinion. I'm leaving your second post with the stats up - know why? Because you didn't start namecalling in it.

fansince'76
07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, get moderators that can back up statements then. It's not like he just said he didn't like Favre. That I can deal with....you nor Big D have to like Favre. But when he's spewing crap like he did, I'm not gonna sit there and listen without responding with facts. And the name-calling was started by Big D if I remember correctly. Of members or not.

That's just it - he didn't start any namecalling of other members here. Therein lies the difference. And since when is Big D a moderator here? News to me. And FWIW, I disagree with everything Big D said about Favre regarding the comparison to Vinny T and losing more games for the Pack than he's won. I do agree he has no right to keep stringing the team and the fanbase along as he's done every offseason for about the last 5 years.

beSteelmyheart
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
The Brett Favre stroking in this thread is sickening. I know he's a HOF QB, but let's keep it in perpective here. Why are people blaming the Packers? They're didn't push Favre into retirement. Favre decided to "retire" earlier this year. Also, why jump on Aaron Rodgers as if this is his fault?

If Favre is not such a "me" player, why does he hold the team in limbo every damn offseason? The Packers could've easily let him go, but they couldn't because Packer fans can't get enough of the guy. And it would be a PR shitstorm just like what's happening now. Favre had his best shot to go out in style last year until he blew it against the Giants.

He's so good for the game? Yes he is. But as a person Brett Favre is showing he has just as big a ego and sleazy flip-flopper as anyone. He also has the biggest judge on his side: the public. Wether Favre retires or not, Packer fans already despise Aaron Rodgers with the passion of a fiery volcano.

I couldn't agree more. I'm another one who's sick & tired of the yearly off-season B.S. with Brett Favre.
Ever since I heard him say that it "wasn't his job" to help Rodgers, it became obvious to me that it is all about him, it is all about his ego. He probably starts this crap every year just to keep himself in the limelight & hear the media just falling all over him year after year. And then he wants to throw a fit because they don't want him back? What a big baby.

KeiselPower99
07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Im sorry but he made his bed and now he needs to sleep in it. The team moved on and he needs to as well. I loved watching him play but either retire or cut him. Personally I think they wont cut him cause Minnisota Chicago and Detroit would pay out the ass to get him for just 1 year.

CantStop85
07-13-2008, 04:43 PM
That's just it - he didn't start any namecalling of other members here. Therein lies the difference.

But what if Brett Favre really is a member of this board?

That would just be awkward for all of us. :flap:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-13-2008, 05:10 PM
But what if Brett Favre really is a member of this board?

That would just be awkward for all of us. :flap:

:sofunny::toofunny::rofl::laughing::chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey, anybody see NFL network and Charles Barkley's comments? Chuck basically said he hates to see old guys stick around too long because they suck their last few seasons. Barkley admitted his game sucked his last couple seasons and wishes he could have gone out on a high note.

Barkley continued to say that Favre has sucked the past 3 or 4 years and the Packers probably should have released him then, but this past season was a great one for Favre, so he should retire and be happy he went out on a run to the NFC championship game.

I hope Favre plays for Tampa and goes out like some of the other greats like:

Franco Harris in Seattle
Emmit Smith in Arizona
Michael Jordan in Washington
Jerry Rice in Denver
Hakeem Olajuwon in Toronto

I bet that's how Big Irv would want it. Cry like a baby at your retirement in March, come back and play with some other team 4 months later and throw 25 INT's.

Ricky Henderson thinks that Favre is hanging on too long.

Big D
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM

last I checked these forums arent meant for opinions. Sorry I expresed mine. I also didnt know it wasn't alright to call out favre for his abilitys to change his mind like the green bay weather.

Big D
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
That's just it - he didn't start any namecalling of other members here. Therein lies the difference. And since when is Big D a moderator here? News to me. And FWIW, I disagree with everything Big D said about Favre regarding the comparison to Vinny T and losing more games for the Pack than he's won. I do agree he has no right to keep stringing the team and the fanbase along as he's done every offseason for about the last 5 years.

The comparison to testerverde was harsh and i'll admit favre is twice the qb testerverde is. Truth is I grew up in a viking house hold and I also admit the vikings are my second favorite team, so obviously I have a hatred for favre. However I do firmly believe that the media has painted him as the nfl poster boy the past 15 years. I dont believe that favre is even in the top 5 qbs the past two decades

Big D
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
You must have deleted it b/c the proof was in black and white that everything you said about Favre was wrong. It takes such a big man to sit behind a computer and dictate what can and can't be said pertaining to your own arguments. Well, here it is again. I won't be surprised when it disappears.....So here's the proof ONCE MORE!!
Where did you learn your Math skills? LMAO!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/

and so sorry you are so sensitive that you think me calling favre a drama queen is name calling :applaudit:.

tony hipchest
07-13-2008, 05:46 PM
all i know is this-

say our qb were in a freak motorcycle accident tommorow (or something) and on the verge of missing a season. (i know, far fetched, would never happen, but hear me out...)

