PDA

View Full Version : Steelers considering Kevin Jones

GBMelBlount
07-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Former Lions running back Kevin Jones visits Steelers

By James Pete | July 11th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The Pittsburgh Steelers received a visit Wednesday from former Detroit Lionsí running back, Kevin Jones. The visit was a follow-up after the Steelers had sent college scouting director Ron Hughes to a Jones workout in Saline, Michigan in late June.

Jones is attempting to recover from knee surgery to repair an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

Itís unknown where Jones would fit on this team after they picking up running backs Rashard Mendenhall via draft, and Mewelde Moore via free agency, both to back up starter Willie Parker. Itís unquestioned that Jones, a former 1,000 yard rusher, is talented when healthy. Still, the Steelers seem set at running back.

Speculation is that Kevin Jones may be set to sign an early contract so that he can take part in training camp. The Steelers are the only team to have met with the running back after his June workout. Jones is scheduled to meet with Tampa Bay next week. The Buccaneers were not one of the four teams at the workout, and also seem set at running back with Earnest Graham, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett and Warrick Dunn.

Jones probably wouldnít be ready by the beginning of the season, but it could be an interesting proposition for the Steelers to add Jones to their running back situation after the halfway point. Obviously, injuries canít be predictied, but Jones would provide the Steelers with a viable replacement should something serious happen to any of the other Steelersí running backs.

Gary Russell, assumed to be the fourth-string running back on the team, would be the odd-man out. Russell, who was good enough to share time with Lawrence Maroney in Minnesota, is believed to have starting talent. Unfortunately, it doesnít appear as though heíll get an opportunity to see the field for the Steelers, even if Jones doesnít sign.

It seems unbelievable to me, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are seriously considering signing Jones. Itís not that I donít want him on the team, because I do. It just seems to be an unbelievable amount of riches for the Steelers at running back should he sign. With the Steelers being the only team to visit with Jones twice, it may just be a matter of time. The bonus is that Jones will had had at a bargain-basement price.

Look for Jones to visit with the Buccaneers next week, and make his decision soon thereafter. He could be within the Steelersí fold before players report on July 27th.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/11/former-lions-running-back-kevin-jones-visits-steelers/

Kaeg
07-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Wow. Mixed feelings here. Pretty much for the stated reasons. I wouldn't mind having him, but we do seem set at RB. Maybe we'd be better off shoring up some other more needed position if we have some kind of $ left?

43Hitman
07-12-2008, 07:30 AM
This is really weird. It almost seems like Tomlin is over reacting to the injury of Willie Parker last year. Obivously I am not the GM, but I think this is a waste of time, they should be looking for depth along the offensive and defensive lines.

FordsnSteelers
07-12-2008, 07:30 AM
ok i like jones but come on, wille and mendenhall is it. and i really wanna see what gary russell can do. i dont care for moore so what the hell, cut moore sign Jones!

Michael Keller
07-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe one of these guys are going to beef up and play offensive line. Nothing like inside information because I do not understand this at all.

rbryan
07-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Or maybe WP's injury isn't coming along as expected. Russell hasn't shown that much since he's been here. IMO a healthy Jones with a new lease on life by getting out of Detroit and coming here could be pretty special.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
IF we sign Jones...it may point towards us offering up Parker next year before the draft in exchange for a 1st round pick (and then some)....I would still feel very comfortable with a backfield of Mendenhall/Jones/Moore at the beginning of next season.
If thats the case...look for Tomlin to showcase Parkers talent like a trick pony in order to draw interest in him. Then next year we may be looking at two first round and possible two third round picks....5 picks in the first three rounds would go a long way in strengthening our D-line..O-line..and secondary depth!!!

19ward86
07-12-2008, 09:13 AM
He is a starter, not a thrid string guy. Waste of money to take on him.

slashsteel
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Doesn't hurt to look, I am sure thats all it was. A good team never stops looking to upgrade..........

lilyoder6
07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
it will be interesting to see what will happen. i see the trade talks happening and an addition 1st and 3rd could help "reload" the lines.. and he would be cheap

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
He is a starter, not a third string guy. Waste of money to take on him.

