PDA

View Full Version : The SEC

Pages : [1] 2

RoethlisBURGHer
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Okay, I was "talking" (more like wanting to smash in the head with a brick) with a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks who lives near me.

He was spouting off how Ohio State, and the rest of the Big 10 for that matter fears the SEC and that's why they don't schedule Out Of Conference (OOC) games with SEC teams.

I responded that the problem isn't the Big 10, but it's the SEC schools not wanting to travel out of the south.

Ohio State will gladly play anyone OOC. They try to schedule at least one OOC game with someone where it'll be a challenge [Texas twice, Washington (were scheduled back when they were good), USC this year and next, Miami after that].

I have heard that they tried to get some home-and-home series (that's the only way they'll do it, the other school has to come to Columbus once) with a few SEC schools, but they all refused to do the game in Columbus.

I have noticed that the SEC teams rarley leave the south, and when they do they normally play in California/Nevada/Arizona where the weather is still nice. It seems they don't like to be away from the SEC fan base, and if they are they have to be gauranteed good weather...something you are not gauranteed in the north.

I would say the SEC is afraid of having to play too far out of SEC territory and that they are afraid of playing in elements other than sunshine.

St33lersguy
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow!!! Great point. Do they feel like they will lose for some reason in those conditions or is it that they are afraid even if it is against a team that sucks.

SteelCityMan786
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Alabama grew a set and will come north in 2011 to Happy Valley. Looks like Mr. Saban wants to see how the SEC Show does up North.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
not an SEC team..but I'm a bit of a Clemson fan, and I remember reading they were actually sorta excited to play up in Boise for the Smurf Turf Bowl because they'd be able to play in the snow.

Alabama-Penn State should be a classic.

CantStop85
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
What...you mean Kentucky isn't far enough north for you? lol

revefsreleets
07-16-2008, 05:08 PM
You were correct Roeth. OSU requested home/away games with Florida, and the Gators told then in no uncertain terms that they would not play OSU in a home/away series. This was under Geiger as the AD. He would not disclose which other SEC schools also refused, but there were others. And OSU has no interest in playing any ooc teams other than top notch, top 25 talent, so it wasn't Vandy.

Tress was on Rome yesterday (although there was some guy filling for Jim). The guy asked Tressel point-blank why he schedules games that most coaches won't, and his answer was a classic. He said these kind of ooc home/away games are perfect because they create NC buzz early, are great big game experiences for the kids, definitely help with sos, and are great for the zillion and a half OSU alumni everywhere in the country. He pointed out in particular the OSU/USC game in week 3 this year. Will there be another game of anywhere near that magnitude played in September anywhere else? No effing way! It's brilliant and I love the fact that my Bucks policy is anyone, anywhere, anytime.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
You were correct Roeth. OSU requested home/away games with Florida, and the Gators told then in no uncertain terms that they would not play OSU in a home/away series. This was under Geiger as the AD. He would not disclose which other SEC schools also refused, but there were others. And OSU has no interest in playing any ooc teams other than top notch, top 25 talent, so it wasn't Vandy.

Tress was on Rome yesterday (although there was some guy filling for Jim). The guy asked Tressel point-blank why he schedules games that most coaches won't, and his answer was a classic. He said these kind of ooc home/away games are perfect because they create NC buzz early, are great big game experiences for the kids, definitely help with sos, and are great for the zillion and a half OSU alumni everywhere in the country. He pointed out in particular the OSU/USC game in week 3 this year. Will there be another game of anywhere near that magnitude played in September anywhere else? No effing way! It's brilliant and I love the fact that my Bucks policy is anyone, anywhere, anytime.

I love the fact that JT has no problem playing anyone because it shows that he's not afraid of potentially losing a shot at playing for the NC by losing that big game. It shows a tremendous faith in his players ability.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Why should superior teams set up away and home games? When Ohio state plays youngstown i never see them playing at YSU. If you want to play us come on down or does ohio state still have a bitter taste after the last two national championship games. get real the big ten blows. whats their record in BCS games? the big east won more bowl games than the big ten last year.

Sun Belt (1) Fla. Atlantic 1-0 1.000
MWC (5) AF,BYU,NM,TCU,Utah 4-1 .800
SEC (9) Ala,Ark,Aub,Fla,Ga,Ky,LSU,MissSt,Ten 7-2 .778
Pac-10 (6) ASU,Cal,Ore,OSU,UCLA,USC 4-2 .667
Big East (5) Cin,Rut,UConn,USF,WV 3-2 .600
Big 12 (8) CU,KU,Mis,OU,OSU,Tex,TexA&M,TT 5-3 .625
Big Ten (8) Ill,Ind,Mich,MichSt,OSU,PSU,Pur,Wis 3-5 .375
C-USA (6) EC,Hou,Mem,SMiss,Tul,UCF 2-4 .333
ACC (8) BC,Clem,FSU,GT,Mary,UVa.,VT,WF 2-6 .250
WAC (4) BSU,FresSt,Haw,Nev 1-3 .250
Independents (1) Navy 0-1 .000
MAC (3) BallSt,BG,CMich 0-3 .000

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
i will copy another of post - but lets face i am a UGA fan. On our schedule we play the past two national champions a top 10 ASU program. when can we get OSU on our schedule? should we sneak them in between the back to back games between LSU and Florida. we are already playing the toughest schedule in the country this year.
last season OSU did not beat a team that finished in the AP Top 15. the big ten lacks a championship game further watering down their strenght of schedule. Since OSU failed to beat a top 15 team, THEY HAVE TO go out of conference to play quality competition.

Tennesee and OSU are in discussion about a home and away game. I think it may already be on the books.

We do play out conference games, we (uga) are going to play a top 10 Arizona State at Arizona State.

The biggest reason the Top SEC schools do not travel north to OSU or michigan is because we get all of the competition we need in our own conference. Once you throw in the confernce championship game its brutal. look at our schedule for 08. we have two cupcakes to start the season. Georgia southern is like playing youngstown state, then central michigan (MAC Champions). but then we get cooking playing at South Carolina, going to Arizona State, then Alabama at home, then Tennesee at home, at Vanderbilt (but dam they have played us really tough the past two seasons, beating us once), then to LSU (you guys at OSU have heard of them - we might get stuck playing them at night at home when the are pratically unbeatable), the very next week we play Florida(another team that demolished OSU), then we go to kentucky, then we go Auburn, then wrap it up with Gatech. IF we win our division we looking at a rematch with either alabama, auburn, or LSU.

So where do we schedule that OSU game. As of right now based on the preason top 25 - 50% of our games are agianst top 25 teams - We play 3 teams in the top 10 Florida, LSU, and Arizona State.

Sat, Aug 30 Georgia Southern Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Central Michigan Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 13 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. 3:30 p.m.
Sat, Sep 20 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m. ABC
Sat, Sep 27 Alabama * Athens, Ga TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Tennessee * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Vanderbilt - Homecoming * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 25 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La. TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Florida * at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Kentucky * at Lexington, Ky. TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
Sat, Nov 29 Georgia Tech Athens, Ga. TBA

The last two BCS title games cleary demostrated what happens when the two best teams from the SEC and big ten play each other. We simply kick their butts. You big ten guys are starting to sound like browns fan .

revefsreleets
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Bleep blop bloop. YSU is a favor...get over it. OSU has NEVER played a D1-AA team before, and they never will again. They also cannot control how tough the BIg Ten is year to year, and there were years when the Big Ten was the toughest conference in the country, and, guess what, there will be years again soon when it is again. It's all cyclical. So because OSU has tough ooc games scheduled for the next 14 years, do you think they will cancel them under the "SEC we already play too tough a schedule crybaby rule".

No, they won't.

Want to know why you should play a tough ooc schedule? So you don't end up like Auburn, playing Citadel and Coastal Carolina and going undefeated and missing the NC game. They deserved what they got, and it is their own fault (and the fault of any other SEC team hiding under the cover of how tough their in-conference schedule is) that they didn't have the resume to play in the big game. Also, what happens when the SEC has a down year (and they will have down years). Those games against Middle-Tennessee State and East Carolina don't look so sweet when Alabama is 5-7 and Tennessee is 6-6.

The facts are facts. OSU asked, and the teams pussed out and said no. You can type any excuse you like, but it will NEVER change the fact that there is no other program in all of D1 football that schedules tougher ooc games than OSU.

Finally, OSU was rebuilding last year. REBUILDING. They have 25 returning seniors this year, and 40 players who have been in the program for 4+ years. They will be a force to be reckoned with this year, regardless of blind hatred against them.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
if OSU was rebuilding last year what happened agianst Florida two years ago... You are right why bother scheduling D1-AA when you can schedule Minnesota, Purdue, Ohio, and Northwestern. I guess Akron, Washington, and Kent played you guys too tough last year so you took them off of the 08 schedule. It took a coach who could not hack it in the SEC to be a rising star in the Big 10 to make illinois respectable, but they really looked good agianst USC in the Rose Bowl. Its been a long time since the Big 10 was worth a dam. It just took awhile for the national media to catch on or maybe it was LSU and Florida running all over them.

revefsreleets
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Bullshit. OSU was the better team, they just got caught and outcoached against Florida. It happens. Look what happened to Florida against Michigan.

LSU was the better team last year, and it showed.

OSU plays in state games against D1 teams. It's smart. It keeps the money in state. Some MAC teams are pretty good, and they are MUCH better than the constant flow of bottom feeding garbage that most SEC teams scheule for their warm-up games. Cincinnati is in the mix, too...of course they hardly rank with powerhouses like Western Illinois, Louisiana Monroe, Tennesse Martin, Citadel, Norfolk State, Western Kentucky, North Texas, Samford, Southeastern Louisiana, Wofford, Wyoming and Rice. (All actual SEC scheduled creampuff games in 08)

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
They can be in state D1 games but they are still as Cupcake as you can get. Michigan was playing for their coach and it was a fluke, but florida did just whip you guys, it had nothing to do with coaching, but on second thought i guess, maybe it does, OSU coaches are not challenge on a weekly basis so when they did play a team that had equal talent (or as you imply less talent) they actually had to work up a game plan. i guess the sweater could not handle it.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
If you want to compare out of conference games look at these teams that big 10 teams play this season

western kentucky, louisana Lafayette, Murray State, Ball State, Maine?, Utah, florida atlantic, northern illinos, bowling green, montana state, duke, southern illinois, ohio (big in state rival for OSU), youngstown state (another big in state rival), coastal carolina, temple, northern colorado, central michigan (the dogs do play them but revsteelers insist that the MAC is tough competition), akron, marhsall, freso state, and cal poly....

CantStop85
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Bullshit. OSU was the better team, they just got caught and outcoached against Florida.

To me, it looked a lot worse than just being outcoached. :noidea:

revefsreleets
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
To me, it looked a lot worse than just being outcoached. :noidea:

This is one thing that I will never be dissuaded of...I mean the clouds could part and Jesus himself could come down and tell me that that Florida team was better than that OSU team, I'd tell him he was crazy.

OSU was never challenged that year, they had no idea how to play from behind, they had too much swagger and not enough guts. Florida came out, razzle-dazzled them and literally knocked them out in the first Rd. Smith was all out of sorts when Ginn got injured, Tress was rattled (Tress going for it on 4th down in his own territory? Are you KIDDING me?), the defense played on it's heels, and Florida never let up. They ran about 3 conventional offensive plays the whole first half, and THAT was what ate OSU's defense up. Too much was made of the team speed of Florida, and not enough was made of the fact that OSU gave up on it's own style of football. It was BRILLIANT coaching, and the players executed the gameplan to perfection.

But no way in a million years, pound for pound, that that Florida team was better. Position by position OSU was more talented, and that will bear out as far as NFL careers and whatnot. That should not detract from what Florida did, but SEC fans are arrogant almost as a rule and want it to be all about superiority. What made that win truly remarkable was the fact that a team as talented as OSU could be punked as badly by a team that was NOT as talented as them. It was a masterful performance by the Gators.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
The question was why wont most SEC teams travel to the northern states to play?

Is it being too far away from SEC country? The fact that most of the season, the northern teams play in bad weather?

Like I said earlier, Ohio State will glady play SEC teams in the OOC schedule, but they will only do it in a home-and-home fashion. Why travel down to Georgia, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc when none of them will return the favor and come up to Columbus and play? It's only fair.

Everyone schedules cupcakes in OOC. Ohio State is no different. Nobody is going to play a four Top 25 teams outside of the conference schedule, that's assinine. However OSU will normally schedule one team that's Top 25 in OOC.

When we scheduled Washington for last year, they were winning the Pac-10 and were projected as a team that would consistantly be a Top 25 team for a long time. Obviously that didn't happen.

Lord Stiller
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Ohio State got their friggin ass beat big time

fansince'76
07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
:popcorn:

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM

From a Georgia fan - there is nothing to gain from it. We have the best overall conference. We make more money than any other conference. We have won more BCS titles than any other conference. Georgia is already playing a schedule with over 50% of its oppenents ranked in the top 25. Why bother. With the conference championship we generally play 3 top 10 games a year - not including the bowl game.

