PDA

View Full Version : Mccain or Obama

Big D
07-13-2008, 09:26 AM
steeler fourm election

millwalldavey
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Can we add a none of the above? I'm not undecided... I know I don't like either of them.

Preacher
07-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Can we add a none of the above? I'm not undecided... I know I don't like either of them.

Seeing as how we agree almost NEVER on politics..

It surprises me that we are completely in agreement here...

Sure does say a lot about the sad state of our political system... doesn't it!

millwalldavey
07-13-2008, 10:21 AM

When this is all the parties can give us it is truly a sad state of affairs. Something is gonna give in this country sooner or later... hopefully sooner.

We can disagree on a lot, but ALL Steelers fans are my brothers!

CantStop85
07-13-2008, 10:53 AM
4 votes for Obama and 0 for McCain...gotta admit, I didn't see that one coming.

Mosca
07-13-2008, 03:21 PM

LOL,me, too. I'm the "undecided" guy there now, and I chose that because I didn't feel right voting for either of the candidates. I don't like what I know about the one, and I don't like what I don't know about the other.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
I see 7-5 McCain with 1 undecided.

KeiselPower99
07-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Is there another choice???

CantStop85
07-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Is there another choice???

There's always Nader. :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
There's always Nader. :noidea:

And Bob Barr (Libertarian) and Cynthia McKinney (Green), both from ATL:sofunny:

revefsreleets
07-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I predicted McCain would be the next President after Bush in 2003. Obama makes it interesting, though.

Preacher
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM
In the end....

I will probably end up voting for McCain... mainly in the same way I voted for Bush in 00...

Hold my nose, hold my breath and punch the ballot... without really looking so I can't have a memory of the experience.

But he has the 2 central issues I am in agreement with... and no one else holds both positions so far...

CantStop85
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
But he has the 2 central issues I am in agreement with... and no one else holds both positions so far...

Don't leave us hanging, Preach, what they be? :chuckle:

VTsteel
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Where's the spot to vote for Nader?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MEOveDgARp4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MEOveDgARp4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Preacher
07-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Don't leave us hanging, Preach, what they be? :chuckle:

I think most people here know what those are!!

1. Pro-life
2. Finish out in Iraq-- before withdrawing.

HometownGal
07-14-2008, 07:23 AM
4 votes for Obama and 0 for McCain...gotta admit, I didn't see that one coming.

Take a gander again, oh blind Bungles fan. :wink02::wink02:

For me - it's a no-brainer between the two. John McCain.

LambertIsGod58
07-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I can't help but believe that McCain would just give us 4 more of the same. Gas tax holiday ring a bell? I respect McCain's service to our country and all. I just don't see him as President. And I am a Republican through and through.

LambertIsGod58
07-14-2008, 08:09 AM
I would say I could waver depending on his running mate. Adding Romney might save my vote.

pitt
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
McCain

HometownGal
07-14-2008, 08:40 AM

1. Pro-life

I'm with you, Father. In addition, I totally support McCain's platforms on the following:

1. National Security. I believe our country would remain safe with McCain at the helm and that he would be relentless against terrorists. I can't say that about Obama.

2. Stiff penalties for those who desecrate the American flag.

3. Overhaul of veterans benefits so that our servicemen and women, as well as our vets, are properly taken care of both in the line of duty and when they return home. It's a crying shame when illegals are given more "bennies" than those who served this great country.

4. McCain supports the right for American citizens to bear arms responsibly.

5. Pro death penalty.

6. Putting Social Security on firm financial footing and taking it out of the hands of partisan politics.

7. Going full steam ahead with tax reform (including either abolishing or lowering the percentage of inheritance taxes paid by heirs).

8. Immigration reform and firmly securing our borders.

CantStop85
07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Take a gander again, oh blind Bungles fan. :wink02::wink02:

For me - it's a no-brainer between the two. John McCain.

I knew it couldn't last, just funny while it lasted.

You're right though, McCain's a real "no-brainer," I think he lost it in Vietnam. :flap:

SteelCurtain
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM

1. Pro-life

1. Yeah, because that has a direct effect on the welfare of our economy and national security.....

2. Finish out in Iraq for what reasons? So more US troops can die or be severely injured for what reason? To give "democracy" to a bunch of people who aren't willing to accept it? This war has done nothing and will do nothing other than cost the taxpayers money and more regrettably cost many American and Coalition soldiers their lives...

Why don't you vote on real issues, such as the need for EQUAL trade and not "Free" trade just for an example...

Big D
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
1. Yeah, because that has a direct effect on the welfare of our economy and national security.....

2. Finish out in Iraq for what reasons? So more US troops can die or be severely injured for what reason? To give "democracy" to a bunch of people who aren't willing to accept it? This war has done nothing and will do nothing other than cost the taxpayers money and more regrettably cost many American and Coalition soldiers their lives...

Why don't you vote on real issues, such as the need for EQUAL trade and not "Free" trade just for an example...

I agree with you. I dont know why anyone would want the senial mccain in office. He is going to screw up this country twice as bad as bush did.

Preacher
07-15-2008, 04:49 PM

I am sorry,

While I don't want to turn this thread into another abortion debate thread...

I DO consider the wanton destruction of 1 million humans a year in OUR NATION a real issue.

I do consider a stable middle east a real issue.

