PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Put your money where your mouth is

revefsreleets
07-07-2008, 08:33 AM
The gas price thread got me thinking: Would people actually give up their car if they could use an efficient and cheap form of public transport provided it was safe? So chime in!

fansince'76
07-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Gotta have access to a car for emergencies (example: when I'm on call and have to go into work in the middle of the night to bring a critical server back online) and for long-distance trips where public transporation isn't viable.

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I had to go with Door #3, revs. Port Authority here in Allegheny County is having severe financial problems which start up at the top with their big wigs raping the system (and those who use public transportation here, as our fares are among the highest in the country). I would use PT if I absolutely had to and I have already strongly considered selling one of my cars in the near future, as I see no end in sight to the oil fiasco.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I also picked #3...Public Transportation doesnt provide the service that would work with my weird hours....I do ride my bike into work when weather permits and when its not so hot that I would smell like a homeless person.

revefsreleets
07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I was #3, too. If I lived with someone, I'd try like Hell to become a one car family.

Dino 6 Rings
07-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I will always drive myself, regardless of gas prices. So I don't rent videos anymore or by the cheaper can of beans nowadays. I don't care. Its my car, I am in control and that is what matters.

Besides, with high gas prices, the Poor People are off the road. Good Ridance Says I, let them eat Cake!

stlrtruck
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't give up my truck but I know how un-reliable public transportation is. So I'd rather just pedal to work and use my car for closer rides.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I would take option numver three also.

You have to have a car for emergencies. Not to mention public transportation will NEVER be 100% reliable. Buses have to make stops to pick-up and drop-off people and most don't run on the freeway due to it being unsafe.

Not to mention the only way to almost gaurantee you getting to somewhere on time is to drive yourself.

TackleMeBen
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
i voted for number 3 also.

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
i voted for number 3 also.

You don't need a car. You could fly Air Busch. :chuckle:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/i/bcst/yahoosports/865/59088396.jpg

TackleMeBen
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Marianne, that is so wrong :rofl::rofl::rofl:..up up and away dumbo

CantStop85
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Nope. Public transportation is not reliable enough time-wise and availability-wise. I do some things in order to cut down on driving such as running/biking to work or other places and "carpool" like by taking some friends who live in the same town as me with me when I go home from college. But I can't ever see myself "relying" on public transportation.

TheWarDen86
07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Man, I can't stand those two (especially Kurt).

MACH1
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Gotta go with #2. Where I live there is no such thing as public transpo.

Preacher
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I had to go with option 2.

I need the freedom to get into a car at any time and go anywhere.

That is part of my job. It is also part of what keeps my sanity.

HometownGal
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Gotta go with #2. Where I live there is no such thing as public transpo.

Consider yourself lucky MACH. Almost every time I've taken public transportation in the past, some ignorant slug behind me or next to me decides to call everyone they know on their cell phone or a big, fat smelly wildebeest squeezes his/her barrel ass next to me, nods off into a deep slumber with a snore that would wake the dead and I end up with that nasty, greasy head on my shoulder. :yuck: I think I'd prefer using the shoe leather express if it comes down to it.

fansince'76
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Almost every time I've taken public transportation in the past....a big, fat smelly wildebeest squeezes his/her barrel ass next to me, nods off into a deep slumber with a snore that would wake the dead and I end up with that nasty, greasy head on my shoulder.

http://ccs.clarityconnect.com/NRiggs/wildebeest.bmp

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to be sitting next to that on the city bus either. :toofunny:

Preacher
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Consider yourself lucky MACH. Almost every time I've taken public transportation in the past, some ignorant slug behind me or next to me decides to call everyone they know on their cell phone or a big, fat smelly wildebeest squeezes his/her barrel ass next to me, nods off into a deep slumber with a snore that would wake the dead and I end up with that nasty, greasy head on my shoulder. :yuck: I think I'd prefer using the shoe leather express if it comes down to it.

HTG...

Come now, you can take care of that.

Here is what you do.

Grab a small bag. blow air into it and hold tight to the end... then pop it.

Watch the guy/gal jump. when they do that, have the person sitting on the other side slide over to you.

See? It is that easy!!

Mosca
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
#2 here also. I have some pretty good professional reasons for choosing #2, but also, most of rural and semi-rural America has not evolved in a way that makes public transportation a useful option.

I understand the way you worded the question forces that into the "IF"... but that's a big "if" where I come from. When I lived in Oakland (Pittsburgh's Oakland), I could take a bus from Oakland to Oakmont to work. It was 75 minutes, but I could do it, it was cheap, and I didn't have to wait too long on either end. There is no way that a bus would even run from Mountain Top to the Wyoming Valley Mall, even though it's only 6 miles and 15 minutes away; there wouldn't be enough riders to support ONE loop, let alone a regular schedule!

The fact is that our social landscape has developed around the automobile, and public transportation is only one thing that needs to change if we are to look social organization for a solution. Shopping needs to become de-centralized again. it's a lot bigger than public transportation.

MACH1
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM

:toofunny:

I thought you were talking about my wife there for a second (well the snoring part anyway) :sofunny: Hope she doesn't see this.:bat:

MACH1
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
HTG...

Come now, you can take care of that.

Here is what you do.

Grab a small bag. blow air into it and hold tight to the end... then pop it.

Watch the guy/gal jump. when they do that, have the person sitting on the other side slide over to you.

See? It is that easy!!

If she did that she might end up with something besides a greasy head on her and a lot more smelly.

GBMelBlount
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Almost every time I've taken public transportation in the past, some ignorant slug behind me or next to me decides to call everyone they know on their cell phone or a big, fat smelly wildebeest squeezes his/her barrel ass next to me, nods off into a deep slumber with a snore that would wake the dead and I end up with that nasty, greasy head on my shoulder.

Thanks for the "info" I'll take #2. lol.

tony hipchest
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
unfortunately, the international spaceport here will not be operational until around 2010. and at $200,000 a ride, it may be a little out of my range.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/roswell064-1.jpg
(not a photoshopped or google image.... i took this pic today.)

Until that becomes more affordable, my options for "public transport" consist of my automobile or a horse.