with all things being equal- #1 defense, possible rushing leader from last year plus possible best rookie runner this year, hines, sweed, holmes, miller, etc....

who would you want the steelers to call on? batch? culpepper? leftwich? trade for kyle boller?

or brett favre?

if we needed it, id take favre in a heartbeat, because just like he does, i know he can still play.

here it comes.....

he'd look great in the black n gold (for the right price) :wink:

Big D
07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
all i know is this-

say our qb were in a freak motorcycle accident tommorow (or something) and on the verge of missing a season. (i know, far fetched, would never happen, but hear me out...)

with all things being equal- #1 defense, possible rushing leader from last year plus possible best rookie runner this year, hines, sweed, holmes, miller, etc....

who would you want the steelers to call on? batch? culpepper? leftwich?

or brett favre?

if we needed it, id take favre in a heartbeat, because just like he does, i know he can still play.

here it comes.....

ok so that happens tommorow... Would you want favre over batch even the batch has been in all the off season training camps?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Favre can still play........I believe that he made his decision on a single loss (playoff game) and made it too soon. He did what everyone wanted and made up his mind quickly to retire.... If he wants to come back.........he can still play better than most QB's in the league.......Let him come back and play for another team.......I think it is time for the packers to go in another direction. I think the Packers should release him. The only problem with that is............Favre will want to play for a team that has a shot to win

Big D
07-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Favre can still play........I believe that he made his decision on a single loss (playoff game) and made it too soon. He did what everyone wanted and made up his mind quickly to retire.... If he wants to come back.........he can still play better than most QB's in the league.......Let him come back and play for another team.......I think it is time for the packers to go in another direction. I think the Packers should release him. The only problem with that is............Favre will want to play for a team that has a shot to win

I think there is one team that he can go to and win... And that team is the vikings. I think the packers would be foolish if they gave favre his unconditional release

LambertIsGod58
07-13-2008, 05:57 PM
To be honest Big D, I have no problem with you saying how you feel. It's when you start stating things as facts. There are many players I don't like. Elway being one of them. By I'd never try and say that he's a Vinny Testeverde or that he's cost Denver more games than won them. That's laughable. I have never wavered on the fact how Favre has handled this situation over the past few years is wrong. I love Favre and what he brings to the league. He may even be my favorite non-Steeler of all time. But he's earned the right to change his mind like anyone else. And it appears that GB has made him feel not wanted, subsequently asking for his unconditional release. If they think he doesn't have "it" anymore, then why not just give him what he's askin' for? I pray to the football gods that he ends up in Minnesota or Chicago and puts it Green Bay's a**!!!

Big D
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
To be honest Big D, I have no problem with you saying how you feel. It's when you start stating things as facts. There are many players I don't like. Elway being one of them. By I'd never try and say that he's a Vinny Testeverde or that he's cost Denver more games than won them. That's laughable. I have never wavered on the fact how Favre has handled this situation over the past few years is wrong. I love Favre and what he brings to the league. He may even be my favorite non-Steeler of all time. But he's earned the right to change his mind like anyone else. And it appears that GB has made him feel not wanted, subsequently asking for his unconditional release. If they think he doesn't have "it" anymore, then why not just give him what he's askin' for? I pray to the football gods that he ends up in Minnesota or Chicago and puts it Green Bay's a**!!!

I stated in a previous post I didnt mean the testeverde comparison. It was sarcasm more then anything. I do believe that favre was and still is overhyped. And the next media beef cake is looking to be tony homo.

tony hipchest
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
ok so that happens tommorow... Would you want favre over batch even the batch has been in all the off season training camps?absolutely 100% yes. thats a no brainer in my mind.

in fact, maddox or kordell could know the playbook better than the coaches, and if favre was allowed to look at it for 1 week, id take him over the likes of them (or b. st pierre) too.

batch is good, just not favre good.

HughC
07-13-2008, 07:40 PM
One item that seems to be lost in this debate is the role of the media. Not just the fact that the Favre camp is using Chris Mortensen and ESPN to get their side of the story out to the public while Packer management uses Jat Glazer and FOX Sports to get the public on their side. The national media as a whole has assumed that Packer fans would be aghast at the thought of the team releasing Favre, yet when you look at Packer fan forums the sentiment is in favor of the jersey and not the player. I saw somewhere that NFLN monitored a Wisconsin sports talk radio station and three out of four callers sided with Packers management.

In my opinion the media has kissed Favre's butt way too much for way too long. I can totally understand the attention given to Manning and Brady; they are quartebacks of super bowl contending teams for each of the last eight years. Favre on the other hand has not been the QB of a SB contending team for a decade. The guy is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer thanks to his performance from '95 tp '99, but he's been living on reputation ever since then. Favre has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in the playoffs this decade, has thrown 100 interceptions in the last five years, and has thrown just four more touchdowns than interceptions over the last three seasons.