In 4 years he has 4085 yards from scrimmage with 27 TD's.

Thats over 1,000 yards per year...almost 7 TD's...and a 4.0 ypc average.....in 2006 he had 61 catches out of the backfield!

An argument can be made about his injuries...but he is obviously more than a waste of money as a third string back.

Texasteel
07-12-2008, 12:11 PM
IF we sign Jones...it may point towards us offering up Parker next year before the draft in exchange for a 1st round pick (and then some)....I would still feel very comfortable with a backfield of Mendenhall/Jones/Moore at the beginning of next season.
If thats the case...look for Tomlin to showcase Parkers talent like a trick pony in order to draw interest in him. Then next year we may be looking at two first round and possible two third round picks....5 picks in the first three rounds would go a long way in strengthening our D-line..O-line..and secondary depth!!!

Never really thought about trading Parker, but that would make sense. Parker would most likly be more attractive than any of the kids coming out, exept maybe for Wells.
Your right next years draft could be a very interesting day for us.

slashsteel
07-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I am not up for any trades regarding Willie. He has brought too much to this team to trade him plus we know thats not the Steelers way anyways.............

rbryan
07-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I say we keep WP, Mendenhall, Jones, move Moore to a KR/ST spot and get John Kuhn back in here !!!!!!!!

Mosca
07-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I love Parker, but if the team improves by trading him, well, I love the Steelers more.

What about trading Parker BEFORE the 2008 season starts? Would you go into 2008 with Mendenhall, Moore, Jones, Russell, a #1 pick, and all of Parker's contract money freed up? I would.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Although I respect the trade Willie talk, I don't see that as the reason for looking at Jones. I mean in order for any WP trade to make sense Mendenhall needs to then be "the guy". As good as he looked in college and forgeting his potential, we just don't know if he can be the guy. That being said, I gotta believe there is some other reasoning behind all this Jones stuff. The FO is too smart to make such a big gamble because WP is a proven back in this league!

I gotta go with slashsteel, it doesn't hurt to look. A good team never stops looking to upgrade..........

lilyoder6
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
well u can't cut him b4 the season since u have to see if jones is back into playing on sundays and getting hit consistently.. he could be back to 100% health but has yet to play a game since injury

Galax Steeler
07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
well u can't cut him b4 the season since u have to see if jones is back into playing on sundays and getting hit consistently.. he could be back to 100% health but has yet to play a game since injury

Why would we cut him before season.:noidea:

GBMelBlount
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I love Parker, but if the team improves by trading him, well, I love the Steelers more.

What about trading Parker BEFORE the 2008 season starts? Would you go into 2008 with Mendenhall, Moore, Jones, Russell, a #1 pick, and all of Parker's contract money freed up? I would.

I agree. He's usually not even in the top 25 in yards per carry and his short runs often leave us 3rd and long. I realize he occasionally breaks the big ones, and defenses have to plan for that to some degree of course, but with all of the other options it appears we have, and an extra #1 and cap space, it is worth strong consideration imo.

tony hipchest
07-12-2008, 07:38 PM
when you look at success teams last year (TB, GB, NYG) had with relative unknowns bryant, grant, bradshaw, and the fact that teams wouldnt even trad a 3rd rounder for the likes of e. james, s. alexander about 2 years ago, im betting nobody would even think of giving up a 1st round pick for w. parker.

kevin jones would be a nice security blanket move and would probably allow him to rest his knee up for another year and slowly get back into the swing of things.

tomlin has faced him with the vikings and colbert and steeler scouts looked at him pretty good coming out of college. looking at him is just doing due diligence.

lilyoder6
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
u know what i meant.. i was just typing to fast.. either way u can't get rid of him b4 the season starts w/o knowing if jones can play in a live game

Mosca
07-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I agree. He's usually not even in the top 25 in yards per carry and his short runs often leave us 3rd and long. I realize he occasionally breaks the big ones, and defenses have to plan for that to some degree of course, but with all of the other options it appears we have, and an extra #1 and cap space, it is worth strong consideration imo.

