PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Jaguars headed to Los Angeles?

Aussie_steeler
07-10-2008, 07:57 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/07/jacksonville-ja.html

While the hottest NFL buzz of the moment is whether the Rooney family will sell the Pittsburgh Steelers to financier Stanley Druckenmiller, a bigger football story may be brewing.

The Philadelphia Daily News reports that the Jacksonville Jaguars -- a rising playoff team that has had attendance woes in its small market -- may be up for sale and headed to the vacant Los Angeles territory.

The News' Paul Domowitch writes that Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver has been shopping his team and, according to several league sources, is negotiating to sell to billionaire C. Dean Metropoulos. Metropoulos fueled his fortune as the former owner of the parent company of such food brands as Duncan Hines, Armour and Mrs. Paul's.

Metropoulos has denied he's angling to solve the NFL's biggest demographic problem, but the News says the deal is being brokered by the Galatioto Sports Partners firm that in recent years has greased transfers of ownership of the Washington Redskins and Phoenix Suns. Metropoulos also has been linked to previous efforts to buy the Oakland Raiders and the Miami Dolphins, the News said, although he's denied that as well.

The Florida Times-Union says the Jaguars have declined immediate comment on the issue.

By Reid Cherner & Tom Weir

There is starting to be a lot of smoke developing this offseason. I wonder where the fire is going to break out first??

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 08:18 AM
So would the LA Jaguars still be part of the AFC South? Or would they Move KC to the South and put LA In the West?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
So would the LA Jaguars still be part of the AFC South? Or would they Move KC to the South and put LA In the West?

I don't see them moving KC anywhere because of their history with the rest of the AFC West.

Putting a team in LA does create a logjam when it comes to confernces. LA isn't "south" enough to be in the south division, but there's no logical team to move from the west division if you wanna keep the natural rivalries in tact.

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Rotten deal for Jax fans but that market is devoted first to SEC football and is too small to support a NFL franchise.

It is unfortunate Baltimore did not get the franchise when Jax was selected in the last expanison go round, which would have kept Modell from screwing Cleveland.

San Diego has been trying to get out of its lease for years; this move cannot be good news for Chargers ownership if it occurs.

Vis
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't see them moving KC anywhere because of their history with the rest of the AFC West.

Putting a team in LA does create a logjam when it comes to confernces. LA isn't "south" enough to be in the south division, but there's no logical team to move from the west division if you wanna keep the natural rivalries in tact.

It's more south than Indy.

Edman
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
It'll create as much as logjam as the the old NFC East, where the Eagles, Giants, and Redskins would have to travel across the country to Arizona, and Vice Versa.

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Move KC to the South, that'll be best. Then you'd have The Jags Chargers Raiders and Broncos in the West and the Chiefs, Colts, Texans and Titans in the South.

Makes ZERO sense for the Jags to stay in the south if they go out west. None at all.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
It's more south than Indy.

But where were you gonna stick Indy at that time?

They wanted to keep the Steelers-Browns-Bengals-Ravens rivalries in tact when they realigned so Indy really had nowhere to go but the AFC South.

Vis
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
If Dallas can be in the East the names mean nothing anyway

revefsreleets
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Even when playing well Jax can't sell out that stadium. They had to block off big chunks of it for most games, and I think they are blacked-out locally a lot. That's SEC territory, it's actually kind of a redneck/S. Alabama town, and they should have never been awarded a Super Bowl either. I'm just a big fan of the town or the folks who live there, and never have been...

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Its like the opposite of what happens in Miami. Miami is a Dolphin town first and the Hurricanes can't sell out even when they are winning. With all the College football in the Northern Florida area, as well as Georgia and Alabama, the Jags just never caught on with the fan base. Which a lot of in that area is transplants from other cities in the North. Lots of NY, Philly, NE, Baltimore transplants in Northern Florida. Bad location to put an NFL Franchise, especially when the locals of Florida already had 2 Pro teams to chose from.