In the cold, harsh reality of the current salary-cap NFL, that does not add up to keeping a $13 million annual salary; that results in a trade or release, and rebuilding with another QB who may not be better this year, but is a better value today and a better long term choice.

Here's What I Do Not Understand About Brett Favre (http://thingswhatthings.com/?p=181)
Let Favre's Next Retirement Be Next Tearful (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25654841/)

And in the name of impartiality, a viewpoint from the opposing party:
Ted Thompson Cares About His Job Security, Not Brett Favre (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/12/our-take-thompson-cares-only-about-his-job-security/)

HometownGal
07-13-2008, 08:06 PM
ok so that happens tommorow... Would you want favre over batch even the batch has been in all the off season training camps?

YES, YES a THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Don't get me wrong - I love Charlie, but being honest here - I don't believe he could play effectively for more than a game or two at a time or take us into the playoffs. I believe without a shadow of a doubt Favre could (IF we had a decent OL, as Favre isn't quite as mobile as he used to be).

lilyoder6
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
i would want who ever gives us the best chance 2 win

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah he can still play, so fine.......trade him and get some value for him and let the guy play. Otherwise he can backup the QB the packers have tabbed as the future in Aaron Rodgers.

I'm just willing to bet that if he goes to Tampa with Gruden, or maybe Baltimore, that you will see the Favre of 2006 (18TD's , 18 INT's) or 2005 (20TD's, 29INT's) especially in a new offensive system.

I think there are a lot of people with cheese tainted glasses that think we will see the Favre in his prime, when he actually had 3 successive down years before last season.

I HAD a lot of respect for Favre, but after making the Packers twist in the wind for the last 3 offseasons he does this??? You can't go out and play after Big Irv's funeral and say "my dad would have wanted me to play football today".....then think. My dad would have wanted me to tearfully retire, then come back 4 months later saying I wan't to play.

Be a man and make a decision. He's like my wife trying to pick out a pair of shoes.

GBMelBlount
07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Favre never gives up. Competitive as hell. In fact, I'd rather have him on the line than Starks. He'd bite your effing knee cap off before he'd let you sack the QB. He loves the game and he loves to compete and THAT is why he's having a hard time dealing with retirement imo. Right or wrong, THAT is why I love this guy.

CantStop85
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah man, I bet the Steelers could get him for the vet minimum too, just because he'd want to play for such a great franchise. :wink02:

HometownGal
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah man, I bet the Steelers could get him for the vet minimum too, just because he'd want to play for such a great franchise. :wink02:

You wouldn't know anything about the Bungles having a "great franchise" would ya CS85? :flap::chuckle:

LambertIsGod58
07-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Favre never gives up. Competitive as hell. In fact, I'd rather have him on the line than Starks. He'd bite your effing knee cap off before he'd let you sack the QB. He loves the game and he loves to compete and THAT is why he's having a hard time dealing with retirement imo. Right or wrong, THAT is why I love this guy.

AMEN MEL!!!

Kittyfish
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
As a relatively new football fan (don't know much about Testeverde or the other history that has been mentioned), I'll just say this, as a relative outsider. I had nothing but the warm fuzzies for Favre; he seemed like a real stand-up guy who has had a remarkable career that finally came to a close. He left the game with a lot of class, and had pretty much everybody's respect and good wishes, across the board.

Now? Not so much. As someone earlier said, he's made his bed, now he ought to lie in it. Wanting to come back now puts the Packers and the league in a very difficult position, and it strikes me as selfish. "It's all about meeeeee and what I want, gimme gimme gimme, I'm a star and should be able to do whatever I want, no matter what I said before or the huge inconvenience it causes". No warm and fuzzies from me now, and I'm betting I'm not alone.

LambertIsGod58
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
As a relatively new football fan (don't know much about Testeverde or the other history that has been mentioned), I'll just say this, as a relative outsider. I had nothing but the warm fuzzies for Favre; he seemed like a real stand-up guy who has had a remarkable career that finally came to a close. He left the game with a lot of class, and had pretty much everybody's respect and good wishes, across the board.

Now? Not so much. As someone earlier said, he's made his bed, now he ought to lie in it. Wanting to come back now puts the Packers and the league in a very difficult position, and it strikes me as selfish. "It's all about meeeeee and what I want, gimme gimme gimme, I'm a star and should be able to do whatever I want, no matter what I said before or the huge inconvenience it causes". No warm and fuzzies from me now, and I'm betting I'm not alone.

What position are the Packers in? Release Favre....pretty simple if you ask me. They are ones who are all about me......they're too worried he'll put in their ass. If Rodgers is so great and the new face of the franchise, it's a pretty simple situation to handle. But they know the truth......that Rodgers has already alienated many of the Packer fans. And that he'll never be a Brett Favre!!!

rbryan
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Theres enough blame to go around on both sides. Why doesn't the FO just come out and ask him to renegotiate his contract? (Are they afraid of hurting his feelings???.......I think not......lol) $13mill is the real issue. No way Favre gets anywhere near that to play somewhere else.

