PDA

View Full Version : Bush To G-8 - 'Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter'

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
You cannot make up s**t more ridiculous than what he says

George Bush surprised world leaders with a joke about his poor record on the environment as he left the G8 summit in Japan.

The American leader, who has been condemned throughout his presidency for failing to tackle climate change, ended a private meeting with the words: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

He then punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of those present including Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock....

Mr Bush also faced criticism at the summit after Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian Prime Minister, was described in the White House press pack given to journalists as one of the "most controversial leaders in the history of a country known for government corruption and vice".:

The White House apologised for what it called "sloppy work" and said an official had simply lifted the characterisation from the internet without reading it.:banging:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-%27Goodbye-from-the-world%27s-biggest-polluter%27.html

Either McCain or Obama will be an improvement over this fecklessness

Vis
07-10-2008, 03:31 PM
His legacy is secure

Preacher
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
You cannot make up s**t more ridiculous than what he says

George Bush surprised world leaders with a joke about his poor record on the environment as he left the G8 summit in Japan.

The American leader, who has been condemned throughout his presidency for failing to tackle climate change, ended a private meeting with the words: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

He then punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of those present including Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock....

Mr Bush also faced criticism at the summit after Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian Prime Minister, was described in the White House press pack given to journalists as one of the "most controversial leaders in the history of a country known for government corruption and vice".:

The White House apologised for what it called "sloppy work" and said an official had simply lifted the characterisation from the internet without reading it.:banging:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-%27Goodbye-from-the-world%27s-biggest-polluter%27.html

Either McCain or Obama will be an improvement over this fecklessness

You're right. Bush should be strung up for not putting that package together. After all, you simply can't trust the bureaucrats in the state department.

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
You're right. Bush should be strung up for not putting that package together. After all, you simply can't trust the bureaucrats in the state department.

Thanks for once again taking my post out of context

I am not blaming Bush for the press package on the Italian government- read the headline to the thread

Can you let anything criticizing him ever pass muster?

Vis
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM

He does set a tone of competence though, doesn't he?

Preacher
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for once again taking my post out of context

I am not blaming Bush for the press package on the Italian government- read the headline to the thread

Can you let anything criticizing him ever pass muster?

In the pettiness of this environment....

can anyone let anything good be said about him?

I just find the blinding negativity quite silly... so I point it out EVERYTIME I see it.

You have read my critiques of Bush before. So you know I don't support him per se.

But I also don't support the pettiness that has engulfed the press and the left about him.

CantStop85
07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_yyp9wCA0zwA/RtnOV6qTOJI/AAAAAAAAAUI/mZKBAuhTrV8/s320/lolwut[1].jpg
Bush is one of those guys who just doesn't understand when it's time to be serious and when it's time to joke. Pretending to not take the issue of pollution seriously at the G8 Summit in front of world leaders who already think you're either A) retarded or B) the spawn of the devil, is what I might call bad timing.

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I just find the blinding negativity quite silly... so I point it out EVERYTIME I see it.

In that case have you thought about changing your moniker from Preacher to Sisyphus?:chuckle:

fansince'76
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Actually, Bush was wrong about being the "world's biggest polluter." So my question is, when is somebody going to call China out about it?

China has overtaken the United States as the world's biggest producer of carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse gas, figures released today show.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/jun/19/china.usnews

Preacher
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
In that case have you thought about changing your moniker from Preacher to Sisyphus?:chuckle:

:rofl:

I don't like Red Bull!!

(and yes, I know the original Greek narrative as well!)

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Actually, Bush was wrong about being the "world's biggest polluter." So my question is, when is somebody going to call China out about it?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/jun/19/china.usnews

Obviously not the President if it interferes with being able to do stand up at the G-8
:noidea:

GBMelBlount
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I will not give bush good grades on diplomacy but if you have the largest economy in the world you're going to put out a little emission. It's simply a correlation. I would also hazard to guess we put out alot less emissions (as a percentage of GNP for an industrialized nation) than many other countries. And this "climate change" whooressheet is brought up again. Most of the other countries in this world are like a bunch of high school girls who are jealous of the homecoming queen.

Hawk Believer
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
China just took the lead in gross CO2 emmisions amongst nations. But they don't even rate in the top 30 if you look at on a per capita basis. Thats a pretty scary thing when you think about. If the average person in China consumed just half the amount of energy that that a person in the US did, the amount of emmisions would be staggering.

