PDA

View Full Version : Bryant McFadden may be the steelers best cornerback???

Aussie_steeler
07-09-2008, 07:44 PM
http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/09/bryant-mcfadden-may-be-the-steelers-best-cornerback/

Bryant McFadden is fighting for a starting job. That is more than saying something, considering what McFadden had to deal with last season. First, McFadden suffered a high ankle sprain in week 4, against the Arizona Cardinals. McFadden, who was trying to steal Deshea Townsendís starting job at the time, would miss three weeks, before coming back. The only problem? He wasnít 100% yet, and his play showed.

McFadden, an athletic corner with good speed and jumping ability, didnít look like the same football player. He would eventually sprain his other ankle, and played nearly the entire season limping. It was a wasted season, and the Steelers, who were suffering several injuries in the defensive backfield, paid the price. Open receivers let many quarterbacks off-the-hook when facing Dick LeBeauís blitz packages.

This year, it wonít be as easy. Why? Bryant McFadden is healthy.

McFadden is back, and according to everyone in camp, heís healthy. According to the Trib-Review, McFadden, Santonio Holmes, James Farrior and fellow corner Ike Taylor all took part in ďthe football boot camp better known as Tom Shaw Performance Enhancement.Ē Shawís specialty is working on speed and agility, and those werenít issues with McFadden before camp.

McFadden brings all facets to a cornerback. At 6′0″, 190 lbs, he has the size to play corner. He has good speed, running a 4.35 40, and has the innate ability to close on the receivers heís covering. He has a 41″ vertical, so there arenít many receivers who are going to out jump him. He is a vicious tackler out of the backfield. Probably the most intangible piece of his game is his nearly overbearing attitude. The kid plays with a mean streak, and fits the Steelers mode to a T.

So, whatís the problem been? In his rookie season, he was just that, a rookie. He still made several solid plays that year, including one of the biggest. He knocked away a pass to Reggie Wayne with 25 seconds left in the game, and Mike Vanderjagt missed the field goal that would have tied the game.

In 2006, he took over for a struggling Ike Taylor. So why didnít he win a job? There were games where he looked like the second coming of Mel Blount, and games when he didnít. There was a level of inconsistency that seemed to match his attitude at the time. Heís not a kid with a bad motor at all, but he does seem to play to the emotion. Before the end of the year, Taylor had regained his job, but McFadden was set to take over in 2007 at some point. Enter Mike Tomlin, who had turned Ronde Barber into pro bowl player in Tampa.

Enter McFaddenís injuries.

Last season, while McFadden was dealing with his ankle injuries, Ike Taylor re-established himself as a decent corner. Deshea Townsend, however, began to show his age. McFadden is ready to pounce, and he should be the starter heading into the season. If he canít beat out Townsend, then Iíve greatly over exaggerated how good McFadden could be. I doubt that very much.

McFadden is entering his contract year, and no doubt, McFadden has a lot to prove. Now that heís healthy, can he remain so? I say yes. Itís not like McFadden is loaded down with injuries. Can he beat out a current corner? I say yes as well. Townsend is 32, and about four years past his prime. Townsend is still serviceable, but I donít see him starting week-in and week-out. Can he be an impact corner? He has a 4.35 40, a 41″ vertical, good football instincts, and is just plain mean. I donít think that will be a problem.

Bryant McFadden is the best corner on the Steelersí roster, and this year, heís going to prove it.

Interesting read but I Dont really agree with this guys assessment. IMO Ike is still the No 1 CB on the roster.

Being a Rosenhaus client and in a final contract year no doubt McFadden will finally play to his potential and then move on via free agency.

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Disagree. If BMac plays to potential, we sign him for big money. Ike is underrated and hated by people who don't understand what the CB position is all about, especially in the 3-4. Townsend has beaten out McFadden because he's disciplined and never gets smoked, but he's also a little slow and undersized. He's not a shutdown corner. If this kid IS a shutdown corner, the Steelers will never part with him. It's paramount to the zone/blitz that you have DB's who can live on an island.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Disagree. If BMac plays to potential, we sign him for big money. Ike is underrated and hated by people who don't understand what the CB position is all about, especially in the 3-4. Townsend has beaten out McFadden because he's disciplined and never gets smoked, but he's also a little slow and undersized. He's not a shutdown corner. If this kid IS a shutdown corner, the Steelers will never part with him. It's paramount to the zone/blitz that you have DB's who can live on an island.

Agreed. We haven't had an impact CB since Woody left. If he plays up to his potential the team will keep him off the market. I'm inclined to agree with the article in that BMAc will put Townsend on the nickle defense, or maybe even safety.

revefsreleets
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't complain about Ike, either. He's LOADED with talent, and only has the very occasional let down. He came from nowhere and had a HUGE role to play in the Steelers SB run. There's a lot of upside to Ike still.

I had BMac bumping Townsend two years ago, and was wrong. Deshea is a great CB, and is the classic overachiever. We were lucky to recognize his talent. But it's time for "next" and I'm really hoping Mac is it.

tony hipchest
07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't complain about Ike, either. He's LOADED with talent, and only has the very occasional let down. He came from nowhere and had a HUGE role to play in the Steelers SB run. There's a lot of upside to Ike still.

