PDA

View Full Version : Signing Mendenhall & Sweed

GBMelBlount
07-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Signing Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed

By James Pete | July 13th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The only two remaining Steelers left to be signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers are first and second round picks, Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed. With training camp opening two weeks from today, there’s been some trepidation throughout the fan-base about how contract talks were going. Rest assured Steelers Nation, The Steelers are ahead of schedule with signing draft picks.

Last season, the Steelers signed first round draft pick, Lawrence Timmons, on July 22nd, and second round pick, LaMarr Woodley, on July 18th. In 2006, Pittsburgh signed their first round pick, Santonio Holmes on July 28th, as well as third round pick, Willie Reid. Fellow third round pick, Anthony Smith, signed his deal on July 26th (they traded their second round pick). 2005 first round pick, Heath Miller, signed his contract on July 25th, with second round pick, Bryant McFadden also signing in late July. You see my point. Pittsburgh usually gets the job with these deals either before camp opens, or during the first couple of days of camp. Ben Roethlisberger was the latest of the recent first round picks, signing his deal on August 4th.

So what does this all mean? Pittsburgh will get these two signed, and more than likely, the deals will be done sometime during the week leading up to camp. There is some speculation that both Mendenhall and Sweed might look for a bigger signing bonus than their selections would suggest. Both draft picks were considered bargains at the slot they were selected in, so if their agents are worth anything, he’ll push for a bit of a jump in bonus money.

Look for Mendenhall’s deal to be a five-year contract, worth in the ballpark of 9.5-10 million dollars. Sweed’s deal might be a little more tricky to predict, but it’s likely to be a four-year contract, worth around 3.5 million.

The sooner these guys are signed, the better.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/13/signing-rashard-mendenhall-and-limas-sweed/

Hammer Of The GODS
07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
There is some speculation that both Mendenhall and Sweed might look for a bigger signing bonus than their selections would suggest. Both draft picks were considered bargains at the slot they were selected in, so if their agents are worth anything, he’ll push for a bit of a jump in bonus money.

This is the stuff that really chaps my ass! I like these two kids, but for them to pressume they should get a bigger payday because they were "bargains" is a big pile! They were drafted where they were drafted because the other teams felt that another player was a better fit for them. To thier defense, this is just a product of these sleezy fa-king agents/lawyers trying to pad thier own pockets! I for one think the NFL should put a cap on the amount of money an agent can make off a player!

I'm all for better regulations on money paid to draft picks. It's actually quite simple as we all know. Performance based contracts is the answer!

Now that I'm done ranting....... I hope these two kids are indeed the "bargain/steal" of the draft!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Its not their fault entirely. They are what 24 years old and doing what they should do.....listening to their agents.

This is why I am a big fan of the NBA rookie salary structure, where money is allocated for each draft position. It eliminates the need for agent crap and holdouts, while paying rookies well, but keeping in mind these guys havent done a thing yet.

I'm baffled how some kid that is gonna get taped to the goal post, have to carry veterans shoulder pads from practice and sing their college fight songs in the cafeteria are somehow guaranteed 20 million dollars, while a 5 year vet is guaranteed he can be released if he doesnt perform.

They will signed in time for camp. Lots of time already.

Mosca
07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
This is the stuff that really chaps my ass! I like these two kids, but for them to pressume they should get a bigger payday because they were "bargains" is a big pile! They were drafted where they were drafted because the other teams felt that another player was a better fit for them. To thier defense, this is just a product of these sleezy fa-king agents/lawyers trying to pad thier own pockets! I for one think the NFL should put a cap on the amount of money an agent can make off a player!

I'm all for better regulations on money paid to draft picks. It's actually quite simple as we all know. Performance based contracts is the answer!

Now that I'm done ranting....... I hope these two kids are indeed the "bargain/steal" of the draft!

I dunno. I think they should try to get as much as they possibly can; it's the American way. It's pure capitalism. It's driven by our fanaticism for the Steelers, after all. If we didn't care so much, they wouldn't be worth so much.

It's a lot better this way than it was before, when players were given a contract at what management wanted to pay, and were told to sign or hit the bricks. As recently as the 1970s, players had off season jobs, you know.

rbryan
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM
I was kind of surprised when I saw what our two #6's signed at. I couldn't help but think that wasn't very much for what thier about to go through, not to mention the hard work and odds they overcame to even get drafted.