"Why travel down to Georgia, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc when none of them will return the favor and come up to Columbus and play? It's only fair."

Who cares if its fair. Is it fair that the Big 10 refuses to take part in a college playoff? Is it fair that OSU played in the tilte game without beating a SINGLE team in the AP top 15? Is it fair that the SEC and Big 12 have conference champiohsip games and the Big 10 doesn't?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2008, 01:33 PM

From a Georgia fan - there is nothing to gain from it. We have the best overall conference. We make more money than any other conference. We have won more BCS titles than any other conference. Georgia is already playing a schedule with over 50% of its oppenents ranked in the top 25. Why bother. With the conference championship we generally play 3 top 10 games a year - not including the bowl game.

"Why travel down to Georgia, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc when none of them will return the favor and come up to Columbus and play? It's only fair."

Who cares if its fair. Is it fair that the Big 10 refuses to take part in a college playoff? Is it fair that OSU played in the tilte game without beating a SINGLE team in the AP top 15? Is it fair that the SEC and Big 12 have conference champiohsip games and the Big 10 doesn't?

A lot of the conference's money comes from those championship games. It's not the Big 10's fault that the SEC, Big 12, and ACC have decided to go for the big bucks and expand large enough to do a conference championship game. That choice came down to the schools and the conferences that have them. That is not about fairness, that's about the choice to expand enough and have one or the choice not to.

The home-and-home fairness is the fact that Ohio State spends a good chunk of their budget sending the team to another school to play OOC and Ohio State sees very little proceeds from that trip. Therefore, the team the play makes a trip to Columbus where Ohio State gets most of the proceeds from that game, kind of recouping the loss from going to the other school.

Florida had no problem whatsoever playing tOSU OOC, but they wouldn't return the favor and come to Columbus for the game.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
i think the big 10 refuses to have a championship game out of fear that i could knock a team out of the BCS championship game. It has happened to schools from the SEC but it appears to have the opposite effect more often - propelling a team by raising the strenght of schedule of team after it wins. i would have to argue about the proceeds for coming down south. i am sure they would pay well. just like you have to Ohio and YSU for those games.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
i think the big 10 refuses to have a championship game out of fear that i could knock a team out of the BCS championship game. It has happened to schools from the SEC but it appears to have the opposite effect more often - propelling a team by raising the strenght of schedule of team after it wins. i would have to argue about the proceeds for coming down south. i am sure they would pay well. just like you have to Ohio and YSU for those games.

We've tried to get Notre Dame to join..and they've wussed out on us a bunch..66

Following the addition of previously independent Penn State, efforts were made to encourage the University of Notre Dame, the last remaining traditionally independent football powerhouse, to join the league. Early in the 20th century, Notre Dame had sought official entry into the Big Ten but was never extended an invitation.[16] However, in 1999, both Notre Dame and the Big Ten entered into private negotiations concerning a possible membership that would include Notre Dame. Although the Notre Dame faculty senate endorsed the idea with a near unanimous vote, the ND board of trustees decided against joining the conference and Notre Dame ultimately withdrew from negotiations. [2] Though the idea has been revisited in the wake of the Atlantic Coast Conference's expansion to 12 teams, neither Notre Dame nor the Big Ten has taken any official action in pursuit of Notre Dame's membership. Notre Dame had, in 1995, joined the Big East Conference in all sports except football, men's lacrosse, and men's hockey, the latter for which there is no Big East Conference.

Other possible universities that have gained favor for any possible expansion for the 12th spot in the conference include:

* Rutgers University[17][18]
* Syracuse University[17][18]
* University of Missouri[18]
* University of Nebraska[18]
* University of Pittsburgh[19]
* West Virginia University [20]

Due to a requirement of the Big Ten bylaws, any expansion must be within, or next to, current Big Ten territory (although, like all bylaws, this could be amended by conference vote). Due to the addition of the Big Ten Network, expansion talks have been revisited. Expansion could mean adding a conference championship football game and adding a school in or near a large TV market, greatly aiding the Big Ten Network's marketability[17]. It is likely academics will also play an important role in any potential 12th school being invited into the conference.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I am sure that notre dame does not want to give up that NBC money. You could try to add Pitt but Penn State might not like it. A logical choice would be Marshall or another MAC team. I doubt you can get a Big East or a Big 12 team but the Big East may be the easiest of the two to poach a team from.

The Big 10 has been slow to modernise (besides the tv network).

The ACC was allowed to have a championship game with 11 teams until they added the 12th. You guys have a nice conference with a hell of team on top with OSU but you lack the overall conference depth.

atlsteelers
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
UGA has worked out deals with schools were instead of playing a home and away series UGA gets 2 home games and play one away. We did this Oklahoma State. I am not sure how we got the Arizona State game. If it was up to me i would fire the schedule maker. why the heck schedule that game. we play a 8 pm (arizona time) saturday game then have to come back and play alabama the next weekend. you guys play at USC and get troy the following saturday, beware they will play you very close altough their offensive coordinator left for Auburn but thats a game that might get ya. I know its nice and all to have these OOC games but unless we have a playoff system it can really hurt a team. Look how the OSU team cruised through a soft schedule last year (with a loss) and made it the title game. If i had a choice thats what i would choose over these difficult games. Think if you did not have to play that USC game you would have golden path to the BCS title. You still have the path of least resistance, you can lose to USC and easliy make it back to the title game.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
UGA has worked out deals with schools were instead of playing a home and away series UGA gets 2 home games and play one away. We did this Oklahoma State. I am not sure how we got the Arizona State game. If it was up to me i would fire the schedule maker. why the heck schedule that game. we play a 8 pm (arizona time) saturday game then have to come back and play alabama the next weekend. you guys play at USC and get troy the following saturday, beware they will play you very close altough their offensive coordinator left for Auburn but thats a game that might get ya. I know its nice and all to have these OOC games but unless we have a playoff system it can really hurt a team. Look how the OSU team cruised through a soft schedule last year (with a loss) and made it the title game. If i had a choice thats what i would choose over these difficult games. Think if you did not have to play that USC game you would have golden path to the BCS title. You still have the path of least resistance, you can lose to USC and easliy make it back to the title game.

I would love a playoff system, but that would get rid of the bowls and all that money and I think that's a big reason why there is no playoff.

I really wish the B10 could get a 12th team and do a conference championship game. But I think the Big 10 doesn't want to poach away a team from another conference like the ACC did with the Big East and then the Big East did to Conference USA.

Also, there are the academic bylaws required to join the Big 10. I forget what the big one is, something about research I think, but it has disqualified a few schools.

I would absolutley LOVE to get Notre Dame in the conference. But they don't wanna give up that NBC money nore the special BCS rules that apply to them because they aren't in a conference.

And btw atlsteelers...there is only one SEC team I ever root for and that is Georgia.

atlsteelers
07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I gotta watch myself - because Georgia's loaded with talent this year - this is in all likely hood the greatest (talent wise) Georgia team in my memory (i lived in PA when UGA won their last title in the early 80s and was too young to remeber anyways). If we somehow survive our brutal schedule and make it to the BCS title and we get matched up with OSU and all of my sh*t talking will come back and bite me in the ass if OSU wins that game.

revefsreleets
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Continually bagging on the current state of the Big ten makes no sense. Again, when the SEC takes a shit as a conference (and they will again), and one of the top teams misses the NC game for playing nothing but creampuffs, your entire argument will crumble.Conversely, since OSU has these tough ooc games scheduled for the next couple decades, what happens when the Big Ten resurges and has 4 or 5 (or more) top 25 teams (and it WILL happen again)? Do we use the same BS excuse the SEC teams do?

Of course we don't. We can't, because we aren't afraid to schedule tough ooc year after year and don't hide behind empty excuses about in-conference strength.

Until the Big Ten adds a twelth team, there will NEVER be a conference championship game, nor should there be. Same goes for the Pac 10. That's just the way it is, and it makes very little sense to argue against the way it is.

Also, the argument that it is somehow OSU's fault that the Big Ten has had down years borders on retarded. What are they supposed to do, schedule more top 25 ooc games? Are they supposed to turn down future invites to the NC game? It all makes absolutely no sense, yet, here we are, arguing all the same old nonsense over and over again.

My question becomes, will OSU earn the respect they deserve when the Big Ten returns to prominence and they end up playing and beating a top ranked ooc team? If they run the table this year, beat #1 USC on the road, and win the NC game, are people STILL going to bag on them?

Finally, as far as championships based on conferences, I found this:

Now, if you take the current conference memberships and assign all individual team championships to the CURRENT conference, rather the conference membership at the time the championship was won, then the current membership of the Big 12 leads all conferences with 16. The Big 10 and SEC are tied for second at 13.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Okay, I was "talking" (more like wanting to smash in the head with a brick) with a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks who lives near me.

:rofl: USC 70 Arkansas 17
USC 50 Arkansas 15 And the games weren't even that close.

:poke: Ohhh Buckeye fan. The eight-week countdown starts today. It's almost time to sharpen the keys on the keyboard and grease up the mouse. Not quite yet.

But dude. Talking to SEC fan is like talking to a DailyCos freakin' nut job. Blinded by reality. There is no honest debate just :blah:. The Razorbacks admitted that the 2006 USC game was the most important game in "school history" (their words) in response to the decapitation from 2005. And the Trojans brought the grill and roasted that pig whole. Their response to that...Stanford.

revefsreleets
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I know you love the Trojans to the point of delusion, dude, but who do you really think has the edge in that game? The TONS of senior leadership that have a HUGE chip on their shoulder after losing TWO back-to-back NC games or the coddled (yes, possibly superior) talent that runs to USC craving the spotlight?

Consider that USC has a long record of choking early under Carroll and it wouldn't surprise me if the Buckeyes beat the arrogance right out of those Trojans.

Of course the game is everything...and it won't be too long now.

atlsteelers
07-20-2008, 07:27 PM
USC vs OSU - it would be great if they both could lose that game.

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Either team would/will beat any team from the SEC this year. Georgia is talented, but they'll choke against some mid-tier SEC team. Happens every year.

atlsteelers
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Carson Palmer is tooo freakin funny. i can feel for him, i can not imagine all of the crap he hears from the overhyped OSU fans.

http://www.cavsboard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/carson_buckeyes.mp3

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Palmer is an ass, and this just shows what a tool he is. This would be like Ben coming out and dissing PSU (Which he would never, ever do). Note to Palmer: STFU, asshole. That kind of idiotic arrogance is reserved for redneck southerners from the SEC. They have an excuse (inbreeding and wearing jean shorts): You don't.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
07-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Palmer is an ass, and this just shows what a tool he is. This would be like Ben coming out and dissing PSU (Which he would never, ever do). Note to Palmer: STFU, asshole. That kind of idiotic arrogance is reserved for redneck southerners from the SEC. They have an excuse (inbreeding and wearing jean shorts): You don't.

LOL.:sofunny::sofunny:

atlsteelers
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
"I just can't wait for this game to get here, so they can come out to the Coliseum and experience L.A. and get an old-fashioned Pac-10 butt-whipping and go back to the Big Ten. I can't wait."

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Like the butt-whooping they handed to The Cardinal last year?

Ouch!

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
god SEC Fans drive me crazy. First off, I moved into SEC land 5 years ago and started to enjoy watching the local team, who happens to be The Arkansas Razorbacks. The Razorbacks have no business in the SEC. They play in North West Arkanas, get out a map and explain to me how playing against Florida, Alabama, Louisina (Middle of the effings tate) Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, makes more sense than playing in the Big 12, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri. The furthest road game would be Colorado. Stupid that they are in the SEC so a Razorback fan should just STFU and ask himself how well the home and home went against USC the last 2 seasons. I think the score in 2 games was something like 120 - 10. Ouch.

Next, the SEC in general. Every single year we hear about how "great" the SEC is top to bottom.

Really? Mississippi and Mississippi State both get smashed in the face by teams all around the country. Vandy has an ok year once about every 5 or 6 seasons then falls off the planet again. Tennessee shows up to play big boy ball every 3 years, and since they got punched in the face by Cal last season they haven't said crap. Kentucky wins one big game every 3rd season against its rival Louisville and is otherwise a joke. South Carolina, yeah, the old ball coach isn't quite living up to the hype now is he, have they won a single big game since he took over the coaching staff?

Georgia, the classic 10 win 1 choke team for the last I don't know, 15 years or so. Seems like every single season they choke one giant game away.

Auburn, how did that game at home against South Florida work out after all last season? Oh yeah, you were EMBARRESSED by a BIG EAST Team weren't you.

Alabama, how many players kicked off the team or arrested this week Mr Saben?

LSU, a 2 loss team in the title game. Sigh, what a joke. Not to mention it was a FCKING home game for them in New Orleans. Seriously, play that game in Ohio during January and tell me how good those Cajun boys do. Florida. That gimmick offense was exposed last season, they got kicked right in the nutts by Michigan in the last game they ever played. Fact is Fact. Michigan beat their arse.

