PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Kiel Dead at Age 27

CantStop85
07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Former Chargers safety Kiel thrown from car, dies

Associated Press

Updated: July 5, 2008, 10:04 AM ET

SAN DIEGO -- Former San Diego Chargers safety Terrence Kiel was killed after he was thrown from a sedan he was driving, police said Saturday.

Kiel, 27, was driving alone after leaving a party at about 10:15 p.m. PT Friday night when he hit a wall in San Diego's upscale Scripps Ranch neighborhood and was thrown from the car, police Sgt. Alan Hayward said.

Kiel was barely breathing when paramedics reached him and he died about an hour later, Hayward said.

Friends had tried to keep Kiel from driving home from the party, Hayward said, and witnesses told police he appeared to be driving in the wrong direction when he crashed.

Police would not know whether Kiel had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol until toxicology tests were performed, Hayward said.

A second-round draft pick out of Texas A&M in 2003, Kiel played four years in the NFL from 2003 to 2006, all with the Chargers.

In February 2007 he pleaded guilty to felony and misdemeanor drug charges for shipping prescription cough syrup to Texas, the most significant of several scrapes with the law.

He was released by the team after his plea.

Kiel had been led off the practice field and arrested in the locker room by Drug Enforcement Administration agents in September 2006, suspected of shipping at least two parcels of prescription cough syrup, apparently to be mixed with soft drinks to make a concoction known as "lean."

The felony charges were later dropped after he completed community service, and he was serving three years' probation for the misdemeanor charges.

He was cited for urinating in public outside a San Diego nightclub in January 2007, but the city dropped that charge.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

HometownGal
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
What a tragic end to such a young life. :shake02:

Friends had tried to keep Kiel from driving home from the party, Hayward said, and witnesses told police he appeared to be driving in the wrong direction when he crashed.

Obviously, he was intoxicated (or high). Didn't these people consider taking his keys? :doh:

It seems that trouble followed Kiel quite a bit during his short life, sadly. RIP. :tombstone

CantStop85
07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
It's a shame because he was a really talented player when he came into the NFL, but he just couldn't stay out of trouble and stop making the wrong decisions.

I just wish guys like Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, and Adam Jones would see this and realize that they're headed on the exact same path.

TackleMeBen
07-05-2008, 03:19 PM

that might have been a good sign that he probably was under the influence of something and shouldnt have been behind the wheel of a car.

revefsreleets
07-05-2008, 03:38 PM
10:15? If this dude was that ripped at 10:15 then I'm glad this wreck happened early. Just imagine how much more trashed he'd have been by 3 AM, and how many more people might have been hurt/killed?

RIP dude, but with the caveat that you should have known better...

TackleMeBen
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
10:15? If this dude was that ripped at 10:15 then I'm glad this wreck happened early. Just imagine how much more trashed he'd have been by 3 AM, and how many more people might have been hurt/killed?

RIP dude, but with the caveat that you should have known better...
since it was july 4th, he could have been drinking all day and been pretty ripped by 10:15pm.

nojobny
07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
I saw this story and immediately a bunch of things popped into my head:

a) c'mon on - how hard did his friends try. Take his FN keys. I mean, did he sneak off with a second set?
b) I am so thankful he didn't kill anyone one else. Usually it's the drunks that survive after killing someone else.
c) You drink, then you drive, and you die? Sorry - you got what you deserved. Yeah, I know it's harsh. Sorry. Just my opinion.

(Yeah, I'm a bit hardcore. You don't want to know how I want to solve the prison overcrowding problem.)

TackleMeBen
07-05-2008, 04:31 PM

a) c'mon on - how hard did his friends try. Take his FN keys. I mean, did he sneak off with a second set?
b) I am so thankful he didn't kill anyone one else. Usually it's the drunks that survive after killing someone else.
c) You drink, then you drive, and you die? Sorry - you got what you deserved. Yeah, I know it's harsh. Sorry. Just my opinion.

(Yeah, I'm a bit hardcore. You don't want to know how I want to solve the prison overcrowding problem.)
i will agree with that. its people like that that cause the good drivers to have to pay more for their car insurance... i shouldnt be penalized b/c someone else makes a stupid mistake. if i am going to drink, i either drink at home and know i am not going to go anywhere else or have a friend that dont drink go with me and drive.

Steel Buckeye
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Kiel is dead because he pissed off God, at least he didn't get the chance to kill someone else.

Godfather
07-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Good point. I knew a guy in graduate school who jumped on someone's hood to stop him from driving.

CantStop85
07-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Kiel is dead because he pissed off God, at least he didn't get the chance to kill someone else.

:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM

:uhh:.....errrr....:tap:.....I give up...:hunch:

Steelman16
07-06-2008, 12:41 AM

:doh:

If I was killed everytime I pissed off God, I wouldn't be able to count my tombstones. God doesn't "strike lightning" at people. Kiel is dead because he acted like a dunce.

Texasteel
07-06-2008, 07:57 AM
My heart gos out to his family. No one should have to bury a son.

Galax Steeler
07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Sounds like he was a good player and just couldnt stay out of trouble.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
It's a shame because he was a really talented player when he came into the NFL, but he just couldn't stay out of trouble and stop making the wrong decisions.
I just wish guys like Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, and Adam Jones would see this and realize that they're headed on the exact same path.

Darryl Russell comes to mind as well. so talented, and so troubled. It is a shame some of these guys can't seem to get it together. They have the opportunity of a lifetime, but can't seem to put their demons to rest.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 10:08 AM

It is my understanding that God gives us all free will. It is up to us to do the right things with it. I doubt God was pissed at him... disappointed probably, but not pissed. I'm sure God is disappointed with me often, as I don't make the best decisions all the time either.

revefsreleets
07-07-2008, 10:11 AM

That's the same type of "logic" that Church from Kansas employs: The "God Hates Fags" people.

Beep! Thanks for playing.

KeiselPower99
07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Sad story. Wish his family the best.

vasteeler
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

Kiel is dead due to driving under the influance God played no part

PAMillerGrrl83
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Did God make Kiel drinka nd then drive? Nope and I'm sure I've made God angry plenty of times and *checks pulse* yep I've still got one.

stlrtruck
07-08-2008, 12:59 PM

If God killed people everytime they pissed Him off, no one would be here.