Restructure his deal and bring him into camp and let them prove who should be starting. Rodgers gets hurt every other week just getting in and out of the shower. No reason to think he can play the entire season.

I still think Favre has been a drama queen but I can't get mad at him for changing his mind. How many times did Mario come back again....How about Michael Jordan??

tony hipchest
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
im still mad that barry sanders never came out of retirement. as a football fan first, i felt a little robbed of seeing a great player do great things, for a couple of extra years.

i always thought packers and lions games were "must see tv" because of those two players.

very few players have that type of impact on a non-fan of their particular team.

come on back favre!

OneForTheToe
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I think he should come back and tell everyone he now wants his name to be pronounced (favour).

missedgehead
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
What position are the Packers in? Release Favre....pretty simple if you ask me. They are ones who are all about me......they're too worried he'll put in their ass. If Rodgers is so great and the new face of the franchise, it's a pretty simple situation to handle. But they know the truth......that Rodgers has already alienated many of the Packer fans. And that he'll never be a Brett Favre!!!

The Packers, the last I looked, are in charge. Not Farve. The Packers sign or signed FARVE'S paychecks. :banging: No one is asking Rodgers to be Farve. Thank goodness. The kid should be his own man. Maybe the kid should not have said what he said the way he said it. The kid is not going to ever show what kind of QB he CAN be, HOWEVER if Farve is still in the picture. Last I read, the team said he can compete for the starting job but if they want Rodgers to be the starter , well, "Lord Farve" is going to have to know his role and shut his mouth. I just think Farve should just make a decision and stick to it. JMO

LambertIsGod58
07-14-2008, 12:03 PM
The Packers, the last I looked, are in charge. Not Farve. The Packers sign or signed FARVE'S paychecks. :banging: No one is asking Rodgers to be Farve. Thank goodness. The kid should be his own man. Maybe the kid should not have said what he said the way he said it. The kid is not going to ever show what kind of QB he CAN be, HOWEVER if Farve is still in the picture. Last I read, the team said he can compete for the starting job but if they want Rodgers to be the starter , well, "Lord Farve" is going to have to know his role and shut his mouth. I just think Farve should just make a decision and stick to it. JMO

Since when does this have anything to do with who is in charge? Last I looked it didn't. It's about a great player who loves the game wanting to come back. I don't remember all this negative hype about Jordan doing the same thing. And if you are gonna go that route, than I guess it can said that Green Bay signs Rodger's checks as well, right? Who cares? Since when is the NFL or the game of life fair? Who cares if Rodgers ever gets a chance? I know I don't. He's getting paid to play or sit the bench the last time I checked. If the Packers want to get on with the future of their franchise and go with Rodgers, I have no qualms with that. But don't hold Brett Favre, who has done so much for that franchise and the NFL, back from doing what he wants either.

MACH1
07-14-2008, 12:35 PM
They should cut him lose. Problem solved. The pack can move forward with rogers and favre can land a job on another team. If he's to old to play or washed up, why should gb care where he goes? Like TH said don't turn it into a barry sanders thing.

fansince'76
07-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh, the irony. I wonder if the CHFF writers have ever bothered to stop and wipe the Golden Boy's "man goo" off of their chins. I'm guessing not. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, Packers.

You’ve finally grown a set and said “beat it” to the pigskin paramour who has toyed with your emotions – and on-field competitiveness – for the better part of the 21st century....

....Never in sports history has an organization or its fans wasted so much emotional energy on a single player. The Packers and their fans were on fire with passion and love ... and the belief that Favre was the only thing that stood between a losing season and the typical early playoff exit that defined his years at the helm....

....Yet Favre fans are still smitten and his apologists among the media continue to blindly worship the indecisive, critical INT-tossing, Lambeau Field-legacy-killing QB as if he were an infallible golden god....

CHFF's Brady-Blowing Hypocrites Lambast Favre and his Fans (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2291_Favre_fans_give_love_a_bad_name.html)

Pot, meet kettle. The more "articles" I read at that site, the more of a joke I consider the site to be. :coffee:

tony hipchest
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, the irony. I wonder if the CHFF writers have ever bothered to stop and wipe the Golden Boy's "man goo" off of their chins. I'm guessing not. :rolleyes:

Pot, meet kettle. The more "articles" I read at that site, the more of a joke I consider the site to be. :coffee:correct me if i am wrong, but wasnt that site started by patfans to downplay/denigrate any of peyton mannings and bill cowhers accomplishments and to pass off as a Cold, Hard, Football FACT that neither of them would EVER win a championship as long as tom brady was in the league?

its so funny to read their stuff now since they have been forced to eat crow and lump manning in with brady as "the best QB". its even funnier how they applaud bradys huge numbers last year as proof he is the best while they always poo-poo'ed mannings obvious great stats.