Oh wow, the SEC won its bowls, bowls that are mostly played in the South by their home town fans. So basically they get home games. Lets see how well they do on the road. Go play up in Michigan in October. Or how about Washington in November when its raining and cold. Go play in the Dessert of Arizona in September.

Effing Cowards in the SEC talk about how "great" their conference is every single year BUT in reality, they are no different than all the other conferences. They have 2 or 3 great teams and the rest are DOGS that get kicked and beaten.

revefsreleets
07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow...I was just gonna call them jort wearin' inbred rednecks and leave it at that...

pittsburghp8baller
07-26-2008, 01:43 PM
yall really know who the best conference is in the country is right?

Thats right the WAC!!!

The Independents are looking good with the addition of Western Kentucky

Godfather
07-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow...I was just gonna call them jort wearin' inbred rednecks and leave it at that...

Don't judge us by Florida.

Godfather
07-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Go play in the Dessert of Arizona in September.

LSU has done that twice this decade (at Zona and at ASU). We won both games. We've also traveled to Blacksburg (didn't work out so well but we got major payback in Death Valley last year). We have home and homes scheduled against Washington and Oklahoma in the next few years.

We also skulldragged Miami in the Peach Bowl, which is a little too far from Baton Rouge to be a home game.

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Actually, the truth of that matter is that, slowly but surely, the SEC is starting to look "big picture" and getting over the insulting and insular view that "Our in conference schedule is enough". See: Auburn. No, it's not, not anymore.

The "problem" is that it will ultimately expose them as just the same as every other conference, in that they will have up and down years, and they will lose some ooc games, just like every other conference. You can't tell me that losing to Cal in September has any bearing at all on whether or not Tennessee is going to leave their guts on the field against Florida. In fact, an early ooc loss probably makes them play HARDER in conference because there's absolutely no room for error after one loss if you want to play for a NC (at least in most years). Fact is, what hurt Auburn when they missed out was partially fixed by tougher ooc scheduling by the SEC overall. A 2 loss LSU team made it into the big game last year because the SEC IS finally starting to play some big ooc games.

It actually strengthens the conference position overall, even if they take some losses.

OSU totally gets it...and the other 119 lesser programs will catch up to "The Program" sooner or later (Sorry, gotta get my digs in).

atlsteelers
07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
rev - what happened to auburn a few years ago likely would not happen agian regardless of the OCC. At least until OSU shows up in a bowl game. Unitl then fairly or unfailry they are beng judged by by their recent bowl perfromances and that cast a pretty ugly shadow over "the program".

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I still say a program that was clearly and widely recgnized as being in a "rebuilding year" making it to the big game was quite a feat. They just weren't as good as LSU last year...but I'm telling you, if Boeckman can get his act together, they are going to be almost impossible to beat this year. Hell, it's gonna be hard for most teams to even score on that defense, and they should be explosive on offense. If thye can get Pryor involved (ala Tebow 2 years ago), that's gonna make them just that much harder to stop.

And if you read what I wrote, I'm giving the SEC props. I lived in Florida for awhile, and I watched (and still watch) a lot of SEC ball. I have great respect for their brand of football, but I get irritated at the arrogance sometimes...

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, South Carolina...

I'm Not Impressed

Alabama, mediocre, didn't they lose at home to Louisiana Monroe in 07?
Auburn, great on the road, lose at home in big games. South Florida
Florida, without a great defense, that offense doesn't win games. Michigan!
Georgia, choke artist number one.
Arkansas, run run run run run run. New coach should bring some passing but they are out classed in the SEC.
LSU. Lock up all the instate talent, and play good solid ball, but usually choke out a game, Arkansas and Kentucky both BEAT LSU last season. I'm Not Impressed. 8 Home games last year. plus the title game at Home.
Tennessee...have they won anything since Tee Martin went undefeated?

Grab your SACK and play some out of conference games against good teams DURING the regular season.

revefsreleets
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I will give you this:
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU are pretty much = OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU while Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, Kentucky, South Carolina pretty much = Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and Illinois

Both conferences have the cream at the top, some mid-tier teams that have flashes, and the perennial shit teams at the bottom.

One of the reasons that OSU is 0-9 against the SEC is that they NEVER play shit teams regular season. They've never schedule a Vandy or Ole Miss, and they most likely never will. They get who they draw in the bowl games, they are often times the underdog, and they are always playing a natural away game.

atlsteelers
07-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I would disagree on a few fronts - bowl games are neutral site games - calling them away games is a bit of stretch. I give you geographically they may be closer to a SEC school but tickets sales are spit 50/50 between schools. Its like saying UGA plays at Florida every year because we play at a neutral site in Florida (many UGA fans make this point all of time).
I will give you OSU and Michigan as the cream of the crop - whereas at any year Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennesee, Georgia and LSU could win a national title. Has Wisconsin ever played in BCS game? We played them in the Outback bowl one year (maybe 5 years ago) and we UGA where stomping them and they started a greenbay packers chant in the second half. Penn State has started winning more games lately but they have not played in a meaningful game at the national level in years. OSU can play in the SEC on weekly basis and in most years so could michigan. but unitl penn state or wisconsin wins a bcs bowl game you guys have a top heavy league.

Here is my break down

Ohio State is = to Florida and LSU
Michigan is = to Auburn, Tennesee, and Georgia
Penn State is = to Alabama (both schools have been rebuilding)
Wisconsin is = Arkansas (they both have usually have good but not great teams - although arkansas is probally the worst team in the SEC west this year)
Illinnois is = South Carolina - both are begining to build on talent

then you have a bunch medicore teams - although i think that Vandy is a much tougher oppenent than Northwester or Minnesota. They were really tough when Cuttler played for them.

revefsreleets
07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Northwestern has had it's years. They almost beat USC in the Rose Bowl in 96. Randy Walker (RIP) was a Helluva coach and gave them some solid seasons. The Gophers have won 3-4 National Championships, but they were all like 50 years ago. They at least have some kind of history of winning.

Truth is, Northwestern and Indiana shouldn't be in the Big Ten (Indiana can stay for B-ball, NW needs to join the Ivy League). I still say drop those two schools and add ND.

The point is, especially if you take the long view, the conferences are not that different. If the Big10 had 12 teams, they'd have a CCG too.

atlsteelers
07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
If you all droped northwestern and indiana or just dropped northwestern and added two teams that are perennial top 20 teams it would help add some depth to the conference.

revefsreleets
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
The only team I EVER see joining is ND.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Alabama grew a set and will come north in 2011 to Happy Valley. Looks like Mr. Saban wants to see how the SEC Show does up North.

The two-game series between Alabama and Penn State was scheduled a few years ago when Saban was still the coach at LSU.

I'm glad to see Bama and Penn State renewing their 1980's series. Some classic games have taken place between the Tide and the fighting JoPa's over the years. My favorite was the 1989 game in Happy Valley when Bama's Thomas Rayam blocked Ray Tarasi's chip shot field goal with ten seconds left to give Bama the 17-16 win.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
There is no reason whatsover that we shouldn't see Florida/Michigan home/away, Georgia/Wisconsin home/away (I'd add the Buck's, but they already have a top 25 team scheduled home/away through 2020, so....)etc, etc...

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
There is no reason whatsover that we shouldn't see Florida/Michigan home/away, Georgia/Wisconsin home/away (I'd add the Buck's, but they already have a top 25 team scheduled home/away through 2020, so....)etc, etc...

At least the SEC and Big Eleven square off in bowl games, but I'd like to see more regular season matchups.

The following is how I would pair up the teams for a home/away series.

Alabama v. Penn State (1979's Sugar Bowl was one of the greatest college football games ever played)

Tennessee v. Michigan (The SEC's ugliest uniforms v. the Big Ten's ugliest helmets)

Florida v. Illinois (Gators v. Zooker)

Georgia v. Wisconsin (Athens and Madison: two of the best college towns in America)

Auburn v. Michigan State (AU and MSU are traditionally good programs that have to play second fiddle in their respective home states.)

LSU v. Ohio State (Battle to see who has college football's most obnoxious fans)

Arkansas v. Iowa (This matchup just makes sense for some reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it.)

Kentucky v. Indiana (This used to be a great basketball rivalry)

South Carolina v. Northwestern (Weird matchup. Period.)

Ole Miss v. Minnesota (The Minnesota fans making the trip to Oxford will fall in love with the Grove)

Mississippi State v. Purdue (Two programs that fly around under the radar, but can beat you on any given Saturday)

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I want UGA to play northwestern or indiana our schedule is already tough enough. Especially if florida gets illinois?

Every College football fan should travel to Oxford just for an excuse to check out the girls on that campus just simply unreal.

Dino 6 Rings
08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I want UGA to play northwestern or indiana our schedule is already tough enough. Especially if florida gets illinois?.

Well you sure don't want to schedule any Big East teams if you're in the SEC.

Maybe Auburn can schedule another home game against South Florida, worked out so well for them last season didn't it.

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
The bulls can easily run the table this year.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Why mock Illinois? It was Zook's talent that won the NC game. The Illini are definitely a rapidly improving program, and their recruiting has been stellar the last couple of years.

atlsteelers
08-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Zook can recruit but florida brings in the talent regardless of the coach. I just want flordia to match up with somebody that can beat them as often as aubrun does, which is pretty often.

revefsreleets
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Zook wasn't a good fit in Florida, but he'll prove to be a fine coach. I'm tellling you, people need to watch out for that Illini program. They are going to be a damned good football team this year.

SteelCityMan786
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
The bulls can easily run the table this year.

Hmmmm, not with Pat White still running the QB Show at WVU. Sure you beat them in 07, but you still have to beat them in 2008.

SteelCityMan786
08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Alabama v. Penn State (1979's Sugar Bowl was one of the greatest college football games ever played)

You'll get your wish in the 2010 and 2011 season.

Dino 6 Rings
08-08-2008, 10:07 AM
You'll get your wish in the 2010 and 2011 season.

Too bad the PSU Kittens refuse to play PITT. I'd like my wish.

SteelCityMan786
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Too bad the PSU Kittens refuse to play PITT. I'd like my wish.

Trust me, I want a PSU/Pitt game as much if not more then Pitt fans do. I'd rather see Curley buy out Eastern Illinois and Ytown State. We're already too late to buy out Coastal Carolina. But unfortunately until Paterno goes, we will probably not see a day that Penn State and Pitt end up on the same gridiron. Hell If I was in Curley's Shoes I'd be calling up Pitt with a 20+ game home and home series. I'm not shiatin you at all.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Pitt might actually sell out a game if they played Penn State. I'd hold out hope for that too if I were a Pitt fan. Its gotta be a real let down to play in front of stadium that isn't even half full. I'm not sure what the remedy for that is, but I'd worry about trying to have a winning season for a change before I started wishing for another loss on the schedule....lol

I grew up in the Burgh so I pull for Pitt to do well.........unless they're playing Penn State.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Pitt might actually sell out a game if they played Penn State. I'd hold out hope for that too if I were a Pitt fan. Its gotta be a real let down to play in front of stadium that isn't even half full. I'm not sure what the remedy for that is, but I'd worry about trying to have a winning season for a change before I started wishing for another loss on the schedule....lol

I grew up in the Burgh so I pull for Pitt to do well.........unless they're playing Penn State.

Winning sells out games. When Fitz was the runner up for Heisman at PITT every home game sold out. I was there for a few of them. Good times. Also, the move to Heinz hurt the ticket sales because the Students have to be bussed in instead of walking up "that damn hill". Once Shady gets things going this season, the home games will sell out at Heinz.

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
There are only like 3 D-1A programs that don't have a stadium on campus (Akron, Miami (FL) and Pitt) there may be a couple I'm missing, but I think that's about it, and Akron is building a stadium on campus this year. It REALLY hurts to not have conveneince for students, especially if it's a larger school. Look at the student sections for PSU and ND...literally 10,000 plus students (and I swear there are more students at ND games than there are actual students AT NDand it's sister school).

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Syracuse isn't on Campus, I've been there. South Florida isn't on Campus either.

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Yup...good call. Carrier Dome definitely not...S. Florida I think is looking at building on campus, though. So there's 5 out 120.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Yup...good call. Carrier Dome definitely not...S. Florida I think is looking at building on campus, though. So there's 5 out 120.

Southern Cal and UCLA both have off-campus stadiums out in LA.

Memphis plays at the off-campus Liberty Bowl.

Florida Atlantic plays off campus in Lockhart Stadium (but they're close to breaking ground on an on-campus facility).

UTEP plays off-campus in the Sun Bowl.

Temple plays off-campus at Lincoln Financial Field.

San Diego State plays off campus at Qualcomm Stadium.

UNLV plays off campus at the Silver Bowl.

Hawaii plays off-campus in Aloha Stadium.

Tulane plays in the Louisiana Superdome which is off-campus.

UAB plays off-campus at Legion Field.

Once the University of South Alabama joins I-A in 2013, they'll be playing off campus in Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Is UConn's stadium on campus? For some reason, I think it might be off-campus.

When is Minnesota leaving the Metrodome?

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Alright, alright, so there are more like 15. point is, it's tough to generate excitement amongst the student body when you've got to bus them all over Hell's half acre.

