PDA

View Full Version : 15 OTs

Texasteel
07-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Thats Right, I'm an addict. Half way through July, getting closer to the season.
Just thought I would put out 15 names that I think will be worth watching this year as Steeler fans.
Add to it if you like.

Michall Oher, 6-5, 320, 5.22, Mississippi
Alex Boone, 6-7, 310, 5.25, Ohio St.
Phil Loadholt, 6-8, 348, 5.38, Oklahoma
Andre Smith, 6-5, 340, 5.22, Alabama / Jr.
Ciron Black, 6-5, 315, 5.25, LSU / Jr.
Eugene Monroe, 6-5, 315, 5.25, Virginia
Dallas Reynolds, 6-5, 325, 5.10, BYU
Andrew Gardner, 6-6, 300, 5.10, Georgia Tech
Sean Sester, 6-7, 323, 5.15, Purdue
Sam Young, 6-7, 315, 5.25, Notre Dame / Jr.
Jamon Meredith, 6-5, 305, 5.10, South Carolina
Eric VandenHeuvel, 6-7, 325, 5.25, Wisconsin
Adam Ulatosk, 6-8, 310, 5.26, Texas / Jr.
Dace Richardson, 6-6, 310, 5.10, Iowa
Augustus Parrish, 6-4, 305, 5.15 Kent St.

The 2 that I like the most, so far, that I think we may have a shot at are Ciron Black, and Alex Boone. :helmet:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks TS...I took some time and looked ove some of these prospects...it could be a good year for OT's...not as many 1st rounders as this last draft...but the drop in talent from the 1st round to the second day isnt as great.

Here is a list of potential 3-4 DE's for your to take a look at....MUCH deeper than last year!!!! (some are DT's in college but may be able to move to DE).

1) Tyson Jackson, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 292.

2) Fili Moala, USC
Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.

3) Al Woods*, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 314.

4) Jeff Owens, Georgia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 296.

5) Demonte Bolden, Tennessee
Height: 6-6. Weight: 290....*injured

6) Dorell Scott, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 319.

7) Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 290.

8) Kyle Moore, USC
Height: 6-6. Weight: 275.

9) Jervonte Jackson, Florida Atlantic
Height: 6-3. Weight: 286.

10) John Gill, Northwestern
Height: 6-3. Weight: 293.

11) Jason Chapman, Wisconsin
Height: 6-4. Weight: 285.

12) Will Johnson, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 295.

13) Pannel Egboh, Stanford
Height: 6-6. Weight: 280.

14) Derek Walker, Illinois
Height: 6-4. Weight: 276.

15) Marcus Hands, East Carolina
Height: 6-5. Weight: 275.

Texasteel
07-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks LLT, I agree about the low drop off in OTs. If we can't get Black I think that I would just as soon wait till the 2nd round to take a OT.

That is a great list of Steeler DEs the only names I might add would be Vance Walker and Greg Middieton. There are a couple on kids there that I don't know a lot about but I will be the end of the year.

I think this draft could be very good to the Steelers. I hope we can get an extra 3rd for Faneca.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks LLT, I agree about the low drop off in OTs. If we can't get Black I think that I would just as soon wait till the 2nd round to take a OT.

That is a great list of Steeler DEs the only names I might add would be Vance Walker and Greg Middieton. There are a couple on kids there that I don't know a lot about but I will be the end of the year.

I think this draft could be very good to the Steelers. I hope we can get an extra 3rd for Faneca.

HEY!!...I had forgotten about getting an extra pick for Faneca...you just made my day!!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM

I don't think Middleton would fit in a 3-4....I think he is best suited for a 4-3....................

I just know in the first round DE or OT has to be the route the Steelers go.....