I had BMac bumping Townsend two years ago, and was wrong. Deshea is a great CB, and is the classic overachiever. We were lucky to recognize his talent. But it's time for "next" and I'm really hoping Mac is it.your assessment of deshea sounds much like what many people didnt realize we had in chris hope.

i agree with rev's assessment of bryant. he has been made to earn his keep, thus keeping his market value a slight bit lower. he was drafted a year or two before he was an actual need. philadelphia and the steelers are excellent in drafting in this manner. it is a great way to keep from drafting in the top 10 every other year.

we all know how good santonio and heath miller are, but do you think the steelers are gonna make them the main focus of the offense, sending them to the pro bowl every year, and out of the stratosphere for their 2nd contract.

its not the steeler way. those whe appreciate steeler tradition should understand this. im not saying a player like james harrison was kinda kept "under wraps" but he was kinda kept under wraps.

i laugh when i hear fans scared of the big, ol, mean, bad, evil agent drew.

how long did he hold the steelers hostage last year when his client (timmons) was the 2nd 1st round rookie to sign (behind 31'st pick olsen)????

long before the rest of the pansie assed teams and their rookie's brokeback agents had to wait on everybody else to "establish the market". :yawn:

Hapa
07-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Is he related to Darren McFadden?

The Duke
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
all our corner will be facing pretty darn good receivers this season, and they have shown they can occasionally shut down some of em( bungles, colts....) and sometimes just can't seem to keep up( patriots).

the afc north has great receivers, so whoever wins between B Mac and deshea must be more than realiable, which is pretty much what deshea was last season, so I'm hoping bryant performs great. you're healthy? good, show it on the field :helmet:

Galax Steeler
07-10-2008, 05:47 AM
I think Mcfadden will start in the near future if he don't want a big contract when his comes up.

atlsteelers
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I like bmac alot. i hope he shakes the injuries this year pushes deshea to the nickel back. Taylor would be an allpro if he could catch.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
A defensive backfiend of:

CB-Taylor
FS-Clark
SS-Polamalu
CB-McFadden

That is potentially one of THE BEST backfields in the NFL. All we need is for BMac to stop showing flashes of what he can do and just play like the corner we all know he can be. If he does, he'll get locked up. If not, he'll be free to sign with whoever he wants to at postseason's end.

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I like McFadden because when he does make a play I can stand up and do the Florida State chant and drop the Hatchet on fools.

I hope Timmons pans out as well, then I'll be dropping the hatchet everytime our defense is on the field. I'm not an FSU fan, I just like the war chant.

revefsreleets
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
A defensive backfiend of:

CB-Taylor
FS-Clark
SS-Polamalu
CB-McFadden

That is potentially one of THE BEST backfields in the NFL. All we need is for BMac to stop showing flashes of what he can do and just play like the corner we all know he can be. If he does, he'll get locked up. If not, he'll be free to sign with whoever he wants to at postseason's end.

If Smith could make the kind of progress Troy did in his first cuple of years, I wouldn't mind him instead of Clark. But he REALLY needs to learn to play more disciplined football. Clark lives in the film room, and I'm not sure Smith does due dilligence in that department.

tony hipchest
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
If Smith could make the kind of progress Troy did in his first cuple of years, I wouldn't mind him instead of Clark. But he REALLY needs to learn to play more disciplined football. Clark lives in the film room, and I'm not sure Smith does due dilligence in that department.
he can. i watched the 1 hour replay of the 2004 opener vs oakland (polamalus 1st career start) and oak wr gabriel (who pretty much sucks) beat troy like a rented mule. of course troy was peeking in the backfield and bit horribly on a gannon pump fake.

oddly enough, to show how far troy had come along in his 1st season as a starter, he bit horribly again in the afc champ game and brady made him look like a burnt slice of melba toast.

we have the potential to have a very cohesive and young unit. i love clark and deshea, but having our youngsters gel together on the field would do a world of good. it may not be til next season though.

but like with timmons, woodley, harrison, troy, hope, deshea, ike, etc... im willing to have patience with mcfadden.

i dont think tomlin will let draft or contract status influence his decision who plays. like you said, the nose in the playbooks can make up for not having superhuman talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
IF McFadden has a great year and goes to Unrestricted Free Agency.....the Steelers will be outbid for his services.

If he doesnt achieve his potential, he will be signed for a decent amount of $$ and be competing with William Gay for the starting job next season.

Gay is the next Deshea Townsend...a CB without the great stopwatch speed, that always is around the ball.

Rotorhead
07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I guess I dont understand how anyone can say anything poorly about Ike . . . he has shut down almost every elite receiver in the league, some multiple times. IF BMac can play near that well our def backfield will be tops. As for Townsend, he has impressed me every year he has played. He is smart and rarely, if ever gets burned. I think he would make a perfect safety but imagine we will see him in the nickel this season.

atlsteelers
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I have cursed Taylor on many of occasion. He has hands like nate washington. But overall i like ike. just wish he could catch (although he does have a knack for catching a football during the playoffs).

paw-n-maul-u
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
IF McFadden has a great year and goes to Unrestricted Free Agency.....the Steelers will be outbid for his services.

