PDA

View Full Version : No love for two steeler hall of famers

Aussie_steeler
07-05-2008, 05:13 AM
I am sure that many people will have some strong feelings in regards to this article. I never had the privilige of watching two of these players in particular but I think their records clearly speak for themselves.

I am just going to sit back and watch the fire that is breathed collectively after the members of this board read this piece of crap.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JL%20III/2008/07/04/NFL_Most_Overrated_Players_of_The_Past_40_Years

Here is the list of the most overrated NFL players since the Super Bowl began. It's hard to rate NFL players overrated before then simply because the game has changed so much over the years to make it easier for QBs and WRs.

Remember that you have to be considered a great player to be called overrated.

Here we go.

Michael Vick
Vick went first in the 2001 NFL draft and from there the bumpy ride to stardom began. Blessed with blazing speed, in 2006 he became the first QB to rush for 1,000 yards and that year he teamed up with RB Warrick Dunn to become the only QB/RB to rush for 1,000 in same season.

That's the good news, now for the bad: for all of his agility and speed, he couldn't find a way to consistently win games. Though Vick has been in the league for six seasons, he's only played four full years and has averaged 8.75 wins.

The rest of his four full season averages are: 2,533 passing yards, 16.2 touchdowns, 11.5 interceptions and 54.7% completion percentage. These are not exactly first overall pick numbers.

Keyshawn Johnson

Johnson was drafted first in the 1996 NFL draft by the New York Jets. He played 11 seasons and could only muster three pro-bowls, one all-pro selection and was kicked out shortly after winning a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His temper continually wrote checks that his performances couldn't cash. He was traded away from the Jets, traded away from the Buccaneers, released by the Dallas Cowboys and released by the Carolina Panthers after just one season.

While his career numbers are pretty solid, they are certainly not among the top WRs ever. His career averages were 74 receptions and 961 yards per season.

Lynn Swann
Swann was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round, 21st overall in 1974. While he had some of the greatest hands in the game, he certainly didn't put up the stats that would put him on the best WR list.

He never had a 1,000 yard season and only scored 10 or more touchdowns twice. In his nine seasons he only averaged 37.3 receptions, 606 yards, 5.6 touchdowns per season and 47.5 yards per game.

We all know the game has changed over the years to be more pass happy, but his QB Terry Bradshaw had over 3,700 yards passing in 1979 and over 3,300 in 1980. Swann's receiving yards in those seasons were 808 and 710.

Terry Bradshaw

This one may get a few eyebrows, but just look at the teams he played on. During their great years, the Steelers had the best defense, great offensive line and a great running game.

Sure the first couple of years in Pittsburgh weren't the best, but just look at the defensive rank from 1972-1979. The Steelers had the 2, 8, 2, 2, 1, 17, 1, 5 ranked defense during these years. Then throw in Franco Harris and his seven 1,000 rushing and five double digit scoring seasons.

Not to mention Bradshaw threw a lot of interceptions, 210 with 212 touchdowns, and only completed 51.9% of his passes.

Jeff George
George was drafted first overall in 1990 by the Indianapolis Colts. He only managed four seasons in Indy, traded all over the place, played for six other teams and could never win consistently.

He did help the Atlanta Falcons make the playoffs in 1995 with the run-and-shoot offense that had him pass for 4,143 yards and 24 touchdowns. However the following year he was suspended and traded because of his constant arguments with the head coach.

He only had one good season over the next five and decided to retire after the 2001 season. For some reason several teams tried to get him out of retirement and George signed with the Seattle Seahawks in 2002, in 2004 with the Chicago Bears and in 2006 by the Oakland Raiders. He never saw action with any of these teams.

To sum it up, George never made the pro-bowl, was never an all-pro and only had a passer rating above 90 just twice.

Look, no list is perfect but this is a good start to the most overrated NFL players.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JL%20III/2008/07/04/NFL_Most_Overrated_Players_of_The_Past_40_Years

Galax Steeler
07-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I wonder who the moron was that wrote that to even put bradshaw and swan with vick that must have been a wanta be writer with nothing to do.:banging:

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I've heard this crap before, it seems that Bradshaw was not all that good because he played with a great player like Swan, and Swan wasn't that good because he played with a great QB like Bradshaw. Infact not of these guys were any good because they had such a great player on both sides of him. Someday one of these guys are going to tie themselves into a knot.