Texasteel
07-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Well with OTs and DE behind us lets take a look at the OGs

Duke Robinson, 6-5 330, 5.25, Oklahoma
Herman Johnson, 6-7, 345, 5.40, LSU,
Jeremy Perry, 6-2, 330, 5.25, Oregon St.
Cedric Dockery, 6-4, 320, 5.25, Texas
Steve Rehring, 6-7, 330 5.35, Ohio St.
Louis Vasquez, 6-6, 335, 5.25, Texas Tech.
Ray Feinga, 6-5, 330, 5.15, BYU
Kraig Urbik, 6-6, 330, 5.30, Wisconsin
Paul Fanaika, 6-6, 335, 5.40, Arizona St.
Travis Bright, 6-5, 330, 5.35, BYU
Anthony Parker, 6-2 305, 5.10, Tennessee
Mitch Petrus, 6-4, 310, 5.10, Arkansas
Andy Kemp, 6-5, 320, 5.20 Wisconsin
Chris Crouch, 6-4, 325, 5.20, N.C. St.

I think there is a little bit of a drop off when I get past 7 or 8, but there are some very useable OGs here. I am really warming up to Louis Vasquez, I beleave he didn't give up a sack all year. We get a lot of Texas Tech. game so he's one kid I should be able to get a good read on.

TrueSteelerForLife
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
What about Jonathan Luigs at center?

Texasteel
07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
What about Jonathan Luigs at center?

Have not gotten to OC yet.

Center position is going to be tough for me because, I have only seen a couple that I like.
Could be someone else should handle the center position.
Right now I like Alex Mack far and away better than any other, but Jonathan Luigs would be me 2nd choice.

revefsreleets
07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Here's a super sleeper to watch out for at OT. Chris Kemme from Akron. He's only a junior, but he was a 3 sport athlete in HS (Football, Lacrosse and Basketball) who never had time to really hit the weights so he only weighed 242 when he was recruited and was overlooked by all the big schools. He's now 6'6" and 300, and moves very well for a big guy. Very athletic, has a nasty streak, and has a ton of upside. Here's an excerpt from the Columbus Dispatch about him last year:

Now, Kemme makes defensive linemen nervous.

"Chris has a nastiness to him on the field," Callahan said. "I saw that in high school and I really liked that."

Kemme stresses that it's a controlled nastiness.

"There are times when I do get that mentality when I just want to bury the guy across from me," he said. "I don't talk a whole lot of trash. I just play. I think the opponent gets more frustrated when I don't talk back. I really like to run block. That's when you can get physical."

Sounds like a Steelers type of guy to me. He played as a true freshman, and improved dramatically last year. If that continues, he could be a really good OT.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Could be someone else should handle the center position.

TS....if you dont mind I will give my top 15...although to be honest...I tend to rank smaller,quicker Centers below those who have a better anchor. So keep in mind a team that uses zone blocking (like Denver) may take one of the smaller ..lighter centers higher than I rank them...

1) Alex Mack, California
Height: 6-5. Weight: 316.
(As of now...only 1st round center)

2) Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 314.

3) Josh McNeil, Tennessee
Height: 6-4. Weight: 289.

4) Antoine Caldwell, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 294

5) Eric Wood, Louisville
Height: 6-4. Weight: 304.

6) Alex Fletcher, Stanford
Height: 6-3. Weight: 299.

7) A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 298.

8) Jon Cooper, Oklahoma
Height: 6-2. Weight: 289.

9) Dominic Green, Nevada
Height: 6-3. Weight: 295.

10) Alex Derenthal, Temple
Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.

11) Ryan McDonald, Illinois
Height: 6-5. Weight: 297.

12) David Washington, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 308.

13) Robby Felix, UTEP
Height: 6-3. Weight: 295.

14) Brett Helms, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 287.

15) Daniel Sanders, Colorado
Height: 6-3. Weight: 322.

Texasteel
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks LLT, for some reason I just can't get to exsited about next years centers, except for the top 2, that may change over the season. I have read, don't ask me where, the Max Unger a zone blocking OT could be drafted as a center, that could make it interesting. Do you know if he has played that position before?

I do like Mack a bunch and it would not brake my heart to end up with him in the 1st round, although I'm sure some of us would think of it as a wasted pick.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks LLT, for some reason I just can't get to exsited about next years centers, except for the top 2, that may change over the season. I have read, don't ask me where, the Max Unger a zone blocking OT could be drafted as a center, that could make it interesting. Do you know if he has played that position before?

I do like Mack a bunch and it would not brake my heart to end up with him in the 1st round, although I'm sure some of us would think of it as a wasted pick.

