PDA

View Full Version : Gary Russell at RB

brsteelers
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Below is an article on Gary Russell. What do you all believe his chances of playing significant minutes are this season?

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/steelers/11942

Texasteel
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Below is an article on Gary Russell. What do you all believe his chances of playing significant minutes are this season?

I think his chances are very slim unless someone ahead of him gets hurt.
Gary will probably need a couple of these :hug: before the years over. I just hope he keeps working hard and waits for his chance.

BlastFurnace
07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I think Gary has potential, but if Mendenhall is everything we have heard he is, it will be awhile before he sniffs the field. He's got me curious, but not enough to take away playing time from FWP or Mendenhall.

The Duke
07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
one thing's certain, I feel a lot better about potential running back injuries this year.

gary has potential, and I hope they play him to run out the clock a lot this season

after teams watch what he can do we may get a good offer for him

slashsteel
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
It all depends on what he shows in preseason.

Steeldude
07-10-2008, 08:01 PM
should have drafted a position other than RB in the first round.

Boomerang
07-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I think he will get limited playing time unless injuries come into force but is handy to have as a back up.

43Hitman
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
should have drafted a position other than RB in the first round.

I don't think there was better value at that pick unless you trade down. But for who? And who are you gonna trade with?

Galax Steeler
07-11-2008, 05:02 AM
I don't think russell will see alot of playing time but he could be used for trade bait on down the road.

atlsteelers
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Russell adds nice depth at the position. with a year under his belt he may get some playing time. Or he may stay on the inactive list. Depends on the numbers.

Lord Stiller
07-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Everyone here is vastly overrating Russell. Seems the Steelers also aren't as high on him as people here are:

Steelers interested in running back Kevin Jones 7/10/08

Running back Kevin Jones was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a visit with the Steelers. The Steelers have been keeping tabs on Jones for the past four weeks and profootballtalk is reporting the Steelers attended one of his private workouts last month. The Steelers are not sure that Willie Parker is 100% but the main reason behind looking at Jones is Mike Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs. Parker #1 back, Moore 3rd down back, Mendenhall short yardage back, Jones? If Jones does sign with Pittsburgh he will be in the same boat that Kevin Barlow was last summer. He must prove himself in training camp.

DACEB
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Everyone here is vastly overrating Russell. Seems the Steelers also aren't as high on him as people here are:

Steelers interested in running back Kevin Jones 7/10/08

Running back Kevin Jones was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a visit with the Steelers. The Steelers have been keeping tabs on Jones for the past four weeks and profootballtalk is reporting the Steelers attended one of his private workouts last month. The Steelers are not sure that Willie Parker is 100% but the main reason behind looking at Jones is Mike Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs. Parker #1 back, Moore 3rd down back, Mendenhall short yardage back, Jones? If Jones does sign with Pittsburgh he will be in the same boat that Kevin Barlow was last summer. He must prove himself in training camp.

I don't think anyone is vastly overrating our #4 RB. I think people realize the potential he has, the position he's in as the #4 RB, and are pleased that we have depth and he has time to develop. John Kuhn was vastly overrated, Russell is a promising #4 RB.

Who knows, maybe Tomlin just covers all the bases. It doesn't hurt to take a look and compare what you have to what's on the market. Just because the team is evaluating other talent doesn't mean their not high on Russell.

Still, there was another reason why Pittsburgh decided to drop Davenport, who rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns for the club over the course of two seasons.

That reason? Second-year running back Gary Russell, whom the Steelers didn't want to part with. Russell has a lack of experience, having garnered just 21 yards on seven carries during his pro career, but the Steelers were impressed during the 2007 preseason with two things: First, Russell's power; secondly, his willingness to learn. Moreover, they liked the way he finished runs, finished blocks, and generally improved during the course of last season.

I find it hard to believe they would give up on this kid, who is only 21 and comes extremely cheap, for a guy that will be more expensive and just came off surgery.

CanadianSteel
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Hoping Russel hangs around to see what he can do..... Plus our special tems needs players specifically Kick covereage ...... hoping he can help out here while improving skills at RB.

Lord Stiller
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM

wow. that quote was worthless

thanks for nothing

DACEB
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
wow. that quote was worthless

thanks for nothing

Hey, no problem, anytime.

I provided you with linked information about the subject at hand. I'm sorry if it contradicted your 'holier than thou' opinion. Forgive me LORD.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Parker is in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal, which is pretty cheap.
Mendenhall should actually be going into his Sr. year at Illinois and is seen as the future.
MeMo is the 3rd down back who can return kicks.
Jones is a guy that was an alternate to the Pro Bowl in 2005 that has injuries and may come cheap because of his rehab.
Russell hasnt proven anything, but is improving.