Its like one of the Paties explaining how their didn't really cheat.

stillers4me
07-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Just goes to show you........stats are just stats. Yeah......and Carson's better than Ben because of stats. yeah.......right.

Terry Bradsahaw......4 superbowl rings.
Ben Roethlisberger.........1 superbowl ring, 1 AFC championship title............Carson Palmer............zippo.

Now those are stats.

duma
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I wish someone would pay me to come with stupid thoughts like that. How can anyone that has won more SB's then anyone else be considered in the same article as a person of the mold of Vick?

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I wish someone would pay me to come with stupid thoughts like that. How can anyone that has won more SB's then anyone else be considered in the same article as a person of the mold of Vick?

Just go into politics.

fansince'76
07-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Swann showed up in the big games (as did Bradshaw). Want to remind me how effective the great "unstoppable" Randy Moss was this past postseason again? 7 catches for 94 yards and 1 TD over THREE games. Whoopee. :rolleyes:

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-05-2008, 09:31 AM
I think I can fix all this talk of Bradshaw and Swann ever being underrated again:

Clutchiness (0-100):

Bradshaw: 100
Swann: 114

At least now when people look at a stat sheet they can take that into account. I hate when this crap gets written by someone who has only seen a highlight reel of XXX player and never an entire game (or even understood how impactful that throw/catch was). Call Bradshaw a big dumb oaf if you want, but he's not underrated. I'd imagine when he bitchslaps you down there'll be four big indentations in your face to remind you. :tt02:

Glad to see Vick on there though. Still think Atlanta only kept him to put fans in the stands, not to win games. Just like Pittsburgh did with Swann and Bradshaw, right? :yap:

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Yup, the reason these guys are in the Hall is their greatness in the postseason.

LambertIsGod58
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
People forget that the rules prior to 1978 weren't as condusive to passing as today's game. That's when Brad's game was on and it was on big time. Can't compare eras when the freakin' rules aren't the same.

LVSteelersfan
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I suppose the Joe Montana and Roger Staubach had LOUSY defenses and carried their teams on their shoulders. How come they are not on the list? I bet those defenses were ranked in the top as well. Who cares what these morons write? They are just words. Words and stats can be twisted to say anything you want. Hey, why isn't Franco on this list. He had one of the best defenses ever so that makes him overrated, right? What about the Snake? Those Raiders defenses were AWESOME. Does that make Stabler overrated? You could throw this weak A $ $ argument in on any player out there. This guy needs to find a different job like hamburger griller.

19ward86
07-05-2008, 03:50 PM
real football analyst would know that 51.9% completion back inthe 70's was like the 65% completion of today. More or less by a few percentages.

Michael Keller
07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Yesterday at a 4th of July part some one asked me who was better , Stallworth or Swann . My answer was , Swann because he made the big plays. They were both great and both deserve the HOF . Swann was recognized as the best receiver on the best team ever. Bradshaw won 4 super bowls , lost none.

Why do these opinions and articles even get our attention. Who cares about this guy's opinion?. Why am I even responding ? Every NFL player is a great football player , no doubt. Every HOF player is among the all time elite best ever . Why are we even questioning these choices. Recognizie each one for what they achieved and do not take away from their achievements. If the same guy at yesterday's party asked me who was better Michael Vick , Lynn Swan or Terry Bradshaw I would get him another drink and tell him to drink several more and then he might have an excuse for asking such a stupid question. The writer of this article has no such excuse.

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, Mike Vick was overrated, so I'm not gonna argue that...but, then again, writing an article about Mike Vick being overrated is pretty much akin to writing an article about how the sun will rise in the east and set in the west.

MDSteel15
07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Yesterday at a 4th of July part some one asked me who was better , Stallworth or Swann . My answer was , Swann because he made the big plays. They were both great and both deserve the HOF . Swann was recognized as the best receiver on the best team ever. Bradshaw won 4 super bowls , lost none.

Says who? Swann will even tell you, and I've seen this, that Stallworth was the better of the 2 but Lynn was the one that stole the spotlight with his acrobatic catches.... :thumbsup:

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I watched them both play from begining to end and I agree with MD.

Mosca
07-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Both players straddled a change in the game. The '50s/ '60s era of football really ended in about '76; the '80s/'90s era really started in '77. To me, what makes them amazing is that they were considered among the best in BOTH styles,

IMO both are in the HOF specifically in spite of the stats; by stats alone, neither is HOF. Bradshaw's stats are almost dead even with Stabler's; he even had some years that would have embarassed Rex Grossman. Swann's stats have already been remarked on here. But, stats don't WIN, and the NFL is all about WINNING.

