PDA

View Full Version : What's Nate's Future (Here and Beyond)?

TasmanianTroy271
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I think we can all agree that with Sweed being drafted, the chances of Nate sticking around were greatly decreased. I'm wondering what you guys think'll become of Nate? Some of us are fans, and some of us aren't, but he was our #3 receiver, and might start this season as such.

Long term, I think we keep Sweed to progress with Santonio, but do you guys think Nate might be signed somewhere else and compete for a starting job? He is only 25, and we all knew he was a developmental player out of Tiffin.

Our team is pretty much set up with a nice mix of youthful potential and seasoned vets, but I think Nate is the player who we part ways with, but also has alot of potential. What do you guys think?

Steelman16
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't see him coming back next year, but I could be wrong.

It's a hard one to say. Ben seems to like throwing to him, and we all know his influence in those matters. :wink02:

For the very fact he was one of our projects, I think we should keep and enjoy the hard work. But he's also young and tall and some other teams might have an interest in him.

This one is hard to call for me.

The Duke
07-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Right now the receiving corps is great, but in 2-3 years hines may retire, and if we lose both hines and nate that would be a huge blow, and the team may need to draft another receiver in the 1st day while that pick could be used to upgrade the lines.

so imo he should be given a fair contract next season depending on how he does this year, which I think he'll be good after his late season performance in 07.

and the other receivers in the roster? those "giants" that have yet to show something on the field, unlike nate, I hope they show something in case nate doesn't come back. but I'm not holding my breath

RoethlisBURGHer
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
If he loses the #3 receiver role to Sweed this year, he's definatly gone after this season.

I can see any of the other teams in the division picking him up to at least pick his brain.

revefsreleets
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Um, why would he go anywhere else? It's not like we'll only keep 3 WR's...if he loses the job to Sweed, he can still have a place on this team. We do run 4 wide sets sometimes, and we also need depth at the position. I remember we kept Will Blackwell around for years as a like #5 WR.

MasterOfPuppets
07-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Um, why would he go anywhere else? It's not like we'll only keep 3 WR's...if he loses the job to Sweed, he can still have a place on this team. We do run 4 wide sets sometimes, and we also need depth at the position. I remember we kept Will Blackwell around for years as a like #5 WR.really.....i don't see ANYBODY throwing much cash at a reciever with butterfingers.

Boomerang
07-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah i see him gone pretty soon but reckon he will find a home where they need some WR depth.

lilyoder6
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
i hope he resigns w/ us honestly.. he'll be a good number 4 wr 4 us and when the time does come 4 hines to retire we will still have 3 good wr's rather than just 2...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I think that he will resign with us. As stated before, Hines is in the final years of his career and Nate can stick around and bethe number three guy once Ward retires(that is if he loses it to Sweed in the first place).

LVSteelersfan
07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
He knows the playbook and is a fairly decent receiver. I like him better than Willie Reid and Dallas Baker. Reid has just not lived up to his hype and seems to be a detriment to our team. Maybe I should have more faith in him, but I shudder any time he catches the ball as he tends to fumble it after the catch a lot. And Baker has been hanging around for a few years and still hasn't made it past the practice squad. We need enough WRs for some depth so I think Nate will still be here although he may not play much. Perhaps he can play some STs for us as well.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-03-2008, 09:43 PM
And Baker has been hanging around for a few years and still hasn't made it past the practice squad.

Baker was a rookie last year. He's only been with us for one season.

MDSteel15
07-03-2008, 11:09 PM

I'm glad you said it! What is wrong with you all? I gave Nate every bit of confidence when he came in and hoped he would develope. Washington makes the "FANTASTIC" catches but let it hit him in the chest and he drops it every time! After this year you can kiss hiss butt goodbye.... :applaudit:

trish
07-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see him stay also. He needs some work, I agree..but he's a good athlete.

ShutDown24
07-04-2008, 12:19 AM
I would keep him unless it turns out to be very difficult. I expect a lot of interest in him from other teams however this upcoming off-season.

Galax Steeler
07-04-2008, 07:42 AM
I would also like to see washington stick around he is not that bad of a reciever as someone stated above when ward is gone we wont be hurting that bad.

rbryan
07-04-2008, 07:51 AM
I thought we extended his contract recently. What website do you guys go to to find out info like that?

The Duke
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I thought we extended his contract recently. What website do you guys go to to find out info like that?

yeah,1 year contract . I think that''s because he was a restricted free agent, or unrestricted :noidea:

stlrtruck
07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Honestly I think Nate's future here is going to be determined by his ability or lack there of to make himself an impact player. If he continues with the status quo of only showing glimpses of his potential then he'll be gone at the end of the season. If he can actually break through then I see him sticking around.

However, the wild card in all this is that tall kid out of Texas. Sweed could push too much and make Nate expendable - but then again what's wrong with having 4 WRs that prove to be dangerous?

Mosca
07-04-2008, 10:04 AM
And Baker has been hanging around for a few years and still hasn't made it past the practice squad. We need enough WRs for some depth so I think Nate will still be here although he may not play much. Perhaps he can play some STs for us as well.

