PDA

View Full Version : Any poker players here? (No-Limit Hold 'Em)

hicksfan
11-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I've been pretty enamoured over it the past year, slowly (hopefully) getting better. I bought a piece of software called Poker Academy Pro that has definitely made me a better player. You can either play against the computer (who's AI is top of the line) or online for free money against very stiff competition. From a money standpoint, it's the most cost effective method of improving your play that I've come across. The Pro version is $130, but they also have a standard for $30 which still allows you play against the computer or online minus the technical bells and whistles that come w/ the Pro version. I would highly recommend this software for anyone who remotely takes their game serious and wants to improve.

I was playing online last night and had the hand you play for - 4 Q's vs. a Full House, and they were trying to push me around with it. BRING IT ON! I checked from the button with a Q in my hand and the flop comes Q Q A. I bet the minimum and a caller raised me. I figured them for an A and so I called. 7 on the turn helped neither, another Q on the river and I bet the minimum again and was met with an all-in bet. After having my ass kicked repeatedly for the last two weeks (solid thumping, mind you) it was a welcome sight.

Anyhoo, if anyone else has that software - let me know and we'll play sometime.

clevestinks
11-16-2005, 04:58 PM
I love to play, but don`t have that software. Maybe I should put it on my Christmas List

hicksfan
11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I love to play, but don`t have that software. Maybe I should put it on my Christmas List

You can check the software out at http://www.poker-academy.com

I definitely recommend this software for anyone who wants to improve their game.

Steel - X
11-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I play a lot of poker and the best way to learn is play with different types of real players. Granite hicksfan may have a point and that software may improve your game but to me playing with people is the best way. I love playing in touranments online and I hold many events at my house. I play on pokerstars.net have not had the jewels to fork out some of my own money onto a poker site though. Just dont trust myself I guess.

clevestinks
11-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Now I can relate to the Pokerstars! But I am interested in the software, thanks hick!

SuperMan313
11-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Party Poker is where I play, if you are a hardcore Poker player or the casual Poker player it's still a great place to play.

http://www.partypoker.com/

Blitzburgh55
11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I play at pokerstars.com

Hammer67
11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I have to say nothing es better then sitting down and playing. And, I am talking about playing with those on your level. I just got back from Vegas and played in my first Binions tournament. Finished top 20 out of 100+. I also played a $1-$2 No limit game at the Mirage. Walked away with over $500 starting with $100.

Playing live poker is the best way to improve. Online play is okay, but nothing is better then seeing a tell in someone and taking a big pot.

BTW, you will find me at Bodog.com playing online. I have a Steelers logo as my avatar.

hicksfan
11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
I play a lot of poker and the best way to learn is play with different types of real players. Granite hicksfan may have a point and that software may improve your game but to me playing with people is the best way. I love playing in touranments online and I hold many events at my house. I play on pokerstars.net have not had the jewels to fork out some of my own money onto a poker site though. Just dont trust myself I guess.

Obviously, nothing matches the real thing with real chips and real opponents. That's what I was referring to when talking about becoming a better player. You can't always have 6-8 buddies at your leisure at 8:25 for 45 minutes on Tuesday night. That's where this software comes in really handy.

I was comparing this to the free side of many popular poker sites, where you have total idiots calling any raise with their 6s8h and one of them is bound to beat your good hand. There's no way to get any good practice that way, in my opinion. With this, I can.

Like I said, I have the Pro version. Against the computer I can freeze the button anywhere I want in case I want to just practice blind play. I have options like selecting my dealt hand (whether it be specific or a random pick from a list) that make it an almost invaluable tool. It records every single hand I play, and everyone I play against via the software. I can immediately draw up that persons statistics as well as past hand record.

What I like about this site is the level of competitive play. $130 for the Pro is a buy, the $30 for the standard is a steal.