PDA

View Full Version : Obama backers on the left are doing the wincing now

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Obama backers on the left are doing the wincing now
John Kass
July 13, 2008

When Jesse Jackson's Castrato-gate or the Barack Obama Nuts Controversy or whatever you want to call it erupted last week—as captured by the hot microphones of Fox News—terrible cries of pain went unnoticed.

Not from Obama, who, as presidential historians will tell us after his inauguration in January, was the great beneficiary of the rhetorical (and never actually attempted) Jacksonian castration, and no cries from Jackson, either.

Jackson's too busy to shriek. He's suffering the ambition of African-American politicos eager to replace him as America's race broker. And he's been hooted down in the style of pre-Revolutionary France, by white liberals who once feared him, though they no longer feel compelled to feign interest in Jackson's ridiculous rhymes.

The cries of pain came not from Obama or Jackson but from the American political left, from scribes and liberal editorial writers and broadcast analysts and eager bloggers. The true believers who evangelized that Obama would transcend politics as we knew it are suffering a Barackian hangover.

Greedily, they drained the kegs once full of sweet Obama Kool-Aid, drained them to the dregs and mopped up the remains with stale crusts. The inevitable happened—the pain that comes as everything finally becomes clear, in the rosy-fingered light of a terrible dawn.

Obama used them to crush the Clintons, but now the left is finally realizing it's been betrayed, on issue after issue, with Obama changing his positions in order to defeat a tired and disillusioned Republican Party in November.

They're at the dance now and he's the one with the keys and he's the only ride they've got. And they don't like it.

He has flip-flopped again and again, on campaign finance, on government eavesdropping of overseas phone calls, on gun control and even Iraq. Future President Obama now says he'll listen to his generals about when to withdraw. He didn't say he'd listen to the commissars of the blogosphere.

And his cheerleaders are beginning to realize that Obama may not be the Arthurian knight in shining armor, that he may not be Mr. Tumnus, the gentle forest faun of our presidential politics. Months after his inauguration, after he makes Billy Daley the secretary of the treasury and Michael Daley the secretary of zoning and promotes Patrick Fitzgerald to become the attorney general of Mars, the political left may figure out that Obama is a Chicago politician.

"Only an idiot would think or hope that a politician going through the crucible of a presidential campaign could hold fast to every position, steer clear of the stumbling blocks of nuance and never make a mistake," wrote Bob Herbert in The New York Times. "But Barack Obama went out of his way to create the impression that he was a new kind of political leader—more honest, less cynical and less relentlessly calculating than most. . . . Obama is not just tacking gently toward the center. He's lurching right when it suits him, and he's zigging with the kind of reckless abandon that's guaranteed to cause disillusion, if not whiplash."

This panic of the left—particularly among many political media types—is profoundly instructive to foreigners seeking to understand American character. The American media elite chose to portray Obama as some kind of knight in armor. They're analysts. Yet they were desperate to believe in a political fairy tale from Chicago. Somewhere in this desperate yearning is an answer.

Obama is not their fool. And he's not weak. He got down on one knee to the Chicago Democratic Machine and didn't make any waves and asked that it make him a U.S. senator. He lectured the Africans about political corruption and kept his mouth shut about corruption in Chicago, and the national press ignored the inconsistency and pampered and protected him. He waited and he's ready and now they're worried? Too late, boys and girls.

I don't mean to pick on Mr. Herbert, an elegant writer. His is but one of many voices, stunned on the side of the road, wondering what happened. I felt the same Kool-Aid hangover, and the same whiplash, but from the opposite direction years ago, when I was run down in the middle of a paragraph by a clown car driven by Karl Rove.

The Bush White House became the champion of big government, of big spending, of Jack Abramoff and of perjury under oath. The clowns boiled out of the car and I watched them go, taking the Republican Party with them, dragging it out into the desert, where they'd dug a big hole and stuffed it with Kool-Aid-addled conservatives.

So I have some sympathy for those on the left when it comes to Obama. They feel jilted, and the story was of a growing sense of betrayal, until Rev. Jackson whispered his desire to remove Obama's valuables.

Then the left joined in with the right, and with the viewers of Fox News in the front row—representing those Reagan Democrat votes Obama
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kasssun_bdjul13,0,2158455.column

Mosca
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Bwah-haw-haw!

He needs to remember, we HAVEN'T VOTED YET. I'm UNDECIDED. Would I rather have a left-leaning Conservative, or a right-leaning Liberal? I haven't figured it out yet!

Give It To Abercrombie
07-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Bwah-haw-haw!

He needs to remember, we HAVEN'T VOTED YET. I'm UNDECIDED. Would I rather have a left-leaning Conservative, or a right-leaning Liberal? I haven't figured it out yet!

