PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh sets new deal

TackleMeBen
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Approaching his 20th anniversary as talk radio's most dominant force, Rush Limbaugh has signed a lucrative new deal with Premiere Radio Networks that will keep him on the air until 2016.

Premiere wouldn't disclose details on Wednesday, but Limbaugh told The New York Times in an article to be published Sunday that he would be getting a nine-figure signing bonus and would make about $38 million a year.

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?ps=1016&rip_id=%3CD91LUSDG0%40news.ap.org%3E&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Meanwhile, Air America struggles to stay solvent/on the air.

Here's the thing. The left spends too much time bashing business, both big and small, yet that's where all the revenue streams are. Until left radio realizes they can't bash their advertisers, right wing radio will always dominate...what is REALLY scary is the prospect of the government mandating that there be equal time between the two, even when the marketplace has clearly spoken to the contrary.

I don't care for Rush all that much...he's more of an entertainer than purveyor of facts, yet the dittoheads heed his every word as gospel which is very, very dangerous. Even though I'm center/right, I actually enjoyed listening to Al Franken more because he was a comedian pontificating about political stuff, not a political guy trying to be a comedian, and I never got the impression he was trying to indoctrinate his audience.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
i use to listen to rush all the time. now i listen to sport talk radio..i still like rush, but i am not a die-hard fan, but i do listen every now and then.

stillers4me
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't mind Rush. I'm capable of recognizing sarcasm.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 09:24 AM
when i was in college i use to listen to sean hannity.. i love hannity..lol

pitt
07-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Good for Rush!

GBMelBlount
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
revefsreleets

Meanwhile, Air America struggles to stay solvent/on the air.

Here's the thing. The left spends too much time bashing business, both big and small, yet that's where all the revenue streams are. Until left radio realizes they can't bash their advertisers, right wing radio will always dominate...what is REALLY scary is the prospect of the government mandating that there be equal time between the two, even when the marketplace has clearly spoken to the contrary.

I don't care for Rush all that much...he's more of an entertainer than purveyor of facts, yet the dittoheads heed his every word as gospel which is very, very dangerous. Even though I'm center/right, I actually enjoyed listening to Al Franken more because he was a comedian pontificating about political stuff, not a political guy trying to be a comedian, and I never got the impression he was trying to indoctrinate his audience.

This is what baffles me about so many (though not all) on the left. There are so many on the left that act like businesses are all evil and greedy and the cause of our countries problems, then look to the most evil and greedy crook, the government, for the solutions. Businesses and capitalism in general, tend to thrive with less government, but the reverse is not true. Capitalism and less government is what made this the greatest country the in the world. Not the strangling regulations, taxes and agendas currently being imposed by our government.

And although I rarely listen to him, I enjoy Limbaugh and think he is funny as hell.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
i would always listen to rush on my way to meet my boyfriend for lunch. since it was about a 20 min drive from downtown atlanta to marietta where he co-oped. i got to listen to rush. i dont agree with everything he says, i do find him funny and his parodies are great..

Dino 6 Rings
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Good for Rush, he's earned this money as much as any high paid entertainer or athlete in this country. He's been at the top of talk radio for most of his career and has inspired and opened the door for others like Hannity, OReilly, Savage, Boortz, and Beck to make a living doing the same thing he does.

millwalldavey
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Should be enough $$$ to keep him in painkillers for years!

Atlanta Dan
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
NY Times Sunday Magazine has a lengthy profile on El Rushbo this coming Sunday

He certainly isn't bashful about his perceived role in modern American politics

But in my heart and soul, I know I have become the intellectual engine of the conservative movement.”

And like most entertainers he has few kind words for his competitors:

Limbaugh told me he is no longer concerned about the opinions of his colleagues and rivals, and he makes no effort to disguise his contempt for most of them. Michael Savage, ranked No. 3 among talk-radio hosts by Talkers magazine? “He’s not even in my rearview mirror.” Garrison Keillor? “I don’t even know where to find NPR on the dial.”