I may be the last person to ask about Centers...I thought Legursky was a stud...and he couldnt even make it to camp!!!!!:doh:

I do like Alex Mack and Jonathan Luigs....after that I would have to say that Eric Wood, from Louisville seems like an interesting prospect.

Max Unger practiced at guard the year he redshirted, then started at tackle his first two years before switching to center last season....He will probably get moved back outside due to his athleticism and should be a 1st round pick at Guard or Tackle...but he is not considered very strong and may get drafted by a team with a zone-blocking scheme.

Texasteel
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I hadn't see Oregon play all last year and didn't even know that he had moved to center. To be honest he's not a kid I followed very close any way.

If you remember, I was on the Legursky wagon with you, and so was a few other people.

Aussie_steeler
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I am sure that we are all going to keep listing centers as a target until the position is truly solidified.

I would be more than willing for the team to say that Mack or Luigs are going to be that player. It makes sense with Hartwig signed for two years so that 2010 is the year that they take ownership of the position after learning the system in 2009.

Lets hope Faneca plays out of this world this year so a third round pick comes the teams way for the next draft. Four picks in the first 3 rounds will certainly allow for good picks on both O and D lines.

Texasteel
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
How would a 1st day, still counting the 3rd round as 1st day, of

Ciron Black, OT
Jonathan Luigs, C
Pannel Egodoh, DE
B.J. Rahi NT

sound to you Aussie. That would do a lot of good for our line on both sides of the ball. Yea I'm giving us an extra 3rd for Faneca.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Love some of your picks....may as well throw my hat into the ring.

1) OT Alex Boone, Ohio State...Height: 6-8. Weight: 314.
Plays both tackle positions...Made the All-Big Ten second team, even after being stricken with a knee injury last year. Would have been 1st team otherwise.

2) DE Pannel Egboh, Stanford...Height: 6-6. Weight: 280.
Perfect candidate for a 3-4 DE...consistant...24 consecutive starts.

3) CB Mark Parson, Ohio.. Height: 5-10. Weight: 193.
Runs a 4.38....one of the best man-to man corners in this draft.

3) NT B.J. Raji, Boston College... Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.
Academically inelgible last year...Stock may rise if he can stay on the team..
(This additional 3rd round pick based on assumption of Faneca's compensation)

4) OC Eric Wood, Louisville... Height: 6-4. Weight: 304.
Can play Center and Guard...strong anchor ...Football smart.

5) FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama...Height: 6-0. Weight: 189.
First team All-SEC...he had 94 tackles 5.5 tackles for loss and eight pass breakups...also can return kicks if needed

6) DE Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech ...Height: 6-4. Weight: 290.
Plays on opposite side of Vance Walker ...good value and added insurance in the sixth round.

7) K Swayze Waters, UAB ...Height: 6-0. Weight: 173.
8-of-10 from 40-49 and 3-of-4 from 50-plus with a long of 52 yards.

Texasteel
07-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Love some of your picks....may as well throw my towel into the ring.

1) OT Alex Boone, Ohio State...Height: 6-8. Weight: 314.
Plays both tackle positions...Made the All-Big Ten second team, even after being stricken with a knee injury last year. Would have been 1st team otherwise.

2) DE Pannel Egboh, Stanford...Height: 6-6. Weight: 280.
Perfect candidate for a 3-4 DE...consistant...24 consecutive starts.

3) CB Mark Parson, Ohio.. Height: 5-10. Weight: 193.
Runs a 4.38....one of the best man-to man corners in this draft.

3) NT B.J. Raji, Boston College... Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.
Academically inelgible last year...Stock may rise if he can stay on the team..
(This additional 3rd round pick based on assumption of Faneca's compensation)

4) OC Eric Wood, Louisville... Height: 6-4. Weight: 304.
Can play Center and Guard...strong anchor ...Football smart.

5) FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama...Height: 6-0. Weight: 189.
First team All-SEC...he had 94 tackles 5.5 tackles for loss and eight pass breakups...also can return kicks if needed

6) DE Darryl Richard, Georgia Tech ...Height: 6-4. Weight: 290.
Plays on opposite side of Vance Walker ...good value and added insurance in the sixth round.