Godfather
08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Alright, alright, so there are more like 15. point is, it's tough to generate excitement amongst the student body when you've got to bus them all over Hell's half acre.

VERY true. Tulane has trouble getting students to go to games. It's not just the losing, it's having to hop a shuttle bus to make the trip to the Dome.

Of course, they also ruined the pregame atmosphere. There used to be tailgate parties on gameday--free jambalaya and Coke, 25 cent draft beers--around campus at places like the ROTC building and the Alumni House. Then Marriott (the food provider) said that violated their exclusive contract and made the university shut the tailgate parties down. Marriott replaced them by closing down the dining hall on gameday. You had to use your "dinner" for a small plate of fried chicken and potato salad with no seconds. After a couple of games they dropped it altogether.

Winning would help, though. I was at the last game of the 1998 regular season (the 12-0 year where Shaun King rewrote the record book). It was Thanksgiving weekend but there was still a good presence in the student section which is conveniently behind the visitors' bench.

Dino 6 Rings
08-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Alabama vs Clemson will really set the tune for how the SEC is going to compete this season. Also the Auburn at West Virginia game is a huge game.

revefsreleets
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
At least at Akron they make an effort. They found a loophole to being a dry campus where they have a beer garden set-up adjacent to the stadium. It sucks because it's behind the endzone and it's tough to watch the game, but, like I said, at least an effort is being made.

All that changes next year...and I've got season tickets for the next two years bought.

Godfather
08-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Alabama vs Clemson will really set the tune for how the SEC is going to compete this season. Also the Auburn at West Virginia game is a huge game.

SPUAT will get curbstomped. They can't even hang with ULM and will be lucky to have a .500 conference record.

Aubies might be a better test.

rbryan
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't buy it. The student body can't make it 5 miles down the road??? Before you rack your brain on that....How many active students do you think there are in the 90,000 plus at a Penn State game??? I'll help you out ....no more than 10-12k.

The rest are alumni.......We are Penn State.....lol

So I'll ask you one more time. Why is Heinz field half empty for a Pitt game???

revefsreleets
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
No, I think there's merit to the argument. My alma mater did not have a stadium on campus, and there was a huge and palpable difference between it and other similar schools that did come Saturday morning. No tailgating, no sense of excitement or anticipation...it's just not the same. Without some permeating sense of festival or whatever you call it, it definitely impacts the general enthusiam of the student body.

Dino 6 Rings
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't buy it. The student body can't make it 5 miles down the road??? Before you rack your brain on that....How many active students do you think there are in the 90,000 plus at a Penn State game??? I'll help you out ....no more than 10-12k.

The rest are alumni.......We are Penn State.....lol

So I'll ask you one more time. Why is Heinz field half empty for a Pitt game???

Pitt hasn't been winning and had a major coaching change. The fans were disinfranchised when the 1st year under Dave W was a major let down, especially since they were in a BCS game the year prior after winning the Big East. Palko and some of the other guys lost their "heart" and didn't put forth the full effort asked of them by Dave and the team itself had a huge 2 season let down. After beating the #2 team in the nation last year on their home field, Pitt football has officially made a statement and will be back in the mix. The fans will be coming back to Heinz field in droves especially with McCoy running in the Heisman Race.

Go play Temple again with your over rated team and try to score more than 9 points at OSU this season why don't you. Btw...got you last 12-0. Deal with it.

atlsteelers
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM

i would have to disagree with that one. if the tide wins great it will be a nice upset. but clemson is the best acc program going into the game, alabama is probally at best the 5 or 6th best team in the SEC. but alabama's got a chance. i think clemson is favored by 5 right now but the line was as high as 7.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
i would have to disagree with that one. if the tide wins great it will be a nice upset. but clemson is the best acc program going into the game, alabama is probally at best the 5 or 6th best team in the SEC. but alabama's got a chance. i think clemson is favored by 5 right now but the line was as high as 7.

Funny...I thought the SEC was so dominant that its "lower tier" teams would be able to handle a consistantly under acheiving Clemson program.

Is South Carolina going to beat NC State or do you have an excuse for that one lined up as well?

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 04:28 PM
It's interesting because Kirk Herbstreit (who, IMO, goes way TOO far out of his way to try and be unbiased towards the Big Ten) has siad some stuff about the Big Ten and SEC lately, and he was right on.

What did he say? That it's all cyclical (where have we heard that before "cough from me cough") and the SEC has been up lately. He also called bullshit on the SEC ignorance that the best Big Ten team would finish 5th in the SEC. OSU is loaded at talent this year, and would cause fits for EVERY SEC team they'd face.

I was glad to see him stick up for his conference for a change...he's become to meely-mouthed trying to appease the masses...

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm so tired of the SEC not playing tough out of conference games and getting all their bowl games in their own back yard.

Looking foward to that Auburn at WVU game. Big East, only conference with a winning record against the Sec.

revefsreleets
08-27-2008, 05:15 PM
They are getting better about it. Kicking and screaming, but they are.

I wonder what happens if WVU beats up Auburn and ASU beats Georgia? That doesn't bode well for continued ooc games for the SEC...but the true measure of any conference IS it's record against other conferences.

In my book, EVERY perennial power team's motto should be (like my Bucks) "Any team, anywhere, any time".

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Funny...I thought the SEC was so dominant that its "lower tier" teams would be able to handle a consistantly under acheiving Clemson program.

Is South Carolina going to beat NC State or do you have an excuse for that one lined up as well?

By most accounts this is supposed to be Clemson's year from a talent standpoint and because the ACC has been down as of late. I think the key matchup to the Alabama/Clemson game will be Clemson's offensive line versus Alabama's defensive front seven; both of these units face some big question marks. Alabama's offense matches up really well against Clemson's defense. It could be a high scoring game. I won't be surprised to see Alabama win, but Clemson probably should be the slight favorite.

I think South Carolina will bomb NC State on Thursday night.

atlsteelers
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow - Michigan is only a 3.5 point favorite over Utah this weekend and the game is in the big house.

I think USC will roll over NCS. i am stoked that football season has arrived.

atlsteelers
08-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Clemson has a good qb, in collin harper. it does not hurt that he grew up down the street from me.

lilyoder6
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
well michigan rly doesn't have any "play-makers" on the team anymore.. the qb/rb tandem that was there for 4 yrs left.. they need to rise up and show that they have players who can play

xfl2001fan
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
In my book, EVERY perennial power team's motto should be (like my Bucks) "Any team, anywhere, any time".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The beauty of OSU football is that (if you're a power) we'll do a home and home with you, so that it's not just a, "come to the Shoe or we won't play you" scenario.

For the smaller schools (like Youngstown, MAC teams, etc...) it's about giving other teams a chance at a bigger pot of money and their players a chance to play in the spotlight.

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Credit to Florida for finally putting Miami back on their schedule and having Fla State on their as well. We finally get the Florida Cup back in play this season.

I want SEC Schools to travel to the North more. I love that Auburn is playing At West Virginia. Tennessee did play a heck of game back when they won the national title up in Syracuse, great game, recommend it if you catch it on Classic or something. I'm tired of the "our conference is so tough" crap. Go play at someone else's house and win. That is why we have more than 1 Conference. I want to see LSU above the northern border of Arkansas. They need to play at Oregon, Like Oklahoma does, or at Michigan, or at Boston College. Spice it up, get out of the south and bring your "Challenge" on the Road.

revefsreleets
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Plus the Bucks keep the money in state.

pittsburghp8baller
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
South Carolina didnt look bad tonight. They need to sure up the O-Line and the QB position by next week, Vandy aint gonna be a push over. Things dont get easier, with Georgia right after Vandy. South Carolina's starting quarterback didnt look awful other than the four picks, he seemed to be able to make plays when things broke down very quickly. Smiley played good in relief but u can tell NC ST was jus completely wore out by time he came in, but he could very well be the starter next week

GoFins11
09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm happy to have Miami on the schedule as well. Should be a good game despite Miami's current woes.

Edman
09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Since we're on the SEC subject...

#20 Tennessee falls to UCLA at the Rose Bowl.

GoFins11
09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Since we're on the SEC subject...

#20 Tennessee falls to UCLA at the Rose Bowl.

I was surprised that Tennessee lost but I am happy to see UCLA win one on Neuheisel's first game and oh yeah Tenn. lost.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
SPUAT will get curbstomped. They can't even hang with ULM and will be lucky to have a .500 conference record.

Aubies might be a better test.

Bama didn't get quite "curbstomped" now did they! Looks like Saban's system is taking shape quite nicely. But, I'm sure you'll say that it was because Clemson was way overrated.

GoFins11
09-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Bama didn't get quite "curbstomped" now did they! Looks like Saban's system is taking shape quite nicely. But, I'm sure you'll say that it was because Clemson was way overrated.

grrrrr....Nick Saban.:mad:

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Clemson WAS overrated. But Alabama is also underrated.

Tennessee has found out two years in a row why it's tough to schedule ooc road games. But I give them ALL the credit in the World for having the stones to do it.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Clemson WAS overrated. But Alabama is also underrated.

Tennessee has found out two years in a row why it's tough to schedule ooc road games. But I give them ALL the credit in the World for having the stones to do it.

That's probably a very fair assessment. I thought that Clemson's coaching staff panicked when Alabama began to shut down the Tiger's running game in the 1st quarter. C.J. Spiller only had two or three touches on offense all game long - that's crazy. Alabama's defense is a lot better than most folks thought they would be.

A ton of new faces contributed for Bama which is a good sign since UA only has seven seniors on the 3-deep roster.

Alabama went out and played UCLA to start the 2000 season, lost the game, and limped home to a 3-8 season after beginning the year ranked #3. Tennessee might be in the same boat because this was a patchwork UCLA team that beat the Vols last night. As a Bama fan, I enjoyed seeing Fat Phil go down last night anyway!

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
So who are the top 5 SEC teams, assuming Tennessee is "fallen"?

(In no particular order)
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Auburn
Alabama

And I think there is a drop-off after that. Arkansas did not look good!

Dino 6 Rings
09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I put South Carolina over Alabama, and I'll let you know how good Auburn is after they play on the road at WVU.

Florida has a very tough game this weekend against Miami. Bigger test then Hawaii.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I think Alabama is for real...they've recruited well the last couple year under Saban, and that chicken will come home to roost this year. They finally have some offense to go with that killer defense...

rbryan
09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Pitt hasn't been winning and had a major coaching change. The fans were disinfranchised when the 1st year under Dave W was a major let down, especially since they were in a BCS game the year prior after winning the Big East. Palko and some of the other guys lost their "heart" and didn't put forth the full effort asked of them by Dave and the team itself had a huge 2 season let down. After beating the #2 team in the nation last year on their home field, Pitt football has officially made a statement and will be back in the mix. The fans will be coming back to Heinz field in droves especially with McCoy running in the Heisman Race.

Go play Temple again with your over rated team and try to score more than 9 points at OSU this season why don't you. Btw...got you last 12-0. Deal with it.

Maybe Pitt should schedule Temple too, obviously Bowling Green was too much to bite off in week one.....lol BTW the stadium was still half empty. After that piss poor showing you'll be lucky to see a half full Heinz field for the rest of this season.

Face it, the Panthers and the Pirates are going in the same direction

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
So who are the top 5 SEC teams, assuming Tennessee is "fallen"?

(In no particular order)
LSU
Florida
Georgia
Auburn
Alabama

And I think there is a drop-off after that. Arkansas did not look good!

My rankings after Week One's games based in part on how each of the teams performed in their opening games:

1. Florida (Tebow and Gator offense picked right up where they left off in '07; defense will be much improved.)
2. LSU (If LSU can continue to run the ball like they did against Appy State, another title run is in order.)
3. Georgia (Offense looks great; defense gave up a little too much to I-AA Georgia Southern.)
4. Alabama (Defense was dominate holding Clemson to zero yards rushing and only 188 total yards; Bama O-Line might be one of nation's best.)
5. Auburn (Tigers didn't score first offensive touchdown until more than halfway into the 3rd quarter, but give Tony Franklin's system some time to catch on and they'll be fine.)
6. South Carolina (four interceptions in first half, but QB change led to better results against outmanned NC State.)
7. Kentucky (What a defensive performance by the Cats against arch rival on the road.)
8. Tennessee (Losing to a rebuilding UCLA squad with it's 3rd string QB is a tough pill to swallow for the Big Orange Nation.)
9. Ole Miss (Rebs might deserve to be a spot or two higher due to their best offensive performance since the days of Eli Manning. Nutt needs to work on his defense if Rebs are to make some noise in the SEC this season.)
10. Vanderbilt (Vandy surprised many with their easy victory on the road at Miami-Ohio. QB Chris Nickson is one of the SEC's best.)
11. Arkansas (Hogs had to rally late to knock off I-AA Western Illinois; Petrino has quite a task ahead of him.)
12. Mississippi State (State didn't do anything right in loss to La Tech; just when things looked rosey in Starkville, Croom's dogs lay a big egg to start the '08 campaign.)