When Swann's and Bradshaw's abilities were most strong in the voters'' minds is when they were voted in. What we're seeing now is revisionism of the absolute worst kind, revisionism based on numbers rather than on the game itself. Bench racing. Some sports writer who never knew how the game was played in '74, in '76, in '79, is making judgments on players because they don't have the gaudy numbers that guys put up in '97, or '03, or '07. I suggest he go and rent some game films of Steelers/Raiders from that era, where things like "the whistle" and "out of bounds" were suggestions rather than rules to be paid attention to; he'd have a lot more respect for the accomplishment of these guys.

steelreserve
07-05-2008, 07:34 PM
What I don't get is, why would they call Keyshawn Johnson one of the most overrated players? He wasn't one of the best receivers ever, but no one ever said he was. You can't really be "overrated" if all people do in the first place is call you good but not great.

The part about Bradshaw is just flat-out stupid, so I don't think I even need to bother explaining about that.

MDSteel15
07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Probably because he was a #1 overall pick in the draft. Othe than that Johnson was pretty steady.

Preacher
07-05-2008, 09:07 PM
What I don't get...

Is that I have never heard Bradshaw LISTED as one of the best QB's ever in the NFL.

He has always seemed to be a step down. The absolute top of the second teir..

You have your legends that seem to never do anything wrong... Peyton Manning will be in that group, if he isn't already. Joe Montana is there. A few others from the past.

Then you have the next group. These are QB's who excelled... but needed just a bit of help. Bradshaw was one of those.

I never saw him as anything else.

I am not aware of other who did... except for the most DIEHARD of homers.

Texasteel
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM
You can call me what ever you like. I think that Bradshaw was one to the best to play the game, as did Mel Blount.
He was tough, had a very strong arm, could run when he needed, understood the game, and made the plays that he had to. The one knock on him was Ints. and watching him play from begining to end I think that was partlly because he had such faith in his receiving coup. that he did not mind throughing into double team.
IMO you don't win 4 Super Bowls, MVP of 2 of them I beleive, being a 2nd teir QB.

By the way you spell cat with a C, the old timers will know what that means.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Swann showed up in the big games (as did Bradshaw). Want to remind me how effective the great "unstoppable" Randy Moss was this past postseason again? 7 catches for 94 yards and 1 TD over THREE games. Whoopee. :rolleyes:

:applaudit:

I get a little chuckle every time someone runs that piece of sh*t down. :sofunny:

silver & black
07-06-2008, 09:23 AM
People forget that the rules prior to 1978 weren't as condusive to passing as today's game. That's when Brad's game was on and it was on big time. Can't compare eras when the freakin' rules aren't the same.

Exactly. The prima donna's that are WR's today, couldn't hang with the greats of the 70's era game. Those guys got mugged all the way down the field.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
What I don't get...

Is that I have never heard Bradshaw LISTED as one of the best QB's ever in the NFL.

He has always seemed to be a step down. The absolute top of the second teir..
You have your legends that seem to never do anything wrong... Peyton Manning will be in that group, if he isn't already. Joe Montana is there. A few others from the past.

Then you have the next group. These are QB's who excelled... but needed just a bit of help. Bradshaw was one of those.
I never saw him as anything else.

I am not aware of other who did... except for the most DIEHARD of homers.

I feel the same way about Stabler. Bradshaw's and Stabler's stats are almost identicle, except for the obvious one... 4 SB's to 1. Both guys found a way to win when it counted, but neither will ever be listed in the same groups as Montana, Manning, or Brady.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Exactly. The prima donna's that are WR's today, couldn't hang with the greats of the 70's era game. Those guys got mugged all the way down the field.

That's for sure.

They call the change in rules to accomodate the passing offense the "Mel Blount Rule" because he was assaulting guys.

Hell, most of the offensive players today wouldn't be able to make it back in the day of those really great Steelers and Raiders teams.

Tom Brady's pansy ass wouldn't have been able to take it. The late hits that got no foul called. The spike that Bradshaw received by the Brown's "Turkey" Jones would have caused that pansy to retire.

Bradshaw is in the Hall of Fame maily because he was clutch in the playoffs. He made big plays when big plays needed made.

Yeah, he threw a lot of interceptions because he was considered a "gunslinger" type of QB.