Mark my words... Dallas Baker is the next John Kuhn.

19ward86
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
i almost garuntee we use him a lot this season, he might only have 20-30 catches but as the 4th wide out he should be open deep quite often and i believe he will have a big year. I would love for us to give him a long term deal but he will probably sign with the cards after they trade boldin. You know, they have been signing like every 1 of the players we released in the last 2 seasons.

Mosca
07-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I would love for us to give him a long term deal but he will probably sign with the cards after they trade boldin. You know, they have been signing like every 1 of the players we released in the last 2 seasons.

Then they should finish about like we did about 2 years ago....

LVSteelersfan
07-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Hmm, I thought I remembered Baker being there two years ago. Shows what I remember. The years are just melding into each other for me any more. That is what happens when you reach old curmudgeonhood.

I honestly hope every ball is thrown to Santonio, Hines, Sweed, Heath Miller, Mewelde Moore, and Mendenhall. I remember Nate missing a critical catch here and there. Gotta move them chains. A lot of teams would DIE to have those kind of receivers. I think we will have some of the best for years to come.

I imagine the Steelers will hang on to Nate for depth purposes. And as someone else said, Hines won't be around forever. We need to concentrate on the lines the next couple of years in the draft.

TackleMeBen
07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
i am sure if he doesnt work out here...there is the jv team in the desert that would take him..lol:rofl:

Michael Keller
07-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Elite teams do not wait for 3 years for a player to become an eite third receiver. I was hoping last year Nate's athleticism , speed and jumping ability would shine through. It didn't and I am less confident now that it ever will . I am looking for another sleeper player and the departure of Nate sooner rather than later.

tony hipchest
07-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Elite teams do not wait for 3 years for a player to become an eite third receiver. I was hoping last year Nate's athleticism , speed and jumping ability would shine through. It didn't and I am less confident now that it ever will . I am looking for another sleeper player and the departure of Nate sooner rather than later.why wait 3 years? nate is already an elite #3 in the league.

his stats compared to other #3's in the league say as much.

The Duke
07-05-2008, 01:23 AM
why wait 3 years? nate is already an elite #3 in the league.

and on a team that ran the ball more than they threw.

nate's staying , at least for a few more years

Davison_K
07-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Nate is a solid number 3. I wish he would hang on to the ball more on some of those 3rd and 7s that we need the first... But he makes some big catches... I think him sticking around depends more on the development of players like Baker and some of the other "giants" than on his own play this season. If Baker steps up and shows he can play the 4 and Sweed has a good year I really don't see a huge need for him... But I like the guy none the less and would really like to see him stick around... We will need a solid 3/4 after Ward retires.

Granted if he is downright awful and none of the other players step up I don't see him kept around but even if his play is equal to that of last year and the other players step up, I see his time as a Steeler being over after this season.

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
He knows the playbook and is a fairly decent receiver. I like him better than Willie Reid and Dallas Baker. Reid has just not lived up to his hype and seems to be a detriment to our team. Maybe I should have more faith in him, but I shudder any time he catches the ball as he tends to fumble it after the catch a lot. And Baker has been hanging around for a few years and still hasn't made it past the practice squad. We need enough WRs for some depth so I think Nate will still be here although he may not play much. Perhaps he can play some STs for us as well.

Reid I have given up on, but from what I have been hearing I want to see Baker play before I cross his name off.

Besides I would not be surprized if we take another WR next year if a kid like Pat White falls into the 4th round.

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I like Washington, he's very athletic. Not the best hands ever, but if he doesn't get too big for his britches and demand #2 pay, I hope he stays. It'd be great if Baker pans out and we have four solid WRs after Hines retires (God forbid), the oldest of which is 25 as of right now? :tt02:

Unfortunately, I could see him getting peeved at the Sweed situation + Baker moving up and wanting to be a sure-fire #3 somewhere. Seems to be the trend around the league. :coffee:

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Besides I would not be surprized if we take another WR next year if a kid like Pat White falls into the 4th round.[/QUOTE]

pat white is a qb?? unless u want to turn him into another randle el player...

i hope he stays.. he's better than most # 3 wr's in the league and would keep or wr core stacked

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Besides I would not be surprized if we take another WR next year if a kid like Pat White falls into the 4th round.

pat white is a qb?? unless u want to turn him into another randle el player...

I beleave that the plan several teams have for him, and it not exactly a new idea to the Steelers.

Give It To Abercrombie
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM
why wait 3 years? nate is already an elite #3 in the league.

Bingo. :drink:

43Hitman
07-05-2008, 03:36 PM

How dare you compare Dallas Baker to the one and only SUPER DUPER HALL OF FAMER John Kuhn. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.:wink02:

MDSteel15
07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I think it worked out well converting Hines ward into a WR, why not Pat White?

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah but will pat want to be a wr?? if he doesn't then it would be waste

steelreserve
07-05-2008, 07:38 PM
He'll be a role player for us until he starts demanding more money than he's worth, or until some dumbass team like the Redskins or Cardinals offers it to him on their own. I'm betting that's what'll happen, because they'll still think he has so much "potential."