Exactly. We've evolved into a "big play" team, but the big play is set up by the threat of being ground to death. We need to be able to make defenses cheat forward and guess our intent. Last year teams could take the chance of stopping FWP at the line with their basic guys; they didn't need to bring up corners and safeties to stop him, and he isn't a receiving threat out of the backfield, and he isn't much of a blocking/protecting back, either. What he is is, he's fast as hell.

I love FWP and a 75 yard run as much as the next guy. I've defended him as much as anyone here. But look at what I proposed, and tell me that you don't think it makes sense. Mendenhall fell into our laps... and now he gives us a personnel problem that 31 other teams would just love to have. can we AFFORD both RM and FWP? Yep. Do we want to have to, do we want all that much $$ tied up in the RB position? Uh, I don't know. But I bet some guys are thinking about that right now.

IF FWP wasn't coming off the broken leg, this would be close to a decided issue, IMO. He's great, but no way is he going to give us what RM could. The team needs to make sure that RM is going to be for real, that he is going to do the work necessary. Once that's decided, FWP is history.

fansince'76
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
....in order for any WP trade to make sense Mendenhall needs to then be "the guy". As good as he looked in college and forgeting his potential, we just don't know if he can be the guy.....WP is a proven back in this league!

Agreed. We need to see what Mendenhall can do first. Hell, we need to get him signed and into camp on time above all else at this point.

Preacher
07-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Agreed. We need to see what Mendenhall can do first. Hell, we need to get him signed and into camp on time above all else at this point.

Exactly.

Then we have to prove we have a viable number 2 back...

Then we also have to see if the issues last year were line related or RB related.

To make a trade this year is WAY to premature IMO.

Steeldude
07-13-2008, 05:04 AM
what would be the point of signing jones? he has shown to be an average RB in the NFL.

Galax Steeler
07-13-2008, 06:19 AM
u know what i meant.. i was just typing to fast.. either way u can't get rid of him b4 the season starts w/o knowing if jones can play in a live game

I know what you meant I was just be a little sarcastic.:drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM
when you look at success teams last year (TB, GB, NYG) had with relative unknowns bryant, grant, bradshaw, and the fact that teams wouldnt even trad a 3rd rounder for the likes of e. james, s. alexander about 2 years ago, im betting nobody would even think of giving up a 1st round pick for w. parker.

kevin jones would be a nice security blanket move and would probably allow him to rest his knee up for another year and slowly get back into the swing of things.

tomlin has faced him with the vikings and colbert and steeler scouts looked at him pretty good coming out of college. looking at him is just doing due diligence.

I dont know Tony.....With James and Alexander you are looking at players at the end of their careers...With Parker, you have a player that is in his prime and led the league in yardage until hurt.

I'm not saying that we WILL trade Parker...just throwing out the possiblity that with a 1st round RB...and a solid third down back in Moore who could rest the starter....We at least have an option...and could get value for Willie.

slashsteel
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Guy has a SB record run and has been nothing but productive for us. I don't get the people who would even be willing to see a trade for FWP. A better team without him? Did you see our running game after Willie went down?

He is a threat to go the distance and has improved his game year after year.

Mendenhall was brought in to complement Willie not take over for him.

Kevin Jones will not be signed and Willie will not be traded.

I know it is slow but even talk involving trading Fast Willie annoys me...........

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Guy has a SB record run and has been nothing but productive for us. I don't get the people who would even be willing to see a trade for FWP. A better team without him? Did you see our running game after Willie went down?

I know it is slow but even talk involving trading Fast Willie annoys me...........

I understand what your saying...and you are right that odds on bet is that we hold on to both....but I would say that rarely does someone draft a first round back to be the compliment to another back.
If Mendenhall proves to be a first round talent...he is the future of the Steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Anybody think this whole "looking at Kevin Jones" thing is just pressure on Mendenhall to sign and get into camp?