what a crappy article. it reeks of the jealousy laden hard-on they had for manning all those years. the site seems to take it personally if anybody is not considered worse than brady.

then again, of the 5-6 patfans ive encountered who frequent that site, ALL try to pass their opinion off as fact. of course these are the same people who will die believing last years patriots were the best team ever (based on record and stats alone), and refuse to admit the 2001 or 2004 steelers might have been better than the 01 or 04 pats. (based on the same logic of records and stats, they were).

and based on the records and stats, favre will always be cosidered better than brady.

tony hipchest
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
favre will finally be interviewed tonight on fox news by none other than greta van sustren. :huh:

10 PM est

not sure how much "pigskin" they will discuss (and no, im not talking about her plastic surgery)

lilyoder6
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
only 200 ppl showed up 4 the rally of favre coming back

GBMelBlount
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
favre will finally be interviewed tonight on fox news by none other than greta van sustren. :huh:

10 PM est

not sure how much "pigskin" they will discuss (and no, im not talking about her plastic surgery)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

HometownGal
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Since when does this have anything to do with who is in charge? Last I looked it didn't. It's about a great player who loves the game wanting to come back. I don't remember all this negative hype about Jordan doing the same thing. And if you are gonna go that route, than I guess it can said that Green Bay signs Rodger's checks as well, right? Who cares? Since when is the NFL or the game of life fair? Who cares if Rodgers ever gets a chance? I know I don't. He's getting paid to play or sit the bench the last time I checked. If the Packers want to get on with the future of their franchise and go with Rodgers, I have no qualms with that. But don't hold Brett Favre, who has done so much for that franchise and the NFL, back from doing what he wants either.

Good post, LIG. :thumbsup: Couldn't agree with you more. If the Pack wants to go with Rodgers as their starter, fine and dandy, but don't hold Brett back. If he wants to be released from his contract and play for another team, I'd bet dollars to donuts there'd be at least a dozen teams, if not more, who would pick him up faster than we could say "the Pats* are cheating scumbags". Almost a guarantee he isn't going to get $13 million per season from any other team, but I don't believe for a minute Brett's desire to continue to play is based solely on the evil green.

For those who feel Favre sucks and is washed up, have a look at his career stats, hold your breath and soak your head in the nearest potty. :chuckle: :wink02: Keep in mind that our own beloved Terry Bradshaw had a career TD/INT ratio of 212/210, career passing yardage of 27,989 and a QB rating of 70.9 in 13 seasons as opposed to Favre's 15. I know, I know - Brad has 4 SB rings and Favre has 1, but Bradshaw, though a HOF'er and a legend in his own right, benefitted from 4 truly great teams during that SB stretch.

Rodgers will succeed Favre this season or next. For all we know, he may turn out to be another Cliff Stoudt, who was Brad's heir apparent. :horror::yuck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre#Records_and_milestones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Brett_Favre

Just a sampling:

Career Stats:

TD/INT ratio: 442-288
Passing Yards: 61,655
QB Rating: 85.7

2007 season (one of his best seasons ever):

TD/INT ratio: 28.15
Passing Yards: 4,155
QB Rating: 95.7

Believe me, I am not a Brett Favre apologist and as you well know, the Pack isn't my team, but I think the guy has earned the right to be given another shot whether in Green Bay or with another team. Just mho.

revefsreleets
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
"I'd rather have Derek Anderson"

< Browns fan convinced they are going to the Super Bowl this and every other year >

MasterOfPuppets
07-14-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts there'd be at least a dozen teams, if not more, who would pick him up faster than we could say "the Pats* are cheating scumbags". i dunno man......i've said it so many times, i can spit it out in .019 seconds.

GBMelBlount
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
PACKERS SHOULD GRANT HIS RELEASE

Favre: Packers should grant his release
Tells Fox News he feels unwelcome
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
By Chris Jenkins, The Associated Press
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
Brett Favre says that he did not retire because he didn't want to play in Green Bay.

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre finally is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released. The quarterback's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News on "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren."

"I am guilty of retiring early and there is a reason for that," Favre said, according to an excerpt provided to The Associated Press before last night's broadcast. "And the major issue is 'Why did he retire?,' and 'He asked for a release because he doesn't want to play in Green Bay.' That's not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying 'OK, that clears it up.'"

According to Van Susteren, who spoke to the AP by telephone yesterday afternoon, Favre said he was "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision, a notion Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy tried to dispel in an interview with the AP Saturday.

"Ted always wanted Brett back," McCarthy said. "We always wanted Brett back."

Favre told Fox he understands that the Packers want to move on -- but if they're doing so, they should let him go.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

Van Susteren -- who is from Appleton, Wis., is a Packers shareholder and previously had interviewed Favre and his wife, Deanna -- said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter. And while Favre said the Packers asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, he wants to be released to make sure he ends up on a competitive club.

