PDA

View Full Version : Maddox gets the nod...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2005, 03:34 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_395329.html

Maddox gets nod in Baltimore

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 17, 2005

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger likely will not start Sunday against the Ravens in Baltimore, giving way to veteran Tommy Maddox.
Roethlisberger participated in a portion of practice Wednesday, but his injured right knee, which required arthroscopic surgery Nov. 3 to repair a torn lateral meniscus, will force him to miss his third consecutive game.

Roethlisberger doesn't expect the knee to be 100 percent healthy by Sunday.

"Honestly speaking, probably not," Roethlisberger said. "But that doesn't mean you can't play if you are not 100 percent."

A day earlier, coach Bill Cowher made it clear that he would not risk Roethlisberger's future if the young quarterback is not at full health.

"We're certainly not going to bring him back and set him back in the process just to win a football game this week," Cowher said.

Roethlisberger did not argue with Cowher's reasoning.

"It is important to be healthy," said Roethlisberger. "Like Coach Cowher said, if you go out there too early and you hurt it, then it negates the whole purpose of having the surgery. We are going to be smart."

Maddox will make his second start of the season, with hopes of avoiding another four-turnover performance like the one he had in an overtime loss to Jacksonville in Week 5.

Asked if his confidence had taken a hit after the Jacksonville defeat, after which he endured a firestorm of criticism by Steelers followers, Maddox was less than emphatic.

"You know ... It's hard to say," said Maddox. "I would say no. Obviously, any time you don't play the way you think you should or if you play poorly, you're anxious to get back out there. And if you don't get a chance to get right back out, it kind of sits on you for a little bit.

"I've been around for a long time and been through a lot of different situations, so it's not where you're going to let just one game ruin your confidence. You want to get out there and get off to a good start and get rolling again. But I don't feel it's a confidence issue."

Maddox, who said his once-ailing throwing shoulder is healthy, is 15-15-1 as a Steelers starter. His return to Baltimore this weekend is sure to jog memories of what turned out to be an indelibly career-altering moment. He injured his throwing elbow in the second half against the Ravens and gave way to Roethlisberger, who never relinquished the starting job and went 13-0 as a starter in his rookie season.

Maddox has played in just four more games since that that game, and is 28 of 60 for 296 yards with two touchdowns and five interceptions.

"I guess it'd make a good story," Maddox said of his return to Baltimore. "It would give y'all something to write about. But it's another game against another tough opponent, and you got to go out there and play well."

Despite a 2-7 record and four-game losing streak, the Ravens rank first in the AFC and third in the NFL in total defense. They were successful in slowing Roethlisberger, the NFL's top-rated passer, in a 20-19 loss to the Steelers two weeks ago at Heinz Field.

Roethlisberger was 18 of 30 for 177 yards with two touchdowns and an interception against a Ravens team that held the Steelers to 261 total yards. The Steelers were 4 of 12 on third-down conversions.

Hines Ward believes Maddox's recent dificulties on the field won't hinder his performance Sunday.

"You can't base everything off one game," Ward said. "There are a lot of things that went on in that (Jacksonville) game. It wasn't just Tommy. We could've passed a lot better; we could've made some plays in the passing game for him. The weather conditions were against him. As players, we don't fault Tommy and I'd be the first one to say that he's a great quarterback. I had some great years with Tommy."

Prosdo
11-17-2005, 03:45 AM
A little nervous about Tommy playing, but got to give him the chance to redeem himself. Come on Tommy show us the Jacksonville game was just a bad day!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
"I guess it'd make a good story," Maddox said of his return to Baltimore. "It would give y'all something to write about. But it's another game against another tough opponent, and you got to go out there and play well."

yep buddy, we're countin on ya !!! u can do it !!!

bengalsfan21
11-17-2005, 08:12 AM
this is a relief now the Bengals can enjoy first place again :cheers:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2005, 12:45 PM
****,Turnover Tommy better redeem himself,because if he has a relapse of the Jacksonville game,we're ****ed.

Luckily if we lose this week,so do the Playful Housecats so we're all good.

pitt
11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Tommy is going to have a good game this week.

clevestinks
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
We will win! We will win! We will win!

Suitanim
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
We need:

50 carries out of the RB's
A ST score
A defensive score
Tommy to attempt 10 passes, none longer than 7-10 yards. If only 2 of those are INT's, we'll win (I figure for every 10 he throws, 4 will just pathetically sputter into the ground, 2 will be close enough for a WR to catch, 2 will be out of bounds, and 2 will be right to a DB)

Tim
11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't know what's worse Tommy's obvious lack of confidence or his massive state of denial. Anyone with working eyes could see how defeated he looked out there against Cleveland.

clevestinks
11-17-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know what's worse Tommy's obvious lack of confidence or his massive state of denial. Anyone with working eyes could see how defeated he looked out there against Cleveland.

This is true! Everybody is probably in agreement with that. But he wears a Steelers logo on the side of his hemet, he is our qb this week, so Go Tommy

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2005, 04:24 PM
The last hope upon which we can rely is that Maddox will not need to worry about being booed the first time he screws up in a road game and will not press to start the game. Instead, Maddox will fall apart after his first interception :)

Of greater concern to me is that if Ben is not healthy enough to start he should be deactivated for Sunday. If he is uniform, it will be tough for Cowher not to put in Ben if Tommy Gun once again does not move the team and the Steelers fall behind.

There was talk about resigning Kordell, but the P-G confirmed that Kordell left town with a fair amount of bitterness and is in no mood to return, a sentiment apparently shared by St. Pierre, who would rather carry a clipboard in Baltimore.