:tap:

GBMelBlount
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM

You're probably right slash. Just killing time here. I'd be quite surprised if the steelers even entertain something like this, but I still enjoy the banter.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
This is really weird. It almost seems like Tomlin is over reacting to the injury of Willie Parker last year. Obivously I am not the GM, but I think this is a waste of time, they should be looking for depth along the offensive and defensive lines.

Possibly. I think it's more of a reaction to the vacancy rate of the o-line depth chart. It resembles the New Orleans vacancy rate the day after Katrina.

If Willie goes Barbaro on us then we'll need a full stable to finish the race. But buying broken horses isn't in the tradition of Art Rooney I.

They did look for lineman. But with other NFL teams willing to pay prime prices for sub-prime players they did what many Americans didn't do - don't take on the debt for over-inflated assets. The rebuild of our line will take us past the 2010 season. We just have to deal with it.

ShutDown24
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM

As much as I love Willie, that actually make A LOT of sense. Sounds like a good plan to me.

slashsteel
07-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Keep in mind in three years only two backs have rushed for over 1200 yards each year. LT is one of the backs Willie is the other.

In this league you need two productive backs. Sure Mendenhall might be the future, but not the near future.

For me trading Willie would be like saying lets trade Hines or Ben or Heath Miller. You don't trade key elements of your O. You build on them...................

Galax Steeler
07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
:tap:

Nope

lilyoder6
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
i would like to see if any other teams rly have any interest in him.. the bucs are just like us w/ a crowded backfield so y would they be looking??

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-13-2008, 05:46 PM
my only reasoning here is that they do not believe they will be able to resign willie parker.. when that time comes??????

Galax Steeler
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
i would like to see if any other teams rly have any interest in him.. the bucs are just like us w/ a crowded backfield so y would they be looking??

I don't think it would hurt to sign him if we could get him a pretty reasonable price he could play special teams and if we have a injury he could fill in nicely what would it hurt.

The_WARDen
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
If they were to bring Jones on board, I read it as Parker is not ready to go...

Lord Stiller
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
wait, did someone suggest trading Parker?

LMFAO, thats not gonna happen :toofunny:

St33lersguy
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

That is exactly the way I feel, couldn't agree anymore. Isn't he also injury prone anyway.

DACEB
07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
If they were to bring Jones on board, I read it as Parker is not ready to go...

According to the article, Jones probably won't be ready for the opener, so neither would be ready to go if that were the case. Headscratcher for sure.

Jones probably wouldn’t be ready by the beginning of the season, but it could be an interesting proposition for the Steelers to add Jones to their running back situation after the halfway point.

I don't see this signing happening, but that's just me.

St33lersguy
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I guess a 4th or 5th string RB that will never play unless multiple RBs get injured will help you to win a championship no matter if your OL is no better than a high school offensive line or your one injured Defensive Lineman away from giving up 100 yards rushing a game. That's the message I'm getting out of this, that or the Steelers are not using any common sense.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Lord Stiller
wait, did someone suggest trading Parker?

LMFAO, thats not gonna happen

I know it sounds funny, but what if he proves to be the workhorse we need this year. Here is what pro football outsider had to say in May:

Rashard Mendenhall is Pittsburgh’s answer to the inconsistency of their running game. In Willie Parker and Najeh Davenport, the Steelers had two good change-of-pace backs but no reliable workhorse — and attempts to use Parker in that role last year were far from successful. Mendenhall, compared to Edgerrin James by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, can help with that. In turn, that will help with pass protection, by keeping Pittsburgh out of the sort of third-and-long situations where opposing defensive ends can pin their ears back and go to town on Roethlisberger.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/05/30/ramblings/four-downs/6307/

The point is, if Mendenhall delivers, which is a big if, isn't it possible they'd consider trading FWP in light of the draft compensation & cap space?

xfl2001fan
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
If Mendenhall proves to be the workhorse? In one season? That's like saying Joe Thomas is the answer to Cleveland's prayers as a mainstay on our line. He needs to do it consistently, season in and season out.

Should Mendenhall work out for you guys and learn pass protection (not something most Rookie HBs are good at) then you consider trade offers. However, if Mendenhall does become the #1 this season, teams are going to wonder just how good FWP is. They'll remember him not finishing last season and not keeping his starting status. That won't help his trade value.