Its the huge money the 1st 15-20 drafted players command that throws the system out of whack IMO

MDSteel15
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with Gonzo, the league needs to go to what the NBA does and let them EARN their big contracts after the rookie contract is over! You know, like the rest of America does every day... Well, for the most part. LoL

Lord Stiller
07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
not a big deal

the amounts they will get are pretty much slotted. since Mendenhall was a late 1st rd pick, we will get him signed to a very reasonable contract.

It sucks to have a top 12 pick and be forced to pay a lot of money to an unproven player (unless you nail the pick like we did with Big Ben :tt03:)

GBMelBlount
07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
not a big deal

the amounts they will get are pretty much slotted. since Mendenhall was a late 1st rd pick, we will get him signed to a very reasonable contract.

It sucks to have a top 12 pick and be forced to pay a lot of money to an unproven player (unless you nail the pick like we did with Big Ben :tt03:)

I guess we can be thankful that we rarely have to worry about that :thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
I guess we can be thankful that we rarely have to worry about that :thumbsup:

Big time

Drafting the wrong guy near the top can really set your team back.

And drafting the right guy later in the first round can really help your team (good player, cheap contract)

Galax Steeler
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Hopefully they will not want big contracts because they were bargans but maybe we will get them signed and into training camp before it starts.

SteelersJW
07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
The sooner the NFL places a rookie salary cap, the better.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Signing Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed

By James Pete | July 13th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

The only two remaining Steelers left to be signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers are first and second round picks, Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed. With training camp opening two weeks from today, there’s been some trepidation throughout the fan-base about how contract talks were going. Rest assured Steelers Nation, The Steelers are ahead of schedule with signing draft picks.

Last season, the Steelers signed first round draft pick, Lawrence Timmons, on July 22nd, and second round pick, LaMarr Woodley, on July 18th. In 2006, Pittsburgh signed their first round pick, Santonio Holmes on July 28th, as well as third round pick, Willie Reid. Fellow third round pick, Anthony Smith, signed his deal on July 26th (they traded their second round pick). 2005 first round pick, Heath Miller, signed his contract on July 25th, with second round pick, Bryant McFadden also signing in late July. You see my point. Pittsburgh usually gets the job with these deals either before camp opens, or during the first couple of days of camp. Ben Roethlisberger was the latest of the recent first round picks, signing his deal on August 4th.

So what does this all mean? Pittsburgh will get these two signed, and more than likely, the deals will be done sometime during the week leading up to camp. There is some speculation that both Mendenhall and Sweed might look for a bigger signing bonus than their selections would suggest. Both draft picks were considered bargains at the slot they were selected in, so if their agents are worth anything, he’ll push for a bit of a jump in bonus money.

Look for Mendenhall’s deal to be a five-year contract, worth in the ballpark of 9.5-10 million dollars. Sweed’s deal might be a little more tricky to predict, but it’s likely to be a four-year contract, worth around 3.5 million.

The sooner these guys are signed, the better.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/13/signing-rashard-mendenhall-and-limas-sweed/

Surprised by the lack of news until the Racetrack Rooney's turned history upside down.

What is refreshing at this time is that the sense of urgency is GONE. No sense of urgency. If Kevin Colbert were running the Federal Reserve my confidence might be higher. Well not really. Only time will tell but we (Rooney's) picked the most proper man. I'm not knocking Cowher. But KC is doing all the right things. Better yet it is what he hasn't done. He didn't go for the lineman. Why fish for trout in the desert?

As for Mendenhall and Sweed...sign or go home and workout. Your presence adds zero to our short term. We need neither to start the season. NEITHER.

What we need the US housing market needs...a foundation.. 2010 is maybe the uptrend.

More importantly...Davis is signed and hungry. I'm hanging my hat on a PAC-10 rival. Now that he's a Steeler and I'm willing to bet he's going Pro Bowl. Still waiting for someone to take the bet.

redst3
07-16-2008, 05:12 AM
I dunno. I think they should try to get as much as they possibly can; it's the American way. It's pure capitalism. .

Totally agree, its their talent to do what they want with it, not ours. They should get what they can. Don’t forget a decent career in the NFL may only last 4 or 5 years. These guys are earning for the years when they cant play.