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I'll buy that after one week. I'd flip Georgia and LSU, though...Appy State defends by outscoring opponents.

See, guys, I LOVE SEC football, and still follow it even after I moved back north...I just don't like the myopic chest thumping "We are SEC...we are best" thing. It doesn't help that my Bucks lost two straight to boot to the conference...

atlsteelers
09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I really enjoyed watching vandy beat tje ole ball coach last night. what a way to start the weekend.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-07-2008, 02:47 AM
I think Alabama is for real...they've recruited well the last couple year under Saban, and that chicken will come home to roost this year. They finally have some offense to go with that killer defense...

Yeah. I agree.

touchdownward
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm a huge Georgia fan, so I had to post this play by Knowshon Moreno. :leap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtszXrC0R0

atlsteelers
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
i do not even need to click on that one to know which play you are talking about. that was a nice game that knowshon had on saturday

GoFins11
09-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Gators beat Miami for the first time since 1985(6 meetings).

26-3

Dino 6 Rings
09-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe Pitt should schedule Temple too, obviously Bowling Green was too much to bite off in week one.....lol BTW the stadium was still half empty. After that piss poor showing you'll be lucky to see a half full Heinz field for the rest of this season.

Face it, the Panthers and the Pirates are going in the same direction

Really nice stuff here. Laugh it up. It all comes around and goes around.

atlsteelers
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Until Coach W is fired i do not have much hope for pitt football. why does he keep matt cavanaugh on his staff - he let his best coach in paul rhodes leave.

GoFins11
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Interesting game going on in Columbia, SC.

7-6 Gamecox in the 3rd. I'm sure Georgia will come back and beat them by at least 14 points.

rbryan
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM

You got me all wrong Dino, I'm a Burgh guy and I still want to see Pitt do well. B4 I went to school at PS I would always pull for which ever team had the best chance to make a splash by Thansksgiving. I was only trying to suggest they do something to fill the stands, even if it's to let in HS kids in for free, the homeless, whatever. it hurts me as much as you to see that stadium half empty. Nothing personal.

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
You got me all wrong Dino, I'm a Burgh guy and I still want to see Pitt do well. B4 I went to school at PS I would always pull for which ever team had the best chance to make a splash by Thansksgiving. I was only trying to suggest they do something to fill the stands, even if it's to let in HS kids in for free, the homeless, whatever. it hurts me as much as you to see that stadium half empty. Nothing personal.

They Just Need To Win. That'll fill the seats.

How about the SEC This weekend.

Auburn with a 3-2 win over Miss State and Georgia dodging a bullet in South Carolina. Pretty impressive wins there.

South Florida stepped up in the Big East and beat a pretty good Big 12 team. I'd be interested in seeing them play Oklahoma though, a better big 12 team. Sooners are on their way to the title game, I still say no SEC team goes undefeated this year or wins impressive enough to go with 1 loss. USC vs Oklahoma. That's my prediction. I figured the winner of USC/OSU would win out. The Pac 10 is looking pretty lame too, with Cal getting punched in the face by Maryland and UCLA getting kicked in the groin by BYU. Oregon dodged a bullet at Purdue, so it looks like USC should run the table and be in the title game. Oklahoma looks better every week, and unless they choke out inthe Red River Shootout, they should run the table.

atlsteelers
09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
whats wrong with that south carolina game? its a rivalry game. thats like saying the steelers looked liked sh*t because we only beat cleveland 10-6. Any time you go william brice stadium and come out with a win it is a great saturday for me. last year we did not even score a touchdown agianst south coralina's defense and they had everybody back this year and we were at usc. i loved the game. now we just have to travel west and get a win.

GoFins11
09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
whats wrong with that south carolina game? its a rivalry game. thats like saying the steelers looked liked sh*t because we only beat cleveland 10-6. Any time you go william brice stadium and come out with a win it is a great saturday for me. last year we did not even score a touchdown agianst south coralina's defense and they had everybody back this year and we were at usc. i loved the game. now we just have to travel west and get a win.

Even the 2006 NC Florida team had trouble against USC and that was at the swamp.

atlsteelers
09-16-2008, 10:49 AM
i would like to say its the steve spurrier factor but truth be told we have always struggled agianst USC. they give florida fits too. oh well that what makes the conference games so much fun and so stressfull at the same time. So you guys play UT this weekend at knoxville. should be an intresting game. you guys had a bye week going in too (thankfully - becuase we can not beat florida after they come off a bye week).

GoFins11
09-16-2008, 01:15 PM
i would like to say its the steve spurrier factor but truth be told we have always struggled agianst USC. they give florida fits too. oh well that what makes the conference games so much fun and so stressfull at the same time. So you guys play UT this weekend at knoxville. should be an intresting game. you guys had a bye week going in too (thankfully - becuase we can not beat florida after they come off a bye week).

This year's Florida-Georgia should be a classic. Personally, Moreno scares the crap out of me.:uhh:

atlsteelers
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
moreno is a special running back. its amazing the diffrence make that he is. he was came in last year and out played two seniors in thomas brown and greg lumpkin. lumpkin is now playing with the packers and brown was going to make the falcons team before he tore grion muscle.

revefsreleets
09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
I actually agree that Oklahoma looks like the team to beat this year (along with USC). Don't forget about Missouri, though. They MIGHT be able to outscore Oklahoma with Daniels back there firing away (I also have him as the Heisman front runner now that Wells is down).

As of right now, I don't see any SEC team running the table, and I don't see anybody beating USC (but possibly themselves). OU looks really good now. I'd say OU/USC is the match-up as of this minute, but, Jesus, it's college football, and we all know literally ANYTHING could happen between now and January.

atlsteelers
09-17-2008, 11:05 AM
OU always looks good until its bowl season. if OSU did not melt down in the last two BCS championship games everybody would be talking about Oklahoma. USC, Boise State, and West Virginia moped the floor with them.

atlsteelers
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
UGA looks to increase national exposure
By TIM TUCKER
Cox News Service

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

ATHENS, Ga. — When Georgia's football team travels to Arizona State this week, it'll be the longest trip the Bulldogs have taken for a regular-season game since Dwight Eisenhower was president.

And it'll be the first time the Dogs have left the Southeast for a regular-season game since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House.

Aside from bowls, the trip to Tempe, Ariz., will be Georgia's longest since a 1960 excursion to Southern Cal and first outside the Southeast since 1965 and 1967 visits to Michigan and Houston, respectively.

In the decades since, no major college football team has stayed closer to home than the Bulldogs.

That changes this week.

"I always had that concern about us not getting outside our region," Georgia athletics director Damon Evans said. "I've had a thought of us becoming more a nationally known program. One of the best ways to do that is to take your biggest or most recognized sport across the country.

"I want to grow our brand," Evans added. "I think getting across this great country of ours and showing people what the Georgia Bulldogs are about will help with our brand recognition. I think it also will help with our recruiting."

Evans said he is committed to playing, in addition to Georgia Tech, at least one other non-conference opponent from a BCS league every year. He is committed to two-year contracts with such opponents — a game in Athens one year and on the road another year.

In fact, Georgia already has scheduled one opponent more distant than this week's: It'll play at Oregon in 2015. The Bulldogs will go to Oklahoma State next year and to Colorado in 2010.

Evans said the key to the change in scheduling philosophy was the NCAA's addition, starting in 2006, of a 12th regular-season game each year.

Under an 11-game schedule, Georgia maintained that its SEC slate — including the annual neutral-site game against Florida — and its rivalry game against Georgia Tech discouraged other non-conference road games. That was partly because another road game would have left the Bulldogs with just five home dates some years.

"We weren't willing to do that," Evans said. "But when the 12-game schedule rolled around, it presented a great opportunity."

Along with the inter-regional games, Georgia has scheduled Louisville in 2011 (home) and 2012 (road) and restored Clemson — a frequent foe in past decades — to the schedule in 2013 (road) and 2014 (home).

Even with a 12-game schedule, Georgia gives up a lucrative seventh home date each time it adds a non-conference road game. That amounts to a loss of more than $3 million in ticket and concessions revenue.

"If our brand grows, that revenue will be made up," Evans said. "And if these games help ... put us in position to compete for the national championship, that itself outweighs money."

Bulldogs coach Mark Richt said he concurred with adding some far-flung opponents.

"The bottom line was, we wanted to ... give our fans and players the experience and allow the other side of the country to maybe take a little more notice of Georgia and not look at (UGA) as such a regional team," Richt said.

He said such games could provide recruiting benefits.

"There might be one great player on that side of the country who gets a chance to go to the game ... and all of a sudden takes a liking to (Georgia)," Richt said.

Still, such a trip can substantially complicate the season, especially when it falls — as it does this year — on the week before an SEC showdown against Alabama and on a schedule that already includes games at LSU and Auburn.

"I'm always mindful the Southeastern Conference is a tough conference," said Evans, a former Georgia football player. "At the same time, I believe that in order to be the best you've got to beat the best, and you've got to get out there and play a national schedule."

To offset such schedule challenges, Evans said Georgia plans plans to book one Division I-AA opponent each year. The Bulldogs opened this season against Georgia Southern and will play Tennessee Tech next year.

"We're trying to maintain some balance," Evans said.

He noted other SEC teams — particularly Tennessee and occasionally others — have made trips out West in recent years.

And he sees the shift in Georgia's philosophy as one that could lead to some compelling — although not currently scheduled — match-ups in years ahead.

"Think about this: Michigan down in Sanford Stadium and us up in The Big House," Evans said. "Or Notre Dame down in Sanford Stadium and us up in South Bend."

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 12:08 PM
All well and good as long as they win.

atlsteelers
09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope we win. not sure if we will. but i wanted to post that article because we get such grief for never traveling out of the south. as you can see things are changing.

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
But if the Bulldogs lose, i see them pulling the plug on ever venturing outside the SE again.

They will bask in much love from the media though, as this will be the big get this weekend.

GoFins11
09-17-2008, 03:57 PM
But if the Bulldogs lose, i see them pulling the plug on ever venturing outside the SE again.

They will bask in much love from the media though, as this will be the big get this weekend.

Don't jinx them:doh:

They need to stay unbeaten until the Florida-Georgia game.:wink02:

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Please tell me that the ASU/UGA game is the 8 PM game. 4:15 don't cut it...

atlsteelers
09-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah its the 8pm game. gofins - i hope we are still unbeaten when we play you guys - at that point we will be on the home stretch. so just take care of UT this weekend and we will do what it takes out in the desert.

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
UT is awful...Florida is going to beat them by 30 points.

lilyoder6
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
florida should put up some nice numbers.. i can see tebow just destroying them

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I think the game is at Tennessee, right? If so, they'll only beat the Vols by 24

atlsteelers
09-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Florida linebacker calls out Tennessee
Brandon Spikes says Volunteers ‘quit playing’ during last season’s game
By TONY BARNHART

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Given the long and bitter history of the rivalry, Tennessee does not need any extra motivation to get ready to play Florida. But Brandon Spikes, a senior linebacker for the Gators, decided to be generous this week and give the Volunteers some bulletin board material.

Spikes basically used Monday’s post-practice session with the media to call out Tennessee, whom he said “quit playing” in last year’s 59-20 win by Florida in Gainesville.

“They kind of gave up,” Spikes said of the Volunteers, who play Florida on Saturday at Neyland Stadium (3:30 p.m., CBS). “They quit playing.”

Tennessee doesn’t quite see it that way. The Volunteers remember a game where they trailed 28-6 and rallied to within eight, 28-20, when Fairburn’s Eric Berry returned an interception 96 yards for a touchdown.

Tennessee had the ball and a chance to tie when running back Arian Foster fumbled and Florida’s Dustin Doe returned it 18 yards for a touchdown. The dam broke and Florida scored 31 unanswered points to create the blowout.

After the game Florida special teams player Derek Baldry said that after one of the late Gator touchdowns, a Tennessee player told him that he wasn’t even going to try to block an extra point attempt.

“That kind of surprised me, for him saying I don’t want to rush,” Spikes told reporters. “But I know they are not really as tough as us.”

Needless to say that in the world of instant communications, that word got to Knoxville in time for Tuesday’s weekly press conference.

Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer, who has been in a pretty foul mood since the Vols lost to UCLA (27-24, OT on Sept. 1), insists that his players did not quit during last year’s game.

“It probably came from the (Florida) coaches because the players tend to repeat things that are said,” Fulmer told reporters during his Tuesday press conference. “But I try to look at things realistically. The fact is that we were just on the field way too long in the third quarter and we got gassed. (But) if they don’t respect us then why are they practicing?”

Tennessee’s players, as you might imagine, disagree with the assessment of Spikes.

“It’s complete disrespect,” Foster told reporters. “It’s probably made to provoke and get a rise out of us.”

“He’s entitled to his own opinion,” linebacker Rico McCoy said. “It’s a new year and a new ball game. We’ll see on Saturday.”

Spikes may have used bad judgment in calling Tennessee out, but the jury is still out on whether or not Tennessee has the wherewithal to do anything about it.