Then there's the secondary issue of having a solid-backup. You guys haven't really had one since FWP was the "other guy" to Jerome Bettis (or vice versa). It's rare for a team to have success in the NFL without some solid-depth at the...injury-prone positions.

fansince'76
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
If Mendenhall proves to be the workhorse? In one season? That's like saying Joe Thomas is the answer to Cleveland's prayers as a mainstay on our line. He needs to do it consistently, season in and season out.

Should Mendenhall work out for you guys and learn pass protection (not something most Rookie HBs are good at) then you consider trade offers. However, if Mendenhall does become the #1 this season, teams are going to wonder just how good FWP is. They'll remember him not finishing last season and not keeping his starting status. That won't help his trade value.

Then there's the secondary issue of having a solid-backup. You guys haven't really had one since FWP was the "other guy" to Jerome Bettis (or vice versa). It's rare for a team to have success in the NFL without some solid-depth at the...injury-prone positions.

My sentiments exactly. :drink: You sure you're a Browns fan?

paw-n-maul-u
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I know it sounds funny, but what if he proves to be the workhorse we need this year. Here is what pro football outsider had to say in May:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/05/30/ramblings/four-downs/6307/

The point is, if Mendenhall delivers, which is a big if, isn't it possible they'd consider trading FWP in light of the draft compensation & cap space?

Definitely draft compensation. #'s wise and cap space. That is a big if. But if we want to assume mendenhall will warrant his 1st round draft pick enough that FWP becomes expendable ...

-Willie parker will be 28 this november ... by the time an issue of trading him comes up, he will be over 30 (regardless of how you want to sugar coat that age i.e. but he has low miles not playing in college and getting light loads the first two years ... etc.

-By the time trading him comes up, the NFL will probably be big-time headline news regarding the cba and blah blah, uncapped year problems, owners meetings, etc. so to project what could happen now is really hard.

-Willie parker is realllly cheap right now.

xfl2001fan
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
My sentiments exactly. :drink: You sure you're a Browns fan?

LOL I want to coach football one day, which means I have to take a very objective view to football. So while I don't like losing to the Steelers or seeing the rings on your hands, the football fan and coach wannabe in me says that if I was coaching the Steelers, what would I consider?

However, I wear the Orange and Brown proudly! I also have my homerisms when I look at my team (and will admit to them.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Jones To Steelers Or Bears Tuesday
Posted By Anwar S. Richardson at Jul 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Updated Jul 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Tampa Bay is officially out of the running for Detroit free agent running back Kevin Jones.

Jones will sign with either Pittsburgh or Chicago on Tuesday, according to agent Tony Fleming, who said that late Monday evening.

Previously, Fleming said five teams including Tampa Bay were interested in Jones, but despited a published report last week stating Jones was going to visit Tampa Bay this week, he said it was untrue.

It would have been hard for Jones to fit in at Tampa Bay because of its high number of running backs. The Bucs currently have Earnest Graham, Michael Bennett, Warrick Dunn, Kenneth Darby, rookie Cory Boyd, plus the possibility of Cadillac Williamsí return this season.

Jones is recovering from knee surgery he had five months ago and last month Miami, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Detroit reportedly sent representatives to watch him workout in Saline, Mich. Tampa Bay was not one of the teams in attendance.

Last year, Jones missed the first two games as he recovered from a foot injury that also sidelined him for the last three games of 2006. He ran for at least 70 yards in five games, including a season-high 105 against Chicago, before hurting his knee Dec. 23 against the Chiefs. He finished with 153 carries for 581 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games. A few months after the season, Detroit released him.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/jones-to-steelers-or-bears-tuesday/

DACEB
07-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Jones will sign with either Pittsburgh or Chicago on Tuesday, according to agent Tony Fleming, who said that late Monday evening.

