PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: The Mad Bomber?

GBMelBlount
07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Why Ben Roethlisberger is so good
By James Pete | July 5th, 2008

I was listening to a discussion on sports talk radio the other day about the top NFL quarterbacks. When they got to Ben, with whom they ranked third behind Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, they talked about his continued ďdevelopment as an NFL quarterback.Ē Itís a topic that always crops up when talking about Ben, and this year especially, due to the added weapons to his arsenal.

Once Heath Miller was drafted, then Bruce Arians became the offensive coordinator, then Matt Spaeth was drafted, the topic of the passing game seemed to center around Roethlisberger utilizing the two-tight-end set. Arians promised it, and Roethlisberger looked forward to it, but at the end of the year, it wasnít something that was regularly utilized by Roeth and the Steelersí offense. Heath Miller, however, did have 47 catches for a 12-yard per catch average. He also accounted for seven TDís.

Ben started utilizing his best tight end.

This season, the topic of the offense seems to be the upheaval of the running back position with Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore being added to the offense. Both backs excel at catching the football, and naturally, the topic of the passing game has turned to dumping the ball off to running backs.

Now before I go further, letís get back to Roethlisberger. Whatís made Roethlisberger a top three quarterback in this league isnít a gun for an arm (Carson Palmer), the cerebral quality of his play-making (Peyton Manning), or his pinpoint passing (Tom Brady). Whatís made him one of the best quarterbacks in the league is his ability to buy time, wait for an open receiver, and make the play downfield when the play appears over. Roethlisberger isnít the guy that backs up into the pocket, check down to the fifth option, and dump the ball off. Roethlisberger also seems to have Daryl Lamonica syndrome at times. If you donít know who Lamonica was, he was called the ĎMad Bomberí during his heydey with the Raiders, and for obvious reasons. Roeth certainly has that mentality, and ITíS A GOOD THING. Itís the one real connection he has to Bradshaw. He breaks off plays, and immediately looks deep, where open receivers often are when corners break in on broken plays. This improves exponentially when the quality of player around him improves. He is the epitome of the player that will make something out of nothing, and it has served him, and the Steelers well.

Roethlisberger has the critics that say he makes the offensive line bad by running around instead of just throwing the ball away, or dumping it off. The three flaws in this thinking are simple. 1. Roeth often has to run out of the pocket because the line got beat off the ball most of the last two seasons. 2. Who has been had to dump the ball off to? 3. Many of the plays that propelled this team to wins, were the ones that saw him break out of the pocket, and make a big play on the run. The bottom line is that there isnít a quarterback in the game that can make those types of plays better than he can.

When Roeth received a consistent safety valve (Miller), he slowly began to use him. He didnít at first. The offens evolved behind Arians and Roethlisberger, who was brought into the equation for the first time. Last year, Miller became, arguably, his most valuable target. It wasnít always in a dump off, but it often was, with Miller boxing out defenders in the middle of the field. This year, he has the added offensive firepower in Mendenhall and Moore. Will the M&M boys provide even more insurance in the passing game?

Roethlisberger may need to feel out the offense out with his new receiving threats, but itís hard to believe that it wonít happen in good time. Arians may have to force the issue with specific play calling to the backs, but Roeth may be just as apt to break off a play heís not comfortable with. Roethlisberger will look downfield first. Some call it a flaw. Some call it rogue, but itís what makes him good. Imagine, if you will, Roeth in a basic two receiver set with Ward and Holmes, Heath Miller at the tight end, and Mewelde Moore and Mendenhall in the same backfield together. Imagine Roeth breaking off a play under a heavy pass rush. Iíll take my chances with Roeth in that situation.

Itís not Brady, or Manning, and thatís a good thing.

So in 2008, be patient when the Steelers donít appear to be utilizing their safety valves early in the season, itís just a matter of time. Once Roethlisberger incorporates M&M into his thinking and his play, the Steelers offense will be very, very good.

We donít want Roethlisberger developing out of what makes him good, do we?

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/05/why-ben-roethlisberger-is-so-good/

RoethlisBURGHer
07-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Very good article.

Ben is pretty damn accurate with his throws with a career 63.2 competion percentage and a career high 65.3 last season.

Ben's arm is pretty damns trong to, otherwise he wouldn't be able to make these throws deep and accurate while on the run.

And we don't quite know yet his cerebral quality of his playmaking because last year was the first time he really was allowed to audible away from the called play. Cowher always gave him one option, and he really wasn't allowed to change from what Cowher called. But under Tomlin, Ben has been given more power at the LoS and we may soon see how smart he is as a QB, which I think is pretty damn smart.

Ben can also do one more thing the three QB's compared with aren't very apt at doing, and that's using his legs/feet to make the play when there are no options to throw it too. He'll run for the TD or to get as many yards as he can.

You'll never see Manning/Brady/Palmer running 30 yards for a TD against the Browns like Ben did last year at Heinz Field.

43Hitman
07-06-2008, 08:51 AM
That was a really good read. I really like the way Ben has developed, and am looking forward to seeing him utilize his new targets.