Brett Favre holds the career record for INT's...but nobody ever mentions this when talking about how great Favre is. Favre has only 1 Super Bowl ring in two appearances. Bradshaw had 4 in 4. 'Nuff said.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 09:54 AM
That's for sure.

They call the change in rules to accomodate the passing offense the "Mel Blount Rule" because he was assaulting guys.

Hell, most of the offensive players today wouldn't be able to make it back in the day of those really great Steelers and Raiders teams.

Tom Brady's pansy ass wouldn't have been able to take it. The late hits that got no foul called. The spike that Bradshaw received by the Brown's "Turkey" Jones would have caused that pansy to retire.

Bradshaw is in the Hall of Fame maily because he was clutch in the playoffs. He made big plays when big plays needed made.

Yeah, he threw a lot of interceptions because he was considered a "gunslinger" type of QB.

Brett Favre holds the career record for INT's...but nobody ever mentions this when talking about how great Favre is. Favre has only 1 Super Bowl ring in two appearances. Bradshaw had 4 in 4. 'Nuff said.

" The Mel Blount Rule" could have just as easily been called "The Lester Hayes Rule"... he did the same thing. :sofunny:

Every time I see the video of Jones pile driving Bradshaw, it gives me chills. I wonder what the penalty would be for that these days? :sofunny:

Bradshaw is one of my favorite non Raiders players because of how he played the game... tough and gritty............... that, and the fact that he asked Al Davis to make him a Raider in the early days with the Steelers when things didn't look too bright for him... :wink02:

Mosca
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
" The Mel Blount Rule" could have just as easily been called "The Lester Hayes Rule"... he did the same thing. :sofunny:

Every time I see the video of Jones pile driving Bradshaw, it gives me chills. I wonder what the penalty would be for that these days? :sofunny:

Bradshaw is one of my favorite non Raiders players because of how he played the game... tough and gritty............... that, and the fact that he asked Al Davis to make him a Raider in the early days with the Steelers when things didn't look too bright for him... :wink02:

s&b, back then I wished it was possible to be both a Steelers and a Raiders fan at the same time; but you couldn't be. I often told people that for a Steelers fan in the '70s, the Raiders were both our most hated rivals, and our second favorite team at the same time (reserving, of course, that special place for how much we despised the Cowboys, who weren't even worth scraping off the bottom of our shoes). The Raiders of the '70s were the only team that I wanted to watch when they were the second game on Sunday; we used to hope that they would make it to the playoffs so we could meet. I firmly believe that they were essentially as good as we were then... it just goes to show, how hard it is to go all the way. Anyone who doubts that wasn't watching at the time. I suggest that you go to Pro Football Reference and run down the rosters of the '70s Raiders, and see how many of them you remember as strongly as you do Steelers of the same era. I know that I remember ALL of their great players.

Before this turns into Brokeback Mountain... you Raiders fans can all go blow it out your asses. :flap:

St33lersguy
07-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Farve also let his team down by throwing INTs in his most recent playoff losses. Anyone remember in last years NFC Championship game what set up the Giants game winning FG? A Favre INT. The same thing that set up the Eagles OT drive back in the Divisional playoff game back in '03. Bradshaw however delivered in the SuperBowl when it mattered most and he rarely choked in the playoff games

St33lersguy
07-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Couldn't agree more. I would love to see how fairies like Randy Moss, T.O.,Chad Johnson, and the other wimpy wideouts would react to taking clotheline hits from George Atkinson like Swann did. Swann would go over the middle with no fear of being mugged. He was tougher than people thought of him to be.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 11:51 AM
s&b, back then I wished it was possible to be both a Steelers and a Raiders fan at the same time; but you couldn't be. I often told people that for a Steelers fan in the '70s, the Raiders were both our most hated rivals, and our second favorite team at the same time (reserving, of course, that special place for how much we despised the Cowboys, who weren't even worth scraping off the bottom of our shoes). The Raiders of the '70s were the only team that I wanted to watch when they were the second game on Sunday; we used to hope that they would make it to the playoffs so we could meet. I firmly believe that they were essentially as good as we were then... it just goes to show, how hard it is to go all the way. Anyone who doubts that wasn't watching at the time. I suggest that you go to Pro Football Reference and run down the rosters of the '70s Raiders, and see how many of them you remember as strongly as you do Steelers of the same era. I know that I remember ALL of their great players.