Think about Earl Campbell, one of the great ones. The guy cant even close his fist now!

stlrtruck
07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
More importantly...Davis is signed and hungry. I'm hanging my hat on a PAC-10 rival. Now that he's a Steeler and I'm willing to bet he's going Pro Bowl. Still waiting for someone to take the bet.

I'd take your bet BUT why would I bet against a STEELER - it's just not right! :thumbsup:

Hammer Of The GODS
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
I dunno. I think they should try to get as much as they possibly can; it's the American way. It's pure capitalism. It's driven by our fanaticism for the Steelers, after all. If we didn't care so much, they wouldn't be worth so much.

It's a lot better this way than it was before, when players were given a contract at what management wanted to pay, and were told to sign or hit the bricks. As recently as the 1970s, players had off season jobs, you know.

Totally agree, its their talent to do what they want with it, not ours. They should get what they can. Don’t forget a decent career in the NFL may only last 4 or 5 years. These guys are earning for the years when they cant play.

Think about Earl Campbell, one of the great ones. The guy cant even close his fist now!

The American way? C'mon guys! I'll be the first to admit that these guys should be well compensated. But not for nothing! PERFORMANCE BASED CONTRACTS! Why is that such a hard pill to swallow?

Rookie comes in, signs a contract for a pre-set league amount. Contract has performance based incentives and bonuses throughout. If the player performs they get the money they deserve! If they don't perform they GET THE MONEY THEY DESERVE!

Why is it ok for an unproven player to come in and DEMAND money they haven't earned? Sorry but that is just friggin crazy!

For every Earl Campbell there are a dozen Ryan Leafs! Would you like to be the guy handing over a huge check to someone who has NEVER done a spec of work for you? All the while knowing if he doesn't pan out it could set your company back for years!

Performance based contracts would benefit the fans by ensuring that thier team doesn't stay in the dark ages while playing hit or miss in the draft with huge contracts! Just look at the Lions fans! Those poor bastards are in hell!

stlrtruck
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
The American way? C'mon guys! I'll be the first to admit that these guys should be well compensated. But not for nothing! PERFORMANCE BASED CONTRACTS! Why is that such a hard pill to swallow?

Rookie comes in, signs a contract for a pre-set league amount. Contract has performance based incentives and bonuses throughout. If the player performs they get the money they deserve! If they don't perform they GET THE MONEY THEY DESERVE!

Why is it ok for an unproven player to come in and DEMAND money they haven't earned? Sorry but that is just friggin crazy!

For every Earl Campbell there are a dozen Ryan Leafs! Would you like to be the guy handing over a huge check to someone who has NEVER done a spec of work for you? All the while knowing if he doesn't pan out it could set your company back for years!

Performance based contracts would benefit the fans by ensuring that thier team doesn't stay in the dark ages while playing hit or miss in the draft with huge contracts! Just look at the Lions fans! Those poor bastards are in hell!

The only argument I have against performance based contracts is that it offers owners a way to manipulate playing time, carries, etc. For example, if Mendenhall had a performance bonus that if he gained 1,000 yards he gets $500,000 and in the last game of the season he was 75 yards away, but for some reason wasn't given the opprotunity to run the ball except in short yardage and goal line situations - one could argue that the coach (or owner) pulled him off the field to make sure he wasn't going to get paid.

Other than that scenario above, I like the idea of a rookie salary cap and incentive laden contracts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I love this "American Way" idea...:)

I guess this means that any college grad that is potentially a really good employee(accountant, lawyer, factory worker, stock broker, etc) should be guaranteed to earn 3-5 times more $$ than fellow employees that have been doing a good job for 5 -10 years???

If you really want the American Way. Earn everything you get. Work on commission and nothing is guaranteed. Do like the original settlers and live off the land, eat what you can catch or grow. Anybody wanna try it??

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
BTW, the Ravens just signed the #18 pick, Joe Flacco.

The dominos should start to fall pretty soon with signings. Mendenhall is 5 spots back at #23, so we should see his deal completed within a week is my guess.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
The only argument I have against performance based contracts is that it offers owners a way to manipulate playing time, carries, etc. For example, if Mendenhall had a performance bonus that if he gained 1,000 yards he gets $500,000 and in the last game of the season he was 75 yards away, but for some reason wasn't given the opprotunity to run the ball except in short yardage and goal line situations - one could argue that the coach (or owner) pulled him off the field to make sure he wasn't going to get paid.