43Hitman
07-06-2008, 08:54 AM
If there was ever a clone to Elway I think Roethlisberger is it.

skinart82
07-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh my God are they are going to be known as M&M if they get in the backfield together!!! I don't mind Manning as much as the other to losers, but none of them have the strength or heart to break away from sacks and defenders like Ben does.

siss
07-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Then I guess its fitting that he wears number 7 then!

TackleMeBen
07-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't mind Manning as much as the other to losers, but none of them have the strength or heart to break away from sacks and defenders like Ben does.
:iagree: he is pretty tough to bring down, which is a good thing.

GBMelBlount
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
If you don’t know who Lamonica was, he was called the ‘Mad Bomber’ during his heydey with the Raiders, and for obvious reasons. Roeth certainly has that mentality, and IT’S A GOOD THING. It’s the one real connection he has to Bradshaw. He breaks off plays, and immediately looks deep, where open receivers often are when corners break in on broken plays. This improves exponentially when the quality of player around him improves. He is the epitome of the player that will make something out of nothing, and it has served him, and the Steelers well.

Though unorthodox, it's exciting as hell to watch him scramble & sling it imo.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Hmmm... Mad Bomber? There was only one Mad Bomber... and he wore Silver and Black. :wink02:

lilyoder6
07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
it's fun to watch ben run around and make those plays.. and when he does inc the new additions the off will be good

stillers4me
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Is it September yet??????? :tt03:

millwalldavey
07-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... Mad Bomber? There was only one Mad Bomber... and he wore Silver and Black. :wink02:

And got murdered by the Black and Gold.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 01:15 PM
And got murdered by the Black and Gold.

And that changes what? :flap:

millwalldavey
07-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Nothing. Ben still has more rings.

19ward86
07-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Did Parker retire cuz i didnt hear his name 1 time.

silver & black
07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Nothing. Ben still has more rings.

That would be ring. It takes more than one to be plural.:wink02:

TackleMeBen
07-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Is it September yet??????? :tt03:
not quite.. but look at this way training camp is what less than 2 weeks away:thumbsup:

PalmerSteel
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM

thats was exactly the 1st thought that came to my head. why no love for fast willie?!

millwalldavey
07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
That would be ring. It takes more than one to be plural.:wink02:

Regardless... 1 is still more than 0.

Steelman16
07-06-2008, 11:10 PM
thats was exactly the 1st thought that came to my head. why no love for fast willie?!

Either he forgot Parker is a huge part of this team, or he expressly ignored him for some unknown reason.

Like you, I'll never understand the Willie haters. He's done nothing but produce for us in a position that is filled with busts and lackluster players.

And Big Ben is not the Mad Bomber. He's, well, um, Big Ben. There's a reason they call him that. :wink02:

(or if you're that dude named Mike Silver, you'd refer to him as Large Benjamin... :doh: )

Preacher
07-07-2008, 12:32 AM

I think the discussion was more about the pass game.

Willie isn't a passing receiving RB per se.

Galax Steeler
07-07-2008, 03:32 AM
I think the discussion was more about the pass game.

Willie isn't a passing receiving RB per se.

Your right preacher they are talking about the the pass out of the backfield and the receivers he has parker has a few good ones but Mendenhall and Moore will be used more on passing downs.

Kittyfish
07-07-2008, 08:34 AM
siss: Then I guess its fitting that he wears number 7 then! I remember hearing somewhere that Elway was his favorite QB while growing up and he chose to wear number 7 in his honor. So it certainly does make sense!

TackleMeBen: I don't mind Manning as much as the other to losers, but none of them have the strength or heart to break away from sacks and defenders like Ben does.
he is pretty tough to bring down, which is a good thing.

Very true. He is a big guy, and strong, which makes him fairly hard to sack. But - no offense, TMB - every time I see him in uniform (like I've ever seen him out of uniform, heh), I think, "Dang, that boy's got some short legs on him." Which gives him a lower center of gravity, and makes him that much harder to bring down. Fortunately, he can move those short legs pretty fast when he has to, gets away from those trying to get at him, and generally gets the job done, whatever the job is at the time. I am hoping for great things from Ben in the years to come and am glad he is getting some recognition outside of Steeler Nation. Is it September yet?

siss
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
The man is 6'5, there is nothing on him that is short or small!

Personally I think he's built like a tree...and have you ever tried to tackle a tree?

fansince'76
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
why no love for fast willie?!

Because he's not a "big back," and he fumbles too much. Besides, Mendenhall is going to take his job by week 8 anyway. :rolleyes: :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Because he's not a "big back," and he fumbles too much. Besides, Mendenhall is going to take his job by week 8 anyway. :rolleyes: :coffee:

Any chance that John Kuhn is back for camp?? Then Willie's days are really numbered...:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Jim Kelly wore #12 because he grew up a Bradshaw fan. Just saying.

lilyoder6
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
good article on ben,, he just needs to come out again this yr and have better numbers he did last yr.. poss see another 30 + td thrown this yr

TackleMeBen
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Either he forgot Parker is a huge part of this team, or he expressly ignored him for some unknown reason.