Before this turns into Brokeback Mountain... you Raiders fans can all go blow it out your asses. :flap:

LOL... right back at ya!:chuckle:

I agree, the Raiders and the Steelers were equals in the 70's... the Steelers just seemed to get that one play or break that would seal the game for them when they played the Raiders.... but not always.:wink02:

Trust me, I remember the Raider greats, just like I remember the Steeler greats. That era of football will never be equalled... and neither will the players.:thumbsup:

silver & black
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
I would love to see how fairies like Randy Moss, T.O., and Chad Johnson would react to taking clotheline hits from George Atkinson like Swann did. Swann would go over the middle with no fear of being mugged. He was tougher than people thought of him to be.

All those guys were tough that played back then. The players of today are soft compared to the players of the 70's. I'm sure they would sh*t their pants if they had to take the field with the Steelers or the Raiders of that era.

The George Atkinson shot was over the top, and definitely unnecassary, but thats how those guys were back then. I remember Mel Blount driving Cliff Branch's head into the ground too. These teams hated each other back then, but loved to play each other!

I hope someday the rivalry gets back to what it was... there was never a better one, and there still isn't, IMO.

Mosca
07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
The NFL highlight films of Steelers/Raiders games is all cheap shots and out of bounds hits. Great stuff.

Lamonica
Hubbard
Chester
Otto
Upshaw
Shell
Sistrunk
Villapiano
Atkinson
Hayes
Tatum
Blanda
Branch
Biletnikoff
W. Brown
Stabler
Bubba Smith
Banaszak
Hendricks
Casper
Matuszak
van Eeghen

F'em all, but they were really good.

CantStop85
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Couldn't agree more. I would love to see how fairies like Randy Moss, T.O.,Chad Johnson, and the other wimpy wideouts would react to taking clotheline hits from George Atkinson like Swann did. Swann would go over the middle with no fear of being mugged. He was tougher than people thought of him to be.

I don't know about Chad and Randy, but a guy like T.O. would do well IMO. People forget that he's a big strong guy who isn't afraid of a little contact, maybe not quite a Hines Ward in that respect, but far from a "fairy."

millwalldavey
07-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Lynn Swann

Swann was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round, 21st overall in 1974. While he had some of the greatest hands in the game, he certainly didn't put up the stats that would put him on the best WR list.

He never had a 1,000 yard season and only scored 10 or more touchdowns twice. In his nine seasons he only averaged 37.3 receptions, 606 yards, 5.6 touchdowns per season and 47.5 yards per game.

We all know the game has changed over the years to be more pass happy, but his QB Terry Bradshaw had over 3,700 yards passing in 1979 and over 3,300 in 1980. Swann's receiving yards in those seasons were 808 and 710.

Ahh... because numbers prove your worth. 4 Rings. Not to mention he shared the offensive load with a HOF WR, not to mention a 2 back set with one HOF. There were not enough balls to go around. Again. 4 Rings. Nuff said.

Terry Bradshaw

This one may get a few eyebrows, but just look at the teams he played on. During their great years, the Steelers had the best defense, great offensive line and a great running game.

Sure the first couple of years in Pittsburgh weren't the best, but just look at the defensive rank from 1972-1979. The Steelers had the 2, 8, 2, 2, 1, 17, 1, 5 ranked defense during these years. Then throw in Franco Harris and his seven 1,000 rushing and five double digit scoring seasons.

Not to mention Bradshaw threw a lot of interceptions, 210 with 212 touchdowns, and only completed 51.9% of his passes.

Again, 4 Rings. 2 outstanding (one HOF) running backs gaining 1000 a year. Thus skews his "numbers" which are apparantly the most important thing in the world. He was simply the leader that this team needed to run it.

Simply put, 4 rings for each and not a dead dog in the bunch!

LambertIsGod58
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
It's all about hatin'......plain and simple. The Steelers of the 1970's are the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL. The only thing I would say was close were the Packers of the 1960's. That's why you hear the negative comments about them. Jealousy. C'mon, LC Greenwood not in the HOF? Donnie Shell not in the HOF?