Gee, let me think....if I were Jones, where would I go? Where would he have the best chance to start? Who really needs him more? I guess we'll all find out by Tues.

xfl2001fan
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM
If he wants to play, he'll go to Chicago. If he wants to contend, he'll go to Cleveland! LOL

(Yeah, I really couldn't help my self there, I'm just in that kind of mood right now.)

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
If he wants to play, he'll go to Chicago. If he wants to contend, he'll go to Cleveland! LOL

(Yeah, I really couldn't help my self there, I'm just in that kind of mood right now.)

LOL...If he wants to play he goes to Chicago...if he wants to contend he goes to Pittsburgh...if he wants to start..he goes to Cleveland!!!:flap:

(If he wants 3-5 years in the pokie.....he goes to Cincy)

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-15-2008, 08:49 AM
LOL I want to coach football one day, which means I have to take a very objective view to football. )

You dont have to take objective views to coach. Just be objective in the guys you coach and talent you select.

Seriously, if you want to coach, take any crummy coaching opportunity you can(coach WR's, special teams, anything anywhere. Attend as many coaching clinics you can, learn as much as you can and try to teach and prepare players rather than coach like you have seen coach.

I was guilty of mimicking a coaching style that I liked when being coached rather than being myself and understanding that all player react differently to dfferent styles. They all react similarly to learning.....then you just have to adapt to what motivates them(yelling at them like a drill sgt. or positively reinforcing them before hilighting what they are doing wrong.) Read a sport psych book or 2 as well.

Good luck, but not when the Steelers play the browns.

GBMelBlount
07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
El Gonzo Jackson
...then you just have to adapt to what motivates them(yelling at them like a drill sgt. or positively reinforcing them before hilighting what they are doing wrong

I couldn't agree with you more on this point.

xfl2001fan
07-15-2008, 09:02 AM
LOL...If he wants to play he goes to Chicago...if he wants to contend he goes to Pittsburgh...if he wants to start..he goes to Cleveland!!!:flap:

(If he wants 3-5 years in the pokie.....he goes to Cincy)

He wouldn't start at Cleveland unless J-Lew gets hurt. So :flap:

xfl2001fan
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
You dont have to take objective views to coach. Just be objective in the guys you coach and talent you select.

Seriously, if you want to coach, take any crummy coaching opportunity you can(coach WR's, special teams, anything anywhere. Attend as many coaching clinics you can, learn as much as you can and try to teach and prepare players rather than coach like you have seen coach.

I was guilty of mimicking a coaching style that I liked when being coached rather than being myself and understanding that all player react differently to dfferent styles. They all react similarly to learning.....then you just have to adapt to what motivates them(yelling at them like a drill sgt. or positively reinforcing them before hilighting what they are doing wrong.) Read a sport psych book or 2 as well.

Good luck, but not when the Steelers play the browns.

Yeah, I am looking for JH or HS coaching (ideally.) I need to retire from the military for a full-time gig though (I move too much.) I've done a lot of homework to this point. I've got several 3-inch binders chock full of information. Different styles off offenses, defenses, special teams plays. Passing trees, blocking drills, etc...

About 4 years ago, my younger brother wanted to try out for his HS football team. He'd never played organized sports in his life. After two months of working with him (before the two-a-days) he became the schools starting WR (as a sophomore) and a backup DE (pass-rush specialist). They would plug him in at TE occasionally too.

Of course, he then found that football players liked to party and he liked it too. Which pretty much ended his football career after that season. Still, I'm quite proud.

A buddy of mine coaches little league in WV and I'll occasionally make it down to watch a practice or a game. I help him watch game film (for his grade reports) so that he can help his lil Bruisers work on their techniques.