Thompson said the team wasn't going to release Favre, but he could come back in a "different role than he was" because the team is committed to going forward with Aaron Rodgers. Thompson and McCarthy wouldn't discuss the possibility of trading Favre and said they hadn't received any trade inquiries as of Saturday.

Thompson and McCarthy gave AP a detailed description of their dealings with Favre throughout the offseason, including an episode a few weeks after Favre's retirement where the two were prepared to fly to Mississippi to seal the deal on a Favre comeback -- only to have the quarterback change his mind. In the interview, Favre said the Packers were dishonest, although the excerpt provided to AP did not offer specific instances Favre was challenging.

"If you move on, you tell me one thing, don't come back and tell the public ... just say it, 'You know, we've moved on and we'll work with Brett on whatever it is,'" Favre said. "Don't make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth."

McCarthy and Thompson also expressed concern Saturday that Favre spent most of the offseason questioning whether he still had the commitment to play football. But Favre told Fox News it wasn't going to be an issue.

"If I'm going to play it's going to be 100 percent commitment," Favre said.

Favre's interview -- which was receiving top billing over an interview with presidential candidate John McCain in promos for Van Susteren's show that aired during the day yesterday -- is the latest development in what is looking more and more like an irreparable schism between one of the NFL's most storied franchises and perhaps its most beloved quarterback. Thompson called the situation "gut-wrenching" Saturday.

"I mean, it hurts," he said. "I'm not talking about physically hurting, but the sensitivity. We understand where the fans are coming from. This is a hot-button issue that surpasses anything I've ever gone through."
Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
First published on July 15, 2008 at 12:00 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08197/897057-66.stm

LambertIsGod58
07-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I smell a PR cover up.......C'mon? "Ted always wanted Brett back"? McCarthy will say and do anything to protect his fat ass. Even if it means railroading the deity Brett Favre. This whole situation has caused my great disdain of the Packers organization.

LambertIsGod58
07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I know some of you may be interested in this site. So here it is......

http://www.bringbackfavre.com/

Edman
07-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Brett Favre hasn't earned **** except criticism. I don't care who he is or what he has done. He's just as bad as T.O at this point.

Once again, the Packers did not force Favre to retire. They didn't force Favre to give a sentimental sappy retirement speech. They stuck with the man for all these years long after Aaron Rodgers was drafted. They let Favre hogtie their offseason plans for years now.

This is a case of an organization letting a single player run their business, and it's come back to bite them. I don't blame the Pack one bit for not budging this time. This bullcrap by Favre has to stop.

LambertIsGod58
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Brett Favre hasn't earned **** except criticism. I don't care who he is or what he has done. He's just as bad as T.O at this point.

Once again, the Packers did not force Favre to retire. They didn't force Favre to give a sentimental sappy retirement speech. They stuck with the man for all these years long after Aaron Rodgers was drafted. They let Favre hogtie their offseason plans for years now.

This is a case of an organization letting a single player run their business, and it's come back to bite them. I don't blame the Pack one bit for not budging this time. This bullcrap by Favre has to stop.

Were you saying the same thing about Michael Jordan? I can't wait for Rodgers to fall flat on his face. :rofl: And you're naive to believe that Favre has 'hogtied' them for years. If so, they allowed it to happen. So they would be to blame just as much as Favre. But for obvious reasons I don't see anything like that in your post.

LambertIsGod58
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Hasn't earned anything? My God the man was throwing up pain pills just to clean them off and try puttin' them down again. Just to get on the field. Maybe he hasn't earned anything in your opinion, but I would ask you how much you've followed football since 1992? And what information do you have that dictates Green Bay didn't force Favre to retire? I'm eager to hear it...... I'd say everything that's happend to this point would suggest otherwise.

Edman
07-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Were you saying the same thing about Michael Jordan? I can't wait for Rodgers to fall flat on his face. :rofl: And you're naive to believe that Favre has 'hogtied' them for years. If so, they allowed it to happen. So they would be to blame just as much as Favre. But for obvious reasons I don't see anything like that in your post.

Michael Jordan didn't put up a fuss as big as this. Favre has done this "will I or won't I" retire crap for years now. When he gave the final confirmation to "retire" just a little ago, that was it. But now all of the sudden we wants to play again and has the nerve to demand to have his starting job handed back to him on a platter. As if he's immune to having to prove himself over again. So he plays this big baby temper tantrum to get the public on his side.

"The Packers are pushing me out" he said. No, Brett. You pushed yourself out and convinced others as well as yourself of that. The Packers stuck by this baby for years admidst all of the disappointments and season killing interceptions and now they're decided to move on. If you wanna play again, Brett. You'll have to win the job back.

The Duke
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
wow, only 932 so far?

I'm still torn, I wanna see him play till he can't anymore, but I would also like for him to stay true to his decisions.

anyway....why not? let him go back with the pack!