Its right ot be concerned about what is happening in China for sure. We (the US) could do something about it if we somehow demanded all the cheap crap we buy from China be produced in a more enviromentally friendly way. Problem is that the WTO and our free trade agreements won't allow our government to place any significant tarriffs or other trade restrictions to force China to clean up their act. The only way we could effectively do that would be for consumers to band together and not purchase stuff that is made in an environmentally detrimental fashion. Call me a cynic, but I think it will be a cold day in hell when enough people in the US are concerned about environmental issues in China enough to motivate them to refuse to buy the cheapest item they can find at Walmart.

millwalldavey
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
We need to take the lead on environmental issues and try to be an example to the rest of the world. If we're so hell bent on pushing our way of life on the world... we should try to do some positive things with that power.

GBMelBlount
07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
We need to take the lead on environmental issues and try to be an example to the rest of the world. If we're so hell bent on pushing our way of life on the world... we should try to do some positive things with that power.

How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues? And what exactly do you mean by us pushing our way of life on the world? Individual Freedom? Freedom from Tyranny? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues? And what exactly do you mean by us pushing our way of life on the world? Individual Freedom? Freedom from Tyranny? :noidea:

Have to agree that might be regarded as an overreaching arrogance of misperceived power, but it is not as if we have not heard it before:

"We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands." "Across the generations we have proclaimed the imperative of self government. . . . Now it is the urgent requirement of our nation's security, and the calling of our time." "It is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in the world."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110006184

Guess who?

millwalldavey
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM

My point is...If we are going to push things, instead of pushing a garbage consumer culture that only betters the rich of this nation, why dont we try to push things that benefit the world as a whole?

And we push our way of life everyday, by the power of the purse and the power of the gun.

j-dawg
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
How do you propose we take the lead on environmental issues?

Hey man, I think the United States should AT LEAST be equal with our allies when it comes to standards in environmental issues. California passed a law in 2002 that gave 7 years for Americas big three auto makers to subscribe to the same emmisions/MPG's all other auto makers have in effect TODAY and they file a big 'ol lawsuit. They could of used that money and time litigating on developing a car that would compete with the friggen Prius that's all over the place out here. I don't know, maybe develop a car the American people are demanding? Maybe even build it in this country, as opposed to Mexico (where my friends focus was built). Instead all we hear from the the big 3 is how an already achieved goal is impossible. When it comes to taking the lead, I really don't expect that from my government.. I'll be happy if they just keep up.

Hawk Believer
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Environmental issues in developing naations are a huge issue. I think there is no moral way we can tell other countries that they should not strive to develop their economies. But there is no way a developing nation can implement high end environmental standards and actually grow. Therein lies the dilema.

Some have propsed the the advanced nations should finance environmental safeguards in the developing ones. But I doubt the American electorate is going to go to for using tax money to put C02 scrubbers in Bengladesh.

fansince'76
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Some have propsed the the advanced nations should finance environmental safeguards in the developing ones. But I doubt the American electorate is going to go to for using tax money to put C02 scrubbers in Bengladesh.

Me too, especially when more and more of that electorate is being put out of work by the much cheaper labor in said developing countries.

augustashark
07-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I drive 2 suvs and always leave the water on when brushing my teeth! LOL

Nothing better then the ol environment thread.

I'm just pissed that my president did'nt do the worm before leaving!

tony hipchest
07-11-2008, 01:16 AM

China has overtaken the United States as the world's biggest producer of carbon dioxide, the chief greenhouse gas, figures released today show.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/jun/19/china.usnews;:stirthepot:

probably never, being that greenhouse gasses dont actually exist (let alone their effects). its just another invention by that hypocrite al gore to ensure he becomes a multi millionaire. :wink02:

i think he also invented the whole "cigarettes cause cancer" myth. :smoker:

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
;:stirthepot:

probably never, being that greenhouse gasses dont actually exist (let alone their effects). its just another invention by that hypocrite al gore to ensure he becomes a multi millionaire. :wink02:

Best thing that could have happened for our government. A few attorneys get rich on their altruistic crusade. The gov't has another excuse to tax the hell out of americans, and now smokers will be paying $9 a pack in NYC. Hey, I've got a great idea, let's put another attorney in the white house! :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
07-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Is this for real? I mean, if this really happened, I fully expect the left press to be all over this, and I mean ALL OVER THIS.

fansince'76
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
;:stirthepot:

Yep, no way Mr. Gore would ever greatly exaggerate the role greenhouse gases play in climate change to push an agenda or line his pockets with a cool $100 mil while collecting a Nobel Peace Prize (WTF?) for his efforts. Besides, it's probably only American CO2 emissions since January 20, 2001 that are bad anyway. That damn Bush.