If you asked me who would I take, Gary Russell or Kevin Jones.....its Jones for sure. Just not sure I want to commit much cap space to him, but Parker, Mendenhall, Jones battling for playing time in 2010 might be interesting to see.

19ward86
07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
If any of you guys have seen his stats in college before getting the boot you would know how great he can be. Either his frosh or sophmore season was a 1000 yd backup season with 17 TDs, that is crazy for a backup. And the starter was Laurence Maroney.

The Duke
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
John Kuhn was vastly overrated,

:jawdrop:

you're dead to me!!

:chuckle:

DACEB
07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
If you asked me who would I take, Gary Russell or Kevin Jones.....its Jones for sure. Just not sure I want to commit much cap space to him, but Parker, Mendenhall, Jones battling for playing time in 2010 might be interesting to see.

That's the point right there. It's not like we're in need of a starting RB. If the question is as simple as Russell or Jones, like you said, it's Jones the proven back. Looking at the current cap situation and the current backfield, it doesn't make sense at this time. Unless it's not Russell that they are looking at to upgrade.

In the end I believe this is the same diligence we saw during the draft, with the numerous LBs the team looked at. The same could be said for the attention the team gave Booger MacFarland. If you ask me, it's Tomlins incessant drive for improvement.

DACEB
07-11-2008, 01:33 PM
:jawdrop:

you're dead to me!!

:chuckle:

I was waiting for that, I actually ducked when I wrote it!:chuckle:

Lord Stiller
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I provided you with linked information about the subject at hand.

a link to some guy who wrote an internet blog? wow. wtf does that proove?

nada

BlastFurnace
07-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Given the choice between Jones and Russell, I choose Russell. Here are the reason’s why:

1.Jones is not healthy. He is coming off a torn ACL and before that, a pretty
serious foot injury. Every time a player has a torn ACL, it takes two full seasons
to be their former self…if that ever happens. Russell has worked his butt off,
added weight without losing speed, and is healthy.

2.Let’s say Jones signs for 2 years…where is he going to play? Is he better than
FWP or Mendenhall? From everything I have read about FWP, he is very close
to being back to normal and Jones wasn’t better than Parker when he was
healthy. Mendenhall, from all reports, is the stud in waiting and is the real deal.
Most of us wouldn’t be surprised if Mendenhall is starting by midseason.
Moore, is the ideal 3rd down back. From what Viking fans say, we are going to
love this guy and we got him at a bargain price. He does a lot of things very
well.

Where does Jones fit?

A. Will he sit the bench as the 4th stringer?
B. Will he play special teams if necessary?

I find either situation unrealistic. Russell, on the other hand, is only 21 and has
and will play special teams….thus filling a role that we need.

3. Personally, I think we have learned our lesson with signing injury prone
running backs (Duce) that already have a lot of tread on the tires. Jones has had two injuries
to his lower half. This is not a pulled hamstring guys. This is a torn ACL and a serious foot
injury.

We are basically talking about the 45th to 53rd roster spot here…where special teamer’s fill out the roster. I think the Steelers would be unwise to let Russell go in favor of signing Jones.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-11-2008, 06:32 PM
The Steelers are having a good look.

It kind of reminds me of when Kevan Barlow was in camp last year

slashsteel
07-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes the Steelers looked but he is still visiting Tampa, so I have my doubts that he will be signed by the Steelers. Didn't hurt to look though.

lilyoder6
07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
and i think jones would have noticed the crowded backfield the steelers have and knew he would have a touch mountain to climb 2 start

Steelman16
07-11-2008, 08:54 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Russell has done nothing to forfeit the #4 spot. And Kevin Jones has done nothing to earn it. It's all just talk.

Even IF the Steelers sign him, I don't think anything will change, except maybe Russell working his tail off just a little harder than before.

We just look at all the options. That doesn't mean anything will change.

Besides, who can actually read what is on Tomlin's mind anyway?

Texasteel
07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
and i think jones would have noticed the crowded backfield the steelers have and knew he would have a touch mountain to climb 2 start

I agree, the Steelers may be interested in Jones, but I don't think Jones would be very interested in the Steelers.

Elvis
07-12-2008, 01:04 AM
I have liked all that I have seen from Russell, but with the Steelers drafting Mendenhall means his career in Pittsburgh is pretty much finished as far as having a chance to play any meaningful time
:coffee:

Galax Steeler
07-12-2008, 04:51 AM
I agree, the Steelers may be interested in Jones, but I don't think Jones would be very interested in the Steelers.

The only reason I could see Jones becoming a pittsburgh steeler is if he wants to join a team that could take him to a super bowl and get him a ring.