This is a big game for Tennessee and not just because the Volunteers want to shut up Brandon Spikes. Tennessee football needs a big win after losing to a UCLA team that clearly did not have as much talent as the Volunteers. And it didn’t help the psyche of the Big Orange Nation when that same UCLA team was destroyed 59-0 last Saturday by BYU.

And Fulmer, the dean of SEC coaches, needs a big win in the worst possible way.

Despite going 10-4 last season and reaching the SEC championship game Fulmer, in his 17th season as head coach, still has his critics. The Volunteers have not won an SEC championship since 1998, when Tennessee also won the national title. In the 10 years since Tennessee’s last SEC championship, Georgia (Mark Richt), Florida (Urban Meyer), and Alabama (Nick Saban) have hired new coaches and energized their programs. Fulmer’s critics point out that he is 3-4 against Richt, 1-4 against Saban (at Alabama and LSU), and 0-3 against Meyer.

Despite the fact that Tennessee has averaged about 9 wins per year and gone to six New Year’s Day bowls since 1998, there are Tennessee fans who feel the Volunteer program has grown stale and is falling behind the other rising stars in the SEC.

“Fulmer’s biggest problem is that he hasn’t won an SEC championship in 10 years,” said Jimmy Hyams, who has been covering Tennessee football for newspapers and radio in Knoxville since 1985. “No single coach in Tennessee history has gone that long without winning an SEC championship. That’s the main thing.

“But there are also people who say they are just tired of Phillip and want a change. I try to tell those people that in this kind of situation change is not always good.”

Since 1968 Fulmer has spent all but five years as a player, assistant coach, or head coach on the Tennessee campus. His roots in Knoxville are deep. He got a new contract over the summer that gives him an automatic extension for eight wins or more. The critics have said that rewards mediocrity. Fulmer appreciates their passion.

“I understand that our people have high expectations. That’s a good thing. That’s what we want at Tennessee. I have high expectations too and nobody wants to win more than I do,” said Fulmer, who needs just 26 wins to become Tennessee’s all-time winner, surpassing the legendary General Bob Neyland. “I know how hard our players and our coaches work.”

atlsteelers
09-19-2008, 08:26 AM
2,500 UGA fans denied Arizona St. tickets
A.D.: ‘Hottest away game for us in a long time’
By TIM TUCKER

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Athens — Demand was so strong for Georgia’s allotment of tickets to this week’s game at Arizona State that only fans who had contributed more than $27,000 to the Bulldogs’ athletics program were eligible to buy them.

Requests for the 7,300 tickets available through the Georgia ticket office were filled in order of applicants’ contributions. The cutoff: $27,007.

Many of those fans, plus others, found alternative ways to get tickets for Saturday’s game in Tempe, Ariz.

“This has been one of the hottest away-game tickets for us in a long time,” Georgia athletics director Damon Evans said. “I heard a lot of Georgia fans have bought tickets through Arizona State. I heard some people have purchased Arizona State season-ticket packages to get to that game.

“Fans are very resourceful in finding ways to get tickets. It is absolutely unbelievable, the excitement of the Georgia fan base in getting out there.”

Arizona State announced several weeks ago that the Georgia game had sold out, but says it doesn’t know how many Bulldogs fans bought tickets directly from the school.

Bulldogs won’t be tourists

More than 10 million tourists visit the Phoenix area each year. Georgia’s football players will not be among them.

“It’d have been nice to maybe … do some sightseeing and all that,” Richt said. “You wish our guys could see more than maybe the horizon and the hotel and the stadium, but that’s probably all we’ll see.

“It will be a business trip for us, for sure.”

The Bulldogs will fly from Atlanta to Phoenix on Friday afternoon. Richt said there’s nothing more than meals, meetings and sleep on the team’s itinerary until it buses to Sun Devil Stadium for the game.

The Bulldogs will fly back to Atlanta late Saturday night. Richt estimates the team will arrive in Athens between 5:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

revefsreleets
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
UT will hang around for a quarter or so, I imagine, being their first big home game, but it'll be ugly by the 4th.

GoFins11
09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
UT will hang around for a quarter or so, I imagine, being their first big home game, but it'll be ugly by the 4th.

Thats basically what SCOUT said.

atlsteelers
09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah but spikes got the great orange pumpkin fired upped.

some bbq knowlege for you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

revefsreleets
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
They DO know how to tailgate in Knoxville. And they know how to drink, too, which is a good thing, and will come in handy by the middle of the third quarter...

lilyoder6
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
the one good thing that the sec is doing right now is that in the top 10... 5 of the teams are from the sec...

GoFins11
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM
They DO know how to tailgate in Knoxville. And they know how to drink, too, which is a good thing, and will come in handy by the middle of the third quarter...

Knoxville is a very "interesting" place. There are some crazy hill billies there.

GoFins11
09-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Gators are up 20-0 at halftime

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe that Tennessee basically had a walk in TD right in front of them and they threw the ball...INT for the Gators. Halftime...Tennessee had play calling weeks ago versus UCLA and now again today.

GoFins11
09-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Gators win 30-6

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
got teebow go!!! i think lsu will beat auburn

revefsreleets
09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I think the game is at Tennessee, right? If so, they'll only beat the Vols by 24

Now if I could only figure out how to accurately predict my Buck's games:banging:

revefsreleets
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow. Auburn/LSU right down to the wire guaranprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilte rprofanityfilteringtee you if that last hit on Auburn's QB was a Steeler, they'd have flagged it.

Instant classic!

lilyoder6
09-21-2008, 12:27 AM
lsu won again on a last play.. they are real good at getting the plays when they need too..

GoFins11
09-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I really thought Auburn was going to win. Great game though.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Tide and Dawgs in Athens this coming Saturday is going to be a goodie. Bama's defensive front seven against the UGA O-Line is where this one will likely be decided.

SteelCityMan786
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Tide and Dawgs in Athens this coming Saturday is going to be a goodie. Bama's defensive front seven against the UGA O-Line is where this one will likely be decided.

ESPN College Gameday will be in Athens this week for those of you in that area.

revefsreleets
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
GA and Bama is definitely this weeks big get.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Article from this morning's Montgomery Advertiser. For you Penn State fans, this will bring back some memories. :thumbsup:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080923/SPORTS0401/809230315

revefsreleets
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Nice article...but I'm not seeing it.

atlsteelers
09-25-2008, 08:57 AM
i am stoked about the game it should be great and it will be close. but just as alabma has added talent so have we. in addition, our o-line looked much better agianst ASU and it will be the second game in a row that everybody has played together at their new positions. the key is not to get too hyped. i think i am going to show up in athens around 2 or so. head over to the tailgate and get ready for some football.

atlsteelers
09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Is it saturday yet? first day back at work from vacation and i can not wait for this satuday.

Dino 6 Rings
09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Georgia Tech 38
Miss State 7

Auburn 3
Miss State 2

Georgia 27
AZ Sate 10

UNLV 23
AZ State 20

Wake Forest 30
Ole Miss 28

Florida 26
Miami 3

SC 34
NC State 0

Louisiana Tech 22
Miss State 14

Alabama 34
Clemson 10

Kentucky 27
Louisivlle 2

UCLA 27
Tennessee 24

atlsteelers
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
hey dino i know i was drinking but you might want to check your georgia and arizona state score.

GoFins11
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I am very interested to see the Georgia/Alabama. Personally I don't know whos going to win.

Game of the week if you ask me.

BTW F%@K Saban

atlsteelers
09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
it should be a great game plus its at night. i have no idea why cbs is showing the UT/Auburn game. but it works out great for us.

revefsreleets
09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Yup, I definitely have the Bama/UGA game as this weeks big get. PSU/Illinois is also a very intriguing match-up. The Illini have a great O, but they don't play much defense. First team of consequence the Lions have played, so a good litmus test for them...

atlsteelers
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
At least i was able to gas up my car this morning. its a royal pain in the but to get gas right now. but now i can get to the game and back without running out!

Petroleum exec says governor should cancel Georgia-Alabama football game to save gas
Thursday, September 25, 2008, 03:42 PM

In an op-ed piece on Wednesday in the AJC, Tex Pitfield, president and CEO of Saraguay Petroleum in Atlanta, said Gov. Sonny Perdue ignored a warning from Pitfield to invoke gasoline rationing well before Hurricane Ike struck the Texas coast and its refineries.

Pitfield had another suggestion today.

In a radio interview, the petroleum company chief said he’d advise Perdue to cancel Saturday’s game Georgia-Alabama, to prevent the burning of the precious gasoline required to move a hundred thousand and more people into Athens and out again.

The business executive, obviously not a Perdue fan, also takes a shot at the governor for leaving on a trade mission to Europe on Saturday. (Which means he’ll miss a tremendous game.)

You Bulldogs can rest easy. The game will go on. But you might want to make sure the tank is full before you set out for nirvana.

“The governor is not going to consider a ridiculous idea like this,” Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said late Thursday. “We’re also not going to stop living our lives. People understand there are common-sense things they can do.”

Watching Georgia-Alabama on TV is not one of them.

Tim Bryant, the radio host at WGAU (1340AM) in Athens, was kind enough to send us the sound clip of his interview with Pitfield. Listen to the interview here.

But this is the gist of the exchange:

Bryant: This town explodes on game day weekends. The roads get clogged, people pour in from all corners. What are they going to find when they get here?

Pitfield: If I was governor, I’d cancel the game. That is just a huge amount of gasoline, that this structure, this system, this state cannot handle the expenditure on right now.

That gas needs to be used for people to go to work, and for people to take care of their families. I did the same thing with my tennis team yesterday. I told them that I wasn’t going to start wasting gas to go play tennis.

And I’m sorry. I know I’ve got a target on me right now by a couple hundred thousand football fans. Game should be canceled. People need to stay home…..

Bryant: Our local economy depends so much on the dollars that are generated by that kind of traffic.

Pitfield: I don’t think we have even begun to see the blood on the streets that this is going to produce. I think you’re going to see a number of small gasoline stations fail. I would think you may see some distributors fail.

There’s no question that we’ve already seen a number of transportation companies fail. It’s a far bigger puzzle than just the cost of fuel — but the availability of fuel. People can’t hang on much longer. This is getting really bad.

I’m amazed that the governor of Georgia, who for all intents and purposes, is the president and CEO of a multi-billion-dollar corporation — and the corporation is on its knees. It’s been given the death blow.

And here he is, he’s jetting off to Europe on Saturday with complete abandon.

revefsreleets
09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, cancelling the game...THAT'D be a good way to get re-elected!

atlsteelers
09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
i think canceling the game would incite a far greater riot than waiting in line for a couple hours for gas. although i would not be suprised to see somebody getting shot cutting in line at the gas station. its like mad max at the gas station

revefsreleets
09-26-2008, 08:53 AM
i think canceling the game would incite a far greater riot than waiting in line for a couple hours for gas. although i would not be suprised to see somebody getting shot cutting in line at the gas station. its like mad max at the gas station

"Two men enter, one man leaves...break a deal, face the wheel!"

Dino 6 Rings
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
hey dino i know i was drinking but you might want to check your georgia and arizona state score.

Fixed it...

I like Georgia to Beat Alabama, I just don't think Bama has the offense to score enough points to win, but they could have a special teams play or something in them to give them a boost. But I picked Georgia in this one.

revefsreleets
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I concur...although Bama finally DOES have some offense to go with that awesome defense for a change. I just don't think it will be enough...should be a fun game to watch, though...

GoFins11
09-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Another upset in the top 5.

Florida loses to Ole Miss 31-30.

Oh well, Its always great to be a Florida Gator:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
09-27-2008, 07:11 PM
But Ole Miss? Ole Miss?

Youch!

GoFins11
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
But Ole Miss? Ole Miss?

Youch!

SEC, you can't let your guard down. Houston Nutt is a great coach and Ole Miss has benefited greatly.

revefsreleets
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Newsflash: You can't let your guard down in any conference.

rbryan
09-28-2008, 08:52 AM
But the SEC is the bestest conference ever. How could this happen?? Gators lose, Georgia looked like a HS team, Auburn nearly lost to a Tennesee team that is arguably the worst collection of Vols in 10 years. When Alabama suddenly becomes the frontrunner, I've got no choice but to question how strong the SEC really is.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-28-2008, 09:51 AM
But the SEC is the bestest conference ever. How could this happen?? Gators lose, Georgia looked like a HS team, Auburn nearly lost to a Tennesee team that is arguably the worst collection of Vols in 10 years. When Alabama suddenly becomes the frontrunner, I've got no choice but to question how strong the SEC really is.

The SEC is slowly but surely returning to its normal balance with Bama back on top! But, in having said that, if the Tide let their guard down against UK this coming Saturday, they might be the new Florida.

I think that Saban knew that this Alabama team had the chance to do really well this season. He downplayed the team during the preseason while attempting to temper the fans' expectations, but I believe now that it's pretty obvious that this team has all of the tools to win the SEC. But, maybe Florida and UGA are overrated and this will be a weak year for the SEC. I still think that until proven otherwise, LSU is the best team in the conference with Alabama close behind.