Bad business. Not that going to LA would be any better. If you aren't winning in LA, people don't show up to football games in the Fall. Its going to be tough no matter where they go. Maybe UTAH could support a pro team. Though I doubt it.

millwalldavey
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Sawp em out with the Rams... Move the Rams to AFC south and Jags to NFC west.

Dino 6 Rings
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Sawp em out with the Rams... Move the Rams to AFC south and Jags to NFC west.

Ugh, I hate switching conferences but the Rams in the West is rather silly.

millwalldavey
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah... they did it with Seattle... so who knows....

k7brown
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Jaguars owner, Wayne Weaver denies report that team is for sale:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3481424

stillers4me
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Better them than us.

silver & black
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Move KC to the South, that'll be best. Then you'd have The Jags Chargers Raiders and Broncos in the West and the Chiefs, Colts, Texans and Titans in the South.

Makes ZERO sense for the Jags to stay in the south if they go out west. None at all.

Long time Raiders and Chiefs fans would have none of it. That is one of the best rivalries in the NFL.

Steelman16
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
How 'bout we move 'em to OKC so we can watch basketball AND football this season! :flap:

warddj86
07-10-2008, 05:44 PM

That would make the most sense

Hawk Believer
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah... they did it with Seattle... so who knows....

They did it twice with Seattle...

There is so much history with KC in the AFC West. It would be sad to have them move out of the division.

rbryan
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry, but Seattle doesn't count to begin with, you can pretty much move them to wherever theres a spot available ........who cares?

The Seasquawks where on death row when they played in the AFC West. If they didn't get a reprieve from the Gov and moved to the weakest divison in the NFL they would have been executed already.

I'd say all this realignment talk is a little premature to begin with. I doubt the Jags are going anywhere soon.

beSteelmyheart
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Even when playing well Jax can't sell out that stadium. They had to block off big chunks of it for most games, and I think they are blacked-out locally a lot. That's SEC territory, it's actually kind of a redneck/S. Alabama town, and they should have never been awarded a Super Bowl either. I'm just a big fan of the town or the folks who live there, and never have been...

That's because the organization is a bunch of pu$$ies..They sold out with a record crowd when the Steelers came to town a few years back(my first Steelers game) & the Steelers fans just took over that stadium & I guess they didn't like that too much & did what they could to keep us out for the next game in Jacksonville.
I live on the central Florida coast & we get more Dolphins & Buccaneer games than Jags games on regular TV.

millwalldavey
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but Seattle doesn't count to begin with, you can pretty much move them to wherever theres a spot available ........who cares?

I still think we should donate the Seahawks and the Eagles to the CFL.

Galax Steeler
07-11-2008, 04:21 AM
I still think we should donate the Seahawks and the Eagles to the CFL.

That wouldn't be much of a donation they would be getting burnt.

revefsreleets
07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Prior to the Super Bowl, in all my days in both NE Ohio and Central Florida, I met exactly ONE Seahawks fan. Scratch that, I only ever SAW one Seahwaks fan, and it was the same guy...he was a college roommate.

Talk about a team with a geographically constrained fanbase on no tradition of any kind...

rbryan
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
They have tradition.........a tradition of being the biggest crybabies in the NFL.

Holmgren (aka the chubster) gives all fat ba$turds hope that they too can be an NFL coach....So he's kind of a poster boy for fat boys. I know Romeo owes him a lot....lol

Other than that I don't think of football when I think Seattle. Now if I need a pencil necked geek to write script for a video game, I'll call someone from the great NW.

Godfather
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Rotten deal for Jax fans but that market is devoted first to SEC football and is too small to support a NFL franchise.

It is unfortunate Baltimore did not get the franchise when Jax was selected in the last expanison go round, which would have kept Modell from screwing Cleveland.

San Diego has been trying to get out of its lease for years; this move cannot be good news for Chargers ownership if it occurs.

Nah, Momoneydell would have just moved somewhere else like Jacksonville or Memphis. It might be better that he went to Baltimore because they still don't like seeing "Indianapolis Colts" and were more amenable to leaving the name and history in Cleveland.

silver & black
07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Prior to the Super Bowl, in all my days in both NE Ohio and Central Florida, I met exactly ONE Seahawks fan. Scratch that, I only ever SAW one Seahwaks fan, and it was the same guy...he was a college roommate.