Other than that scenario above, I like the idea of a rookie salary cap and incentive laden contracts.

Agreed that would be a pitfall. But people who are "assumably" smarter than me would sidestep that mine. I mean someone put together the formula for rating QBs that even NASA has trouble figuring out. They could do this. But to not even try because there "might" be problems is a cop out and a way for players to continue to get money they haven't yet worked for!

stlrtruck
07-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Agreed that would be a pitfall. But people who are "assumably" smarter than me would sidestep that mine. I mean someone put together the formula for rating QBs that even NASA has trouble figuring out. They could do this. But to not even try because there "might" be problems is a cop out and a way for players to continue to get money they haven't yet worked for!

I'm sure someone has put it together but somewhere in the "Good Ole Boy Network" I'm sure it's gotten lost.

Texasteel
07-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Whill we are wait for Sweed to sign I thought it would be worth looking at these one more time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK10JNtH6E

Mosca
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
LOL, everyone is a conservative republican until the principles interfere with their football team, it seems...

It's capitalism at its most pure. The guy has a service for sale. He is free to sell it for as high a price as he can. His perceived skill set is high enough that there is very little to compare it to.

Frankly, the system of drafting the players at all jimmies the system towards the owners; the players should be free to accept offers from all owners and choose the one they want in competitive bidding.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
LOL, everyone is a conservative republican until the principles interfere with their football team, it seems...

It's capitalism at its most pure. The guy has a service for sale. He is free to sell it for as high a price as he can. His perceived skill set is high enough that there is very little to compare it to.

Frankly, the system of drafting the players at all jimmies the system towards the owners; the players should be free to accept offers from all owners and choose the one they want in competitive bidding.

The problem with the current rookie salary structure is that tons of money is being paid out to unfinished products that may or may not provide a return. The worst teams in the league are in effect subject to being extorted for millions of dollars on a possible or probable good employee.

If it was truly an open market situation, you would see that teams would not want to invest $40 million in guaranteed money on Matt Ryan, because he could become another Alex Smith, Trent Dilfer, Heath Schuler, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, etc.

I dont think the system is jimmied to the owners. They would not rush out to spend that kind of money for unproven talent any faster than Warren Buffet would not rush out to spend money on a dot.com company in the 90's.

LVSteelersfan
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Sorry, but that argument doesnt wash with me. If they only last 4 or 5 years, GET A FREAKIN JOB like the rest of us have to do. Why should someone be able to retire when they are 30 years old? Bunch of overpaid babies driving their 5 expensive cars like they keep showing us on the NFL Channel. Michael Vick was making a fortune and he is now filing for bankruptcy. If you are too stupid to save for a rainy day when you are a millionaire, I find it hard to feel sorry for anyone.

:banging::banging::banging::banging:

Preacher
07-17-2008, 07:06 PM

Not even close.

If it was capitalism at its purest, there would be no draft. Every team would put up money for every player they want, without the league OR UNION telling them how much or how little they can pay.

There is little to no free market here. One guy signs, and then everyone else slots out from that signing. Thus, everyone tries to not sign first, driving the price higher and higher. It is like the unions bilking the auto companies.... one comp. completes a deal, then the other companies are held hostage until they agree to the deal.

One player signs a deal, then the rest have to slot in, or the player simply walks away, stays in shape, and attempts it again next year--at a loss to both team and player.

It is the furthest thing from true capitalism.

Mosca
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I dont think the system is jimmied to the owners. They would not rush out to spend that kind of money for unproven talent any faster than Warren Buffet would not rush out to spend money on a dot.com company in the 90's.

L... O... L. They do it every day. They do it with players whose only other options are Canada and sitting out a year. How much do you think salaries would be if these guys had to bid with each other? Al Davis caved to Jamarcus Russell because in the end, he decided that the guy's potential value made it worth the money. You might counter that Davis is nuts, but he's still an owner, and his actions set a price point... would you have liked to have bid against him for Roethlisberger?

You can't attack Sweed from a conservative standpoint (free market), you can't attack him from a liberal standpoint (it's the little guy against the big guys), you can't attack him from a libertarian standpoint (a man is free to sell his services as he pleases, encumbered to no one). The only perspective you can defend criticizing a man for getting as much as he can in his rookie contract is dictatorial, or fascist, or monarchical; but you can't attack him for acting freely, and then claim to be in favor of freedom and the American Way.