And how dare those Kyoto-ratifying Brits take such a cavalier attitude (http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=3719791&page=1) toward Gore's 100% accurate and impartial scientifically peer-reviewed message! The mighty Al Gore has spoken! We're all gonna die! Heed the word, heathens! :yawn:

Vis
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Best thing that could have happened for our government. A few attorneys get rich on their altruistic crusade. The gov't has another excuse to tax the hell out of americans, and now smokers will be paying $9 a pack in NYC. Hey, I've got a great idea, let's put another attorney in the white house! :thumbsup:

So what do you do for a living?

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
So what do you do for a living?

I'm a sales rep for Marlboro.

Vis
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I wish I knew if that was true. But you know it would be easy to bash.

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 08:58 AM
LOL! J/K - I'm just an ordinary salesman who hates paying excessive taxes at gunpoint.

tony hipchest
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm a sales rep for Marlboro.receiving those coupons for 5 bucks off a carton on a monthly basis sure would be nice.... :thumbsup:

*hint hint*

helps relieve some of that tax burden, y'know?

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
receiving those coupons for 5 bucks off a carton on a monthly basis sure would be nice.... :thumbsup:

*hint hint*

If you live in PA, all you have to do is go across the state border to save $10 a carton!

HometownGal
07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
If you live in PA, all you have to do is go across the state border to save $10 a carton!

Yup - ciggys are much cheaper in WVA. Last time I was down there, cost me $32.00 for a carton. :thumbsup:

j-dawg
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
And how dare those Kyoto-ratifying Brits take such a cavalier attitude (http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=3719791&page=1) toward Gore's 100% accurate and impartial scientifically peer-reviewed message! The mighty Al Gore has spoken! We're all gonna die! Heed the word, heathens! :yawn:

High Court Judge Michael Burton said that the film is "substantially founded upon scientific research and fact" but that the errors were made in "the context of alarmism and exaggeration."

:noidea: I don't know, sounds like the judge is saying Gore twisted a few points to get people to use flourescent lightbulbs and ride their bikes a little more.

"No, you will not teach or show that propagandist Al Gore video to my child, blaming our nation -- the greatest nation ever to exist on this planet -- for global warming."

That's the trouble with some folks, I actually watched the film and never once heard Al Gore or anyone else "blame America" for global warming.

I still don't get all the venom over Al Gore and his film... it's not like he was at the UN presenting top secret, unsubstantiated information, causing alarmism and exaggeration, to sway a nation into war. He just wants folks to be more aware of the fact that the giant ring of grey and brown haze over our heads isn't good for us, and there's a few things we could do to reduce it.

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
High Court Judge Michael Burton said that the film is "substantially founded upon scientific research and fact" but that the errors were made in "the context of alarmism and exaggeration."

:noidea: I don't know, sounds like the judge is saying Gore twisted a few points to get people to use flourescent lightbulbs and ride their bikes a little more.

"No, you will not teach or show that propagandist Al Gore video to my child, blaming our nation -- the greatest nation ever to exist on this planet -- for global warming."

That's the trouble with some folks, I actually watched the film and never once heard Al Gore or anyone else "blame America" for global warming.

I still don't get all the venom over Al Gore and his film... it's not like he was at the UN presenting top secret, unsubstantiated information, causing alarmism and exaggeration, to sway a nation into war. He just wants folks to be more aware of the fact that the giant ring of grey and brown haze over our heads isn't good for us, and there's a few things we could do to reduce it.

Really? If Gore isn't "heavily invested" in his global warming scheme, why is he spending another 300 Million on PROMOTING it?

j-dawg
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Not sure why you put quotations around heavily invested... since you are replying to my post... that would mean I wrote that... which I didn't.

Also not sure why you're saying global warming is a "scheme". I mean, are you suggesting there's a sinister plot to rid the world of smog?

fansince'76
07-11-2008, 11:37 AM

I guess my biggest problem with Al Gore was his proclamation that the "science is settled" when it comes to global warming. Sorry, but no, it isn't. I have a hard time believing that one variable (greenhouse gases) trumps the literally hundreds of millions of other variables that are involved in making the world's climate what it is. And yes, there are literally hundreds of millions of variables that affect the Earth's climate - that's why these climatological models rely on supercomputers to generate them, and they STILL can't seem to get it right.