If you honestly think Obama is a right leaning Liberal, than you are gravely mistaken. His voting record, in both Illinois and Washington, shows him as the most liberal Senator we have. The flip flopping he is now undertaking is to try to hide that fact.

The man who has voted in the past to ban all semi-automatic weapons, ban all handguns, has told us (though many don't seem to listen) that he will allow the Bush tax cuts to expire effectively raising my taxes over $2100 per year (and I make less than $50k), and not stop there by raising taxes even higher, is not right-leaning in any way. He claims to be for the middle class. Than either I, who happen to be/have: in my 30's, married, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a house worth less than $200k, back in college to work on my second degree as I work 45-50 hours a week and get paid between $40-$50k, am not middle class or Obama is full of it. Hmm. Let me take a minute here...........yup, I'm middle class. Damn proud of it and he wants to rob me blind in order to give my money out through endless entitlement programs. It just isn't right.

Texasteel
07-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Bwah-haw-haw!

You may want to look at what Obama does, and has done, not what he is saying.

MACH1
07-12-2008, 01:27 PM
You may want to look at what Obama does, and has done, not what he is saying.

What exactly has he done? Besides floppin around like a fish.

Texasteel
07-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I would say flip flopping would do it for me. The only solid stand I've heard him take, is that he seem to think you can fix anything by raising the taxes on it.

He was happy to have his wife out speaking for him untill people started questioning what she was saying. Now, " my wife is off limits." I'm sorry, not when you are running for president she isn't.

It may not bother other folks, but it bothers me that there has been several people he has know for years, people that he has dicribed as mentors and people that have influence his life. And now, " I didn't know he held that position, I have never heard him say that", and my favorite, "this not the person I knew."
In my opinion, you can judge a person by their frends.

Mosca
07-12-2008, 02:58 PM
That's what I meant; that now he is leaning right.

The man should be who he is, and let the people decide. If the majority accepts him on who he has been, then so be it (just like they accepted Bush, Florida notwithstanding).

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I would say flip flopping would do it for me. The only solid stand I've heard him take, is that he seem to think you can fix anything by raising the taxes on it.

He was happy to have his wife out speaking for him untill people started questioning what she was saying. Now, " my wife is off limits." I'm sorry, not when you are running for president she isn't.

It may not bother other folks, but it bothers me that there has been several people he has know for years, people that he has dicribed as mentors and people that have influence his life. And now, " I didn't know he held that position, I have never heard him say that", and my favorite, "this not the person I knew."
In my opinion, you can judge a person by their frends.

I couldnt agree more with you on every point you just made!!!!

Seems obvious to us...but some wont let FACTS get in the way of a good knee-jerk reaction.

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Is he pandering? Of course. The far lefties, really super progressive weirdo's are jumping ship, but the core voters he's seeking have already started spinning...

http://www.cleveland.com/politics/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/ispol/1215952213134510.xml&coll=2

William Yardley
New York Times

Portland, Ore.- In the breathless weeks before the Oregon presidential primary in May, Martha Shade did what thousands of other people here did: She registered as a Democrat so she could vote for Sen. Barack Obama.

Now, however, after critics have accused Obama of shifting positions on issues like the war in Iraq, the Bush administration's program of wiretapping without warrants, gun control and the death penalty - all in what some view as a shameless play to a general-election audience - Shade says she plans to switch back to the Green Party.

"I'm disgusted with him," said Shade, an artist. "I can't even listen to him anymore. He had such an opportunity, but all this 'audacity of hope' stuff, it's blah, blah, blah. For all the independents he's going to gain, he's going to lose a lot of progressives."

Of course, that depends on how you define progressives.

As Shade herself noted, while alarm may be spreading among some Obama supporters, whether left-wing bloggers or purists holding Obama's feet to the fire on one issue or another, the reaction among others has been less than outrage.

For all the idealism and talk of transformation that Obama has brought to the Democratic Party - he managed to draw a crowd of more than 70,000 here in May - there is also a wide streak of pragmatism, even among many grass-roots activists, in a party long vexed by factionalism.

"We're frustrated by it, but we understand," said Mollie Ruskin, 22, who grew up in Baltimore and is spending the summer here as a fellow with Politicorps, a program run by the Bus Project, a local nonprofit that trains young people to campaign for progressive candidates. "He's doing it so he can get into office and do the things he believes in."

Still, others warned that Obama risked being viewed as someone who parses positions without taking a principled stand.

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Maybe this week's New Yorker cover will make Obama's disgruntled lefty supporters feel better.

This Drudge link caught my attention

'NEW YORKER' COVER SHOWS OBAMA IN TURBAN WITH GUN-TOTING MICHELLE...