Mosca
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Not even close.

If it was capitalism at its purest, there would be no draft. Every team would put up money for every player they want, without the league OR UNION telling them how much or how little they can pay.

There is little to no free market here. One guy signs, and then everyone else slots out from that signing. Thus, everyone tries to not sign first, driving the price higher and higher. It is like the unions bilking the auto companies.... one comp. completes a deal, then the other companies are held hostage until they agree to the deal.

One player signs a deal, then the rest have to slot in, or the player simply walks away, stays in shape, and attempts it again next year.

It is the furthest thing from true capitalism.

OK, capitalism within the artificial construct that is set up to prevent the owners from bidding the salaries through to heaven above. Read my previous post, and try to give me a reason why a man shouldn't be allowed to sell his services for what another man is willing to pay him; the owner is deciding that the man's potential value is worth this many dollars. To him. Right now. Fair has nothing to do with it.

Preacher
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
OK, capitalism within the artificial construct that is set up to prevent the owners from bidding the salaries through to heaven above. Read my previous post, and try to give me a reason why a man shouldn't be allowed to sell his services for what another man is willing to pay him; the owner is deciding that the man's potential value is worth this many dollars. To him. Right now. Fair has nothing to do with it.

Simple.

Because it is a union.

When I was hired in a union job in the phone company a few years ago, I couldn't bid for the job. I had to accept what they told me they were going to pay me, since the union negotiated it. Period. end of story.

NFLPA is a union. If they negotiate a rookie salary, that is it.

Is that un-american? Sure is. what does that say about unions? :sofunny:

Mosca
07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Collective bargaining is legal, and collective bargaining is also capitalism. Give me ANY grounds on which people cannot bargain collectively. You don't have to LIKE unions. but if it weren't for unions, we would not be as well off as we are today.

A bunch of talented guys who can't be replaced want to band together and set the price of their services to 32 billionaires? Give me a break. Before the NFLPA, these guys had to get jobs in the off season, they were paid so little. You seem to think that business owners are beneficent fathers; they'd pay these guys $6.25 an hour if they thought they could, and they'd keep ticket prices right where they are, too.

X-Terminator
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I agree with Gonzo, the league needs to go to what the NBA does and let them EARN their big contracts after the rookie contract is over! You know, like the rest of America does every day... Well, for the most part. LoL

The NHL does this as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
L... O... L. They do it every day. They do it with players whose only other options are Canada and sitting out a year. How much do you think salaries would be if these guys had to bid with each other? Al Davis caved to Jamarcus Russell because in the end, he decided that the guy's potential value made it worth the money. You might counter that Davis is nuts, but he's still an owner, and his actions set a price point... would you have liked to have bid against him for Roethlisberger?

You have to look at opinions other than your own with some kind of objectivity.

Al Davis never caved to anybody in his life. He never believed that Russell's potential value made it worth the money. He knows that by the Raiders having the worst record the previous season, he HAS to pay some kid an exorbitant amount of $$$. He had to make a business decision in the end.

His options were:
1 refuse the contract demands and lose the #1 overall pick who would go into the next years draft.
2. Try and trade the pick( but nobody wants to trade for that big contract, big uncertainty, big cap hit). Why do you think nobody trades up to the top 5 for a player anymore????3. Pay the market rate that was established by the union, agents and players that signed contracts as the #2-30 picks.

There was no bidding for Roethlisberger.......he was the 3rd QB taken because he was a 3 year jr. from the MAC that played 1 year of HS quarterback.

To answer your question of how big will the salaries be if they had to bid for each other.....its impossible to answer in a salary cap environment because all teams have limitations of the cap. Your are either naive in not understanding there is a cap or are asking to hypothetically remove the cap.

Look at MLB. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays paid #1 overall pick David price a $11.25 million, 6 year contract. They dont have a salary cap to my knowledge and instead teams will pay proven veterans more than drafted rookies. Curt Schilling makes more in 1 season than Price will make in that 6 year contract.