At dinner the night before, Bill O’Reilly’s name came up, and Limbaugh expressed his opinion of the Fox cable king. He hadn’t been sure at the time that he wanted it on the record. But on second thought, “somebody’s got to say it,” he told me. “The man is Ted Baxter.”:sofunny:

Limbaugh does have his favorites. He admires Ann Coulter’s ability to outrage liberals. He is a fan of the columnists Camille Paglia and Thomas Sowell, both of whom he considers honest thinkers. And he is especially impressed by the essays of Christopher Hitchens. “He’s misguided sometimes, but when you read him, you finish the whole article.”

Limbaugh has a deeply conflicted attitude toward Sean Hannity, his one-time stand in and now perpetual No. 2 on the Talkers list. He speaks of the younger man with the same condescending affection that Muhammad Ali once showed Jimmy Ellis, a former sparring partner turned challenger. But he wanted me to remember who is the Greatest. “I have no competitors,” he said. “Hannity isn’t even close to me.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/magazine/06Limbaugh-t.html?ref=magazine&pagewanted=print

Rush is incredibly good at what he does and has come a long way from his days spinning platters as Jeff Christie at KQV

vasteeler
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I dont mind Rush as long as he stays away from football

stillers4me
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I dont mind Rush as long as he stays away from football

I don't know about that......he is a Steelers fan!

GBMelBlount
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
At dinner the night before, Bill O’Reilly’s name came up, and Limbaugh expressed his opinion of the Fox cable king. He hadn’t been sure at the time that he wanted it on the record. But on second thought, “somebody’s got to say it,” he told me. “The man is Ted Baxter.”

That is quite funny. "Ted Baxter" was hilarious.

TackleMeBen
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
i knew that he was a very smart man..lol

millwalldavey
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM
The only Steelers fan I do not consider my brother.

Godfather
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Kind of sad that he gets that kind of contract instead of George Will, Monica Crowley, Cal Thomas, or Kathleen Parker.

Atlanta Dan
07-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Kind of sad that he gets that kind of contract instead of George Will, Monica Crowley, Cal Thomas, or Kathleen Parker.

Free market at work - Rush makes more money for Clear Channel than any on those writers do for their syndicators

Godfather
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Free market at work - Rush makes more money for Clear Channel than any on those writers do for their syndicators

Oh, I understand that. It's just a sad commentary on our society that Hush Bimbo makes more money than the others I listed, all of whom are far more intelligent and articulate advocates for the conservative viewpoint.

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh, I understand that. It's just a sad commentary on our society that Hush Bimbo makes more money than the others I listed, all of whom are far more intelligent and articulate advocates for the conservative viewpoint.

It's bread and circus, baby...

Preacher
07-05-2008, 08:50 PM
The only Steelers fan I do not consider my brother.

Then you let politics dominate your life too much.

As much as I dislike him, I consider Snoop Dog a Steelers brother and would talk Steelers with him for an hour.

Stlrs4Life
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM

Makes me sick. He's nothing but a big fat tub of lard. And full of Hot Air. Him and Madden are probably doing each other.

The guy can die in a fire for all I care.

Preacher
07-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Makes me sick. He's nothing but a big fat tub of lard. And full of Hot Air. Him and Madden are probably doing each other.

The guy can die in a fire for all I care.

Really?

Because you disagree politically with him?

Just a bit overboard don't you think?

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't care much for him, and I don't like Ann Coulter either, but I don't wish death on them. I just don't listen.

Stlrs4Life
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Really?

Because you disagree politically with him?

Just a bit overboard don't you think?

Yes, and no, not at all. He is too extreme.

Vis
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Fight the good fight, Dom

Preacher
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, and no, not at all. He is too extreme.

And you think you're mainstream?

You are just as extreme to the left as he is to the right.