Talk about a team with a geographically constrained fanbase on no tradition of any kind...

Funny you should mention that. I know exactly one Seahawks fan. He's the only one I have ever met.

fansince'76
07-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Holmgren (aka the chubster) gives all fat ba$turds hope that they too can be an NFL coach....So he's kind of a poster boy for fat boys. I know Romeo owes him a lot....lol

Not to mention Weis (even though he coaches at the NCAA level) - I swear that man gets fatter every year.

lilyoder6
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
w/ the price of gas maybe him and the coach from ku might lose some weight since they won't be traveling as much.. LA should have a good fan base 4 a football team.. and now-a-days u rly can't beleive in what someone says or doesn't say... ex.. favre, CJ, Brand (nba), and others

millwalldavey
07-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Funny you should mention that. I know exactly one Seahawks fan. He's the only one I have ever met.

An old flame was a Seahawks fan. Glad I traded up for a born -and-raised Steeler fan!

Hawk Believer
07-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Geographically isolated? Yes. No tradition? Thats awfully ignorant.

I am plenty happy with the size of our fanbase if that means we won't be adding people as needlessly classless as some of the people on this thread.:wave:

fansince'76
07-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I am plenty happy with the size of our fanbase if that means we won't be adding people as needlessly classless as some of the people on this thread.:wave:

Oh, you mean such "classy" individuals as the following?

The days of reconing are before us. Although the Stealers have already tainted the NFL with the way they cheated in XL, the mighty Seattle Seahawks finally get a chance to redeem what was taken from us. The Stealers no longer have a fat, overweight, handicapped dumbass at running back for the entire country to pitty. Also, they no longer have that loud mouth bitc# Joey Porter to make shit up to try and get the rest of your weakass defense fired up. THERE WILL BE NO WAY THE STEALERS CAN WIN THIS GAME.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=303082#post303082

Give me a break. :coffee:

lilyoder6
07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
and what was the score of that game by the way???

Hawk Believer
07-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I never said that there weren't losers in the Seahawks fan base. Every team has them.

I do think its funny how a few Steeler fans continue to bring up the ref issue from XL. Its not Seahawks fans who bring it up anymore around here. But it does get retread over and over by a minority of Steeler fans who were apparently so wounded by talk around the league back in XL that they can't fully enjoy the championship their team earned.

Yes, the Steelers have one of the most storied traditions in football and the Seahawks don't. I guess that is why I think its odd that some Steeler fans would feel compelled to start talking smack when totally unprovoked.

I will never pretend to portray myself as a skilled smack talker. But I have made some observations about the art of the years. There is a time and a place for talking smack. On this site its supposedly in the Blast Furnace, but that requires a bit too much nuance for some people to observe. Talking smack is appropriate in response to someone who has been trolling or talking baseless trash themselves. And there is also good natured smack talk that can and should happen before a game.

I just think that people who are talking ignorant smack against my team and fellow fans in some random thread drift are saying a lot more about themselves than they are about me. The old "act like you've been there before and like you're going ot be there again" aphorism seems appropriate to apply here.

Maybe Tony Hipchest can run a mentorship program for some of the people on this site about how to talk smack without making yourself look like a dweeb.

fansince'76
07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I do think its funny how a few Steeler fans continue to bring up the ref issue from XL. Its not Seahawks fans who bring it up anymore around here.

Outside of yourself, I don't think there are any Seahawks fans around here. And please don't even try to tell me the issue is dead with Seahawks fans and it's only a minority of Steelers fans beating the dead horse. It's simply not so. This little nugget of bitterness was from a bit over a month ago now.

• TOUCHÉ. From Mike Barrett, of Toronto: "If Joey Porter is going to raise the issue of getting cheated by the Patriots, then he won't mind a giant asterisk beside the referee-gifted Super Bowl XL win that was bestowed upon his Steelers.''