7) K Swayze Waters, UAB ...Height: 6-0. Weight: 173.
8-of-10 from 40-49 and 3-of-4 from 50-plus with a long of 52 yards.

I do like your picks, it is very close to the way I would really like the draft to go.

I would love to pick up Black but realisticly, its not going to happen, Boone is my 2nd chioce and have said several time I think he will be a Steeler.

I have become very interested in Egboh, think he may be this years Langford, and agree that by the end of the year we will have to spend a 2nd on him.

Parson is one of 2 CB I want to watch, the other is Wopamo Osaisai of Stanford.
Osaisai is a track star, Parson is just one heck of a football player, I can't tell you how much I like this as a 3rd round pick.

Raji was born to play NT for the Steelers. He may not be the smartes kid, but he can play, and he would keep the middle of the line very solid.

I'm going to have to watch Wood a little more this year.

By the way, it never to early to start your shopping list.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Parson is one of 2 CB I want to watch, the other is Wopamo Osaisai of Stanford.
Osaisai is a track star, Parson is just one heck of a football player, I can't tell you how much I like this as a 3rd round pick.

Looks like we appreciate alot of the same players....Its almost scary how much Parson and Osaisai have in common....both run 40's in the 4'3's...both are three year starters...and both are projected (as of now) to be late third round picks

My sleeper pick at CB this year is Lydell Sargeant from Penn State ....He was benched the last couple of games last year...as a kick in the pants....but was still third on the team in tackles and had more tackles ans just as many interceptions as Justin King.

Aussie_steeler
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
How would a 1st day, still counting the 3rd round as 1st day, of

Ciron Black, OT
Jonathan Luigs, C
Pannel Egodoh, DE
B.J. Rahi NT

sound to you Aussie. That would do a lot of good for our line on both sides of the ball. Yea I'm giving us an extra 3rd for Faneca.

Like the way your thinking Texasteel and yes that would be very acceptable.

Also very impressed that LLT has got our first 7 round steelersfever 2009 mock draft.

Where do you guys see Vince Oghobaase sitting as a prospect in the 3-4 D line?
NT, DE or both?

Texasteel
07-20-2008, 08:27 AM
NT, DE or both?

I know a lot of people think he's a DE in a 3-4, and he would probably be a good one, but I think he would make a better NT, but he might need to pick up a couple of pound. He is very good at stoping the run.
I also think he just may stay in school for his Sr. year, kinda depends on what kind of year he has.

I would like to hear a few more ideas on this one myself.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Like the way your thinking Texasteel and yes that would be very acceptable.

Also very impressed that LLT has got our first 7 round steelersfever 2009 mock draft.

NT, DE or both?

Vince Oghobaase IS huge!!!!! He is 6'6 and about 312 lbs. Right now he is penciled as a late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick.

At that height...he packs the 310 very well...looking more like muscle than fat and I think he could play either DT or DE.

Havik
08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I like Eugene Monroe from Virginia. He didn't allow any sacks last year. His stock will go up if he plays well this year. I also like BYU's Dallas Reynolds.

Steeldude
09-07-2008, 03:54 AM
does anyone really think the steelers will address the O-line with the 1st two picks?

Texasteel
09-07-2008, 07:41 AM
does anyone really think the steelers will address the O-line with the 1st two picks?

Yes I do. But you never know for sure. Personaly, I'm starting to lean toward Mack the center out of Cal. Then again I think they have to do something about the D-line as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2008, 10:52 AM

I think the fact that we will probably have only Colon and Hills back as returning tackles (maybe Trai Essex) that they will have to pick by need and not BAA.

As for spending top 2 picks...I dont know. They may have to go OT, DE, OG??

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
might as well throw an early one out there.....Taking the BPA is great when you don't have glaring needs , so with that said, i think no way should ANY position other than linemen O and D should be selected with the 1 st 4 picks. although tackle may be the biggest need mack and robinson are the clear cut best at thier positions, and should be cosidered above any other than oher and andre smith. picks 4 -7 go BPA since there's a good chance they get cut anyway.