GoFins11
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM

The SEC is strong from top to bottom. People like you under rate the "bottom" teams in the SEC. Those teams would any team trouble.

To Crimsontide,

I think Florida at this point is more over rated than Georgia. Bama lead 31-0 at the Half and UGA was still about to score 30 in the 2nd half.

revefsreleets
09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Is till think the SEC is the best conference top-to-bottom, but that doesn't mean they aren't overrated. It's possible to be both...

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Can we please start talking about how freaking good the Big 12 is now...I've been saying I saw one of those teams in the Title game since August...but no, everyone loves the SEC...

Georgia...Choked
Florida...Choked
Bama...playing great still, we'll see how it goes
LSU...has the weakest schedule in the SEC
Tennessee....done
Auburn...can't score points
Miss and Miss State...play real football once every 3 weeks and win some games they probably shouldn't.
Vandy...whatever...its Vandy
Kentucky...yawn
South Carolina...whatever...

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Interesting Stat I heard yesterday

Florida is 0-6 when trailing in the 4th quarter in any game while Teebow is QB

That means Mr Teebow has NEVER lead a 4th quarter comeback...ever...

lilyoder6
09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
i will say right now that the big 12 is VERY good.. i mean look at the standings.. the only bad thing is tho.. that these high ranked teams(ou texas, MU) they will most likely lose to one another.. so they have a harder chance at a NC.. Unless OU is has good has they seem right now
Big 12 Standings
NORTH CONF. W-L OVERALL W-L
Missouri 0-0 4-0
Nebraska 0-0 3-1
Kansas 0-0 3-1
Kansas State 0-0 3-1
Colorado 0-0 3-1
Iowa State 0-0 2-2
SOUTH CONF. W-L OVERALL W-L
Oklahoma State 0-0 4-0
Oklahoma 0-0 4-0
Texas 0-0 4-0
Texas Tech 0-0 4-0
Baylor 0-0 2-2
Texas A&M 0-0 2-2

GoFins11
09-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Interesting Stat I heard yesterday

Florida is 0-6 when trailing in the 4th quarter in any game while Teebow is QB

That means Mr Teebow has NEVER lead a 4th quarter comeback...ever...

Tebow led the team to a touchdown late in the game BUT the extra point was blocked. That PAT would have tied the game.

GoFins11
09-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Can we please start talking about how freaking good the Big 12 is now...I've been saying I saw one of those teams in the Title game since August...but no, everyone loves the SEC...

Georgia...Choked
Florida...Choked
Bama...playing great still, we'll see how it goes
LSU...has the weakest schedule in the SEC
Tennessee....done
Auburn...can't score points
Miss and Miss State...play real football once every 3 weeks and win some games they probably shouldn't.
Vandy...whatever...its Vandy
Kentucky...yawn
South Carolina...whatever...

This Thread is about the SEC. Go start a Big 12 thread.

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, this thread seems to be an apology thread for the SEC and full of nonsense about how "great" the SEC is or at least that its "superior" to the other conferences.

It is not superior. It is just the same as all the others. That's my point. I figured it would be a Big 12 team vs USC in the title game, but now it might just be an SEC vs 12 Title game if LSU can run the table. Of coarse, LSU's out of conference schedule was a disgrace to all football fans around the country.

GoFins11
09-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, this thread seems to be an apology thread for the SEC and full of nonsense about how "great" the SEC is or at least that its "superior" to the other conferences.

It is not superior. It is just the same as all the others. That's my point. I figured it would be a Big 12 team vs USC in the title game, but now it might just be an SEC vs 12 Title game if LSU can run the table. Of coarse, LSU's out of conference schedule was a disgrace to all football fans around the country.

I personally think it is the best conference BUT I know that there are other conferences like the Big 12 that could be just as good. I just get annoyed when people down play the bottom teams in the SEC.

atlsteelers
09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
wow that game sucked a** on saturday. we played like dog sh*t in the first half with a ton of stupid penalties. i sitll have not seen the roughing the passer call the neglected the fumble recovery on alablama's first drive. but its still along season and we still have a chance if we run the table.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
wow that game sucked a** on saturday. we played like dog sh*t in the first half with a ton of stupid penalties. i sitll have not seen the roughing the passer call the neglected the fumble recovery on alablama's first drive. but its still along season and we still have a chance if we run the table.

The Georgia defender rushed in and hit Wilson in the head with his open fist. That's a personal foul every time.

rbryan
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I get annoyed when I hear how the SEC is so much better than every other conference.

Newsflash.....they're not Thier top teams lose to teams they're supposed to beat just like everywhere else. And yeah the bottom dwellers of the SEC would still be at the bottom of the Big 12, Big 10 etc....

revefsreleets
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I give the SEC the slight nod over the Big 12 because the bottom feeders in the SEC are a little better than the Big 12 bottom feeders. But there is no doubt that there is definite resurgency out in the Southwest.

As always, it's cyclical...

Elvis
09-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I get annoyed when I hear how the SEC is so much better than every other conference.

Newsflash.....they're not Thier top teams lose to teams they're supposed to beat just like everywhere else. And yeah the bottom dwellers of the SEC would still be at the bottom of the Big 12, Big 10 etc....
:doh: Dude there is no doubt who the best conference in america is... and that is the SEC!! The Big 12 is a solid conference but not near the SEC bud! Tennesse might just be the worst in the SEC this season and that is sad for all these Vol's fans around here.. I really think the Gators were overrated and I know GA is... or was. But that SEC is still the best in the country

Elvis
09-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Dont see the BullDawgs running the table at all myself. They have a terrocious schedule and they are maybe a top 10 team.. but not a national tittle contender..
:applaudit:

Godfather
09-29-2008, 10:23 AM
LSU's out of conference schedule was a disgrace to all football fans around the country.

LSU had Arizona State on the schedule this year until the Wildcats chickened out. Tulane is the traditional rival and is a lot better this year than people give them credit for. Troy gave Ohio State a tough game. Appy State is the defending I-AA champion and beat Michigan last year.

Only North Texas is a joke.

rbryan
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
:doh: Dude there is no doubt who the best conference in america is... and that is the SEC!! The Big 12 is a solid conference but not near the SEC bud! Tennesse might just be the worst in the SEC this season and that is sad for all these Vol's fans around here.. I really think the Gators were overrated and I know GA is... or was. But that SEC is still the best in the country

Whatever you say....Bud.

You and all the hillbillies around me here in North GA should get together and have a big circle jerk while you're telling each other how great the SEC is. If any of the SEC schools required that thier players read and write at a 7th grade level they wouldn't have enough bodies to field a team.

revefsreleets
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
LSU had Arizona State on the schedule this year until the Wildcats chickened out. Tulane is the traditional rival and is a lot better this year than people give them credit for. Troy gave Ohio State a tough game. Appy State is the defending I-AA champion and beat Michigan last year.

Only North Texas is a joke.

Well, in ASU's defense, don't you think having both LSU and UGA on your OOC schedule might be a little rough?

Godfather
09-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Well, in ASU's defense, don't you think having both LSU and UGA on your OOC schedule might be a little rough?

Nah, it's just the overrated SEC :chuckle:

GoFins11
10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm glad to see Vanderbilt getting some respect. I'm surpised that Alabama is still ranked 2nd after there game with UK.

revefsreleets
10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Vandy is for real...I was a doubter and now I've seen the light.

Dino 6 Rings
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
So, let me get this straight...the best or 2nd best team in the powerful SEC is Vanderbilt?

But the SEC isn't down this season...yeah ok.

GoFins11
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
So, let me get this straight...the best or 2nd best team in the powerful SEC is Vanderbilt?

:yap:

lilyoder6
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
honestly who rly thought that vandy will be atop the sec above teams like georgia, florida, auburn, etc

GoFins11
10-05-2008, 10:58 PM
honestly who rly thought that vandy will be atop the sec above teams like georgia, florida, auburn, etc

Vandy has been up and coming for a while. I don't think they will beat the Gators or UGA but the WILL give them a hard time.

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Vandy has been up and coming for a while. I don't think they will beat the Gators or UGA but the WILL give them a hard time.

Oh, so now I'm supposed to believe that Vandy is all that and a bag of chips huh?

Face it, the fact that Vandy is winning just shows how average the SEC really is.

atlsteelers
10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
i was hoping that auburn would beat vandy and even up the sec east. first we have to beat a bad UT team this weekend and with cutcliff at duke we should stand a much better chance.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 09:13 AM
UT narrowly escaped mid-tier MAC team Northern Illinois. Bad is an understatement.

GoFins11
10-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh, so now I'm supposed to believe that Vandy is all that and a bag of chips huh?

Face it, the fact that Vandy is winning just shows how average the SEC really is.

ok....I'm going to say troll. Yes, you don't like the SEC. We get it.

revefsreleets
10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Thing is, this happens every year in every conference...a top tier team stumbles, and some team that's usually a bottom feeder steps up to fill the void. It usually doesn't last either...

In the Big Ten Northwestern has had a few good years, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue all come to mind. It's all cyclical...

GoFins11
10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Thing is, this happens every year in every conference...a top tier team stumbles, and some team that's usually a bottom feeder steps up to fill the void. It usually doesn't last either...

In the Big Ten Northwestern has had a few good years, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue all come to mind. It's all cyclical...

It makes every season interesting. I'm all for a bottom feeder going worst to first. It's a great story.

Godfather
10-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Um, no. They're in first place in the East right now. That's not the same as being the best team. They haven't played Georgia or Florida yet, and they don't have to play LSU this year. They're respectable--probably a middle of the pack team.

Of course, they could be the mighty PAC-10, which can't figure out how to win a game against the Mountain West :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
ok....I'm going to say troll. Yes, you don't like the SEC. We get it.

:rofl:

troll!

ha ha ha ha!

It isn't that I don't like the SEC, its simply that I don't recognize them as that much better than any other conference.

Florida lost at home to Ole Miss
Tennessee can't get out of its own way
LSU has the weakest Out of Conference schedule in all Div I football
Miss State hasn't been good for a long time
South Carolina continues to under acheive
Auburn lost at Vandy and has 2 losses, they are done.
Bama is a suprise. Clap Clap
Arkansas is way down.
Ole Miss is Ole Miss
Georgia Choked...again.
Kentucky is an average team.
and Vandy...wow.

So it needs to be recognized that the SEC is just like all the other conferences with its ups and downs and this year, is not the best conference in Div I football.

rbryan
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
You forgot that Alabama only beat a pathetic Kentucky team by 7 points this week. How they are ranked at #2 is beyond me.

No worries though, Alabama will lose at least two games in conference. But of course thats only because the SEC is the best conf in football.....right?

Godfather
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
:rofl:
LSU has the weakest Out of Conference schedule in all Div I football

Only because big bad Pac-10 opponent Arizona State CHICKENED out.

MasterOfPuppets
10-06-2008, 04:00 PM
this is exactly why i think when they do start a playoff system, there should be a representative from each conference.....then not only would there be conference rivalries, but more :thumbsup:out of conference rivalries would develope.....

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
this is exactly why i think when they do start a playoff system, there should be a representative from each conference.....then not only would there be conference rivalries, but more :thumbsup:out of conference rivalries would develope.....

I agree, top teams from each BCS Conference, gives you 6 teams, then 2 at large bids.

8 team playoff, works it all out on the field.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
You forgot that Alabama only beat a pathetic Kentucky team by 7 points this week. How they are ranked at #2 is beyond me.

No worries though, Alabama will lose at least two games in conference. But of course thats only because the SEC is the best conf in football.....right?

Bama was due for a little letdown after the big win over UGA the week before. Plus, UK is a really good team defensively. This Alabama team reminds me of the 1992 team. Hot one week, luke warm the next week, but they won every game and then smashed a heavily favored Miami team in the Sugar Bowl for the national title.

The Big XII is overrated. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are pretenders as usual. Texas or Oklahoma will cancel one or the other out this weekend. Missouri will probably lose in Austin.

atlsteelers
10-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah its seems everybody has already forgotton how the dawgs dismantled okahoma state at home last year, how west virginia destroyed oklahoma last year or how boise beat them and how USC destroyed them in the NCG.

the SEC always beats itself up during the conference games. But we play pretty well in the NCG and thats what counts.

revefsreleets
10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Big 12 is the top conference right now...sorry SEC homers, but the worm has turned (as it always does).

atlsteelers
10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
agree to disagree. happens every year, we beat up on each other, others take that as sign of weakness, then if the chips fall for a one or two loss team from the SEC to enter NCG we kick but.

revefsreleets
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Conference play JUST started...and Big 12 has 6 teams in the top 17. See, the same thing you guys always harp about happens in EVERY conference. The Big 12 will beat each other up. So will the Pac 10 and Big 10. The SEC just had a few years where they were a little stronger top to bottom...but now it's the Big 12's turn...

atlsteelers
10-08-2008, 07:04 AM
SEC vs. Big 12? The difference is defense
By Tony Barnhart | Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 04:17 AM

• Ole Miss, picked to finish no better than fourth in the SEC West, beats No. 4 Florida in The Swamp, 31-30.