Like you, I'll never understand the Willie haters. He's done nothing but produce for us in a position that is filled with busts and lackluster players.

And Big Ben is not the Mad Bomber. He's, well, um, Big Ben. There's a reason they call him that. :wink02:

(or if you're that dude named Mike Silver, you'd refer to him as Large Benjamin... :doh: )

that is too funny.:sofunny:. i just spit my tea all over my desk reading that

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Funny thing a lot of people forget is while guys like Manning, Brady, Palmer were highly recruited highschool QB's that have been playing the position a long time......Roethlisberger was a WR in highschool playing backup QB until the coach's son playing QB graduated.

Ben played 1 year of QB in highschool and 3 years at Miami, OH before getting to the NFL. To say that he is still developing is somewhat truthful and exciting knowing he has even more upside.

missedgehead
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Funny thing a lot of people forget is while guys like Manning, Brady, Palmer were highly recruited highschool QB's that have been playing the position a long time......Roethlisberger was a WR in highschool playing backup QB until the coach's son playing QB graduated.

Ben played 1 year of QB in highschool and 3 years at Miami, OH before getting to the NFL. To say that he is still developing is somewhat truthful and exciting knowing he has even more upside.

Agreed. That is what alot of people (mostly fantasy geeks who love stats....statboys/girls) who like to pick on Ben don't realize also. It is very remarkable that Ben has only been playing QB such a short time in relation to Brady , Palmer and Manning and is such an awesome one at that. :tt03:

TackleMeBen
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM

then we can line him up at WR too... :chuckle:

Preacher
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Any chance that John Kuhn is back for camp?? Then Willie's days are really numbered...:chuckle:

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

We really destroyed that HOF career didn't we?

43Hitman
07-07-2008, 04:51 PM

We can only hope. We all know that Wille can't hold Kuhn's jock-strap.:chuckle:

Steelman16
07-07-2008, 07:27 PM
We can only hope. We all know that Wille can't hold Kuhn's jock-strap.:chuckle:

:chuckle:

Truly that stained undergarment is a holy relic amongst Steelers fans. Don't touch it Willie!

warddj86
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM

I agree, because just like Elway was, Ben is a Browns-killer

:flap:

GBMelBlount
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Truly remarkable imo.

TackleMeBen
07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Ben played 1 year of QB in highschool and 3 years at Miami, OH before getting to the NFL

and he is still better than palmer...lol.. and palmer has more qb experience..lol

tony hipchest
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Ben played 1 year of QB in highschool and 3 years at Miami, OH before getting to the NFL. To say that he is still developing is somewhat truthful and exciting knowing he has even more upside.very understated point. many of these qb's (like favre, elway) had fathers who were coaches (or nfl pro's) who groomed their children to be qb's since the age of four.

ben is a bit behind the learning curve but is catching up quite fine. he probably wont peak for another 5 years. the best is yet to come.:tt03:

Steelman16
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
ben is a bit behind the learning curve but is catching up quite fine. he probably wont peak for another 5 years. the best is yet to come.:tt03:

It's because he's "behind the learning curve" that he's such a warrior. Our team is filled with these types of guys. I know the lack of love for Willie, ( :wink02: ) but he's a warrior too. They both started late and something to prove their doubters. Ben plays what I like to call "pure football" - in other words, he's not a stat-monger like his peer up north. He just goes out and plays football and does whatever it takes to get it done. If that means rolling out and getting pounded, so be it. It's part of the game. Ben is a real football player.

And you're right. Big Ben can only get better - which means great things for this franchise in the near future. :tt02:

The Duke
07-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Ben plays what I like to call "pure football" - in other words, he's not a stat-monger like his peer up north. He just goes out and plays football and does whatever it takes to get it done. If that means rolling out and getting pounded, so be it. It's part of the game. Ben is a real football player.

that's exactly what I love about ben, and it reminds me so much of the best QB ever, the favre style, a real football player just finding a way to win.

I'm eagerly waiting and fearing for the day ben starts gun slinging the ball ala favre. :yummy: it would be a precious moment, and a scary one too, lol

Edman
07-09-2008, 04:15 AM
The scary part is that Ben's skills are still not fully polished. There's still the checkdown business he needs to get down. With the amount of weapons he has now, and another year in Arians' offense, I don't see that being a problem now.

TackleMeBen
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Steelman16
he's not a stat-monger like his peer up north.

unless its winning..i am sure that is the only stat he cares about.. and maybe winning 4 more superbowls :thumbsup:

fansince'76
07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
The scary part is that Ben's skills are still not fully polished. There's still the checkdown business he needs to get down. With the amount of weapons he has now, and another year in Arians' offense, I don't see that being a problem now.

Unless the pass blocking doesn't improve. A lot easier for a QB to go through his progressions when he gets pretty much all day to do so like Manning and Brady do.

TackleMeBen
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
if he had brady's oline then he could sit back there and play a few hands of blackjack before having to worry about any defenders in his face...lol