1 .....1st option / alex mack / C.........2nd - duke robinson / G...........3rd - ciron black / T

2......1st - alex boone/ T....................2nd - Jonathan Luigs / C.........3rd - Max Unger / T/C

3......1st - Phil Loadholt / T................2nd - Dorell Scott. / DT. ..............3rd - B.J. Raji / DT

3......1st - Jamon Meredith / T...........2ND - Nader Abdallah / DT........3RD - Louis Vasquez /G

Texasteel
09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
If I were picking the 1st 3 round. today I think I would hope for.

1. Alex Mack / OC / Cal.
2. Alex Boone / OT / Ohio St.
3. Peria Jerry / DT / Old Miss.
There is a CB I want very much, I don't really care what round, but he is suppost to go in the 3rd, or 4th round.
Mark Parson / Ohio

I haven't see Jerry or Parson this year but unless they take a real nose dive they are both players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
If I were picking the 1st 3 round. today I think I would hope for.

1. Alex Mack / OC / Cal.
2. Alex Boone / OT / Ohio St.
3. Peria Jerry / DT / Old Miss.
There is a CB I want very much, I don't really care what round, but he is suppost to go in the 3rd, or 4th round.
Mark Parson / Ohio

I haven't see Jerry or Parson this year but unless they take a real nose dive they are both players.

Yeah, that looks pretty good if it happened. Boone and either Mack or Luigs would be a great draft. Free agency always throws a wrench into things, so still gotta see who can be retained before April 09.

Godfather
09-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Another center worth a look is Michael Parenton from Tulane. He manhandled Glenn Dorsey last year (most teams had to double or triple team Dorsey), and he made Shaun Cody his biotch this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Another center worth a look is Michael Parenton from Tulane. He manhandled Glenn Dorsey last year (most teams had to double or triple team Dorsey), and he made Shaun Cody his biotch this year.

Thanks for the tip. I looked him up and he goes a little light at 282 lbs. Probably not a great fit against big NT's.

At a listed 6-foot-2 and 282 pounds, Parenton lacks ideal pro size, making him a projected late-round draft pick at best. But if sheer work ethic counts for anything, Parenton has a chance to play on Sundays.

http://blog.nola.com/tulanebeat/2008/08/michael_parenton_taking_a_stro.html

Wonder if Max Unger plays C or OT in the NFL?

Godfather
10-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Yep. Parenton can always bulk up and you don't want the center to be too tall. Definitely worth the gamble on Day 2.

Oh--it was Terrence Cody, not Shaun.

Havik
10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Parenton's size would probably make him a better fit in a zone blocking scheme. The Steelers should find a center that is big enough to handle the large nose tackles that they have to deal with in the AFC. I'm all for picking Alex Mack.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey, Master Of Puppets.....FYI, here is a good video of

Phil Loadholt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00hTwOpGtE

Also Alex Boone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpgyrHfu6s

Andre Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzGlUukFdw

Michael Oher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblief4DELA

Eugene Monroe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCgN36GOMk

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey, Master Of Puppets.....FYI, here is a good video of

Phil Loadholt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00hTwOpGtE

Also Alex Boone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpgyrHfu6s

Andre Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzGlUukFdw

Michael Oher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblief4DELA

Eugene Monroe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCgN36GOMk
thanks....:thumbsup: the only problem with highlights, is that there all highlights. i wanna see a guy get beat, to see WHY he gets beat , if ya know what i meen. (lacking strenght, speed, technique...etc.) i wanna know if a guy can be coached out of the flaws in his game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
thanks....:thumbsup: the only problem with highlights, is that there all highlights. i wanna see a guy get beat, to see WHY he gets beat , if ya know what i meen. (lacking strenght, speed, technique...etc.) i wanna know if a guy can be coached out of the flaws in his game.

I know what you mean. Alex Boone didnt look as good in the PSU game as on this hilight reel, but it gives an idea of how some of these guys play and what skills they have or need be coached up on.

Phil Loadholt looks to move really well, but doesnt show a real punch in pass blocking. Smith has great balance and technique, but doesnt kick slide in pass protection well. A few of those things you can glean.

The other thing is I think some of these videos play faster than real time. I personally like Smith, Oher, Monroe, Loadholt, Boone in that order. The more I watch, the more I feel like the Steelers might be able to get a future LT in this draft.....even if they have to move up 10 spots to do so.