PDA

View Full Version : My 10 Most Committed Opinions about Steelers History

BlastFurnace
07-12-2008, 03:42 PM
1. The 1976 Steelers Team was the franchise's best ever.
2. Mr. Steeler will always be Joe Greene.
3. Franco Harris is the greatest Steelers RB ever.
4. Neil O'Donnell is the most erroneously villified Steelers player I know of.
5. The 1994 Steelers team is the 2nd best team in the team's history that didn't go to the Super Bowl (behind 1976)...even better than 2004.
6. The 1996 Steelers Team would have gone to the Super Bowl with a good QB.
7. Hines Ward is the 2nd best Steelers receiver of all time and would have started over Swann had he played in the 70's. (Wouldn't you have liked to have seen him get a piece of Tatum or George Atkinson when they weren't looking)
8. Franco Harris caught the ball cleanly in the Immaculate Reception & the ball did not hit Frenchy Fuqua at all.
9. Eric Green was the biggest waste of talent the Steelers ever drafted.
10. The 2005 Steelers were a better team than the Colts. The Steelers didn't get lucky, they were simply better.

slippy
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
i agree with most of your top ten, except:

6. the 1997 and 2001 teams would have gone to the bowl with good QB play.

7. you can't compare eras. period.

BlastFurnace
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
i agree with most of your top ten, except:

6. the 1997 and 2001 teams would have gone to the bowl with good QB play.

7. you can't compare eras. period.

I'm not comparing the era's, because I agree..it can't be done. I just think that Hines could have played in that era...or any era for that matter...and started over Swann. IMO, Hines is that good and tough.

LambertLunatic
07-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with most, except for the following:

I think Jerome was better. He carried the offense, and got his yards when opposing teams didn't have to respect the pass....and he done it with a worse line than Franco had.

5. The 1994 Steelers team is the 2nd best team in the team's history that didn't go to the Super Bowl (behind 1976)...even better than 2004.

The 78 and 79 teams were more balanced.

8. Franco Harris caught the ball cleanly in the Immaculate Reception & the ball did not hit Frenchy Fuqua at all.

This is something we'll never know for sure.

Kordell was a bigger waste of talent. He'd have been a Hall of Famer had he stayed Slash.

10. The 2005 Steelers were a better team than the Colts. The Steelers didn't get lucky, they were simply better.

The Colts were better. They came in too overconfident and too rusty from their starters not playing for 3 weeks.

BlastFurnace
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM

I think Jerome was better. He carried the offense, and got his yards when opposing teams didn't have to respect the pass....and he done it with a worse line than Franco had.

Kordell was a bigger waste of talent. He'd have been a Hall of Famer had he stayed Slash.

The Colts were better. They came in too overconfident and too rusty from their starters not playing for 3 weeks.

I agree with you about the 1978 & 1979 Steelers, but I was only talking about the teams that didn't make it to the Super Bowl.

I don't think the Colts were better. I really don't. The Steelers went through a mid-season slump because Ben was not playing. Before the San Diego game and from the Bears game forward that season, I believe the Steelers were the best team in the league.

I don't know if Kordell would have been a HOF'r or not if he had remained as Slash. I do believe he would have been a star in the league, but wouldn't have put up the overall stats necessary to make it to the HOF. Green, on the other hand, had HOF talent and could have been dominant had he cared enough to do so.

I reason I think Franco was better is because he was far better in the playoffs. Jerome had very good line's in the 1996, 7, 2001, 2, 4, and 5 seasons. Franco's lines, after the 1979 season's weren't that great. The team made the playoffs in 1983, but that wasn't that great of a team. In comparing both players in the years where the line's were really good, I still take Franco.

missedgehead
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I disagree about #7. Can not compare eras. Definitely can not.

missedgehead
07-12-2008, 07:32 PM
LambertLunatic wrote:

The Colts were better. They came in too overconfident and too rusty from their starters not playing for 3 weeks

Agreed. That sums it up perfectly how I feel. Also, being a fan of horse racing, I have seen too many times the best horse does not win due to whatever circumstances so , yeah, the Colts thought that they were going to roll over the STeelers like they did the regular season and , of course, like Dungy always does, he rests his starters the last 3 weeks of the season, and on that day, they got beat.