• Vanderbilt, which has not been to a bowl in 25 years, beats Auburn, ranked in the Top 10 earlier in the season, 14-13 in Nashville.

• Alabama, the No. 2 team in the nation, has to fight just to get by Kentucky 17-14 in Tuscaloosa.

• Georgia, which started the season No. 1, gets blasted 31-3 in the first half at home by Alabama on the way to a 41-30 loss.

Meanwhile, last Saturday:

Missouri beats Nebraska (52-17), Texas beats Colorado (38-14), Oklahoma beats Baylor (49-17), and Texas Tech beats Kansas State (58-28). This week the Big 12 has four of the top seven teams in the country in the AP Poll.

Therefore, the Big 12 is a stronger conference than the SEC.

Huh?

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. Two weeks ago when the SEC had five of the nation’s Top 10 teams it was the best conference in the country. No argument. But now that those teams are getting into conference play and are beating each other up, goes the logic, the SEC has been exposed as not being so good. Those Big 12 teams are rolling up those big numbers on offense so they have to be better, right?

Wrong.

This is the mistake a lot of fans and a lot of the poll voters outside the South make. They equate high-scoring football with quality football. That ain’t the way it works.

Don’t get me wrong. Those Big 12 teams are really, really good. In fact, I expect the SEC champion to be playing one of them in the BCS title game come Jan. 8 (Sorry, Penn State fans. It ain’t gonna happen. If it comes down to it, you’ll pay for the sins of Ohio State the past two years).

There is a reason that the SEC has won the last two national championships and, quite frankly, made it look easy in the BCS title game. It’s called defense.

There are more really good defenses in the SEC than in any league in the country. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact. Three of the nation’s top five teams in scoring defense (No. 1 Kentucky, No. 2 Auburn, No. 4 Florida) and seven of the top 19 teams in total defense reside in the SEC. There is only one Big 12 team in the top 20 in total defense (No. 11 Oklahoma). The highest rated defense after that is Texas at No. 28.

Granted, this is a close call because the quarterback play in the Big 12 is beyond great. I can’t recall the last time I saw a conference so deep in big-time quarterbacks with Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), Colt McCoy (Texas), Chase Daniel (Missouri), Graham Harrell (Texas Tech) and Todd Reesing (Kansas).

But on Sunday and Monday people were talking about Big 12 superiority like it was a slam dunk. It’s not.

Aside from defense, here’s the difference in my mind. If you want to compare the top half of the Big 12 (Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas are all in the Top 17) against the top half of the SEC (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt, Auburn are all in the Top 20), that’s fine.

But look at the bottom half of both leagues. Kansas State, Nebraska, Iowa State, Colorado, Baylor, and Texas A&M all lost their Big 12 openers. Virginia Tech went to Nebraska and won 35-30. Iowa State lost to a terrible Iowa team 17-5. Texas A&M lost to Arkansas State at home (18-14).

In the second division of the SEC, South Carolina (4-2) played Georgia to a 14-7 game when the Bulldogs were ranked No. 2 and last week went on the road to beat Ole Miss. Kentucky (4-1) went on the road and played No. 2 Alabama to a three-point game. Ole Miss (3-3) went to Florida and gave Urban Meyer only his second loss in The Swamp. Mississippi State lost a defensive battle with Auburn (3-2). Tennessee (2-3) has struggled on offense but there is only one truly bad team and that’s Arkansas (2-3). But even the Hogs hung tough with Florida before the Gators got a couple of late score on Saturday to win 38-7.

Bottom line: The difference in the leagues is defense and how tough it is to win on the road. I don’t think anybody in the Big 12 is afraid to play at Iowa State or Texas A&M, the bottom two teams in that conference. Going to Starkville or Knoxville is a different story.

If I’m wrong, tell me why. If you can look at these two conferences top to bottom, which is how you should judge a conference, and tell me that the Big 12’s better I would love to hear your argument.

rbryan
10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
The AJC??? Can you use it to line the birdcage the same as any other rag?? What makes you think the opinion of a sportswriter from Atlanta would be anything but pro SEC??? How you rank any of these teams when no one has played more than 1 or 2 credible opponents and 4 creampuffs is a joke to begin with.

I have an idea, maybe wait another 6 weeks and get back to me. In the meantime, if you like I'll keep an eye out for any articles coming out of the midwest, NE, or west coast and post them too.......lol

GoFins11
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
The AJC??? Can you use it to line the birdcage the same as any other rag?? What makes you think the opinion of a sportswriter from Atlanta would be anything but pro SEC??? How you rank any of these teams when no one has played more than 1 or 2 credible opponents and 4 creampuffs is a joke to begin with.

I have an idea, maybe wait another 6 weeks and get back to me. In the meantime, if you like I'll keep an eye out for any articles coming out of the midwest, NE, or west coast and post them too.......lol

What if the writer is really a GT fan. Ever think of that? j/k:flap:

revefsreleets
10-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Or could it just be that the SEC is down a little offensively this year?

Auburn 3
Mississippi State 2

This homer isn't about to write an article deriding his conference.

lilyoder6
10-08-2008, 09:14 AM
that auburn game was freaking crazy.. i went to watch football.. and it ended up being baseball..lol

GoFins11
10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
that auburn game was freaking crazy.. i went to watch football.. and it ended up being baseball..lol

It was a classic gridiron battle. I love a hard fought games in the rain and mud.

lilyoder6
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM
or it showed how auburn's offense took a 180 and now can barely put up points

Dino 6 Rings
10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
kind of ignored that entire Miss State loss to Louisiana Tech in this argument.

I tend to think the SEC can't score many points this season and have to win games on the defensive side of the ball.

Case in point. What SEC QBs are going to the NFL in the top of the draft?

waiting...

GoFins11
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
kind of ignored that entire Miss State loss to Louisiana Tech in this argument.

I tend to think the SEC can't score many points this season and have to win games on the defensive side of the ball.

Case in point. What SEC QBs are going to the NFL in the top of the draft?

waiting...

:blah: We might as well call it the "I hate the SEC" thread.

rbryan
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't go quite that far.

Maybe rename it "The SEC isn't nearly as good as some fans would like to think".....lol

GoFins11
10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't go quite that far.

Maybe rename it "The SEC isn't nearly as good as some fans would like to think".....lol

:coffee:

Anyway, SEC news

Aurburn fired their first year Offensive Coordinator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3632904

revefsreleets
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I like "SEC: Second Best Major Conference in Football 2008".

Nothing wrong with being #2 guys...it was inevitable.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 10:56 AM
:coffee:

Anyway, SEC news

Aurburn fired their first year Offensive Coordinator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3632904

Huge News, apparently on talk radio here in Arkansas (Auburn's next opponent) there was some problems between Tubb wanting to go with Burns and the now fired OC wanting to go with his guy.

Arkansas better be ready to put 8 in the box for 60 minutes cause Tub is going to run the ball down their throat.

GoFins11
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Huge News, apparently on talk radio here in Arkansas (Auburn's next opponent) there was some problems between Tubb wanting to go with Burns and the now fired OC wanting to go with his guy.

Arkansas better be ready to put 8 in the box for 60 minutes cause Tub is going to run the ball down their throat.

Yeah, Auburn needs to get away from their "Spread Offense Experiment". It hasn't really worked so far. Get back to the nosed run down your throat.

GoFins11
10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I like "SEC: Second Best Major Conference in Football 2008".

Nothing wrong with being #2 guys...it was inevitable.

Its all opinion.

revefsreleets
10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Of course it's opinion. And the growing concensus (of opinion) is that the Big 12 has stepped up it's game and has taken over the top spot.

Or did you think it was just ME saying that?

GoFins11
10-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Of course it's opinion. And the growing concensus (of opinion) is that the Big 12 has stepped up it's game and has taken over the top spot.

Or did you think it was just ME saying that?

Its all opinion so it doesn't matter. The SEC really hasn't played the Big 12 or the teams that they have played and in Vise versa. Its hard to prove any of it.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Auburn needs to get away from their "Spread Offense Experiment". It hasn't really worked so far. Get back to the nosed run down your throat.

Tuberville is on shaky ground. Sports talk radio in Alabama is lighting him up today. He's totally to blame for the debacle that is Auburn football this season. Franklin was not given the freedom to take over the offense like he should have been able to and on top of that, Franklin didn't have assistant coaches around him who know how to coach his type of spread offense.

What reputable, successful offensive coordinator out there will want to coach under Tuberville now? AU has had six offensive coordinators in ten years.

GoFins11
10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Tuberville is on shaky ground. Sports talk radio in Alabama is lighting him up today. He's totally to blame for the debacle that is Auburn football this season. Franklin was not given the freedom to take over the offense like he should have been able to and on top of that, Franklin didn't have assistant coaches around him who know how to coach his type of spread offense.

What reputable, successful offensive coordinator out there will want to coach under Tuberville now? AU has had six offensive coordinators in ten years.

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Dino 6 Rings
10-09-2008, 04:27 PM

I have a feeling Auburn is going to slap around Arkansas this weekend, bad.

Then they have to go up to WVU for a tough game, but since the Defensive Coach at Auburn is very familiar with WVU, they have a shot of shutting down the West Virginia offense and pounding the ball down the throats of WVU. (I'll be cheering for the Big East but reality is, Auburn Should win that game). After that, 2 tough games left. If he loses to Georgia but beats Bama, he's very safe in his job. Especially if its a ranked Bama team that has a chance at an SEC title or even more. Beating Bama this year would be so much better than beating them a year they are down, and Tommy has Owned the Iron Bowl. In SEC Country, we know darn well, if Tommy wins the Iron Bowl this year, his job is safe.

GoFins11
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm nervous about tomorrow. Can the Gators beat LSU? Well we haven't seen the fire out of our offense like we are used to see.

Convetional wisdom would state that LSU will win. But I have a funny feeling in my gut. I think UF will surprise the tigers and win a close game.

UF 24-17

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
LSU - 31
FLA - 17

GoFins11
10-10-2008, 10:42 PM
LSU - 31
FLA - 17

I can see that happening too:doh:

revefsreleets
10-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I got LSU, because I've seen both of them play...but I'm mystified by the Oklahoma/Texas game. 1 and 5 and I have literally NO idea who wins that game. My gut says OU, but that's based on nothing at all but a feeling...

lilyoder6
10-11-2008, 09:39 AM
i think both games ou/texas and lsu/florida will be good games... i mean it's the last 2 NC champs playing each other.. i think it'll be closer than thought of. wonder if percy is playin??

and the ou/texas game will be interesting.. basically it'll be ou's first real test and i would like to see ou win to set up for a better game next week against #3 MU

Godfather
10-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I have a feeling Auburn is going to slap around Arkansas this weekend, bad.

How did you figure that out? :sofunny:

Arky is terrible this year. One of the worst teams in the history of college football.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
10-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Go Hawgs!!! Auburn is a sinking ship.

GoFins11
10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
#12 Florida defeats #3 LSU

51-21:applaudit:

revefsreleets
10-11-2008, 11:09 PM
That doesn't help the SEC cause though...shows parity. Vandy lost too...

GoFins11
10-11-2008, 11:13 PM
That doesn't help the SEC cause though...shows parity. Vandy lost too...

LSU didn't deserve #3 anyway. Mediocre QBs at best IMO.

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Losing at home to Arkansas...horrible showing by Auburn.

Horrible...sad sad sad...Hogs are horrible, to lose to them at home...disgraceful.

Someone's job is on the line now at Auburn.

lilyoder6
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
i knew that florida was gonna beat lsu.. lsu hasn't had constant good play thru the yr.. and i think florida had something to prove..

atlsteelers
10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
wow - florida looked good on saturday night. they looked fast. urban needed that win to take some heat off of him from the florida fans. they look real dangerous right now. we played okay agianst UT but we did lose our 3rd offensive left tackle for the season. thats some tough medicine to swallow, we are beat up on both lines with the meat off our schedule still infront of us.

revefsreleets
10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll say this. Hands down, an undefeated SEC team deserves to play an undefeated Big 12 team for the NC.

But it ain't gonna happen. When OKST beat Mizzou, there is just no way any team from either conference goes unscathed.

The bad news is I think USC will cruise into the NC game because they didn't get penalized enough for losing to a very mediocre Oregon State team. This won't be fair to a one loss SEC or Big 12 team if one of them gets overlooked for the big dance.

PSU also very much has their fate in their own hands. Win out and they are in.

atlsteelers
10-13-2008, 08:39 AM
i know i think Mizzou has a really good chance of beating texas this weekend? PSU is looking real good right now and USC is still getting a pass for the defeat to a bad oregon state team.

atlsteelers
10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Losing at home to Arkansas...horrible showing by Auburn.

Horrible...sad sad sad...Hogs are horrible, to lose to them at home...disgraceful.

Someone's job is on the line now at Auburn.

tubberville is always on thin ice. he really wanted to hammer petrino this past weekend and got beat. remeber it was petrino - tubberville's so called friend talking about taking the auburn job.

atlsteelers
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
bowdens gone is tubberville or fulmer next?