Forget politics of attacking somebody from a conservative or liberal point of view in negotiating salaries. Collective bargaining and labour negotiations are independant of what party you support.

tony hipchest
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
so in guessing mendenhalls contract, i figure its useless to base it on the deal timmons got last year at #16, and what qb flacco (#18) got today 5yr/30 mil.

heres a good reference point-

2004 steven jackson was the 24th pick (i think he was the 2nd rb taken overall) and signed a 5 year/7mil deal. add 10-15% to that for every year since then, and we should be in the ballpark for mendenhall.

fansince'76
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM

2004 steven jackson was the 24th pick (i think he was the 2nd rb taken overall) and signed a 5 year/7mil deal. add 10-15% to that for every year since then, and we should be in the ballpark for mendenhall.

So anywhere from 5 years at $10.25 mil (at 10% per year inflation since '04) to $12.24 mil (at 15%).

Steeldude
07-18-2008, 01:58 AM
whatever mendenhall gets will be too much.

Galax Steeler
07-18-2008, 03:32 AM

I think that sounds about right or say 5 years 10 mill. these guys are making way to much money and I think a cap should be put on rookies instead of letting them make these huge contracts.

Vis
07-18-2008, 03:50 AM
Simple.

Because it is a union.

When I was hired in a union job in the phone company a few years ago, I couldn't bid for the job. I had to accept what they told me they were going to pay me, since the union negotiated it. Period. end of story.

NFLPA is a union. If they negotiate a rookie salary, that is it.

Is that un-american? Sure is. what does that say about unions? :sofunny:

But were you not free to say no, I won't work there? Yes. And that is all they are free to do but they have to sit out a year to do it. You could have gotten another job at your pleasure.

This is an arms length negotiation between a sophisticated business owner and a sophisticated agent. I bet neither of them whines that it is unfair. Sweed and Mendenhall would be idiots to do anything but tell their agents "go do what you do."

Elvis
07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I think that sounds about right or say 5 years 10 mill. these guys are making way to much money and I think a cap should be put on rookies instead of letting them make these huge contracts.
Good point Galax, I think that it says all that I would have said.
I do think that the league needs a rookie salary cap though.
:tt02:

Preacher
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Collective bargaining is legal, and collective bargaining is also capitalism. Give me ANY grounds on which people cannot bargain collectively. You don't have to LIKE unions. but if it weren't for unions, we would not be as well off as we are today.

A bunch of talented guys who can't be replaced want to band together and set the price of their services to 32 billionaires? Give me a break. Before the NFLPA, these guys had to get jobs in the off season, they were paid so little. You seem to think that business owners are beneficent fathers; they'd pay these guys $6.25 an hour if they thought they could, and they'd keep ticket prices right where they are, too.

You are side-stepping the point upon which you are arguing... why should a rookies' salary be limited.

The answer is simple. Because they are part of a union. Thus, management should demand that limit... and the union cave, or they lock the players out.

And that WONT happen, because the vets will QUICKLY realize, that it means more money available for them.

lilyoder6
07-18-2008, 04:05 PM
el-gonza ur statement about the mlb is wrong.. there is no such team called the tampa bay devil rays.. but other than that i do see ur point.. but u rly can't compare the 2 sports.. u don't put ur body thru the same intense work-out like nfl players do.. and the games are totally dif.. spec pitchers.. who pitch 1 out of 5 games

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
el-gonza ur statement about the mlb is wrong.. there is no such team called the tampa bay devil rays.. but other than that i do see ur point.. but u rly can't compare the 2 sports.. u don't put ur body thru the same intense work-out like nfl players do.. and the games are totally dif.. spec pitchers.. who pitch 1 out of 5 games

I get it. I'm just responding to the question of "what do you think salaries would be if players could offer their services to the highest bidder?"

MLB has a system where there is no cap and no benchmark for rookie salaries have been established that are higher than established veterans like there are in the NFL.

To say the comparison between the 2 sports is not feasable because of wear and tear on the body and need to exclude pitchers is incorrect. JD Drew makes more than Curt Schilling annually.(I just used Schlling as a similar salary figure to Price) MLB rosters are less than 53 men, so arguably more $$ to spread around, yet they dont pay unproven rookie draft picks the large amounts that the NFL teams do.

Bottom line is owners are happy not to have to pay what the top 5 or 10 draft picks in the NFL will command and if they didnt have an established benchmark, they would pay more like MLB owners.

slashsteel
07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Steeldude whatever mendenhall gets will be too much.

You backload the contract and by the time it starts to kick in you would hope he is starting. :tt02:

HometownGal
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/EdgarBergenMortimerSnertStageDoorCanteen.jpg