I have a plan, it's just one that's got to be secondary to my military career at this time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 09:21 AM
He wouldn't start at Cleveland unless J-Lew gets hurt. So :flap:

8 seasons...only played 16 games in 2 of them...:tap:..hmmmm....the only thing more sure than a Lewis injury is....Romeo Crennel asking a visor-clad teenager to "super-size" it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Jones in Chicago for physical, could be signed by Bears on Tuesday
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Chicago Bears may be close to signing a veteran running back to fill the hole left by the release of Cedric Benson.
Kevin Jones, the free agent running back who rushed for over 3,000 yards in four seasons with the Detroit Lions, will undergo a physical Tuesday in Chicago and could sign with the Bears by the end of the day, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
Jones rushed for 581 yards and eight touchdowns in 2007 but missed the last game of the season after suffering a serious knee injury against the Chiefs in Week 16.
His best season came in 2004 when he rushed for 1,133 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094f01f&template=without-video&confirm=true

BlastFurnace
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Jones in Chicago for physical, could be signed by Bears on Tuesday
NFL.com Wire Reports

The Chicago Bears may be close to signing a veteran running back to fill the hole left by the release of Cedric Benson.
Kevin Jones, the free agent running back who rushed for over 3,000 yards in four seasons with the Detroit Lions, will undergo a physical Tuesday in Chicago and could sign with the Bears by the end of the day, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
Jones rushed for 581 yards and eight touchdowns in 2007 but missed the last game of the season after suffering a serious knee injury against the Chiefs in Week 16.
His best season came in 2004 when he rushed for 1,133 yards.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094f01f&template=without-video&confirm=true

I hope this is true.

DACEB
07-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I hope this is true.

It would be nice to get back to reality!

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
The NFL Network is reporting that Kevin Jones has agreed to terms with the Chicago Bears.

(article posted in the NFL section of this site)

The_WARDen
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Yahoo Sports has reported that Jones has agreed to a 1-year deal with Da Bears.

Galax Steeler
07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Now everyone can quit sweating bullets and me to I just knowed we were going to sign him but deep down I am glad we didn't.

paw-n-maul-u
07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I wonder what willie parker is thinking ... like really WTF? We draft a first round RB, bring in a 3rd down back in the offseason, and then start sniffing around a 25 yr old previous 1000 yrd rushing coming off an injury when CLEARLY our backfield is crowded as is.

Maybe someone is doing some # crunching, and i mean people have always brought on this knock against FWP, but maybe getting tired of not getting enough push up the middle with him.

I mean honestly, marvel, simmons, kemo, they are all pretty much lineman that are meant for a 1 cut and go RB, not a burner like willie. We'll see.

Steelman16
07-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I wonder what willie parker is thinking ... like really WTF? We draft a first round RB, bring in a 3rd down back in the offseason, and then start sniffing around a 25 yr old previous 1000 yrd rushing coming off an injury when CLEARLY our backfield is crowded as is.

Maybe someone is doing some # crunching, and i mean people have always brought on this knock against FWP, but maybe getting tired of not getting enough push up the middle with him.

I mean honestly, marvel, simmons, kemo, they are all pretty much lineman that are meant for a 1 cut and go RB, not a burner like willie. We'll see.

It's the secret plan to enlarge the chip on Willie's shoulder and add some lighter fluid to the fire under his butt. :popcorn:

As far as someone being fed up with Willie...

Um, he's a speed back. They're not built or supposed to run up the middle. :dang: That's why we got Dookie, and since he didn't work out, Mendenhall. Willie has been nothing but productive for us. From Day 1 until his leg injury.

Linemen built for 1-cut-n-go. Yeah. Right. Who has Willie been running behind? How many yards has he amassed in his career already?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I am looking for JH or HS coaching (ideally.) I need to retire from the military for a full-time gig though (I move too much.) I've done a lot of homework to this point. I've got several 3-inch binders chock full of information. Different styles off offenses, defenses, special teams plays. Passing trees, blocking drills, etc...

About 4 years ago, my younger brother wanted to try out for his HS football team. He'd never played organized sports in his life. After two months of working with him (before the two-a-days) he became the schools starting WR (as a sophomore) and a backup DE (pass-rush specialist). They would plug him in at TE occasionally too.

Of course, he then found that football players liked to party and he liked it too. Which pretty much ended his football career after that season. Still, I'm quite proud.

A buddy of mine coaches little league in WV and I'll occasionally make it down to watch a practice or a game. I help him watch game film (for his grade reports) so that he can help his lil Bruisers work on their techniques.