Although it is difficult to assume you will ever be down to your 3rd string QB as the starter, going with Maddox gives me a bad feeling about this coming Sunday.

figg
11-17-2005, 04:35 PM
It's official http://media3.steelers.com/article/59362/ :rolleyes:

I.C. Lights
11-17-2005, 06:16 PM

:iagree:

The Cleveland situation was awkward - he was just demoted to 3rd string and had to come in at halftime to follow a solid performance from the guy that just took his job. All of this in front of fans who have been on his behind since the Jax game.

This game is different. He knows he's our guy this game, he doesn't have to worry about Batch taking his job, and he doesn't have to deal with adversity from the home fans.

Granted, he might still go out there and be terrible, but mentally, he should be a lot better off this time.

Ambridge
11-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I hate to say it but with Maddox being the starter against Baltimore I'm putting this game in "L Column". :shake01:

If Ben can play then Cowher should have him starting.
This whole situation of holding Ben out has the potential to blow up in Cowher's face.
First off...I don't see Maddox playing worth a hill of beans in Baltimore which pretty much equates to giving the game away before it's even played IMO.
Secondly...I would assume Ben will start against the Colts the following week on MNF.
That's a helluva game for Ben to come back and try and shake off three weeks of rust.

Being overly conservative with Ben's injury could end up costing the Steelers two big games.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2005, 07:38 PM
I hate to say it but with Maddox being the starter against Baltimore I'm putting this game in "L Column". :shake01:

If Ben can play then Cowher should have him starting.
This whole situation of holding Ben out has the potential to blow up in Cowher's face.
First off...I don't see Maddox playing worth a hill of beans in Baltimore which pretty much equates to giving the game away before it's even played IMO.
Secondly...I would assume Ben will start against the Colts the following week on MNF.
That's a helluva game for Ben to come back and try and shake off three weeks of rust.

Being overly conservative with Ben's injury could end up costing the Steelers two big games.

I agree here.Let Ben shake off rust in this game.He needs to get his timing back with Hines and El.

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2005, 08:13 PM
You can't shake off rust until you are healthy enough to shake. The Ravens game is not a playoff status game that merits risking Ben for the rest of the season by either: 1) Ben getting hurt again; and/or 2) Ben never being fully healed for the rest of the year because he is rushed back too soon (such as was the case when Kendrell Bell was rushed back for the New England opener in 2002 and reinjured his ankle, resulting in his effective loss for most of 2002).

If Ben is not healthy enough to start he should not even be activated; what will blow up in Cowher's face is if he plays Ben in relief on Sunday and Ben gets hurt.

Allow Ben to recuperate, shake off the rust in the Colts game when he can use his legs, and have Ben back at full speed and rust free for the absolutely crucial Bengals game.

Even if the Steelers lose to Indy and Baltimore, they will win the division at 12-4 if they win the rest of the schedule and Cincy loses to Indy (my pick on Sunday) or, for that matter, KC.

Ambridge
11-17-2005, 08:58 PM
You can't shake off rust until you are healthy enough to shake. The Ravens game is not a playoff status game that merits risking Ben for the rest of the season by either: 1) Ben getting hurt again; and/or 2) Ben never being fully healed for the rest of the year because he is rushed back too soon (such as was the case when Kendrell Bell was rushed back for the New England opener in 2002 and reinjured his ankle, resulting in his effective loss for most of 2002).

If Ben is not healthy enough to start he should not even be activated; what will blow up in Cowher's face is if he plays Ben in relief on Sunday and Ben gets hurt.

Allow Ben to recuperate, shake off the rust in the Colts game when he can use his legs, and have Ben back at full speed and rust free for the absolutely crucial Bengals game.

Even if the Steelers lose to Indy and Baltimore, they will win the division at 12-4 if they win the rest of the schedule and Cincy loses to Indy (my pick on Sunday) or, for that matter, KC.

If Ben's status is 90-95% then I don't think that is rushing him back too soon and no the game against the Ravens is not a playoff status game but it does give the Steelers a golden opportunity to go up a game on the Bengals if they lose on Sunday to Indy.

Do we even want to go over the scenario if Cincy should beat the Colts and we lose the next two weeks to both Balt. and Indy??
The game against the Ravens is a little more important than it appears on the surface and Tommy Maddox is just waiting to have a "Jacksonville-Part Deux" type of game against the Ravens.

Suitanim
11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Didn't we sign Rutherford? Granted, he's not the second coming of Montana, but he can put some zip on the ball...If Maddox is clearly losing the game, Cowher needs to pull the trigger and try to spark the O any way he can.

I'm with Ambridge on this one...I'd like to think that Maddox has something left, but judging by his arm strength, I think it's just over...

I hope like Hell he proves me wrong...

Randle el#82
11-17-2005, 10:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Maddox is to start , im prayin he does good:pissed:

SteelerFanInATL
11-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Come on Tommy show us the Jacksonville game was just a bad day![/QUOTE]

I would like to echo that. Tommy is better than what he has shown and deserves our support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suitanim
11-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Actually, Tommy does not DESERVE our support...he will get our support because he is the last man standing, and the only other choice is to root against him.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2005, 09:05 AM
P-G says Ben will be (sort of) the #2 QB on Sunday:

"In all likelihood, he will be in uniform against the Ravens (2-7) but will not play unless there are injuries to Maddox and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who will unofficially be the backup quarterback in Baltimore. Randle El, a former college quarterback at Indiana, has been getting a lot of work this week at quarterback and has been splitting his time attending wide receiver and quarterback meetings."

With Maddox being a statue in the pocket and Marvel Smith doubtful, it could be
Air Randle-El by the second half.

Suitanim
11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Oh no! Does that mean Barrett Brooks is starting at LT?