The only point I'd make, Mike, is that Seattle did not lose that Super Bowl because of the officiating.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/26/king.tuesday.qb/1.html

Yes, the Steelers have one of the most storied traditions in football and the Seahawks don't. I guess that is why I think its odd that some Steeler fans would feel compelled to start talking smack when totally unprovoked.

I will never pretend to portray myself as a skilled smack talker. But I have made some observations about the art of the years. There is a time and a place for talking smack. On this site its supposedly in the Blast Furnace, but that requires a bit too much nuance for some people to observe. Talking smack is appropriate in response to someone who has been trolling or talking baseless trash themselves. And there is also good natured smack talk that can and should happen before a game.

I just think that people who are talking ignorant smack against my team and fellow fans in some random thread drift are saying a lot more about themselves than they are about me. The old "act like you've been there before and like you're going ot be there again" aphorism seems appropriate to apply here.

Maybe Tony Hipchest can run a mentorship program for some of the people on this site about how to talk smack without making yourself look like a dweeb.

I think one poster already expressed that exact sentiment, yet when he says it, on a Steelers board no less, it's "smack." Got it. :thumbsup:

Hawk Believer
07-12-2008, 12:45 AM
• TOUCHÉ. From Mike Barrett, of Toronto: "If Joey Porter is going to raise the issue of getting cheated by the Patriots, then he won't mind a giant asterisk beside the referee-gifted Super Bowl XL win that was bestowed upon his Steelers.''

The only point I'd make, Mike, is that Seattle did not lose that Super Bowl because of the officiating.

Where did it say that Mike Barrett was a Seahawk fan? I missed that in your citation. Plus, I thought there was only about two of us.:noidea: All the Hawk fans I know who were bent out of shape about XL officiating have long given up on trying debate about it because it just serves to make them look bad. Yes, there are some fans that still feel like they got screwed, but all the chatter I hear is about next year, not 2005.

There are NFL fans who aren't Seahawk fans who didn't agree with the officiating of XL. There are actually fans of other teams who dislike the Steelers. They probably like to bring up XL officiating aspersions just because they know it will get the goat of a few Steeler fans.
I think one poster already expressed that exact sentiment, yet when he says it, on a Steelers board no less, it's "smack." Got it. You can keep saying it over and over if thats what you need to feel good about yourself. Just letting you know it can start to look kinda pathetic.

But the part that really looks silly is when people start throwing out statements like nobody cares about the Seahawks, there aren't any fans, and there is no tradition. Such ingnorant statements belie the reputation of most Steeler fans have for being knowledgable about football.

fansince'76
07-12-2008, 12:51 AM
You can keep saying it over and over if thats what you need to feel good about yourself. Just letting you know it can start to look kinda pathetic.

But the part that really looks silly is when people start throwing out statements like nobody cares about the Seahawks, there aren't any fans, and there is no tradition. Such ingnorant statements belie the reputation of most Steeler fans have for being knowledgable about football.

What was I "saying over and over," exactly? Sorry, but if I was to move every thread that contained one or two uncomplimentary comments toward other teams to the blast furnace to shield the feelings of oversensitive fans of those teams, then about 98% of all threads would wind up in there. Personally, I'm not a member of any other teams' message board due to my genuine lack of interest in joining a non-Steelers board but I'm fairly certain there are a few non-Steelers boards out there where they talk from time to time about the Steelers outside of their "smack" subforum, and chances are I wouldn't like what was said. However, that doesn't compel me to join other teams' boards and launch into lengthy diatribes in a misguided attempt to teach "smack etiquette" and where they should be making posts on THEIR boards, nor do I feel I have any special right to do so. Question is, why do you?

MACH1
07-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Umm...The Seahawks only tradition is kinda like the bungals isn't it. All talk and no go.

One of my best friends is a seachicken fan and it never fails for him at some point to bring up XL and the refs. I'll tell you what I say to him, it wasn't my team that gave up the longest run in sb history and no the refs didn't get in your way.