I have a plan, it's just one that's got to be secondary to my military career at this time.

Make sure you put some theory to practice somewhere by volunteering for any HS or Pop Warner stuff you can find, its a great start. Also, goto www.afca.com (Amer.Football Coaches Assoc.) they have info about clinics and even papers from previous national conferences that coaches have written. I found a great one there on special teams structure from Arizona when Dennis Northcutt was leading the NCAA in return yards.

I know a career counsellor that once consulted an ex player who didnt know what to do with his life, but had a passion for football. They eventually came out with the realization that his love of teaching led him to be a HS business teacher and football coach. He gets to coach football every day after school and has summers off with his wife. Good luck.

Jones goes to Chicago, Willie is gonna have an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Bears | K. Jones could open season on PUP list
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:50:58 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears RB Kevin Jones (knee) might not be ready for the start of the team's training camp and could be a candidate to open the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#491878

Whew!!!:sweating:....last thing we needed was another grey sweatsuit clad player on the sideline!!!!

Steelers | Tomlin spoke with K. Jones for an hour
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:23:06 -0700

Vaughn McClure, of The Chicago Tribune, reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin spoke with Chicago Bears RB Kevin Jones (knee) for an hour about possibly joining the team. However, Jones felt the Bears presented a better opportunity because RB Matt Forte is unproven at the NFL level.

He signed a one year...$605,000 contract with the Bears....For, oh...lets say...$500,000...I could start their season on the sideline. Technically I am "physically unable to perform"...and could have saved them $105,000...C'mon Lovie, use your head!!

fansince'76
07-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Bears | K. Jones could open season on PUP list
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:50:58 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears RB Kevin Jones (knee) might not be ready for the start of the team's training camp and could be a candidate to open the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#491878

Whew!!!:sweating:....last thing we needed was another grey sweatsuit clad player on the sideline!!!!

He signed a one year...$605,000 contract with the Bears....For, oh...lets say...$500,000...I could start their season on the sideline. Technically I am "physically unable to perform"...and could have saved them $105,000...C'mon Lovie, use your head!!

Hell, I'd take $250 K, and I look good in grey. :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Make sure you put some theory to practice somewhere by volunteering for any HS or Pop Warner stuff you can find, its a great start. Also, goto www.afca.com (Amer.Football Coaches Assoc.) they have info about clinics and even papers from previous national conferences that coaches have written. I found a great one there on special teams structure from Arizona when Dennis Northcutt was leading the NCAA in return yards.

I know a career counsellor that once consulted an ex player who didnt know what to do with his life, but had a passion for football. They eventually came out with the realization that his love of teaching led him to be a HS business teacher and football coach. He gets to coach football every day after school and has summers off with his wife. Good luck.

Jones goes to Chicago, Willie is gonna have an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

Thanx for the info! Some of the stuff I have (I believe) came from AFCA links that some friends have sent me. I've been talking with a couple of guys who run Pop Warner teams in the Columbus area. This season (if I can) I'll try to latch onto a team (as a volunteer) just to learn the process better.

Because I assumed I'd have to start there, I've already downloaded several different playbooks (Double Wing, Single Wing, Rubicks Cube, etc...)

Unfortunately, due to my military status and the time I spend TDY (away from home) has prevented me from attending any coaching camps (to this point).

I'll certainly add that site to My Favorites.

xfl2001fan
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Hell, I'd take $250 K, and I look good in grey. :chuckle:

I'm with you bro! Pay me rookie Min Wage to ride the Pine!

St33lersguy
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Yahoo Sports has reported that Jones has agreed to a 1-year deal with Da Bears.

Good thing to, he was just gonna waste space as a Steeler.

benfan7
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
if the steelers do try the 3-back attack with parker, mendenhall, and jones, the guys will probably have a tough time accepting sharing the carries between the 3 of them...i mean Willie has earned his carries after last season's proformance, and mendenhall is a 1st round draft pick who will probably want his fair share of carries. so altogether, signing jones will be complicated and a waste of time.

benfan7
07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
good thing the bears picked him up!