Big D
07-15-2008, 02:14 PM
anybody that thinks that favre has handled this in the right manner is nuts. He has acted like a little bitch. All he did was cry in his cheerios last night. I'm sick of this guy. Bonds, clemens and favre all need to just go away

Big D
07-15-2008, 02:20 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. They gave him another chance in late march when he decided to come back. Only to change his mind again. It's not the packers fault he cant make up his damn mind. I think that fans have to relate this to real life situations. The fact of the matter is no employer would let there employee play these mind games. Screw Brett favre.

Steelman16
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I think if I was Aaron Rodgers, I'd go in and hack that site to bits. :chuckle:

HometownGal
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I am number 996 to sign the Petition to bring Favre back.

Edman
07-16-2008, 07:48 AM
At this point I don't care if Favre returns or not. Either way, I've lost a lot of respect for the man. Either you have "passion" for the game or you don't.

In fact, I hope he does come back and start to soothe his gynormous ego, so when the Pack's season is down the tubes there will be no excuse to blame Aaron Rodgers.

stlrtruck
07-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I like Favre as a player. He did great things for the game and for his legacy on the field. However, his legacy off the field is becoming like a woman who can't make up her mind on what clothes she wants to out to dinner. You knew the time was coming, you had plenty of time to think about it, organize and prioritize but instead you wait until the last minute when things are going smoothly for everyone else and then you throw a monkey wrench in the mix.

I for one think he should stay retired. Although ending his career on that interception is ugly, it's better than the muck and the mire that's being created now. I truly think that Favre could help either the Packers or another team if he were to come out of retirement. However, I think he should be willing to come back and play second fiddle to Rodgers - at least until he proves he can't handle the starting position, then take over and, as previously mentioned here, earn your starting job back!

So either stay retired or hold a clipboard and wear a ball cap!

Big D
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
I have lost any remaining respect for this drama queen. This whole deal has been based on his pouting and not getting his way. All this is about is the packers not hiring mooch not resigning wahle and rivera and not signing randy moss. No player is ahead of their team. And now he's saying he's not hot on going to tampa. Be grateful you will play anywhere you freaking cry baby

missedgehead
07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, I have not gone through this entire thread so forgive me if this article was already posted, but this article sums up pretty much what I have been trying to say about Farve: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434609

(Yes, some here don't like Florio, but I could care less, it makes my points. )

1. He thinks the rules do not apply to him because he is "Lord Farve, the "God of the NFL." (Whatever)

2. He has constantly waffled about whether to retire or not every freaking offseason since at least 2002

3. He is a huge drama queen.

Enough already!!

rbryan
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I find it interesting that he's suddenly in no hurry to be reinstated. Why???? because he doesn't want to go to training camp next week.

Favre can't go anywhere else and he knows it, furthermore he doesn't really want to. Favre doesn't have the time or energy to learn a new system, the odds of him doing as well as he did last year are slim and none in GB let alone starting over elsewhere. He thought he could pull a Strahan and show up at the last minute and be welcomed back with open arms. Problem is the GB FO is apparently more sick and tired of his BS than he thought.

LambertIsGod58
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I find it interesting that he's suddenly in no hurry to be reinstated. Why???? because he doesn't want to go to training camp next week.

Favre can't go anywhere else and he knows it, furthermore he doesn't really want to. Favre doesn't have the time or energy to learn a new system, the odds of him doing as well as he did last year are slim and none in GB let alone starting over elsewhere. He thought he could pull a Strahan and show up at the last minute and be welcomed back with open arms. Problem is the GB FO is apparently more sick and tired of his BS than he thought.

Yeah, that's it.....he doesn't want to come to training camp even though he's done it almost half his life. And I think the problem is that the egos of the Packer front office are more into play than the rest of you realize. I believe I had heard something along the lines that the Packers hadn't been to the playoffs or hadn't won a playoff game in 25 years before Favre came into town. As many of you will disagree, for as long as I can remember it's Brett Fave and the Green Bay Packers, not the other way around. And I'm sincerely grateful that we don't have a GM like Ted Thompson. Someone's whose objective is to show who has the most stroke instead of putting the best team on the field!.

rbryan
07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
No doubt the FO has handled this about as poorly as they possibly could. They had to have known this was a possibility. Seems as though the GM is making it personal.

When does GB have to start paying his salary?? I guarantee he gets his release then. I can't fault the FO for dragging thier feet. Did you expect them to be nice guys so he's free to go sign with Minnesota tomorrow?

LambertIsGod58
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
No doubt the FO has handled this about as poorly as they possibly could. They had to have known this was a possibility. Seems as though the GM is making it personal.

When does GB have to start paying his salary?? I guarantee he gets his release then. I can't fault the FO for dragging thier feet. Did you expect them to be nice guys so he's free to go sign with Minnesota tomorrow?

I don't expect GB's front office to be nice guys....I guess I expected them to do the right thing. For what Favre has done for the franchise and city, I think he's earned to play elsewhere if he so chooses.

Big D
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't expect GB's front office to be nice guys....I guess I expected them to do the right thing. For what Favre has done for the franchise and city, I think he's earned to play elsewhere if he so chooses.