wootawnee
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I grew up in Pittsburgh.....I lived in downtown Oakland for a few years and let me tell you the cities have similar mentalities and spirits........Gritty, hard nosed stuff......Ya gotta love it.....The Oakland teams of the 60's and 70's were pioneers for the sport as it is today......They were the first true american team.......It did not matter where you came from , they were a family and stuck it out........The vibe in oaktown never got bad when the team was behind, and so many games they pulled it out by being down a bunch.......That kinda spirit does not happen now......Just about every stadium gets down and out in the end of the game and kinda gives up and does not beleive they can come back and win.......Those old games still give me chills.......It would have been alot of fun being in the stands.........And to all the newbie bandwagon Al Davis haters in the league, let me tell you the man is a pioneer of the game and in american life......He was one of the first people in the league to see a man for his deeds, and not his last name or anything else.......He brought together alot of people in a tubulent time of growth for our nation.......And for the original post......If you were going into a super bowl, and a warrior like TB was on the other team......Wouldn't you wish he was on your team?.......Wouldn't you know in your heart that he was going to burn you deep?.......He threw the most beautiful spiral pass that there ever was......The one to Stalworth over the shoulder for a 74 yrd td in sb XIV was the most awesome pass I ever seen.......The one commetator for the game called it a "spaceship".......The other commetator simply said ..."Unreal".....

silver & black
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I grew up in Pittsburgh.....I lived in downtown Oakland for a few years and let me tell you the cities have similar mentalities and spirits........Gritty, hard nosed stuff......Ya gotta love it.....The Oakland teams of the 60's and 70's were pioneers for the sport as it is today......They were the first true american team.......It did not matter where you came from , they were a family and stuck it out........The vibe in oaktown never got bad when the team was behind, and so many games they pulled it out by being down a bunch.......That kinda spirit does not happen now......Just about every stadium gets down and out in the end of the game and kinda gives up and does not beleive they can come back and win.......Those old games still give me chills.......It would have been alot of fun being in the stands.........And to all the newbie bandwagon Al Davis haters in the league, let me tell you the man is a pioneer of the game and in american life......He was one of the first people in the league to see a man for his deeds, and not his last name or anything else.......He brought together alot of people in a tubulent time of growth for our nation.......And for the original post......If you were going into a super bowl, and a warrior like TB was on the other team......Wouldn't you wish he was on your team?.......Wouldn't you know in your heart that he was going to burn you deep?.......He threw the most beautiful spiral pass that there ever was......The one to Stalworth over the shoulder for a 74 yrd td in sb XIV was the most awesome pass I ever seen.......The one commetator for the game called it a "spaceship".......The other commetator simply said ..."Unreal".....

Thank you, and well said. :drink:

Are you a Steelers or a Raiders fan?

wootawnee
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I was a kid in the 70's in Pittsburgh so what do you think.........I pull for you all too.....My favorite Raider and one of my favorite football players from all time is the original Big Ben....................Ben Davidson........Ya dig........ Check out his bio/story at raiderdrive.com.........

Dino 6 Rings
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Ok, this "column" is the biggest farse yet.

Lets see, how do I get people to visit my blog to get my "hits" number up to keep my job as a "writer" HACK. First, lets talk about the NFL cause that always generates hits. Then lets come up with a list, yeah, a list of Over Rated players. Now, of coarse, I'll throw out one of the most controversial players of all time, Michael Vick, that'll start with some hits. Now lets see...how do I really get hits on my blog. I know, lets attack two legends of the most rabid, intense fan base in the NFL. Since 9ers fans are pretty lame these days and Cowboys fans only really care when they are winning, lets attack the Steelers! Their fans love to read about football and get crazy when you bash their guys. Now who can I attack. Greene? Well no, that would be ridiculous and I'd be laughed out of the blogosphere for sure if I attacked Mean Joe, not to mention he might find me and hurt me.

Lets think. Hmmm...Bradshaw. Heck he allows himself to get picked on every Sunday by Long and picks fun at himself, lets attack his numbers and claim that if not for the team around him he wouldn't have been that good. Besides, he just made the headlines with that Steriods comment.

Who else...Franco? No, he actually has great stats. How about Stallworth, well he is well known but he is usually seen by non-Steelers fans as the 2nd receiver on that team. I got it! Swann. Lets just attack Swans stats over his career and not take into account his "big game" play at all. Yeah, that'll really sting the Steeler base and get them visiting my blog. I bet they attack my column in the comments section by the thousands and I can show my boss why he should keep me employed.

Just to look "fair" I toss out Jeff George, basically one of the biggest busts in NFL history who was never even considered HOF material. That'll make me seem Legitimate. Yeah!