The linked story is as follows:

Ya can't make it up

The New Yorker says it’s satire. It certainly will be candy for cable news..,

Senator Obama was asked, according to the diligent Maria Gavrilovic of CBS News:“The upcoming issue of the New Yorker, the July 21st issue, has a picture of you, depicting you and your wife on the cover. Have you seen it? If not, I can show it to you on my computer. It shows your wife Michelle with an Afro and an AK 47 and the two of you doing the fist bump with you in a sort of turban-type thing on top. I wondered if you’ve seen it or if you want to see it or if you have a response to it?”

Obama (shrugs incredulously): “I have no response to that.” [At least not for public consumption]

The magazine explains at the start of its news release previewing the issue: “On the cover of the July 21, 2008, issue of the The New Yorker, in ‘The Politics of Fear,’ artist Barry Blitt satirizes the use of scare tactics and misinformation in the Presidential election to derail Barack Obama’s campaign.”

I’m sure Senator Obama is oh-so appreciative for The New Yorker’s help.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/Ya_cant_make_it_up.html

Does someone know how to put the New Yorker cover image in a post - this is (searching for value neutral term here) certainly pushing the envelope. :jawdrop:

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 06:41 PM
http://images.politico.com/global/080713_nyorkercover.jpg

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
http://images.politico.com/global/080713_nyorkercover.jpg

Thanks - still almost 4 months to go - what next?

I can see the Osama Bin Laden portrait above the fireplace at chez Obama but what in the world is sticking out of the fireplace?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Bwah-haw-haw!

I know i dont want to vote for a guy who believes that economy is doing just fine and that we as americans are just whining.....

fansince'76
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I know i dont want to vote for a guy who believes that economy is doing just fine and that we as americans are just whining.....

Phil Gramm's comments are not representative of John McCain's views.

http://blogs.trb.com/news/local/longisland/politics/blog/2008/07/mccain_advisor_gramm_americans.html

Gee, that sounds so familiar. Oh, yeah....

On the other end, we've heard my former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation; that rightly offend white and black alike. I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/18/obama-race-speech-read-t_n_92077.html

One's just as bad as the other. :coffee:

tony hipchest
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM

I can see the Osama Bin Laden portrait above the fireplace at chez Obama but what in the world is sticking out of the fireplace?

:usa: :chuckle: :usa:

barak is waering some cute sandals (perhaps tree hugging Birkenstocks?). i wonder if he will kick them off in the oval office and freefoot it once elected?

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM

Yep - It's an American flag

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11718.html

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
What's interesting is that the opponents aren't hitting each other very hard, and probably won't. There are enough fringy weirdo groups like moveon.org to handle the slime attacks.

I'm hoping McCain and Obama keep their own ads fairly clean. They are both pretty affable and likable guys, so slinging mud looks bad and demeans both of them.

tony hipchest
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
What's interesting is that the opponents aren't hitting each other very hard, and probably won't. There are enough fringy weirdo groups like moveon.org to handle the slime attacks.

I'm hoping McCain and Obama keep their own ads fairly clean. They are both pretty affable and likable guys, so slinging mud looks bad and demeans both of them.totally agree and hope that isnt the case. as a registered democrat, i would feel ashamed if i saw some evil leftist media put a supposed satirical comic on their cover of mccain cracking the whip on negros or having martin luther king on a balcony lined up in the sights of his sniper rifle. (im not sure of mccains stance is on his state being the only one not to celebrate a national holiday)

im all for satire and a good laugh. i guess i even have a line i wont cross though.

(shhhh.... dont tell the bunglefans)

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 07:49 PM
McCain is all for the KKK...he's the grand poobah if his local chapter. moveon.org has the commercial in production right now, so it must be true.

X-Terminator
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
This is too funny.

Someone should maybe tell these "progressives" that no candidate will get elected President in this country by appealing to only 1/3 of the population. He or she has to appeal to independents and undecided voters, otherwise they don't have a snowball's chance in hell. Most people and voters in America are centrist, whether it's straight center or center-left or center-right. They can do this, and still be true to their party. I admit it's a fine line, but it can be done. Look at Reagan, for example. Bill Clinton managed to do it as well.

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
This is too funny.

Someone should maybe tell these "progressives" that no candidate will get elected President in this country by appealing to only 1/3 of the population. He or she has to appeal to independents and undecided voters, otherwise they don't have a snowball's chance in hell. Most people and voters in America are centrist, whether it's straight center or center-left or center-right. They can do this, and still be true to their party. I admit it's a fine line, but it can be done. Look at Reagan, for example. Bill Clinton managed to do it as well.

The problem is he can't have it both ways: Either he's going to be "hard change, bad medicine" or he's not. You can't sell snake oil to people with the promise that once they are paying customers you'll actually give them the "real" medicine they need.