PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Top 10: Draft Steals: Marino

millwalldavey
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm watching the Top Ten Draft Steals on NFL Network.

Why did the Steelers pass on Marino in 1983? Does anyone have any solid reasons to provide? I heard drugs, I heard Rooney say "all the evidence didnt get me exited about him".... what was that "evidence"?

Cape Cod Steel Head
07-04-2008, 01:56 PM
My brother was a student at Pitt at the time and according to him it wasn't a rumor. It was, afterall,the early eighties.

LambertIsGod58
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I too had heard drugs....and the rumor was large enough for Marino to last all the way to the Dolphins.

TackleMeBen
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
i was watching that and seen the funniest sign about the mannings.

Eli = Overrated
Archie = Bust
Peyton = Adopted.

HometownGal
07-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Here's the skinny - directly from Mr. Rooney. The "drug" stories about Marino were just a (disgusting) rumor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07308/830795-66.stm

He admits to making another mistake that may have cost his team Dan Marino during the 1983 draft. Noll and his scouts wanted defensive end Gabe Rivera with their first pick, the 21st of the draft, even though they also liked Marino. But they had Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone.

John Clayton, who covered the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Press at the time, suggested to Rooney they could get Marino and Rivera. Take Marino with the first pick, Clayton suggested, and trade Stoudt for a high second-round pick. Rivera probably would still be available for them.

"I respected Clayton's opinion and thought it was a great idea,'' Rooney said. "We should have done it. But I made a mistake.''

The mistake he made was, after Noll and the scouts agreed it was a great idea, they asked how he came up with it. Rooney told them it came from Clayton, the sports writer.

"Clayton? You gotta be kidding!" Rooney quotes Noll and the scouts collectively.

"And that was the end of it,'' Rooney writes.

TackleMeBen
07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
well its good to know that they didnt make the same mistake in 04:wink02:

fansince'76
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Noll and his scouts wanted defensive end Gabe Rivera with their first pick, the 21st of the draft, even though they also liked Marino. But they had Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone.

:banging: :banging: :banging:

One of the biggest personnel gaffes in team history - surpassed only by the cutting of Unitas in '55, and passing on Jim Brown in the draft in '57.

warddj86
07-05-2008, 07:54 PM
well its good to know that they didnt make the same mistake in 04:wink02:

Amen

millwalldavey
07-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I heard from family members who atteneded there that he had a bad cocaine problem at Pitt... Also, the one reciever was so messed up on the stuff he never made the NFL.

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I've met Marino a few times. He was pretty cool. Took a pic at the table as he was signing with my son even though he was selling photos taken w/ himself for $175. He could have been more personable. But better than alot of other greats of the game. Montana for example. Complete jerk!

rbryan
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Who knows if Marino would have had the same success if drafted by the Steelers. He may have gone straight down hill from too much of the "stepped on" Pittsburgh blow as opposed to the good stuff in Miami....lol

steel striker
07-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I guess who knows what could have been but, it still hurts to have the guy in your back yard and don't take a chance on him.

Preacher
08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I've met Marino a few times. He was pretty cool. Took a pic at the table as he was signing with my son even though he was selling photos taken w/ himself for $175. He could have been more personable. But better than alot of other greats of the game. Montana for example. Complete jerk!

I had a decent run-in with Montana.

I was working at a gas station one night--working my way through seminary.

It was a very cold, foggy night and not much business at all.

I was reading a book when I noticed someone walked in. I looked up and there is Joe Montana with crooked smile on his face.

I knew who it was... but didn't want to fawn on him... as many others usually do.. just treat the guy normally.. you know?

So I said..."You look familar, do I know you?" He smiled and said, "You've probably seen me on tv bit." No arrogance, no profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilteriness.

He told me he was driving up to Santa Rosa because it was too foggy for him mto fly there.

He seemed a great guy... but no one was bugging him for anything. Just two guys at a gas station.

TheWarDen86
08-08-2008, 05:36 PM

WOW really??? I'd always heard the complete opposite. thanks for sharing.

MDSteel15
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I had a decent run-in with Montana.

I was working at a gas station one night--working my way through seminary.

It was a very cold, foggy night and not much business at all.

I was reading a book when I noticed someone walked in. I looked up and there is Joe Montana with crooked smile on his face.

I knew who it was... but didn't want to fawn on him... as many others usually do.. just treat the guy normally.. you know?

So I said..."You look familar, do I know you?" He smiled and said, "You've probably seen me on tv bit." No arrogance, no profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilteriness.

He told me he was driving up to Santa Rosa because it was too foggy for him mto fly there.

He seemed a great guy... but no one was bugging him for anything. Just two guys at a gas station.

I think that is why a lot of them sometimes act like asses sometimes. They don't want to be annoyed with psycho fans!

Edman
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Pittsburgh's very own Sam Bowie.

Thankfully, Dan Rooney learned from that mistake. And personally sought to it that we never passed up on blue-chip talent like that ever again twenty years later.