If any QB in the Hall of Fame should be on the most over rated list, it is without question Joe Namath. The guy made his entire living off one game. He has more ints than tds in his career and is the only QB in the HOF with that stat. Maybe Jim Kelly or Fran Tarkenton would be likely nominees as well, both having never won the big game in 4 tries. But of coarse, there's nothing controversial about either of those choices.

Dino 6 Rings
07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I reported the Post to Fox Sports as inapropriate. Hopefully, his boss gets a count of that number as well. I suggest others follow my lead.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Thats what I hate about bloggers. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one ....and now because you can post it online its got some kind of authority.

Steve Young was made because of Jerry Rice and TO. John Riggins got his numbers because of that great Hogs O line, Warren Moon padded his stats in that Run n' Shoot offense, but won nothing.

All great watercooler stuff, but nothing that holds water.

St33lersguy
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Dino 5 Rings;411247]

If any QB in the Hall of Fame should be on the most over rated list, it is without question Joe Namath. The guy made his entire living off one game. He has more ints than tds in his career and is the only QB in the HOF with that stat.[QUOTE]

Don't forget he only led his team to the playoffs twice both before the merger (last one in 1969)

fansince'76
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
If any QB in the Hall of Fame should be on the most over rated list, it is without question Joe Namath. The guy made his entire living off one game. He has more ints than tds in his career and is the only QB in the HOF with that stat.

Don't forget he only led his team to the playoffs twice both before the merger (last one in 1969)

"I couldn't care less about the team strugg-a-ling." :alcoholic

HQqIQyT-RuM

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Its cool, I hope this hack doesn't quit his day job flipping burgers at the local McDonald's knock off. "McDowells has the Big Mic". Yeah. He isn't going to make money writing garbage like this.

Enjoy stirring the pot, then when you're done, bring me some fries you slacker.

missedgehead
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
LYNN SWANN?????? TERRY BRADSHAW??? *Shakes head*

silver & black
07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I was a kid in the 70's in Pittsburgh so what do you think.........I pull for you all too.....My favorite Raider and one of my favorite football players from all time is the original Big Ben....................Ben Davidson........Ya dig........ Check out his bio/story at raiderdrive.com.........

No need for me to check out Big Ben Davidson's bio... I watched him play. :thumbsup:

I've been a Raiders fan since '68, so I've been fortunate enough to see all the greats play.

It's nice to see an opposing fan that appreciates a great team (been a while, I know), and players besides their own... I know a bit about the Steelers and their players too.:wink02:

Rhee Rhee
07-08-2008, 05:06 AM
stupid idiot.

brett farve: NFL leader in TDs and INTs... shut up about bradshaw and swann.. i cannot believe he even ventured into such idiocy... he probably needed an article that would cause major controversey to save his job...

Dino 6 Rings
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I have reported the post again. Maybe I'll report it every day until he loses his job. I will not have the name of Terry Bradshaw used in the same sentance as that other guy. Michael Vick couldn't hold Terry's left sock.

Elvis
07-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Duma, I agree buddy 100%
Michael Vick should not even be on the same page or in the same book as Terry Bradshaw anywhere anytime!
Does anyone remember that 2nd super bowl vs the Cowboys when that cowboys player said he so dumb? Bradshaw was MVP for that game wasnt he?. The guy didnt have great stats, no he didnt, but when the Big Game (super bowl) was the game of his week, I dont know anyone any better to have in there !
:tt02:

steel striker
07-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I can't believe this thread I mean the media trying to compare Vick to Bradshaw someone needs to put down the crack pipe. Then there trying to say Swann was not that good my god someone needs to be shot. Whats going to be the next claim? Maybe they will say we were just a bunch of lucky bums to win 4 super bowls back in the day. They need to get a life.

Glace
07-13-2008, 01:54 AM
This is just some hack, no talent writer trying to stir up some crap. That's how these guys put their names out there. They write stuff that will make people talk. This isn't worth our time.

"Remember that you have to be considered a great player to be called overrated."

I don't know about anybody else....but I never considered Vick "Great". I never considered Jeff George "Great."

I think to be "great" you need to have actually accomplished something.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-13-2008, 03:59 AM
The Steeler over-rated players are laughable. Lynn Swann is not Hines Ward. Going into battle I want Hines. Making the impossible catch I want Swann.

As a hard core SC fan couldn't agree more about Key. Why he is on TV is as puzzling to me as why Salisbury got a job at ESPN. Go back to radio in San Diego Sean IF they will take u back. Just STOP TALKING.

And Key. SHUT THE F UP.