I don't really care. Unless he has some huge breakout season, wide receivers like this are a dime a dozen.

MDSteel15
07-05-2008, 08:13 PM

I don't know about you, but if it were me and meant a chance to play in the NFL, I'd play ANY postion on the field I was asked to try and play! :twocents:

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 09:06 PM

I don't think he will do much if anything as an NFL QB, but he could be a pretty good WR. Sort of like Kordell Stewart.

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 10:09 PM
u don't know if he'll do anything in the nfl.. he's still in college.. and md sry bout this statement but thats y ur not in the nfl b/c u want to play evry where.. u need to play 1 pos and get good at it.. plain and simple

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
u don't know if he'll do anything in the nfl.. he's still in college.. and md sry bout this statement but thats y ur not in the nfl b/c u want to play evry where.. u need to play 1 pos and get good at it.. plain and simple

You right, I don't know for sure, this is only my opinion, just like what ever you say is your opinion.
As far as switching to WR, it does work, Hines, and Randle El are just 2 player that have done pretty well doing that.

lilyoder6
07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
but look at how many players who tried to do that and is not going so well 4 them.. nfl is a harsh place and u basically need to have god-given talent to play pro

BettisFan
07-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Nate will be gone soon enough hes not a steeler calliber Wide out anymore

fansince'76
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
u need to play 1 pos and get good at it.. plain and simple

By that rationale I guess we can label Bruce Davis a bust already, because there is no freaking way he's playing DE in a 3-4 at the NFL level. He has no choice but to switch to LB. Plenty of players have switched positions successfully when they made the jump from college to pro - on both offense and defense.

Steelman16
07-06-2008, 01:38 AM
By that rationale I guess we can label Bruce Davis a bust already, because there is no freaking way he's playing DE in a 3-4 at the NFL level. He has no choice but to switch to LB. Plenty of players have switched positions successfully when they made the jump from college to pro - on both offense and defense.

BUST! BUST! BUST! Go hang out with Timmons. :chuckle:

Texasteel
07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
but look at how many players who tried to do that and is not going so well 4 them.. nfl is a harsh place and u basically need to have god-given talent to play pro

Look at the publications. Everyone that I have seen have Pat White listed as a WR or a QB that will switch to WR, most of them have him in the top 100 to 150 players. So I'm not alone in thinking he will play WR in the NFL.

Look at his stats. He had 216 att. 144 comp. for 14 TDs. He had 197 car. 1335 yd. for 14 TDs.

Does this mean he can not play QB in the NFL, no. But he is exactly the type of player that the Steeler would look at as a WR convertion.

And I'm not even saying we have to draft this kid, I just said if we falls to the 4th or 5th round the Steelers might take a look at him. I can't say it any plainer than that.

steelymcmatt
07-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Wow, you think he's going to be that great!?!?

Galax Steeler
07-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow, you think he's going to be that great!?!?

Don't think so.:toofunny:

lilyoder6
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
ok 76 since u know it all then tell me y so many players fail to get on a nfl roster if it's that easy??? i'll make 1 exception to the de/olb since it's basically the saem pos except 4 putting ur hand on the ground.. shit u talk about all of these players changing pos like there's a dime a dozen... so i say it again.. u need to get good at 1 pos only and get good at it

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM

When scouts cover college players they look at tangibles...speed, quickness, strength...and they get paid to make projections as to how that players skills translate into the NFL.

(That is why some players are penciled in as "athletes" instead of QB, WR, etc...)

Some college QB's lack the height to be a NFL QB, but have the hands and speed to be a WR....some college DE's dont have the size and strength to be a NFL DE, but have the speed and ability to play OLB.

FB's become RB's (Leonard-Rams)
RB's become WR's (Johnson-Titans)
Safeties become LBers (Urlacher-Bears)

On our own team we see Woodley playing OLB although he was a DE...Ward playing WR although he was a QB...Parker playing RB although he played PIne-butt...Simmons playing guard OG although he was an OT.

Texasteel
07-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Didn't mean to start a fire here guys, but I do think that White is the kind of player the the Steeler might be interested in if they could get him cheap. Ward is not going to start getting younger all of a sudden.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Didn't mean to start a fire here guys, but I do think that White is the kind of player the the Steeler might be interested in if they could get him cheap. Ward is not going to start getting younger all of a sudden.

I agree with you. We tend to like to draft the slash type of players(Ward, Kordell, ARE, Dixon).

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I see Washington going to FA because even after Ward retires, he is still #3 guy. I like Nate a lot as a player, but the future #4 WR will be found in the draft, or is already on the roster and will cost less than a 5 year veteran like Washington.

lilyoder6
07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
again u only name a few players.. but u talk like it's a peice of cake switching.. many ppl try and do it and they fail.. wow what a big dif fb and rb is.. and like i stated b4 there are some exceptions like de/olb b/c the only diff is putting ur hand on the ground and the fb.. nut honeslty yes i'll agree that there are some players that made it work.. but there are a whole shit load of players who tried and failed horribly

and how does willie fit into this?? he was a rb and still is a rb??? he didn't change pos.. he just learned from the bus and played behind a better o-line