PDA

View Full Version : Jim Miller on Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene

tony hipchest
07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
jim miller gets lots of air time as a regular fill in host on several of the sirius radio shows.

today he was asked whick player he was most afraid of in the locker room of all the teams he played for.

without hesitation he said greg lloyd and kevin green.

he said they used to clobber him all the time when he ran the scout team as the 3rd string qb in pittsburgh, despite cowher yelling at them for hitting the qb. he said they would hit him pretty hard.

kevin green- "he was crazy. you just knew he was off his rocker."

greg lloyd- "as an 8th degree black belt in tae kwon do, that is one sucker you knew you didnt want to mess with. he would just come up to me and punch me in the stomach." :sofunny:

he went on to say they were the greatest teammates in the world, and as a youngster, he knew they were just testing him, seeing what he was made of, and getting him battle hardened.... i.e. making sure he wasnt a wuss.

steeltheone
07-17-2008, 08:46 PM
They had the mentality it takes to be the leaders of a bad a** defense.

xfl2001fan
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I hated seeing those two guys on the field. That was one of the scariest OLB tandems I've seen in the NFL.

MACH1
07-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I think the whole nfl was afraid to face them two and the entire defense back then. One of the best defenses we had.

X-Terminator
07-17-2008, 11:46 PM
How many fines would you think a prime Lloyd would have gotten under today's rules? He would certainly have passed Rodney Harrison as the dirtiest player in the league, and would have been proud of it.

BTW, for those who didn't know, Lloyd runs a few TKD schools in NC. My Tang Soo Do instructor had a chance to meet him once, and according to him was a real nice guy. I'm sure he doesn't take it easy on his students though.

Preacher
07-18-2008, 12:35 AM
he knew they were just testing him, seeing what he was made of, and getting him battle hardened.... i.e. making sure he wasnt a wuss.

In my youth, we always used to say--better to get hit by a team mate in practice-- then by an opposing player in a game.

They just don't hit as hard... game speed is just faster.

tony hipchest
07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
In my youth, we always used to say--better to get hit by a team mate in practice-- then by an opposing player in a game.

They just don't hit as hard... game speed is just faster.lol.

according to miller, these 2 didnt know (or simply didnt care about) the difference between "game speed" and practice speed.

"quiver and quake" baby! :tt02:

Preacher
07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Here is to hoping that we have three more in Harrison, Timmons, and Woodley who are the same way.

Galax Steeler
07-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Here is to hoping that we have three more in Harrison, Timmons, and Woodley who are the same way.

I hope you are right but they will never be another Loyd and Green those two guys was bad and wasnt affraid to hit.

KeiselPower99
07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Cant argue with it they was just plain nasty.

jjpro11
07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
those are the type of guys you love to have on your side. harrison has shown flashes that he can be just as intimidating too. it was cool to see him stick up for a young anthony smith when marsha started talking. and when that player starts beating up both the opposing team and their fans (clowns), you know he means business.

redst3
07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I hope you are right but they will never be another Loyd and Green those two guys was bad and wasnt affraid to hit.

I don't know. James Harrison could give them a run for their money.

I don't know which Lloyd to think about, the one on the field, or the one who went nuts when he found out they cut or him...or even more unpleasant....the one who allegedly put a gun in his 12 year old son's mouth....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Greg Lloyd is one of my all-time favorite Steelers. He was just 110% badass.

redst3
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Wasn't he the one who accused McCardell of leaving a threatening message on his phone in 1994 and then clotheslined him at the end of the game the Steelers won in the playoffs? Later McCardell said he didn't leave such a message.

I think Lloyd just convinced himself of itů.:rofl:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Wasn't he the one who accused McCardell of leaving a threatening message on his phone in 1994 and then clotheslined him at the end of the game the Steelers won in the playoffs? Later McCardell said he didn't leave such a message.

I think Lloyd just convinced himself of itů.:rofl:

I don't remember that but I sure wouldn't put it past his crazy ass.

redst3
07-18-2008, 01:24 PM
It was 1997. Here's the story. I still think he clotheslined somebody in that 1994 playoff game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/19991003wrapsteel9.asp

Elvis
07-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for all the memories, what an article. I love it and it just goes to show that 2 great teams have learned from each other on how to win football games.
:coffee:

slashsteel
07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Kevin & Greg the best OLB tandem in history! :)

redst3
07-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Kevin & Greg the best OLB tandem in history! :)...or maybe Hamm and Russell? Apples and Oranges since those guys played in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4

Preacher
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM
What made me laugh.... is the phone call.

Greg Lloyd came out of nowhere to crush an unsuspecting Keenan McCardell in 1997 here, then he came out of the blue with his explanation. Lloyd accused the Jaguars' wide receiver of making a threatening phone call to his family the week before the game.
Hello, Greg, this is Keenan McCardell of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and I'm going to KILL you. See you Sunday. Click.
"So," said an incredulous Earl Holmes of the Steelers, "you're telling me that wasn't actually him who made that call?"
Hmmmm.
"I just know Greg was teed off."

You just KNOW Earl Holmes made that call... or had a buddy do it.

redst3
07-19-2008, 04:44 AM
As far as I know I have both games on video. Later today if I get time I will dig them out and try to find it. I think it is at the end of the game, but I could have sworn that happened in 1994 against Cleveland. I remember that it was at the end of the game when he did it and it was really dirty. :chuckle:

The reason I don’t think it was in 1997 was the first game was the game where Norm Johnson missed the FG and Jville won. It was a night game. the next game the Steelers won in OT at 3 Rivers in the rain.

I'll try to find it later.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-19-2008, 01:41 PM
lol.

according to miller, these 2 didnt know (or simply didnt care about) the difference between "game speed" and practice speed.

"quiver and quake" baby! :tt02:

Bizzness is bizzness. Great take by Miller.

Wonder if Lloyd or Greene has an opinon about the Rooney Cash Out? Nahhhhhhh. The way they parted with the Steelers was nearly tragic. Bizzness.