If he doesnt achieve his potential, he will be signed for a decent amount of $$ and be competing with William Gay for the starting job next season.

Gay is the next Deshea Townsend...a CB without the great stopwatch speed, that always is around the ball.

so optimistic.

ha but in reality ... agreed.

I said this before and I'll say it again. I do not think Mike Tomlin (a defensive backs coach) has found "his guy" at the corner position. I think he came in and really liked the situation Ike was in, being shunned and all. I think Tomlin also took to Ike's willingness and attitude. For some reason I just read a couple reports here and there about Mcfadden not always having the best attitude.

It's only a matter of time before Mikey T has a little more leeway and Snags his first rounder corner to build his secondary around. Not saying we don't ALREADY need another corner. But A first or second round pick, tomlins "guy", would solidify this group.

revefsreleets
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, when it comes to cornerbacks, if they could catch the ball, they'd be playing WR.

Steelers won't let this kid get away if he lives up to his potential. Bank it.

lilyoder6
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
i would love 4 b-mac to resign w/ us.. i hope he does beat out deshea and deashea needs to become a nickel/dime player anyway w/ his current age

43Hitman
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I have cursed Taylor on many of occasion. He has hands like nate washington. But overall i like ike. just wish he could catch (although he does have a knack for catching a football during the playoffs).

Lol, I hear ya but that's why Taylor is a DB and not a WR. I guess that only leaves one question. What is Nate's excuse?

Steeldude
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
He has good speed, running a 4.35 40

he plays like he runs a 4.7 :smile:

seriously, so far all i have seen from mcfadden are PI penalties and lame dance moves. IMO, i feel gay will be the better CB for the steelers' defense.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-11-2008, 03:31 AM
I love B-Mac too.

But he underperformed last season and what will change?

YES! UNDERPERFORMED! Bryant...get over the U.

Bruce Davis will join Polamalu to some degree.

Galax Steeler
07-11-2008, 04:42 AM
he plays like he runs a 4.7 :smile:

seriously, so far all i have seen from mcfadden are PI penalties and lame dance moves. IMO, i feel gay will be the better CB for the steelers' defense.

I had forgot about gay he showed some good game play last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I said this before and I'll say it again. I do not think Mike Tomlin (a defensive backs coach) has found "his guy" at the corner position. I think he came in and really liked the situation Ike was in, being shunned and all. I think Tomlin also took to Ike's willingness and attitude. For some reason I just read a couple reports here and there about Mcfadden not always having the best attitude.

Yeah, he coached WR's too at one point in his career too. I dont think Tomlin being a position coach has a large bearing on needing "his guy". I too think he likes how Ike responded to the challenge.

This is gonna be a money play at the end of the season for McFadden and I think they will have no option but to let him walk. That means 2010 will be Ike, Gay, Townsend and either a FA or Tomlin's guy picked on day 1.

We have so many needs on draft day, but I think Starks will be signed to play LT(big mistake) Hartwig will be solid at C, so the focus on Day 1 will be DE, CB.

My money is McFadden wins the starting job, has some ups and downs, but bolts for better $$.

19ward86
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I hope this guy is right, we all know that we need DBs.

ChronoCross
07-12-2008, 01:38 AM

There is no such thing as a shutdown corner is this league anymore..

FordsnSteelers
07-12-2008, 09:04 AM
McFadden is way better than what we have seen from him. if he dosent beat out Deshea the spot oppsite Ike than forgettabout em.

slashsteel
07-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I think if he wins the start he stays. Deshea is no spring chicken, On the flipside is if he doesn't win the start he could very well be allowed to test free agency. But the FO is smart if they think he can be a long term starter they will lock him up.............

SteelMember
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Since he was drafted, I always hoped he would push himself beyond expectations because he thought he was undervalued like another Fl. State draftee, Chris Hope. He has been very inconsistent though, and that's why I don't think he couldn't beat out Townsend in the past. I do see him taking more chances (jumping routes and being more physical). Townsend seems a little soft somtimes, but his knowlege of the playbook makes him pretty solid in coverage. well, at least you know what your getting.:chuckle:
All that being said, I think Ike is the best we have right now and if he could catch, he would have made about 8 ints last year. The defense sure could have used more of those.

benfan7
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
ike is a shut-down corner...big time WR's like chad johnson and braylon edwards rarely have a huge game against him! thats ike's main job (keep the ball out of the wide out's hands), getting an interception is just a bonus. but in bryant mcfadden's case, he isnt the best steeler's corner until he proves it...hopefully he will, so the steelers will have 3 solid corners (ike, mcfadden, townsend)

revefsreleets
07-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Yup, I concur. Ike is the real deal. He steps up against big time players and keeps then from having big time games. Brady lit up our safeties last year, not our DB's. I think B-mac has what it takes to do so on the other island, and the Steelers are not retarded enough to let that slip away.

Welcome To Smashmouth
07-18-2008, 04:28 PM
All I know is that this guy is entirely too talented to not get the starting nod

He's way past due