LambertIsGod58
07-12-2008, 07:36 PM
7. Hines Ward is the 2nd best Steelers receiver of all time and would have started over Swann had he played in the 70's. (Wouldn't you have liked to have seen him get a piece of Tatum or George Atkinson when they weren't looking)

I agree with everything except #2. MR. STEELER will always be reserved for Jack Lambert. He's by far the most popular player of all time and the player most recognized by Steeler fans.

BlastFurnace
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I disagree about #7. Can not compare eras. Definitely can not.

Again...I am not comparing the 1970's vs the 2000's era. I am simply saying the 2000 era Steelers has a player that could have played in any era...because of his demeanor, effort, heart, and will to win. I am taking into account the lack of supplementation, training, etc. Put Hines in the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 2040's, etc...and he will be able to play. He's that good of a player.

MDSteel15
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Excuse me but, Bull shit....

MDSteel15
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree with everything except #2. MR. STEELER will always be reserved for Jack Lambert. He's by far the most popular player of all time and the player most recognized by Steeler fans.

:thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
07-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Another thing to remember, the Colts lost their last 3 games of the regular season as well. They weren't as invincible as everyone thought they were.

Steeldude
07-13-2008, 05:12 AM
9. Eric Green was the biggest waste of talent the Steelers ever drafted

do you mean the steelers didn't utilize green correctly/enough?

should have added this in the top ten...

"the kordell stewart experiment cost the steelers at least 2 SB trips"

BlastFurnace
07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
do you mean the steelers didn't utilize green correctly/enough?

should have added this in the top ten...

"the kordell stewart experiment cost the steelers at least 2 SB trips"

No, I felt that Green was lazy. Because of his size and hands, he could have been our Ozzy Newsome.

Too true about Kordell.

steeltheone
07-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Bam Morris would have to be close in wasted talent.

The 97' team would have won the SuperBowl with a QB. Hell they woulda won it if not for John Elway.

Darren Perry did more with less talent than anybody.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-13-2008, 01:18 PM

This is like picking your favorite child.

Franco may not the the best but without question the greatest. The greatness of that moment transcends sports. That was a moment of inflection that permiates the pyche of multiple generations not just in PGH.

Eric Green. :doh:

slashsteel
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I am not so sure you start a Hines over a Swann. Both are/were great receivers.

In comparing Ward I think he was more like Stallworth. As Swann was our deep threat. As Stallworth & Ward are/were more like clutch possession receivers.

Personally I would have rather had Swann & Ward combo over a Stallworth & Ward combo...........

Or why not all three with a constant three wide formation ?

& If the Colts were better that year they would have won. We owned that run to XL. The better team won. If anything the Colts got lucky that the Bus fumbled or it wouldn't have been as close as it was.............

KeiselPower99
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM

If we had a good qb chalk up 97 and 01 as Super Bowl years. The 94 team wouildve never let Steve Young get the "Monkey off his back"

rick723
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
BlastFurnace I agree with all except. I think Bettis was better than Franco. Both were great though.

revefsreleets
07-16-2008, 08:59 AM
We'd have won the super bowl every year he was in the league had Big Ben actually known how to throw the ball from the pocket.

(Sorry, couldn't pass the opportunity by)

The_WARDen
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
BlastFurnace I agree with all except. I think Bettis was better than Franco. Both were great though.

Franco was better, not even close. Franco showed up in the big games (I believe he had owned the record for most yards in SB history if he still doesn't) whereas Bettis tended to disappear come playoff time.

As far as having to carry the team when the opponent didn't have to respect the pass? Prior to maybe like 77 or so, no one respected Bradshaw. In fact Franco and the defense won that 1st SB...Bradshaw had a great seat.

Godfather
07-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I realize Kordell threw two picks in the last few minutes, but I'd still blame 2001 on the special teams. They caused a 17-point swing in the game (punt return for a touchdown, blocked field goal for a touchdown). With minimally competent special teams play, Kordell wouldn't have been an issue.