I guess it may be just me, but I consider human life a more important issue than money.

I guess I am just funny that way.

revefsreleets
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Abortion should NEVER be the hot-button issue it is. Make it legal, but rare. If you use abortion as birth control, you should be taken out in the street and shot. But there are always scenarios in which justification can be had.

Steelcurtain, you need to read Freakanomics. Roe v Wade had a HUGE POSITIVE impact on the economic status of this Country. Clinton rode the coattails of this with his adding a few hundred thousand cops and claiming that HIS policy ended the increase of violent crime. In point of fact, abortion did.

As always, simple one-sided myopic views of issues never hold up under scrutiny. It's always much, much more complicated.

HometownGal
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
I am sorry,

While I don't want to turn this thread into another abortion debate thread...

I DO consider the wanton destruction of 1 million humans a year in OUR NATION a real issue.

I do consider a stable middle east a real issue.

I guess it may be just me, but I consider human life a more important issue than money.

I guess I am just funny that way.

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit::hatsoff:

What a terrific post, Father. There are more innocent lives snuffed out via abortion every year then casualties in Iraq. This does not mean that I take the lives of those who fight for our freedoms lightly, as I owe my life and the lives of those I love to these courageous men and women.

Do you have room on that funny wagon? :chuckle:

HometownGal
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I dont know why anyone would want the senial mccain in office. He is going to screw up this country twice as bad as bush did.

This country was screwed up long before GWB, Clinton, Bush, Sr. and Reagan took office. It started with the Carter administration (imho) and has snowballed since. Quite honestly, though, I think I'd rather have a tough old bird like McCain in office who will continue the tough stance on terrorism that GWB has. Like Dubya or not, this country (and you and your family) have been safe since he put out the word after 911 that terrorism will not be tolerated and will be harshly dealt with. As I've said numerous times - if we are attacked again (which I believe is quite possible if Obama is elected) we may not have to worry about the economy, gas prices, health care or any other issue. We'll be taking dirt naps.

stillers4me
07-15-2008, 09:49 PM
This country was screwed up long before GWB, Clinton, Bush, Sr. and Reagan took office. It started with the Carter administration (imho) and has snowballed since. Quite honestly, though, I think I'd rather have a tough old bird like McCain in office who will continue the tough stance on terrorism that GWB has. Like Dubya or not, this country (and you and your family) have been safe since he put out the word after 911 that terrorism will not be tolerated and will be harshly dealt with. As I've said numerous times - if we are attacked again (which I believe is quite possible if Obama is elected) we may not have to worry about the economy, gas prices, health care or any other issue. We'll be taking dirt naps.

:applaudit: Bravo!

CantStop85
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM

I am still puzzled at Bush/McCain supporters who believe that withdrawing troops from Iraq will leave America vulnerable and unsafe. I get the argument that extremists may take take advantage of Iraq's fledgling democracy once the coalition leaves, but I don't see that spilling over into America's security.

Personally, I favor Obama's plan...withdraw the majority of the troops in Iraq within 16 months or so, leaving a small amount to help in training Iraqi soldiers and monitoring the situation. Let Iraq be primarily responsible for their own government and security. We're never going to eliminate all of the "enemies" in Iraq and there will never be a clear-cut victory and we can't conceivably stay there forever, so why not take the steps necessary to help Iraq become self-sufficient? Then, instead shift our military attention to Afghanistan and Pakistan where most of Al Qaeda are actually situated. After all, we still haven't found Osama Bin Laden...and Al Qaeda, the people we can actually blame for the 9/11 attacks, are primarily located in these two areas. To me, that's where the main threat to America's safety lies...not in Iraq.

Preacher
07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I am still puzzled at Bush/McCain supporters who believe that withdrawing troops from Iraq will leave America vulnerable and unsafe. I get the argument that extremists may take take advantage of Iraq's fledgling democracy once the coalition leaves, but I don't see that spilling over into America's security.

CS85...

Thank you for assessing that in a fair manner.

My personal view is that an Iraq which descends into another theocratic state like Iran emboldens and strengthens the suicide bombers and destabilizing factors in the Paletinian/Israeli conflict, thus creating continued chaos.

Therein lies the problem. Terrorism grows out of, and thrives through, and works to create chaos. Order is the enemy of terrorism. An islamic state dedicated to continuing the chaos in the Palestinian conflict creates a ready made bed for terrorists to grow to fruition and impact. That impact, as learned on 9-11, will no longer only be in the mid-east.

Are we creating chaos right now? Yes. absolutely, and you are seeing the growth of terrorism from it. However, we are working to bring about a new order which will begin the drive to end the chaos in the middle east.

An islamic state of Iraq (like Iran) will be the opposite.

That is why it is dangerous to us... as VP Cheney said, Iraq provided the best nexus for terrorists and weapons to come together... and someday, that nexus will hurt us worse than 9-11.

revefsreleets
07-16-2008, 08:28 AM
I have only one major problem with setting a "hard withdrawal" date. It may or may not leave a vacuum (it's paramount that Iraq can stand on it's own when we leave...it's nonsensical to think of leaving before that. But it looks like as a country and a military that day is fast approaching) but if there are insurgent or terrorist groups who want to take advantage, giving them a "D- Day" is a big mistake. Better to do it in waves, unannounced or at least as spontaneous as can be, little by little. It's the old "boiling a frog" thing.