I dont think he has "earned the right" to do jack. Fact of the matter is that nobody put a gun to his head and made him retire. And the packers did give him the option to come back a month later in indecisive favre once again changed his mind and wanted to stay retired. No one player is over the game. Not even the great brett favre

xfl2001fan
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM

Actually, I think their current cap situation would allow him to play as their backup. That'd be one hell of an expensive backup though.)

I suspect that (if anything) they'd attempt to work out a trade with some other team if he did actually come back.

Brett's basically playing a "we'll see who has more to lose" type game with them, but the's starting to realize that they do actually own all the cards. There isn't much that he can do to hurt the FO and if he comes back and starts playing mind games with the players to spit the team, he'll lose even more respect from the fans. It's a no-win situation for him. That it's of his own devices makes it that much of a harder pill for him to swallow.

LambertIsGod58
07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Actually, I think their current cap situation would allow him to play as their backup. That'd be one hell of an expensive backup though.)

I suspect that (if anything) they'd attempt to work out a trade with some other team if he did actually come back.

Brett's basically playing a "we'll see who has more to lose" type game with them, but the's starting to realize that they do actually own all the cards. There isn't much that he can do to hurt the FO and if he comes back and starts playing mind games with the players to spit the team, he'll lose even more respect from the fans. It's a no-win situation for him. That it's of his own devices makes it that much of a harder pill for him to swallow.

I can't imagine that they'll pay him to $13 mil to hold a clipboard.....Although I hope he forces their hand in doing so.

xfl2001fan
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't imagine that they'll pay him to $13 mil to hold a clipboard.....Although I hope he forces their hand in doing so.

Yeah, it would be rediculous to do so, but it's within their budget to do so, which means that they eat the money (essentially paying him for what he's accomplished, not what they expect him to accomplish.)

The thing is, do you think he'll "suffer the indignity" of being benched, regardless of salary. It's not like he needs the money, so there's really only pride left. My guess is that if he did force the issue, he'd have to learn to check his pride at the door (which is a lesson he apparently needs to learn anyways.)

LambertIsGod58
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it would be rediculous to do so, but it's within their budget to do so, which means that they eat the money (essentially paying him for what he's accomplished, not what they expect him to accomplish.)

The thing is, do you think he'll "suffer the indignity" of being benched, regardless of salary. It's not like he needs the money, so there's really only pride left. My guess is that if he did force the issue, he'd have to learn to check his pride at the door (which is a lesson he apparently needs to learn anyways.)

While we both agree that it would be crazy to pay him that kind of money to sit....I think that's their penalty for not just giving him what he wants. It's obvious they don't want him and it's pretty immature to have a "we don't want you but we're not gonna let anyone else have you either" type mindset. He wants to play football for cryin' out loud. Isn't that what we're talkin' about here?

rbryan
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
You might have a point. But I've always had the feeling it was about the money. I'm guessing if Favre had not retired they would have asked him to take less $ this year. This has gotten so ugly they may just force him to play backup whether he wants to or not. Nothing he can do about it. I don't have that much faith in Rodgers lasting the season anyway. Favres only way out is if they can agree on a deal that allows GB to trade him out of the division and get something in return.

The longer this drags out the less he's worth to anyone.

xfl2001fan
07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm guessing they're sick of his little mindgames though. I'll play, no I won't, yes I will, no I won't, please just let me go. He's been dragging them along for far too long.

Besides, how would the fans react if they let him go somewhere else and he won a championship? Or, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt (somewhat likely) or flops (even morelikely) and they then have to turn to Brian Brohm? At least, as a backup, if Aaron flops, they've still got Favre. He becomes the insurance for them that they will need this coming season.

LambertIsGod58
07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=xfl2001fan;413857]I'm guessing they're sick of his little mindgames though. I'll play, no I won't, yes I will, no I won't, please just let me go. He's been dragging them along for far too long.

Besides, how would the fans react if they let him go somewhere else and he won a championship? Or, if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt (somewhat likely) or flops (even morelikely) and they then have to turn to Brian Brohm? At least, as a backup, if Aaron flops, they've still got Favre. He becomes the insurance for them that they will need this coming season.[/QUOTE/]

I'd agree with you on this one...however, Favre is the proven guy. And to worry about the fans I think is BS. If he were to win a championship with another team then shame on GB for not doing the right thing, the smart thing and the obvious thing of welcoming him back as their starting QB to begin with.

LambertIsGod58
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
By most accounts he should have been cut 3 years ago (or at least forced to take less $). His bloated salary and declining play killed the Pack, yet they kept him around. Granted he's coming off a good season, but what are the odds of that happening again??

If he really wants to play he needs to restructure his contract so GB can either afford to keep him or at least be able to trade him somewhere outside the NFC north. The fanbase can move on if they get something in return and not have to endure watching him suit up for the Bears or the Bucs.

Declining play? He had no talent around him for a year or two. He had to make plays if they were gonna win.