Another problem I have with Gore and his message are the alarmist and exaggerated points mentioned. I remember very vividly having the sh*t scared out of me as a young elementary school child back in the mid '70s by a filmstrip I saw in school. It warned that we were all going to basically starve to death by the turn of the century due to the famine that would occur after the United States' (along with every other nation in the northern hemisphere's) agriculture production was destroyed by the impending ice age (http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf). Obviously, that didn't come to pass. Well, now I'm being fed the notion that the Earth will become Waterworld by the time I'm old enough to collect Social Security. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice - not happening.

millwalldavey
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
The Green movement needs to find a better person to champion it than Al Gore. This is a guy who will never sway anyone to the side of green, based on either their dislike of him as a politician, or the fact that he does not practice what he preaches for the most part.

HE is a doule-edged sword. Attaching him to the movement insures media attention, but not many take it seriously becuase a majority of us see him as a buffoon.

GBMelBlount
07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I guess I am not complaining about your post jdawg. It's just that Gore is my least favorite person I can think of. I feel he has an agenda and is aggressively trying to deceive people.

millwalldavey
07-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I guess I am not complaining about your post jdawg. It's just that Gore is my least favorite person I can think of. I feel he has an agenda and is aggressively trying to deceive people.

I feel the same way about him.... I think he found a group he can manipulate, a group that is happy for whatever exposure it can get.

Godfather
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Not sure why you put quotations around heavily invested... since you are replying to my post... that would mean I wrote that... which I didn't.

Also not sure why you're saying global warming is a "scheme". I mean, are you suggesting there's a sinister plot to rid the world of smog?

There are some people who have a lot to gain financially from overstating the problem--GE for example has a lot of money in green energy production.

There are some peope (WAY out there) who claim that the whole thing is an intentional hoax to destroy capitalism, but those people have no more interest in facts than the extremists on the other side.

j-dawg
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm not drinking the doomsday kool-aid Gore is serving, I am, however, not discrediting the fact that carbon emmissions are bad for our environment. I live in Los Angeles so I don't need a movie to see what it's doing to the air out here. I really don't have a problem with an agenda that promotes conservation and new technologies. Seriously, I think we all can agree that smog is a bad thing and we all should work on ways to reduce it. Scare tatics aside, it's a problem that should be discussed and improved.

Godfather
07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
receiving those coupons for 5 bucks off a carton on a monthly basis sure would be nice.... :thumbsup:

*hint hint*

Move to Mississippi. Lowest ciggie tax in the nation.

Of course, income taxes are exorbitant, you pay sales taxes on groceries, and our numbnuts governor wants to enact a friggin bed tax on hospitals :banging:

Hammer Of The GODS
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
1st of all. If bush did that stuff, I say kudos! It's funny! He is not the devil and he isn't any worse than any other politician. They ALL suck!

2nd. I said it in another thread Bill Clinton is a piece of shit! that being the case, Al Gore is the VILE STENCH THAT RISES FROM SHIT!

3RD. I am willing to guess that the people who bitch about environmental issues the most don't ride bicycles to get to work and I'm pretty sure thier roofs aren't filled with solar panels! People who live in glass houses...............

j-dawg
07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I am willing to guess that the people who bitch about environmental issues the most don't ride bicycles to get to work and I'm pretty sure thier roofs aren't filled with solar panels! People who live in glass houses...............

That's a good point, but don't you think it actually addresses the issue. Regular folks should be able to drive affordable cars to work, that don't belch out as much carbon emmissions. There's a demand that's not being met. New technologies could achieve that.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
That's a good point, but don't you think it actually addresses the issue. Regular folks should be able to drive affordable cars to work, that don't belch out as much carbon emmissions. There's a demand that's not being met. New technologies could achieve that.

Blame that shit on the douchebag politicians who line thier pockets with unseen funds from the oil companies!

KeiselPower99
07-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Global warming is a myth. Its been proven. Next story.

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Global warming is a myth. Its been proven. Next story.

Now THAT is funny!

Global Warming has NOT been proven to be a myth. That would be saying that global warming/cooling trends are mythical, and they clearly aren't, or there never would have been an Ice Age.

What's in question here is exactly what role humans have to play in the warming and cooling trends. I like j dawgs take: Global warming aside, it's just not good for us to indiscriminately pour nasty shit into our environment. But it's equally stupid to try and reverse everything on the drop of a dime at a cost of trillions and trillions of dollars. There needs to be strategic planning to clean up our act over the long run without doing stupid things that kill industry and ultimately the economy, and I mean the whole World economy.