FordsnSteelers
07-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Umm...The Seahawks only tradition is kinda like the bungals isn't it. All talk and no go.

One of my best friends is a seachicken fan and it never fails for him at some point to bring up XL and the refs. I'll tell you what I say to him, it wasn't my team that gave up the longest run in sb history and no the refs didn't get in your way.

omg!! ha ha! SB XL was great. That 75 yard run made my year. Esp on their overated defense.

millwalldavey
07-12-2008, 09:05 AM
When Randal-El turned that corner I knew a TD wsa coming! The ball didnt leave his had yet and we all stood up signalling TD!

Ben's TD was my favorite though!

rbryan
07-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I suppose my comments about the great northwest were unprovoked in this thread. I must admit I have grown tired of the Seahawk diatribe. But don't worry about me HB, I have no problem enjoying the SB win, regardless of how many crybabies I have to endure. Don't take it personally, it wasn't directed at you. You seem to be a decent guy, although I'm not sure why you would want to come here to begin with.

Tankus_Maximus
07-12-2008, 10:01 AM
So uhm yeah, the Jags to L.A....that'd be great!!

Los Angeles Gatos

sounds great

fansince'76
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
So uhm yeah, the Jags to L.A....that'd be great!!

Los Angeles Gatos

sounds great

Chances are they'd be playing in front of a half-empty stadium there more often than not as well, but hey, it's a much bigger market.

Tankus_Maximus
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Chances are they'd be playing in front of a half-empty stadium there more often than not as well, but hey, it's a much bigger market.

true....but they'd probably sell the joint out when the Steelers came to town!! :tt02:

KeiselPower99
07-13-2008, 04:32 PM
From one half hearted football town to another.

Galax Steeler
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
If Jacksonville goes west why not pull New Orleans into that division they are close enough to take there place.

Glace
07-19-2008, 07:20 AM
I think it'd be terrible to be a Jaguar's fan. They can't sell out seats in the stadium so they black out games on TV....AWESOME!! :mad:

This one was just a matter of time. They're dead set on a team in LA again, and as far as investments the Jaguars are easily doing the worst. It's a shame because they have so much talent and so many reasons for their fans to be excited.

Atlanta Dan
07-19-2008, 08:25 AM
From one half hearted football town to another.

Oh it's a full hearted football town - but being less than an hour south of the Georgia border in SEC country Jax's heart is with the Gators, Seminoles, and, to a lesser extent, the Dawgs

warddj86
07-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Jags, Chargers, Raiders, and Broncos in the same divisions, that's one hell of a division

Elvis
07-20-2008, 06:25 AM
But where were you gonna stick Indy at that time?

They wanted to keep the Steelers-Browns-Bengals-Ravens rivalries in tact when they realigned so Indy really had nowhere to go but the AFC South.
How about this division lineup?

Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers
...hmmmm

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 10:19 AM
So if we realigned the AFC, it would look like:
Jets-Ravens-Cheatriots-Buffalo (AFC East) (Nevermores replacing Miami)
Browns-Steelers-Bengals-Indy (AFC North) (Colts replacing Nevermores)
Jaguars-Titans-Dolphins-Houston (AFC South) (Dolphins replacing Colts)
Chargers-Raiders-Broncos-Chiefs (AFC West)

CantStop85
07-20-2008, 11:25 AM
So if we realigned the AFC, it would look like:
Jets-Ravens-Cheatriots-Buffalo (AFC East) (Nevermores replacing Miami)
Browns-Steelers-Bengals-Indy (AFC North) (Colts replacing Nevermores)
Jaguars-Titans-Dolphins-Houston (AFC South) (Dolphins replacing Colts)
Chargers-Raiders-Broncos-Chiefs (AFC West)

Wow, that is a miserable AFC South. The Jaguars would dominate that division.

And the AFC North would just get that much tougher. You suddenly have 4 of the top offenses in the same division...not to mention a couple of good defenses.

KeiselPower99
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I always thought the Colts should be in our division but looking at it that way Im scared but wanting the challenge